Zach Ertz Discussion

maybe ertz still has a lot of game left but remember when the jets brought in some vets to put them over the top in 1999.  they brought in eric green who also had a couple of pro-bowl appearances and he did nothing.  not that the players are the same but it's just another example of bringing in a vet especially one coming off an injury.

Ertz only makes sense on a “1-yr prove you’re not damaged goods” deal.

Herndon, last I read, isn’t playing with the first-team. Maybe that’ll change, but don’t over-estimate the guy. Same people who were done with Sam after year 1 will give guys like Herndon 4 years to “get it”. It’s just bias towards having them prove us right or wrong.

15 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Usually players don’t look awful for 2 & 1/2 years and then magically look good one day next September.

You're right. The circumstances here with Gase were pretty awful though. The TE position was an after thought in the Gase offense. It will be more prominently used in this system and I think Herndon has an opportunity to break out and become the player we thought he could his rookie year this season.

20 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You're right. The circumstances here with Gase were pretty awful though. The TE position was an after thought in the Gase offense. It will be more prominently used in this system and I think Herndon has an opportunity to break out and become the player we thought he could his rookie year this season.

It’s now or never with Herndon. If he sh*ts the bed this summer you can bet your ass JD will sign Ertz on a 1yr prove it deal then pick a top line TE in next years draft.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Ertz only makes sense on a “1-yr prove you’re not damaged goods” deal.

Herndon, last I read, isn’t playing with the first-team. Maybe that’ll change, but don’t over-estimate the guy. Same people who were done with Sam after year 1 will give guys like Herndon 4 years to “get it”. It’s just bias towards having them prove us right or wrong.

I think it's because he's been nursing an injury but not sure.

I'm kind of optimistic he has a break out season.  I was watching some of those videos posted about LaFleur's scheme and the one thing that I stood out to me is that Kittle if often wide open in that offense.  He's a freak and make stupid plays Herndon will never dream of but he catches a ton of of misdirection throws backs, screens, outlets, etc. which makes me think Herndon might get a bunch of easy looks from Wilson.  Everyone remembers the egregious drops but he's a career 68% pass catcher, which led the team last year for pass catchers (no RB's).  

That said, I'm also a firm believer in the Adam Gase effect so I'm kind of biased. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I think it's because he's been nursing an injury but not sure.

I'm kind of optimistic he has a break out season.  I was watching some of those videos posted about LaFleur's scheme and the one thing that I stood out to me is that Kittle if often wide open in that offense.  He's a freak and make stupid plays Herndon will never dream of but he catches a ton of of misdirection throws backs, screens, outlets, etc. which makes me think Herndon might get a bunch of easy looks from Wilson.  Everyone remembers the egregious drops but he's a career 68% pass catcher, which led the team last year for pass catchers (no RB's).  

That said, I'm also a firm believer in the Adam Gase effect so I'm kind of biased. 

Same offense that produced Shannon Sharpe. Tony G loved it in ATL. The only reason nobody talks about how it manufactures TEs, is evade it manufactures RBs at an event greater rate.

• Upvote 1

On 6/17/2021 at 9:30 PM, joewilly12 said:

TE can be a QB's best friend in passing and running situations. 

If the opportunity comes to upgrade the position i hope JD does. 

Zach Wilson’s leading receiver frosh and sophomore years was his TE. That same TE tore his Achilles in camp going into Zach’s junior year so Zach was forced to spread it around more (with good result). Might have actually helped his development but I think it’s clear Zach likes to go to to TE.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Zach Wilson’s leading receiver frosh and sophomore years was his TE. That same TE tore his Achilles in camp going into Zach’s junior year so Zach was forced to spread it around more (with good result). Might have actually helped his development but I think it’s clear Zach likes to go to to TE.

Pretty clear that this type of offense uses TE, see kittle.  Also pretty clear that wesco will be utilized in the FB role as our version of Jus.  

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Kittle, he and Greg Olsen will be putting on "Tight End University" this week in Nashville and limiting participants to 50.  The news was that Tebow wasn't one of the 50 invited. 

“So, nothing against Tim Tebow, but I found it hard to invite — I wish nothing but the best for Tim Tebow, and I hope he has a fantastic season playing tight end — but it’s hard for me not to invite a backup tight end on, let’s say the New York Giants, as opposed to inviting a guy who just started playing the tight end position because we do have limited spots,” Kittle said on Barstool Sports

I wonder how many jets, if any were invited to this "intensive" in Nashville.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/1/2021 at 11:22 AM, Lith said:

Looks like Ertz may be heading to Buffalo -- according to Eagles radio guy. 

After watching video of one Zach Wilson practice, Buffalo goes into panic mode realizing Jets are a quality TE away from taking the division. Taking emergency steps to prevent that from happening!