Sam Darnold's WRs in 2020 (analysis of snaps)

Just bored......

Sam Darnold played all the Jets snaps at QB in 12 games (except for 4 snap in one of those 12 games - I'm just going to count those 4 snaps in the following analysis since I can't pull them out)

In those 12 games, Darnold played 739 snaps (61.6 snaps per game)

In those 12 games, the total WR offensive snaps was 2,041 or an average of 2.76 WRs per offensive play 

These were the total WR snaps in those games in which Darnold played 100% of the snaps:

1. Breshad Perriman  484 snaps (65% of Darnold's snaps)
  2. Jamison Crowder 391 snaps (53% of Darnold's snaps)
  3. Denzel Mims 341 snaps (46% of Darnold's snaps)
  4. Braxton Berrios 242 snaps (33% of Darnold's snaps)
  5. Chris Hogan 229 snaps (31% of Darnold's snaps)
  6. Jeff Smith 181 snaps (24% of Darnold's snaps)
  7. Josh Malone 80 snaps (11% of Darnold's snaps)
  8. Vyncint Smith 45 snaps (6% of Darnold's snaps)
  9. Lawrence Cager 39 snaps (5% of Darnold's snaps)
  10. Jaleel Scott 9  snaps (1% of Darnold's snaps)

Perriman, Crowder, and Mims had the 3 highest WR snap counts in 4 of the 12 games in which Darnold played 100% of the plays at QB.  

• All 3 of those played together in 5 of Darnold's 12 games
  • 2 of those 3 played together in 3 of Darnold's 12 games
  • 1 of those 3 played in in 3 of Darnold's 12 games
  • 0 of those 3 played in 1 of Darnold's 12 games
  • Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Just bored......

Sam Darnold played all the Jets snaps at QB in 12 games (except for 4 snap in one of those 12 games - I'm just going to count those 4 snaps in the following analysis since I can't pull them out)

In those 12 games, Darnold played 739 snaps (61.6 snaps per game)

In those 12 games, the total WR offensive snaps was 2,041 or an average of 2.76 WRs per offensive play 

These were the total WR snaps in those games in which Darnold played 100% of the snaps:

1. Breshad Perriman  484 snaps (65% of Darnold's snaps)
  2. Jamison Crowder 391 snaps (53% of Darnold's snaps)
  3. Denzel Mims 341 snaps (46% of Darnold's snaps)
  4. Braxton Berrios 242 snaps (33% of Darnold's snaps)
  5. Chris Hogan 229 snaps (31% of Darnold's snaps)
  6. Jeff Smith 181 snaps (24% of Darnold's snaps)
  7. Josh Malone 80 snaps (11% of Darnold's snaps)
  8. Vyncint Smith 45 snaps (6% of Darnold's snaps)
  9. Lawrence Cager 39 snaps (5% of Darnold's snaps)
  10. Jaleel Scott 9  snaps (1% of Darnold's snaps)

Perriman, Crowder, and Mims had the 3 highest WR snap counts in 4 of the 12 games in which Darnold played 100% of the plays at QB.  

• All 3 of those played together in 5 of Darnold's 12 games
  • 2 of those 3 played together in 3 of Darnold's 12 games
  • 1 of those 3 played in in 3 of Darnold's 12 games
  • 0 of those 3 played in 1 of Darnold's 12 games

Im glad you we're bored. What did Darnold have to throw to. junk. The only good receiver he had was Crowder. How has Crowder fared with Darnold at QB. Very well. Thank you.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, genot said:

Flacco started 4 games. Threw for over 200 yds in one game. We lost all 4 games. Please. 

He threw over 200 in two games(NE and LAC). In addition, the offense visually looked much better with Flacco as QB. His deep ball still works. They actually looked decent in the NE game. 

Fun fact - Darnold started 12 games and threw for over 200 yards in 4 of them.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, dcJet said:

You know, it's possible that all are true - Gaze's offense was terrible, the Jets receivers were scrubs and Sammy sucks.

Yes.  And we also can confirm that Flacco > Darnold.  Which is just plain sad.  Flacco visibly did not want to be on the field, and had one foot in retirement.

7 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

He threw over 200 in two games(NE and LAC). In addition, the offense visually looked much better with Flacco as QB. His deep ball still works. They actually looked decent in the NE game. 

Fun fact - Darnold started 12 games and threw for over 200 yards in 4 of them.

He threw for 205 yds against LAC. Wow. We scored 10 points against Arizona. Got shutout by Miami. The offense looked better the last two games he started. Not much of a sample size. You know, something can be said about experience. Flacco been in the league 9 years longer than Sam. When he was drafted by the Ravens they actually had something called a QB coach. Jim Zorn. Isn't that interesting

31 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

The offense actually looked competent with the corpse of Joe Flacco at QB.

You mean the offense that had both the starting WRs and the starting slot receiver all on the field at the same time? 

That offense? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, JTJet said:

You mean the offense that had both the starting WRs and the starting slot receiver all on the field at the same time? 

That offense? 

Compare Darnold's start vs NE and Flacco's, then tell me who the better QB is.

Berrios/Crowder/Perriman/Mims all played in those games - though Darnold can't get Mims the ball but that's a different discussion.

• Upvote 1

Our GM sucked miserably last season at his job. He counted on a day two rookie to make major contribution to an already struggling passing offense. Before that signed Perriman as a number two option. Add those two along with Crowder and you'll think that there's at least two more better receivers over them in the depth chart right? Nope! Or at least there's depth of average to above average receivers under them right? Nope! Sam Darnold was trash last season, however our GM was even worse. Now that he's selected a coach and had two years of acclimated salaries going off the books, he'll definitely come out in better shape.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

37 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

The offense actually looked competent with the corpse of Joe Flacco at QB.

