Pro execs, scouts, coaches break down the QB class

Jetsbb

10 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

"My man is not a big guy, now," a college scouting director said. "He's got thin shoulders, he's got a thin waist. You get you a couple Tremaine Edmunds and (Dont'a) Hightowers in your s---, and you ain't lasting long." 

And this is why we need to go OL.  Twice by the end of day 2.  Need to build a line for this guy, then let 'er rip.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Zach Wilson's may be the best I've ever seen," said one general manager who attended. "And his arm is ridiculous."

8 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Joe Douglas?

Or John Lynch making sure Justin Fields gets to #3 :)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Its nice to hear, but who are these anonymous front office people that have time during draft season to talk to some dipsh*t reporter and do him a favor? If its not misdirection I'd want that guy fired. You get paid all year to really focus on one weekend and its about to happen.

11 hours ago, Lith said:

And this is why we need to go OL.  Twice by the end of day 2.  Need to build a line for this guy, then let 'er rip.

Would love that. How great would it be if they drafted a starting OG and a starting RT and Cam Clark somehow comes to life and wins the other guard spot.

Long shot but it is nice to dream.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jetsbb said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2021-nfl-draft-pro-execs-scouts-coaches-break-down-the-qb-class

BYU · Round 1

If there were any doubt about Wilson's status as the consensus No. 2 QB in this class, he erased it with an epic pro day throwing session March 26 that showcased all the flash in his game. "Zach Wilson's may be the best I've ever seen," said one general manager who attended. "And his arm is ridiculous." With latitude from BYU's coaches and extensive work with his private QB coach, John Beck, Wilson has evolved his mechanics to the point he can flick the ball across his body with ease like a shortstop turning a double play. And after dealing with injuries his first two seasons on campus, Wilson came back healthy in 2020, won a training camp battle for the job and had a monster season: 73.5 percent passing for 3,692 yards with 33 touchdown passes and just three interceptions, plus 10 rushing TDs as the Cougars went 11-1, albeit against inferior competition. 

"You watch him flutter some balls around with the bum shoulder and then the broken thumb at the end of (2019), you're not that impressed. Then you watch him this year and he's just f---ing ripping it everywhere," said an NFC scout who studied Wilson extensively. "The kid's smart as s---. He's gonna work. He's gonna compete. He's really talented. It's just a matter of how long that story can play out and not rub some people the wrong way, being a true dude and a leader and that presence." Those have been the two main questions throughout the pre-draft process: There's durability, given Wilson's relatively slight frame (6-2 1/8, 214) and injury history, including a torn labrum in his right (throwing) shoulder suffered in high school that required surgery after his freshman season at BYU in 2018, a torn labrum in his left shoulder and a fractured right thumb that required surgery and sidelined him for over a month during the 2019 season. "My man is not a big guy, now," a college scouting director said. "He's got thin shoulders, he's got a thin waist. You get you a couple Tremaine Edmunds and (Dont'a) Hightowers in your s---, and you ain't lasting long." 

And then there's Wilson's ability to connect with NFL teammates, who surely can get on board with their new QB's edge, boy-band looks and swagger, as long as Wilson's dealing and they're winning games. One executive described it last month as "a little bit of Baker Mayfield syndrome, where you like (the edge) to a point. It's just whether or not you can control it and toe the line." Others compare Zach Wilson to Russell Wilson, a seven-time Pro Bowl pick and Super Bowl champion whose relationship with the Seahawks has become strained after nearly a decade in Seattle, with his personal brand growing beyond football. There's no spotlight like New York, where the Jets own the No. 2 overall pick. If Zach Wilson stays healthy, he has the talent to be a superstar. "If I was picking No. 1 -- hoo, man, it'd be hard for me not to take him over Trevor," an AFC quarterbacks coach said. "He's got real playmaking ability. He's shorter (than Lawrence) -- I get it. But he's got ball all about him. He makes plays -- unique plays."

I've heard it - I've seen his throws - I've heard more - I've seen more throws! OK the guy is our pick! He's a bit risky but he could and probably should be a really good QB. Its a good post but I can't take anymore. I want to see him doing it in a Jet uniform in September - throwing darts for 300 plus yards and multiple TD's then I will truly believe it! No more talk lets see the walk!