Chris Godwin got tagged by the Bucs. Shaq Barrett time?

So tricky. Barrett is built like a 3-4 OLB and were in the market for 4-3 DEs. The 49er Edge starters were all over 265 last year and Barrett is a slim 250. All that being said, Barrett is really good and really consistent and would give the team a presence off the edge for their wide-9.

Tread carefully around Barrett, his wild swings in production and
age are warning signs:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/16967/shaquil-barrett

You don't want to pay 17-20 million for a guy who's going to get you
5-8 sacks and is nearing 30.  If you're going to pay big $$$ look at
younger players like Ngakoue, Hendrickson and Okwara

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 6
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, KRL said:

age are warning signs:

His pressure production is elite. He’s an every down player that’s excellent against the run and the pass. Ngakoue hasn’t been good in 2 years, Hendrickson is a 1 year wonder with injury history, Okwara is a 1 year wonder with limited athleticism. Try to give Barrett $17m and if that fails then move on to the lesser players.

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Oh you mean the Jets are not coming away with Godwin, Robinson, Barrett, Thuney and Schreff this off season?

But I was told.....

Yup.  This is why I never get too excited over FA lists in January and February.  On the other side of this, guys will be cut that we were not expecting to be available.  In a few days, we will know the pool of players we will be choosing from, along with 31 other teams.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m gonna throw this out there—

I think Tampa might trade Mike Evans. Draft day would be my guess but maybe before. 

With brady talking restructuring and the cap being rumored now to be way higher than anticipated, they may not have to. 

It really depends if the teams are successful at pushing the league year start back a little so that if these TV deals clear they will have way less issues signing their own FA's

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I’m gonna throw this out there—

I think Tampa might trade Mike Evans. Draft day would be my guess but maybe before. 

Wouldn't that be sweet for whoever is under center here?  But I don't think it's happening.  Maybe, but only if Brady doesn't want him, and that would be silly.  Whatever Tom Brady wants, he gets on that offense. Tagging Godwin says little about Evans.  If they are 2021 Covid-19 cap strapped, they can restructure that Evans deal to reduce this years 16 million cap hit and they could also bang out a real contract with Godwin with a much smaller 2021 cap hit.  Lots of things they can do to keep both.

But I'd be pretty damned happy to have him here.  Or Godwin.

2021 Contract details by year 28 $12,250,000 - $4,387,500 $16,637,500 $13,162,500 $12,250,000($67,258,000)  
2022 Contract details by year 29 $14,000,000 - $4,387,500 $18,387,500 $8,775,000 $14,000,000($81,258,000)  
2023 Contract details by year 30 $13,000,000 $1,500,000 $4,387,500 $18,887,500 $4,387,500 $14,500,000($95,758,000)  
2024 Free Agent Year 31 UFA  
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Why would they do that?

They don't have to per say, as @Chrebetfan80 pointed out, but team is youngish and godwin is the future. Evans is the role that Brady's arm cannot feature like he used to. He was lucky to come down with 70 for 1,006 for this year. Lots of 2-3 catch games for 30-40 yards. Let me put this way, Godwin + Brown + Perriman type player... i don't think the Bucs offense looks a lot different. RB is more important next year.

It's more about where do you want to spend the money and do you real NEED Evans when you can probably still get a 1st for him. 

'just speculating.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, KRL said:

age are warning signs:

Brady is going to restructure so they keep Barrett. Next man up.?