Despite Plethora of Injuries, There is Some Good News for Jets Offensive Line

Fant-McGovern.jpg

As we discussed yesterday the Jets offensive line has been taking an absolute beating during training camp.  From injuries (Mekhi Becton, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Cam Clark, Conor McDermott, Jimmy Murray), ineffectiveness (Dan Feeney and Corey Levin) and a surprise retirement (Alex Lewis), the Jets have plenty to worry about in the very near future.  However, all is not lost, Jets fans.

Two holdovers from last year’s group were hoping to make strides in the team’s new offensive system in center Connor McGovern and right guard Greg Van Roten.  So far, the results have been encouraging.

Despite having one of his worst season’s as a pro in 2020, McGovern has looked more like the player the Jets coveted as a member of the Broncos than last year’s version.  On his right, there’s Van Roten who had Jets fans cringing over the course of his first month or so with the club.  Van Roten would turn things around and play much better as the season progressed in 2020.

Through two pre-season games, both players have looked impressive on film.  In glancing at each lineman’s overall grade provided by the folks over at pro football focus, it seems they agree.  Van Roten carries one of the team’s  highest grades at 76.2 while McGovern is sitting at 70.8.  This is very good news for the Jets.

While the short-term may look bleak, the long-term outlook for the group’s ceiling is very high.  If and when the Jets trot out  Becton, Vera-Tucker, McGovern, Van Roten and Morgan Moses or George Fant, it should lay a very good foundation for quarterback Zach Wilson and his running backs to work with.

The post Despite Plethora of Injuries, There is Some Good News for Jets Offensive Line appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Jetnationcom/~4/ALhBM8_iM58

Click here to read the full story...

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

From injuries (Mekhi Becton, Alijah Vera-Tucker, Cam Clark, Conor McDermott, Jimmy Murray), ineffectiveness (Dan Feeney and Corey Levin) and a surprise retirement (Alex Lewis), the Jets have plenty to worry about in the very near future.  However, all is not lost, Jets fans.

Two holdovers from last year’s group were hoping to make strides in the team’s new offensive system in center Connor McGovern and right guard Greg Van Roten.  So far, the results have been encouraging.

That's 6 injuries/retirements, and only 2 ineffectives.  IMHO it's actually a tribute to JD that we are still able to field a functional OL at all. Depth, depth. depth.     

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

They are putting up PFF scores in the 70’s against backups - Hmmm - not exactly a ringing endorsement but I guess it’s better than 50’s against backups so we got that going for us!

Vera Tucker wasn't in and he may be our best Olineman, so they should do fine against starters in the regular season. That's what gets me about people downplaying how Zach and the line are playing - Zach hasn't had Elijah Moore in there at all and Mims has barely seen the field with Wilson. It works both ways.

• Upvote 1

We always feel like it's just the Jets and so did I until doing further research because come to find out there's been a plethora of offseason injuries for all other teams too. 

(See for yourselves by clicking link below). 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/injuries

My screen shot could only fit (some) of the 1st teams injuries. ..

Screenshot_20210827-105354_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e1c7e76dea1bf8d83bd50ec04dc882b8.jpg

• Upvote 2

this is good even if they're getting disparaged because they're playing aginst the twos.  it's good because these guys are playing and practicing together.  throw in fant and maybe the left side of the oline will be pretty good on game day while the right side is still in flux.  we'll see.

3 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

Vera Tucker wasn't in and he may be our best Olineman, so they should do fine against starters in the regular season. That's what gets me about people downplaying how Zach and the line are playing - Zach hasn't had Elijah Moore in there at all and Mims has barely seen the field with Wilson. It works both ways.

I don’t know we seem to forget this guy is a rookie. AVT wasn’t looking that great in practice before getting hurt, how do we know he’ll step right in and be great?  He may take some time to develop and not every first round lineman works out. Hopefully he will but we may need to be patient. 

• Upvote 1

I think McGovern and GVR will both do better in this new system.  The addition of AVT was huge.  IF HEALTHY, this is an interior unit that should be much better.  Each year I think JD is going to pick off one upgrade.  We did LT with Becton then LG with AVT this year.  Next year is likely a C or a RG.  Just keep building.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Oh, I'm sorry Millennial, did I not weep and prostrate myself enough or declare the injured players as "brave and heroic" for being injured enough for your modern sensibilities? ?

Part two, I dont see anyone calling the injured players "brave and heroic" for being injured enough for anyones modern sensibilities, did I miss it?  

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

LOL. I was just yanking your chain. I wish I was a millennial. Is Eisenhower still president?

Been a rough and unpleasant week.  I'm sorta at the end of a couple of my ropes right now, my bad man, didn't mean to snap so hard.