Lafleur: Mims had another “great” practice

Rhg1084

45 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Is there any concern inside the building that some players (Becton, Mims, Quinnen) don’t appear to be running through walls for Saleh, considering that was his rep coming in?

No.

Becton, for all the criticisms I threw at him this summer, loves Saleh.

Quinnen too (who I believe will come on very soon because he’s is quietly dominating his matchups, even though the sacks aren’t there yet).

The Mims thing is a Mims problem and it’s isolated to Mims.  I could write a ten page thesis on it, but it’s not worth it.  That’s the skinny.

The only thing that stopped me from losing my sh*t last week is, from what I understand, the culture and vibe in that locker room are better than anything we’ve seen in a lonnnnnnng time.  Rankins wasn’t kidding in his presser.  They know this wasn’t going to be a quick fix.  The players, vets and rookies alike, are a tight nit group who truly believe that this is the start of changing everything that has been wrong with this franchise for what has been a decade now.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Best thing I could hear after waking up tomorrow morning is that Mims has been either traded or released.   Didn't work out here.  Let's move on and have a nice waffle with butter and Vermont maple syrup.  The kid is a mush.

I prefer eggs over easy with a side of pork roll white toast or pancakes and turkey sausage. 

This doesn't improve the WR position because the slugs will be our only options. 

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

No.

Becton, for all the criticisms I threw at him this summer, loves Saleh.

Quinnen too (who I believe will come on very soon because he’s is quietly dominating his matchups, even though the sacks aren’t there yet).

The Mims thing is a Mims problem and it’s isolated to Mims.  I could write a ten page thesis on it, but it’s not worth it.  That’s the skinny.

The only thing that stopped me from losing my sh*t last week is, from what I understand, the culture and vibe in that locker room are better than anything we’ve seen in a lonnnnnnng time.  Rankins wasn’t kidding in his presser.  They know this wasn’t going to be a quick fix.  The players, vets and rookies alike, are a tight nit group who truly believe that this is the start of changing everything that has been wrong with this franchise for what has been a decade now.

Glad to hear this because the early returns have been rather alarming in just about every aspect, imo. I’m watching a bunch of players that Saleh is going to have to lean on in the future be no-shows so far. The best players on the team are Berrios, Maye, and Mosley, and those guys won’t be here two years from now, if they’re even here next season. Saleh needs to get the young(er) vets on the team to buy in. Whether or not they love him is immaterial.

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Way to punt. I asked you.  Trading Adams and Williams and Anderson was a mistake, but trading Mims is the right thing to do?  I don't want to trade Mims.  What about you?

Adams and leo were significant starters on the team. If your asking me am I ok with trading a guy who doesn’t see the field? Well if the coaches won’t play him what else you wana do with him? 

10 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Adams and leo were significant starters on the team. If your asking me am I ok with trading a guy who doesn’t see the field? Well if the coaches won’t play him what else you wana do with him? 

That’s the confusing thing here.  The jet coaches are clearly making an example out of mims.  They don’t want to play him, but all accounts thus far are also that they don’t want to trade him.  So what exactly is the plan here?  It seems like the plan is to whip him relentlessly until he goes either into Jefferson mode from fast times or the football version of full metal jacket.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@TheNuuFaaolaExperience

Keelan Cole 0 catches 0 yards 

Jeff Smith 1 catch 35 yards 

Denzel Mims 1 catch 40 yards 

You cant handle FACTS 

Google is your friend before you spew  lies and drivel. 

I'm no mathematician but 1 is not more than 1. Use a calculator before you embarrass yourself again. This is what I mean about having an adult conversation. You somehow thought that the one catch Mims had was enough for him to start over the guys who are AHEAD of him on the depth chart.

Mims is awful. He has the same amount of catches as TWO other wide receivers, and one of them was injured in game one. Quit while you're behind.  Nice "facts."

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

That’s the confusing thing here.  The jet coaches are clearly making an example out of mims.  They don’t want to play him, but all accounts thus far are also that they don’t want to trade him.  So what exactly is the plan here?  It seems like the plan is to whip him relentlessly until he goes either into Jefferson mode from fast times or the football version of full metal jacket.  

