Top remaining free-agent QB's in 2021

Who will be our backup QB if not Mike White or James Morgan. 

Top remaining free-agent quarterbacks in 2021
  • Nick Mullens, San Francisco 49ers.
  • Brian Hoyer, New England Patriots.
  • Robert Griffin III, Baltimore Ravens.
  • Blaine Gabbert, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
  • Matt Barkley, Buffalo Bills.

We spent a 4th on James Morgan and didnt let him dress for a game. I'd hope he's the backup. What's  the point of drafting a backup that high if he can't play 2 of the 4 years on his cheap rookie deal? We saving him for year 3? 

I thought he should have played last year. We going to ruin our SB chances taking a look?

I wanted a mentor type like Smith, do any of these guys fit the bill? I haven't really followed their careers that close 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, SayNoToDMC said:

We spent a 4th on James Morgan and didnt let him dress for a game. I'd hope he's the backup. What's  the point of drafting a backup that high if he can't play 2 of the 4 years on his cheap rookie deal? We saving him for year 3? 

I thought he should have played last year. We going to ruin our SB chances taking a look?

I wanted a mentor type like Smith, do any of these guys fit the bill? I haven't really followed their careers that close 

Here's a stat about our 2020 4th round picks including Morgan....

Chris Hogan, who only played in 5 games for the Jets last year, played more snaps than Morgan, Perine and Cam Clark combined.

How on earth do you develop rookies if they never see the field be it due to injuries, coaches decisions, or them simply not being worthy of seeing the field yet?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Chris Hogan, who only played in 5 games for the Jets last year, played more snaps than Morgan, Perine and Cam Clark combined.

How on earth do you develop rookies if they never see the field be it due to injuries, coaches decisions, or them simply not being worthy of seeing the field yet?

Cant blame JD for what Adam Gase did or didn't do. 

I agree last season was a wash the moment we were eliminated from playoff contention James Morgan and Mike White should have been auditioning at QB. 

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

You'd have to ask the (ex) coach that one.

21 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Cant blame JD for what Adam Gase did or didn't do. 

I agree last season was a wash the moment we were eliminated from playoff contention James Morgan and Mike White should have been auditioning at QB. 

I didn't mention JD.  In fact, I even said "coaches decisions" but it's somewhat amazing how many people jump to defend JD or say don't blame him when he wasn't even brought up.

imo the big question about morgan is why did douglas draft him.  he used a 4th round pick and, while not that high, could've been used on a different player.  i also think the pick was pretty high for a back up.  did douglas see something that made him think morgan could supplant darnold?  maybe.  there are lots of late rounders that do better than first rounder.  look at guys like fitzy or minshew.  we'll see. hopefully morgan will be able to find a contributing spot on the team.

12 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I didn't mention JD.  In fact, I even said "coaches decisions" but it's somewhat amazing how many people jump to defend JD or say don't blame him when he wasn't even brought up.

Im the last guy to defend JD or anyone part of this organization that is part of failure here. 

The jury is still out on him as far as what type of GM he will be and how successful this team will be. 

There is no excuses in football. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, peebag said:

Didn't Mullins blow out his knee last year?

12684.jpg

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports 49ers QB Nick Mullens (elbow) did not require Tommy John UCL replacement surgery. 

Mullens went under the knife in late December. Per Garafolo, the damage was "not as extensive as initially feared." He will apparently be 100 percent healthy for training camp. Going on 26, Mullens will be a restricted free agent this spring. The parlor game of "is Nick Mullens better than Jimmy Garoppolo?" has largely been answered as "no," but Mullens is a decent backup. Emphasis on decent. The 49ers could decide to remake their entire quarterback room this year. 

Jan 26, 2021, 3:53 PM ET

49ers will not tender restricted free agent QB Nick Mullens.

Mullens will be a true free agent now, but NBC Sports' Matt Maiocco believes "the door is open for the 49ers to re-sign him later in the offseason." The backup quarterback is currently rehabbing his throwing-arm elbow. Initial reports suggest Mullens will be cleared by training camp, however. Teams will likely wait until Mullens is closer to 100-percent health before signing him on as a backup.

RELATED: 
Mar 15, 2021, 11:26 AM ET

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Captain Morgan should be better than this motley crew!

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I'd like to see the Jets trade a late round pick for Gardner Minshew on draft weekend

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

We spent a 4th on James Morgan and didnt let him dress for a game.  

Spent a 2nd on hackenberg who still may be the greatest NFL QB of all time because we never saw him take a single snap in the regular season. 

This is the Jets. Your logic has NO POWER here. 

18 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Well if JD drafted rookies actually worth playing — note that Becton and Mims had zero trouble playing snaps when healthy

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

JD is developing him so he can trade him and get a third round pick. 

Maybe Douglas is waiting post-draft for someone to be set free or just really believes in Morgan as a backup.   If we bring in Hoyer and Morgan totally outplays him in camp... kind of solves the problem itself.  I literally don't know whether to think about Morgan.  Because Gase said he was "far away" from contributing.  And Gase is a total idiot.

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Well we're talking about JDs decision for backup QB and you brought Hogan into it

No one is defending JD, just stating the obvious.  Start with COVID creating a need for 4 QBs on our roster 

• Upvote 1