FA Targets Post Draft

Plenty of solid options out there regarding Free Agency. With a few signs, could really improve some holes. We still have $29M in cap space [prior to signing draft picks], and could create another $5M by releasing LG Alex Lewis [likely after drafting AVT and signing OG Dan Feeney from Chargers]. Grabbing Nelson, Ingram, Turner, and Westbrook would immediately make our pass rush a strength, and our corner depth pretty strong with great competition, and if Westbrook can return to full health give us one of the deeper WR groups we have had in years. 

Players to Sign:

1. CB Steven Nelson [3 Year Deal] - only 28 years old, should make priority to sign, was a cap casualty for the Steelers, but a top 15 CB in the league and would immediately become our best corner. 

2. EDGE Melvin Ingram [2 Year Deal] - another older guy at 32, but still can get after the QB and would add to a nice rotation of pass rushers for Saleh. 

3. OL Trai Turner [1 Year Deal] - another younger FA at 28 years old, can play center or guard, provides depth, replace Alex Lewis at a cheaper cost. 

4. WR Dede Westbrook [1 Year Deal] - a young promising player at 27, coming off a major leg injury in early 2020, should be able to get him relatively cheap given health uncertainty. 

5. QB Nick Mullens [1 Year Deal] - knows the system comes from San Fran, should be cheap, potentially add another vet if available but provides some depth. 

Projected Depth Chart: 

QB - Zack Wilson, Mullens, Morgan

RB - Coleman, Carter, Johnson, Adams

WR1 - Corey Davis, Keenen Cole, Josh Doctson 

WR 2 - Denzel Mimms, Dede Westbrook, Vincent Smith 

WR 3 / Slot - Crowder, Moore, Berrios 

TE - Herndon, Griffen, Kroft

LT - Becton, Edoga 

LG - AVT, Turner

C - McGovern, Feeney

RG - Van Roten, Clark

RT - Fant, Edoga 

DE - Carl Lawson, Kyle Phillips

DT - Sheldon Rankins, Fatukaski, Marshall

DT - Quinnen Williams, Franklin-Myers, Sheppard

DE - Melvin Ingram, Curry, Huff

OLB - Cashman, Jermien Sherwood

MLB - Mosley 

OLB - Jarrad Davis, Hamsah Nasirildeen

CB 1 - Steven Nelson, Bless Austin, Jason Pinnock 

CB 2 - Bryce Hall, Justin Hardee, Corey Ballentin

CB 3 / Nickle - Michael Carter, Brandon Echols

SS - Lamarcus Joyner, Ashtyn Davis

FS - Marcus Maye, Hampton 

1 hour ago, mattyb143224 said:

Plenty of solid options out there regarding Free Agency. With a few signs, could really improve some holes. We still have $29M in cap space [prior to signing draft picks], and could create another $5M by releasing LG Alex Lewis [likely after drafting AVT and signing OG Dan Feeney from Chargers]. Grabbing Nelson, Ingram, Turner, and Westbrook would immediately make our pass rush a strength, and our corner depth pretty strong with great competition, and if Westbrook can return to full health give us one of the deeper WR groups we have had in years. 

Players to Sign:

1. CB Steven Nelson [3 Year Deal] - only 28 years old, should make priority to sign, was a cap casualty for the Steelers, but a top 15 CB in the league and would immediately become our best corner. 

2. EDGE Melvin Ingram [2 Year Deal] - another older guy at 32, but still can get after the QB and would add to a nice rotation of pass rushers for Saleh. 

3. OL Trai Turner [1 Year Deal] - another younger FA at 28 years old, can play center or guard, provides depth, replace Alex Lewis at a cheaper cost. 

4. WR Dede Westbrook [1 Year Deal] - a young promising player at 27, coming off a major leg injury in early 2020, should be able to get him relatively cheap given health uncertainty. 

5. QB Nick Mullens [1 Year Deal] - knows the system comes from San Fran, should be cheap, potentially add another vet if available but provides some depth. 

Projected Depth Chart: 

LT - Becton, Edoga 

LG - AVT, Turner

C - McGovern, Feeney

RG - Van Roten, Clark

RT - Fant, Edoga 

MLB - Mosley 

Players missing: Perine, Yeboah, Zuniga, Westco (FB)

Players who should be missing: Doctson.