One game.  

Everyone keeps saying that off of the Pats game, a horrendous D that had a bad night.  Forget the shut out and 25 or so QBrating before that though

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

One game.  

Everyone keeps saying that off of the Pats game, a horrendous D that had a bad night.  Forget the shut out and 25 or so QBrating before that though

Darnold played the same team with the same weapons week 17. How'd he look? Note - this is also a team that was eliminated from the playoffs and had zero to play for.

Extend or release Crowder. If released sign JuJu Smith. 

Sign Corey Davis and let Perriman walk.

Draft two receivers. Make one a day 2 selection along with a day 3 selection who can return kicks and punts.

Juju Smith

Corey Davis 

Mims

3rd Rounder Targets

Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State

Tamorrion Terry, WR, Florida State

Dyami Browns, WR, North Carolina 

4th/5th Rounder Targets

Cornell Powell, WR, Clemson

Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas

JuJu, Davis, Mims, Wallace, Powell along with one more reliable vet on the cheap.

37 minutes ago, genot said:

Flacco started 4 games. Threw for over 200 yds in one game. We lost all 4 games. Please. 

Incorrect.

Flacco threw for over 200 yards twice (i.e. in half his games).

Meanwhile, Darnold only threw for over 200 yards 4 times in 12 starts (i.e. in only one-third of his games)

The fault falls collectively on everyone. I don't want to say "Sam had no receivers". I think that no QB would thrive in Sam's shoes. 

Having been said, on top of playing in a difficult scheme that puts tremendous responsibility (burden) on the QB, he's had to play in this offense: 

• Bottom-6 in play-action usage 
  • Bottom-3 in pre-snap motion 
  • Highest % of drop backs Under Pressure 
  • Several injuries among the OL (all 3 years) 
  • Several injuries among the WRs (all 3 years)

I get people wanting the flashy new toy. I get wanting a fresh start. I get those who think Wilson has a chance to be a great QB. None of that changes the fact that this offense set up QBs to fail. Not just Darnold. Anyone. Insert player and they would've done poorly. Don't care who it is. I don't think you'll find a QB who has ever had to go through what Sam has in the first 3 years in his career ever. May have to look pre Super Bowl era to find one. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, genot said:

He threw for 205 yds against LAC. Wow. We scored 10 points against Arizona. Got shutout by Miami. The offense looked better the last two games he started. Not much of a sample size. You know, something can be said about experience. Flacco been in the league 9 years longer than Sam. When he was drafted by the Ravens they actually had something called a QB coach. Jim Zorn. Isn't that interesting

The fact that it was even close between a 23 year old Darnold and a washed up Flacco is the point (and, make no mistake about it, Flacco outplayed him). 

Darnold sucks. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Incorrect.

Flacco threw for over 200 yards twice (i.e. in half his games).

Meanwhile, Darnold only threw for over 200 yards 4 times in 12 starts (i.e. in only one-third of his games)

He threw for 205 yds against LA. Excuse me. You get the point. With 9 years more NFL experience, he didn't perform any better. We lost all those games. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, genot said:

He threw for 205 yds against LA. Excuse me. You get the point. With 9 years more NFL experience, he didn't perform any better. We lost all those games. 

What are you babbling about? Darnold is supposed to be considerably better than his washed up backup. Come on!

Compare Flacco with 3 years of experience to Darnold. You guys are legitimately delusional about Sam. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The fact that it was even close between a 23 year old Darnold and a washed up Flacco is the point (and, make no mistake about it, Flacco outplayed him). 

Darnold sucks. 

We lost all the games. Flacco got shutout by Miami and put up 10 points against Arizona. He did as much as Darnold did, or any other QB , would have done. Nothing. Your using a two game sample size to prove your point. Two games we lost, with one game flacco exploding for 205 yds. Try harder

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

What are you babbling about? Darnold is supposed to be considerably better than his washed up backup. Come on!

Compare Flacco with 3 years of experience to Darnold. You guys are legitimately delusional about Sam. 

It's just too hard for people to reconcile that they're wrong about Darnold. He's not the reason the team is bad, to be clear. If you've watched Darnold play with any sort of scrutiny, you understand that the team is not the sole issue with him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

It's just too hard for people to reconcile that they're wrong about Darnold. He's not the reason the team is bad, to be clear. If you've watched Darnold play with any sort of scrutiny, you understand that the team is not the sole issue with him.

I definitely think it's that people fell hard for him. We really believed in him on draft day and thought he was the goods. But the Darnold bros have jumped the shark.

You have people ignoring almost 40 starts of consistently below average play and talking about Sam like he's a rookie. It's actually sad. Sam has started more games for us than either Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick. At some point, people have to wake up and look at things critically. 

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

I definitely think it's that people fell hard for him. We really believed in him on draft day and thought he was the goods. But the Darnold bros have jumped the shark.

You have people ignoring almost 40 starts of consistently below average play and talking about Sam like he's a rookie. It's actually sad. Sam has started more games for us than either Geno Smith or Ryan Fitzpatrick. At some point, people have to wake up and look at things critically. 

At some point, you gotta realize the guy isn't 'the guy'.

In addition - I think he'll be back next year and he'll start week 1! I believe they will draft the QB they like the most #2 OVR, let Darnold start, go to the rookie around week 8/whenever they think he's ready, then let Darnold walk in the offseason by declining his option.

• Upvote 1