Here we go.......Mike Lombardi Reports the 49ers are Targeting Sam Darnold!!!

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

....or it could be that the reason the top HC prospect and top OC prospect in the NFL came to New Jersey and the godforsaken Jets because they see what Kyle Shanahan sees-  we have a franchise quarterback already and the #2 pick in the draft with which to build around him.

It's always puzzled me how easy it was to get Saleh and LaFleur in here.  Well, if you allow yourself to believe that they knew Darnold would be perfect in their offense, things suddenly make a lot of sense.

SAR I

I see you’ve locked onto this narrative the way you did when you were convinced Gase would be retained in 2021. I have news for you: You will be as right about this as you were with Gase. 

54 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Point of clarification...***Five*** years of a rookie WR or one more year of qb, after which you need to either pay him an ridiculous amount of money given his resume or let him walk for nothing. The latter is actually the firable offense. Sorry, and no offense, but If you can make the trade and Joe believes in said WR, IMO you make it 100 times out of 100.

They wouldn't be trading for him as a one year stopgap. Would they. 

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

I see you’ve locked onto this narrative the way you did when you were convinced Gase would be retained in 2021. I have news for you: You will be as right about this as you were with Gase. 

I don’t care about Adam Gase or Sam Darnold. I am numb to the entire team, frankly.  

But if Adam Gase is as awful as you say he is then how can you judge Sam Darnold properly?  Surely Gase ruined him, right?

SAR I

On 3/6/2021 at 8:34 PM, SAR I said:

If we are running a Shanahan offense.

And if the Shanahan's believe Sam Darnold is a perfect quarterback for it.

Then we are keeping Sam Darnold.

SAR I

Gase: Sorry but your credibility is sorely overrated. 

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

I don’t care about Adam Gase or Sam Darnold. I am numb to the entire team, frankly.  

But if Adam Gase is as awful as you say he is then how can you judge Sam Darnold properly?  Surely Gase ruined him, right?

SAR I

i read a quote somewhere today that said "if the jets were devising a plan to draft darnold and then completely ruin his career, what would they do differently than what they have done the past 3 years"

the answer is nothing. put him behind a terrible oline, with crap rbs and have him throw to a receiving corps devoid of talent. and then have a crap defense also so he is constantly in comeback mode. voila......

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, neckdemon said:

i read a quote somewhere today that said "if the jets were devising a plan to draft darnold and then completely ruin his career, what would they do differently than what they have done the past 3 years"

the answer is nothing. put him behind a terrible oline, with crap rbs and have him throw to a receiving corps devoid of talent. and then have a crap defense also so he is constantly in comeback mode. voila......

Yup.  We have a knack of doing that to all our USC quarterbacks. I think we’re keeping Darnold. 

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

43 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

If we do, it’s with a rookie to compete.  I truly believe Ron Rivera would get Sam to the next level 

If we commit to Darnold this year it should be with a team friendly clause extension if he performs well ... I mean ,.. if the team takes the risk to keep him he should not rape us with the extension if the miracle turnaround occurs. Has something like that ever been done before ?

Seems like all the more reason to draft Wilson ... as insurance, leverage and trade value.

Edited by Dunnie

13 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

If we commit to Darnold this year it should be with a team friendly clause extension if he performs well ... I mean ,.. if the team takes the risk to keep him he should not rape us with the extension if the miracle turnaround occurs. Has something like that ever been done before ?

Seems like all the more reason to draft Wilson ... as insurance, leverage and trade value.

drafting wilson and keeping darnold is a viable option. 

14 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Why keep playing the excuses and what if game with the leagues worst QB? Why not just trade him and let him be someone else’s problem? 

Sending Darnold is pretty high career risk for JD. 

What happens if Darnold is traded to SF and he excels there - turns it around under the same offense and from a coaching staff with same lineage as ours.  JD's credibility for his core responsibility  - player talent evaluation and their ability to help the Jets win goes to crap immediately.  He would have to hit big time with a QB in the draft or FA. 

• Upvote 1

Sending Darnold is pretty high career risk for JD. 
What happens if Darnold is traded to SF and he excels there - turns it around under the same offense and from a coaching staff with same lineage as ours.  JD's credibility for his core responsibility  - player talent evaluation and their ability to help the Jets win goes to crap immediately.  He would have to hit big time with a QB in the draft or FA. 

It only "goes to crap" if his replacement flops. If Sam goes to SC as in your example and does well, but our drafted qb also comes in and does well, is anyone really going to look badly on Douglas? That will be a strike against Gase for (as with Tannehill) wasting a good young QB.
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Adobolo said:

I think people over rate Jimmy because his team made a superbowl and to give him his due he played well for the first three quarters of that superbowl with short intermediary passing to complement their great running game but it was his fault they lost that superbowl in the fourth quarter and if you don't believe me go back and watch it.

He wasn't even trusted in the playoff, I think against the Packers he only passed the ball 9 times in the whole game. I watched every 49ers game that season because I had a good bit of money on them to win the superbowl from the start of the season and Jimmy had a lease on him the whole season by kyle.

I feel it's a case of far away fields are greener when it come to a qb like jimmy. He really is not that good and if the 49ers got a replacement for him yes they might find a trade partner for him but it would be a day 3 pick but most likely he would he released. Also I don't think the Pats would take him back because of his injury history, Bill B gave him a chance when brady was suspended and jimmy let them down by getting injured after 2 games.

He passed the ball 9 times because they were able to run up the score by handing it off for almost 300 yards.  Anyone would do the same unless the coach just wanted to pass for the sake of passing. Plus it protects the QB - a major injury-prone one at that - in that handing it off stops him from getting him sacked.

No doubt he's injury prone in a way that'd make Pennington look downright durable. 

But the idea that right now, based on what's been shown on the field, when healthy, Darnold is a better QB? Anyone's free to believe it, but that's a crossed-fingers belief not a shown belief. The two of them have the same problem: their downfield vision is atrocious no matter who's running patterns. They just don't see open receivers, and changing from subpar WRs to a bigger name one isn't going to make him a better QB so much as it'll hide shortcomings better. 

If we do keep Darnold it's my desire that he turns into what we all hoped he'd be when he was drafted #3 overall. No one has it out for him. All the snark/comments are because he's been a major letdown - particularly considering the hype - and the whole point of him was that he wasn't supposed to be a multi-year project.

Expectations were that Allen was a project; Lamar Jackson was a project; Darnold was the "it" prospect. So far, after 3 years, you can add an "s-h" in front of that. 

• Sympathy 1