• Upvote 4

On 5/4/2021 at 2:39 PM, pdxgreen said:

Still going to take a year or so to build up that OL depth.  Yuck.

Which is why it’s rather perplexing HD didn’t draft a few more OL over the last 2 drafts. Especially, this past one where OL was deep.

18 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Probably Richard Sherman who I never wanted. We drafted like 15 DBs on the last day and a lot of them big with long arms. See what he can teach them for a year, he's annoying but not stupid

Pass. He’s annoyingly stupid.  He’s so full of himself he’d probably spray paint any Revis picture at Florham Park. 

• Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

Probably Richard Sherman who I never wanted. We drafted like 15 DBs on the last day and a lot of them big with long arms. See what he can teach them for a year, he's annoying but not stupid

unfortunately i think some of those guys project as more of a S/LB...i think we are going to be thin at CB to say the least.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

Steve Nelson is a FA???? I mean, what's the hold up there? Seems a huge a hole that can be filled with a great young player.

None of these Vets are signing anytime soon. They’ll want to get closer towards the beginning of camp if not on that exact day.

On 5/4/2021 at 1:20 PM, mattyb143224 said:

Players to Sign:

Projected Depth Chart: 

LT - Becton, Edoga 

LG - AVT, Turner

C - McGovern, Feeney

RG - Van Roten, Clark

RT - Fant, Edoga 

MLB - Mosley 

There is no way they are keeping 9 wrs.  6 or 7 at the most.  

Also missing a full back, which is a necessity in this offense.  I think they are more likely to keep 5 te/fb than 7 wrs.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Pass. He’s annoyingly stupid.  He’s so full of himself he’s probably spray paint any Revis picture at Florham Park. 

How exactly is Sherman stupid? Because he talks trash?

He actually comes across as pretty intelligent, especially when it comes to football. Most importantly - he can play. 

• Upvote 3

Unless people have not been paying attention, JD is very serious about his mantra to build through the draft. I do not expect him to make any more significant moves in free agency unless it is to sign a younger #1CB or upgrade at RG or RT, where he has no high end veteran or young, developing talent (unless Cam Clark surprises us). 

Everywhere else on the field, the Jets have young players to develop. Players the team feels are athletic and talented. You can not replace these players before you've even seen what they can do.

My only exception for signing an older player is Sherman, and that is only because he can help the D learn the new D scheme, and he lives the Saleh mantra of all gas, no brakes.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Which is why it’s rather perplexing HD didn’t draft a few more OL over the last 2 drafts. Especially, this past one where OL was deep.

It could be a trend with JD to address LOS in the earlier parts of the draft.  Next year he has two picks each in rounds 1-2.  IMO he'll pick another starting OL there.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Unless people have not been paying attention, JD is very serious about his mantra to build through the draft. I do not expect him to make any more significant moves in free agency unless it is to sign a younger #1CB or upgrade at RG or RT, where he has no high end veteran or young, developing talent (unless Cam Clark surprises us). 

Everywhere else on the field, the Jets have young players to develop. Players the team feels are athletic and talented. You can not replace these players before you've even seen what they can do.

My only exception for signing an older player is Sherman, and that is only because he can help the D learn the new D scheme, and he lives the Saleh mantra of all gas, no brakes.

This. I do not see us really diving into FA again. I think they roll with what we have until TC, If I were a Mac pick I would be very uncomfortable now. Saleh seems super high on Michael Carter II and some of the other back end picks so I don't see us doing much at corner, and we are not doing more at edge though people here will rail about it incessantly.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

It could be a trend with JD to address LOS in the earlier parts of the draft.  Next year he has two picks each in rounds 1-2.  IMO he'll pick another starting OL there.

Seems to. High quality as opposed to 2nd tier.  I could live with that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

How exactly is Sherman stupid? Because he talks trash?

He actually comes across as pretty intelligent, especially when it comes to football. Most importantly - he can play. 

He’s done. And he’s got a big mouth. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

18 hours ago, kdels62 said:

I’d love it if Douglas tries for Steven Nelson and Charles Leno to either play RG or take Fant’s place at RT.