Full Metal Jacket Movie GIF

2 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'm no mathematician but 1 is not more than 1. Use a calculator before you embarrass yourself again. This is what I mean about having an adult conversation. You somehow thought that the one catch Mims had was enough for him to start over the guys who are AHEAD of him on the depth chart.

Mims is awful. He has the same amount of catches as TWO other wide receivers, and one of them was injured in game one. Quit while you're behind.  Nice "facts."

You cant handle facts. 

Done. 

33 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Way to punt. I asked you.  Trading Adams and Williams and Anderson was a mistake, but trading Mims is the right thing to do?  I don't want to trade Mims.  What about you?

25 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

I'd trade a box safety and an interior DL who both wanted massive contracts every day - starters or not.  I'm keeping a talented rookie WR who is on a rookie contract.  Money matters.  As does position played.  How would the Jets be better this season (or last) with Adams and Williams on the field?  

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Mims has better stats than Cole and Smith. 

Fact 

You roped me into your childish game. I'll play, because I'm bored.

Mims has one catch, but isn't good enough to beat out a guy with no catches. BUT, his one catch was for 40 yards, while Jeff Smith's catch was only for 25. Wow! You REALLY won this debate. You should do this for a living. 

1 minute ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You roped me into your childish game. I'll play, because I'm bored.

Mims has one catch, but isn't good enough to beat out a guy with no catches. BUT, his one catch was for 40 yards, while Jeff Smith's catch was only for 25. Wow! You REALLY won this debate. You should do this for a living. 

Duude i'm done. 

Go have a beer watch the game. 

Enjoy 

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Duude i'm done. 

Go have a beer watch the game. 

Enjoy 

Before you go, I want to congratulate you on winning the dumbest argument in JN history. You are correct. Denzel Mims has a better stat line than Jeff Smith and Keelan Cole. Not sure why you even chose to have that argument. 

Denzel Mims - 1 catch for 40 yards

Jeff Smith - 1 catch for 25 yards

Keelan Cole - 0 catches for 0 yards

Choose better arguments. 

• Thumb Down 1

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Glad to hear this because the early returns have been rather alarming in just about every aspect, imo. I’m watching a bunch of players that Saleh is going to have to lean on in the future be no-shows so far. The best players on the team are Berrios, Maye, and Mosley, and those guys won’t be here two years from now, if they’re even here next season. Saleh needs to get the young(er) vets on the team to buy in. Whether or not they love him is immaterial.

Bryce Huff, Bryce Hall, MC II, JFM, Rankins, Quincy and Quinnen, Mosley, are all my serious standouts on defense,  Maye has been ok.  I honestly think that he’s shown that he is a good, not phenomenal talent at Safety.  Some team will pay him big money out of desperation if I had to guess.  Quinnen, like I said, has been quiet on the stats front, but man, I think he is gonna get there soon. He has been generating serious push on the D-Line and that’s why they, in particular, has been playing well.  Furthermore Ulbrich and Saleh put together a fantastic defensive game plan.  The corners and dline were feasting. 

On offense:

Zach Wilson - the other rookie QB struggles made me feel better that this is just part of the maturation process for Wilson.  @Zachtomims47 was right.  The tape from Sunday was bad, but it really was just BB doing is his thing more than it was Zach losing his f*cking mind and forgetting how to play football at a fundamental level.  The whole game-plan for NE was to bait Wilson into being cocky and aggressive and Zach fell right into the trap.  Once they disrupted his confidence and rhythm, his brain was in a tornado…and that’s ok in year one, game 2, against BB.  The kid has the right mindset, work ethic, physical tools, and brain.  I think he’ll learn a ton from last week.  I’m not guaranteeing a breakout performance for him this Sunday or anything; Fangio is a phenomenal defensive mind in his own right.  That being said, I think Zach is going to be fine in the long run. 

Michael Carter II looked pretty darn impressive.  Great short area quickness, burst, vision, and pass catching ability.

