Do you really understand the Xs and Os of football?

Bronx

People considering football as a complex science make me laugh

I'd love to share some of the physics problems i deal with as special fx supervisor.

This game .. even in it's most complex form is not rocket science.

That being said ... I know only the basics of Gap responsibilities and very little football jargon.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

On 4/3/2021 at 1:04 PM, Bronx said:

I think that the average Joe, who has never played football, could be very confused with all the Xs and Os of football. I have to admit that when most analysts start talking about "Flutties" and such formations, is like French to me. Another topic would be understanding the multitasking responsibilities of each position. 

I found theae helpful links for Xs and Os and responsibilities per position. 

https://protips.dickssportinggoods.com/sports-and-activities/football/football-101-football-positions-and-their-roles

Since "defense" is "reactionary" for the most part, the best way to star learning is to read a bit about offensive nomenclature and play calling.   If you hear a play being called, it all sounds like nonsense, but if you break it all down, a lot starts to make more sense.  Offensive nomenclature is the best beginning spot for learning your X's and O's.  Different systems use different types of "coding", numbers vs. names for example, but they do the same thing.  The set, alignment, protection, assignment and so on... 

This bit below is a good read to start with.

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-orleans-saints/post/_/id/30235/class-in-session-sean-payton-drew-brees-teach-nfl-lingo-101

People considering football as a complex science make me laugh

I'd love to share some of the physics problems i deal with as special fx supervisor.

This game .. even in it's most complex form is not rocket science.

That being said ... I know only the basics of Gap responsibilities and very little football jargon.

The thing is, in today's NFL the same play call can be executed differently depending on the pre-snap defensive formation and even the in-play reaction of the D. So the QB really does have to know every players role, and most will have 2-3 roles depending, and other skill players may have to know what everyone else around them is doing.

Not saying its rocket science, but it is complex, and much more complex than it was 25 years ago.
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I know two things in my 45 years of life i do not know the X's & O's of Football and why the Fu** should i bother the Jets have been dogsh*t for my whole life except 98-99 & 2009-2010 respectively. I do know when a Football team is bad though and all the Analytics and extra fluff is not warranted. My first game was Jets Colts at Giants Stadium and Eric Dickerson shredded the Jets!. It was then and there i knew this sh*tshow of a team had my heart.   

• Sympathy 1

I know two things in my 45 years of life i do not know the X's & O's of Football and why the Fu** should i bother the Jets have been dogsh*t for my whole life except 98-99 & 2009-2010 respectively. I do know when a Football team is bad though and all the Analytics and extra fluff is not warranted. My first game was Jets Colts at Giants Stadium and Eric Dickerson shredded the Jets!. It was then and there i knew this sh*tshow of a team had my heart.   

I dont know how Dickerson get forgotten when talking about football greats.

Guy was a beast.

Alright, I wanted to go in-depth and explain each and every one of these, but I'm lazy, so I'm just going to list the books I'd recommend for someone wanting to understanding football better. Perhaps at a later time, I'll go into more detail. These are all high-yield, no-fluff books. Nothing about leadership, or building a team, none of it. Just pure X's and O's. This is all off the top of my head. There are many more that I can also list, if you guys would like.

From Headset to Helmet, C4, Adapt or Die, and What Is Open?, all by Dub Maddox

The Bunch Attack by Andrew Coverdale

Concept Passing, and Recoded and Reloaded, both by Dan Gonzalez

Complete Linebacking by Lou Tepper

Complete Offensive Line by Rick Trickett 

Building the Block by Le'Charles Bentley

Coaching Defensive Football by Bill Arnsparger

Match Quarters, and pretty much anything else, by Cody Alexander

Coaching the Defensive Line by Fritz Schurmur

The 46 Defense by Rex Ryan

Coaching the Defensive Backfield by Greg McMackin

The 4-2-5 Defense Study by Mike Kuchar