I think we're going to continue you to see talented players come available and JD really has to give these some thought.  Nelson is 27.  The Dolphins just cut Bobby McCain, he's 28.  I dont think signing these guys hurts from a youth infusion perspective.  Now I cant speak to how they fit the scheme but on paper, they're massive upgrades that could tremendously help this D.   Nelson and McCain would arguably be 2 of the best players we've had in the secondary in a long long time.

• Upvote 1

I'm sorry, how many Corners, Running backs and Receivers are you carrying into the final 53?? 

They're not gonna cut Perine for Adams. 

I am however on board with the Mullens signing. I have been from the start. 

It seems like a weird in-between approach of going with lots of young talent in starting roles while cutting or PSing lots of young  talent to sign FA vets that are still available after the draft for one reason or another. 

Before the draft I was convinced the Jets would sign a vet CB- then they draft TWO along with two LB/S hybrids. So now I'm not so sure. I doubt the jets carry 8 CBs into the season. So who gets cut or put on PS? I mean, even from your list of 8 you already have the Jets moving on from Guidry and Jackson, two promising young CBs who are most likely going to excel in Salehs new system. 

Same thing with the WRs. Maybe if the Jets cut Crowder to clear cap space I could see them adding a cheaper vet WR. But carrying 9 WRs into the season aint happening. Lets say they just go Davis, Mims, Cole, Westbrook, Moore, Crowder. That seems like a nice group. But then you cut both of the Smiths, Berrios, Doctson, and put Scott Montgomery and Cager on PS? Seems unlikely. So again, only if Crowder is released, I could see a cheaper FA coming in. 

A few random observations:

-I Think Clark will compete for the LG spot and has a legit shot to win it. JD drafted one O-lineman and it seemed like he got one specifically for the left side as a starter. This tells me he has confidence in the guy he drafted last year to take over that position.

-Perine will be the guy. In as much as any other guy in a RB by committee system. But he will get a good amount of snaps. I honestly think Coleman is the guy that the Jets are rolling the dice on and he could very well get cut of he doesn't show out in camp. Perine, Carter and Johnson is a solid trio. If Coleman can bump Johnson, so be it. 

-The Jets will play a lot of safety heavy formations. This tells me they won't be adding a vet CB to this group. I think Echols will end up on PS and Lamar Jackson will take his spot as the 6th and final CB along with Hall, Bless, Hardee, Pinnock and Carter. A really young group. But again, the weight of the defensive responsibility will be on the LBs and Safeties in this scheme. 

-Don't sleep on John Franklin-Myers. I see him winning that strong side DE starting spot. I can see him being really successful in that role being stout against the run and getting at the QB while all the attention is devoted to blocking Q, Rankins and Lawson. 

-Cashman and Sherwood should be a really interesting battle. Injuries aside, these are pretty different LBs. I would not be surprised if Sherwood is simply a better, more unique fit for what Saleh is trying to do and he wins the starting spot with Cashman having to prove himself on specials or as a backup ILB. 

On 5/6/2021 at 6:29 AM, Maynard13 said:

Pass. He’s annoyingly stupid.  He’s so full of himself he’d probably spray paint any Revis picture at Florham Park. 

On 5/6/2021 at 10:03 AM, Maynard13 said:

Seems to. High quality as opposed to 2nd tier.  I could live with that.

Pipe down snowflake.  You're only going to Stanford with a plane ticket.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pipe down snowflake.  You're only going to Stanford with a plane ticket.  

College education is over rated. Look at you ? But I see why you are enamored with him. You both have a big mouth. If he’s signed you’re at the top of the list for President of the Richard Sherman Fan Club. Congrats on your claim to fame.

1 hour ago, Maynard13 said:

College education is over rated. Look at you ? But I see why you are enamored with him. You both have a big mouth. If he’s signed you’re at the top of the list for President of the Richard Sherman Fan Club. Congrats on your claim to fame.

Oh wow you sure showed me snowflake!  Sherman is totes dumb.  Education is totes overrated.  Book reading/learning is dumb.  Totes!!

You’re not overly sensitive to a mild clap back whatsoever!  You’re fun what else you got??  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh wow you sure showed me snowflake!  Sherman is totes dumb.  Education is totes overrated.  Book reading/learning is dumb.  Totes!!

You’re not overly sensitive to a mild clap back whatsoever!  You’re fun what else you got??  

Having a bad hair day I see.