AVT had a huge game

Rhg1084

13 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Him and Carter along with some of the youngsters on D I thought played really well. 

Honestly if the defense can get rolling with the younger guys that’s really encouraging.

We’re programmed to think that starters come from picks in the top three rounds and free agents. Getting some guys at non premium positions on day three and still having a functional defense would be a welcome change from having a defense built around corner play and endlessly spending first round picks on defensive tackles, linebackers, and safeties.

14 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

GVT needs to go 

Maybe we can still trade him for a 3rd rounder next year.

He's a rookie.  Who didn't play in preseason.  Who then struggled (with the rest of the line) in week 1.

I'm hoping he'll be fine, I loved the idea of drafting him to play next to Bechton, to make a dominant left side.   I also think Zack will be fine, I just have always liked the idea of sitting a rookie QB for a while to let them learn.

8 minutes ago, derp said:

Honestly if the defense can get rolling with the younger guys that’s really encouraging.

We’re programmed to think that starters come from picks in the top three rounds and free agents. Getting some guys at non premium positions on day three and still having a functional defense would be a welcome change from having a defense built around corner play and endlessly spending first round picks on defensive tackles, linebackers, and safeties.

We've obviously benefited from playing average QB's and I imagine real QB's would have blown the doors off the Jets the last 2 weeks but nonetheless, I agree, it's encouraging.  Especially getting something out of late round CB's when this team seemingly was always spending or wasting high picks on sh*tty secondary players. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

We've obviously benefited from playing average QB's and I imagine real QB's would have blown the doors off the Jets the last 2 weeks but nonetheless, I agree, it's encouraging.  Especially getting something out of late round CB's when this team seemingly was always spending or wasting high picks on sh*tty secondary players. 

Yeah I don't think it's good yet by any stretch of the imagination, but given the injury to Lawson, overall youth on defense, and the defense being on the field practically all game last week it's - as you said - encouraging.

1 hour ago, derp said:

Yeah I don't think it's good yet by any stretch of the imagination, but given the injury to Lawson, overall youth on defense, and the defense being on the field practically all game last week it's - as you said - encouraging.

makes you wonder how good this defense would have been if Lawson and Davis didnt get hurt

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Wasn’t his pff like 71 for the game ?

I too see a 5-12 season coming and worry that the scouting report was right about Zach (not ready - needs to sit a year).

I do agree with the opening post that AVT had an excellent game.  Zach was clearly off his game.  So I spent my time watching the other rookie - AVT.  He really did have an excellent game.  PFF is fun but I trust my eyes more.   We do not have the Washington Hogs but AVT looked like a solid starter yesterday.  He has a knack for seal blocks.  On one of them, you could see the defensive lineman read the play but AVT turned him anyway. 

Neither Barmore nor Wise were able to deal with him.  Its a shame that Zach did not recover.  The defense kept him in the game for the first three interceptions. 

4 hours ago, chirorob said:

Maybe we can still trade him for a 3rd rounder next year.

He's a rookie.  Who didn't play in preseason.  Who then struggled (with the rest of the line) in week 1.

I'm hoping he'll be fine, I loved the idea of drafting him to play next to Bechton, to make a dominant left side.   I also think Zack will be fine, I just have always liked the idea of sitting a rookie QB for a while to let them learn.

Sorry, I meant GVR — I can see why you thought I was referring to AVT.

• Upvote 1