CB Market

Is anyone else surprised by the pace(or lack thereof) the CB Market?  Not just the Jets, but also in general.  There are several "solid" starting outside CBs left out there in Sherman, Nelson and Breeland, as well as a few solid slot CBs.  

I think most of these guys could be had for a 1 year deal, which is a market I figured would be attractive to JD.

To me it makes more sense to add before the draft than after, but it appears that's what Douglas and others may be doing.

These are the sort of guys that find spots after the draft plays out ... the teams will have them on the phone within hours of the draft wrapping up, they may already have something agreed in principle with the agents in the event they don't pick up a draft pick at the position.

The lack of action in the CB market probably points to a pretty deep
draft class.  So the free agents still out there aren't going to get
big offers.  Early in free agency I didn't think we would be interested
in Richard Sherman but now with OTAs coming up I could see Saleh wanting
him so he can be an "extension of the coaching staff"

The more i think of it, other than QB, the second glaring hole that's missing in the premium positions is #1CB. Hall might be that guy, Bless...who knows, but one this is for sure, there's no guy on this roster that's slated as our #1 as of yet. There's no free agent out there either.

I wouldn't be surprised if JD uses his #23 pick for a CB

The answers are Kelvin Joseph, Jaycee Horn, Patrick Surtain II, Asante Samuel Jr, Caleb Farley, Aaron Robinson, Elijah Molden, Greg Newsome, Ifeatu Melinfonwu, Eric Stokes, Tyson Campbell, Paulson Adebo. Basically all are gonna be drafted in the first 2 rounds and teams are probably waiting to see which one they’re gonna have a chance to get before signing a vet.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Here's the list of CB's that were drafted in SF while Saleh was DC.

Akhiello Witherspoon (3rd round by SF IN 2017)

DJ Reed (5th rd by SF 2018)

Tim Harris (6th rd 2020)

Saleh thinks he can coach up the CB's enough that you don't need to utilize significant draft picks to make it work. This scheme protects the CB's more than what we're used to from Jets CB's.

I think they will sign a veteran after the draft and I wouldn't be surprised if they don't draft a CB within the first 4 rounds this year. Based on his history,  DE or LB could be higher picks but in SF it was primarily WR's or offensive lineman in the 1st 3 rounds.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

The lack of action in the CB market probably points to a pretty deep
draft class.  

Just one source and everyone has their rankings but CBS puts it around 9 prospects worthy of Day 1 or 2 picks (first 3 Rounds).  But then a whole bunch in that Round 4 area.  I think that's where the Jets could start targeting a guy.... Pick 107 or 146, although those are also the areas I could see the Jets trying to find a TE or OLB.

685159650_ScreenShot2021-04-14at11_57_40AM.thumb.png.5285a57721e7ea6ab3aca25b28e99ed6.png

3 hours ago, ganggreen305 said:

I would love to sign a few vets to cheap 1 year deals, and still draft a few.  We need several CBs, but rather some with experience for 1 year.

How many CBs to you plan to carry on the roster? Bless, Hall, Hardee, Guidry, Lamar Jackson. Lets say those are our current CBs. So we sign several more and draft several more? What is that, 11 CB? Once the Jets draft ONE promising rookie and sign ONE decent vet they should be ok. Its not going to be the strongest position going forward, but they should be fine. The rest of the players will be training camp and PS fodder. 

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Is anyone else surprised by the pace(or lack thereof) the CB Market?  Not just the Jets, but also in general.  There are several "solid" starting outside CBs left out there in Sherman, Nelson and Breeland, as well as a few solid slot CBs.  

I think most of these guys could be had for a 1 year deal, which is a market I figured would be attractive to JD.

To me it makes more sense to add before the draft than after, but it appears that's what Douglas and others may be doing.

im convinced thats the pick at 23

Just now, kevinc855 said:

im convinced thats the pick at 23

Consider this. In 2020 the 49ers, with their starting CB's being 32 year old Richard Sherman and 29 yr old Jason Verrett (DNP in 2019) drafted a DT at #14 while having Dee Ford, Nick Bosa and  Arik Armstead already on that line instead of a CB. 4 CB's went in the 1ST round AFTER their pick. They didn't even address CB till round 6.

CB will not be picked early, its a waste with how Saleh uses CB's. Schemes dictate the value of positions which also goes into how a team drafts or signs FA. CB is low on the list for the Jets in my opinion.

So many opinions on #23. Most have to be wrong.

My hope is that JD doesn’t have a position plan. He should have a group of players who he expects will be available at 23. BPA.

And, dare I say it, he could even trade down. 

• Upvote 1

Well this goes 100% against what GMs have been saying for years and years.

That being that you sign vet FAs so you do not have gaping hole in the roster and thus feel pressured into drafting a position group.

In theory you do not want to be sitting at pick 23 and thinking, 'oh we better draft a Cb because we are so thin there.'

I guess we can assume this is a deep CB group this year (which I thunk it is.)

38 minutes ago, KRL said:

Its also interesting to remember that one of the best cover 3 CB's, Richard Sherman was drafted in the fifth round

That's a very valid point.  1st round CBs are usually 1st round CBs because of their efficiency in Man coverage.  Not to say they couldn't/can't be effective in zone heavy schemes, but it doesn't anyways translate.  Even if it does translate, does it make sense to take them in tbe 1st round?  I think you could argue it doesn't.