Elijah Moore could have gone for a hundo and a TD if Zach’s brain wasn’t a, literal, tilt-a-whirl.

Berrios is meme-tier around here because “lol white small WR”, but he’s been pretty damn impressive replacing Crowder in the slot (who can get traded at the deadline for all I care at this point.)

Corey Davis got swallowed by triple teams last week.  A vet QB probably exploits all the one on ones everywhere else and might even win the game, but that’s the life you get with developing a rookie QB, something I’m perfectly fine with because that’s what this year is all about.  Development.  I fully admit to losing sight of that Sunday at the game, and the night of as I stewed in anger.

I also want to point something else out.  I know LaFleur is people’s doghouse right now because they can’t fathom that Mims is the issue with Mims, but the OL protections, run game, and even route concepts were pretty damn good against NE.  Zach was just in a whirlwind and couldn’t recover, leading to missed opportunities, sacks, turnovers, etc.

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Before you go, I want to congratulate you on winning the dumbest argument in JN history. You are correct. Denzel Mims has a better stat line than Jeff Smith and Keelan Cole. Not sure why you even chose to have that argument. 

Denzel Mims - 1 catch for 40 yards

Jeff Smith - 1 catch for 25 yards

Keelan Cole - 0 catches for 0 yards

Choose better arguments. 

Thanks appreciate it. 

As long as you realize you were wrong and I provided you with facts. 

Learn to check your facts before you wreck yourself again. 

Get a clue. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, doitny said:

remember what Saleh said the other day. Mims might play well in practice but he doesnt think that the guys ahead of him will give him there spot. 

so what you should ask LeFleur is how good was Berrios and Coles practice?

it doesn't matter if Mims is driving a car at 100 mph if Berrios and Cole are also driving at 100mph and they left before Mims. Mims will never catch them unless one lets up on the gas. 

and we know how Saleh feel about hitting the brakes.. lol

Saleh talks a good game, but his actions are somewhat different.  The shine is waning.

I like Mims, but I have grown so tired of this story.  If he plays Sunday, I will root for him.  If he doesn't play Sunday, I will root for the guys who do. 

As to the coaches talking up how well he is practicing - I have always thought that you have to follow a coaches actions to know what they think of a player.  Deactivating him last week says way more than anything the OC might say after practice.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Fantasy Island said:

Saleh talks a good game, but his actions are somewhat different.  The shine is waning.

It’s as if saleh thinks that all the fans are on the same time table as he is, where he can take his time, instill his culture and be content to win 3 or 4 games this year knowing he’s not going anywhere and that he can ride guys like mims out of town.

• Upvote 2

It’s as if saleh thinks that all the fans are on the same time table as he is, where he can take his time, instill his culture and be content to win 3 or 4 games this year knowing he’s not going anywhere and that he can ride guys like mims out of town.
This is what it is.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I like Mims, but I have grown so tired of this story.  If he plays Sunday, I will root for him.  If he doesn't play Sunday, I will root for the guys who do. 

As to the coaches talking up how well he is practicing - I have always thought that you have to follow a coaches actions to know what they think of a player.  Deactivating him last week says way more than anything the OC might say after practice.

Hard to decipher why they let this out.  Why communicate that he’s practicing hard?  Who is this for, mims, the fans or the media?  It seems as if they’re trolling the media, throwing them a bone to further the narrative.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

Put both in a starting lineup and, assuming Mims can line up in the right spot, Cole would, once again, put him in a blender.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe you can help me out. His argument for Mims playing is that his one catch for 40 yards is better than another guy with one catch for 25 yards. Am I getting this correct?

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Maybe it's just me. Maybe you can help me out. His argument for Mims playing is that his one catch for 40 yards is better than another guy with one catch for 25 yards. Am I getting this correct?

You are, in fact, correct.

• Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

4 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You are, in fact, correct.

Look I can careless if Mims gets cut tonight I just root for the kid to succeed with the slugs we have at WR. 

ZW is struggling because of it. 

Hey what do I know right you guys are the experts with the inside information and the facts right. 

We all watch the same game and hope for the best outcome. 

• Upvote 1