What school makes QBs?

The success rate has always been so spread out and random that I don’t think any one school has ever held a leading % over the rest.

Sometimes they come from Eastern Illinois (Romo), Texas Tech(Pat Mahomes) or Purdue (Brees), sometimes they come from more national recognized teams like Clemson (Watson) or Stanford (Luck) but one conference they never come from seems to be the SEC...which makes me feel less & less confident in the “he didn’t face top CFB competition” line.

who did Justin Herbert see at Oregon? Kyler & Baker at OU played in a conference where defense is imaginary.

most important thing to understand is QB’s wind up successful in the NFL for much more than who they played in their collegian careers. It’s simply about what they’re strengths & weaknesses are as a passer and how the next situation can propel their strengths or make them extremely familiar with their weaknesses.

• Upvote 1

The school really doesn't matter.  Some systems may prepare the quarterback better for the pros, but with more NFL teams running spread option and college systems, I'm not sure if even that maters.  

It's all about how quickly that player processes information and acts on it.

He has to be able to bring the classroom to the field on top of having the God given arm talent to make the things he processes actually work.

Intelligence alone isn't what makes great processors either.  It definitely helps with the pre-snap reads and setting up protections, but with the way defenses disguise their coverages, this must be done after the snap in under three seconds.  

This is why there are so many busts.  The league drafts the physical specimens that do well on the white board, but no one really knows what he will do once the bullets start flying and he must go to second and third reads while avoiding 300 lb monsters. 

Imo, I think the ability to read a defense post snap is 60% of make a good quarterback.  Accuracy adds another 20% making that quarterback an All-Pro, then adding elite arm strength or athletic "X factor" scrambling turns that ALL-Pro into an All-Timer.  

• Upvote 4

it's hard to say if any particular school produces the best qb's.  back in the 70's oklahoma couldn't produce any nfl qbs because they were running a wishbone attack that relied on backs like greg pruitt and billy sims.  the qb's were good runners too.  fast forward to present and we see bradford, mayfield and murray.  notre dame seemed to always put out good qb's starting with guys like montana or hanratty or theisman and even rick mirer.  they haven't done so well of late.  the bottom line it's all about the program in place when the qb gets there.  the programs that run the nfl style offenses will produce nfl ready qb's.  and the nfl adapts to the product coming from the colleges.  it wasn't so long ago that the nfl was run oriented.

2 hours ago, adb280z said:

Mahomes and ?

I guarantee there were guys here who said Mahomes wouldn't be good because Texas Tech QBs all suck in the NFL.

Was joking. 

The answer right now is Oklahoma. Their last two QBs went first overall and Rattler is going to be a first round pick in 2022. Clemson is a very close 2nd and Alabama #3. 

7 hours ago, adb280z said:

I often see comments that QBs from USC, Ohio St stink in the pros so I've been wondering what schools are known to produce NFL QBs.

Has any school produced multiple quality NFL QBs other than maybe Oklahoma?

BYU. Marc Wilson, McMahon, Young, hell even Detmar wasn't horrible. 

A late 1st/early 2nd for Sam and the latest from the Mormon QB factory is my vote

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

As far as getting QBs drafted I think you have to go with USC, although they were almost all bad to mediocre once in the NFL

Darnold, Kessler, Barkley, Sanchez, Leinert, Palmer, R. Johnson, The legend Todd Marinovich, Peete.

Quantity, limited quality

On 3/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, GreekJet said:

Was joking. 

The answer right now is Oklahoma. Their last two QBs went first overall and Rattler is going to be a first round pick in 2022. Clemson is a very close 2nd and Alabama #3. 

I can’t wait for the Rattler evals, if you think Wilson is built like a 15 year old kid, wait till you see what Rattler looks like in shorts and tees.  

16 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I can’t wait for the Rattler evals, if you think Wilson is built like a 15 year old kid, wait till you see what Rattler looks like in shorts and tees.  

Regardless he’s going to go high. Lincoln Riley also signed the nations #1 QB recruit in the 2021 class to replace him in 2022. Right now if you are a top QB recruit with NFL aspirations you go to Oklahoma, Clemson, Alabama, or Ohio State. Those four programs have really separated themselves. 

On 3/7/2021 at 9:25 PM, GreekJet said:

Was joking. 

And Sam Bradford too...3 QB's from Oklahoma went #1 overall in the last 10 years...that's wild.  Go back to the 90's and add Troy Aikman to the list of #1 overall picks.  4 #1 overall picks....pretty sure Oklahoma is the only school that can say that?

Landry Jones is still in the league, no?  And Jalen Hurts.  Currently, 3 starters in the league.

The validity in those statements is that it is harder to judge kids playing in certain systems.  That is why everybody used to avoid these air raid kids.  All the numbers on earth didn't make Graham Harrell an NFL starter.  That probably pushed Mahomes down.  The Chiefs trading Smith probably pushed Mayfield up.  Historic is just bullsh*t, but there is some relevance to scheme and superior talent inflating/deflating prospects.

There is so much more than stats, than physical ability.  How do these kids respond under adversity?  Can they make throws when their guy is covered?  Are they just riding superior talent?  If a team can take away their favorite thing, can do they win another way?  Are they smart enough to handle different systems and concepts?  Interviews and board work that we don't see (hopefully) make up a huge part of this process.  I'm not talking about that idiot Gruden's y-2-banana sh*t with Hackenberg either.