The idea of drafting Wilson and Keeping Sam

KO91

Really don’t understand why this wasn’t considered more by the Jets. They could have declined Sam’s option and let him play out his rookie contract. 

1) The Jets invest a TON in Darnold. 3 seasons, the #6 overall pick, and 3 early 2nd round picks. Wasn’t the opportunity to evaluate his play in a new system with better WR options worth more to the Jets than what they got for him? It’s not like they received franchise altering compensation for Sam Darnold. 

2) A QB room of Darnold+Wilson is much better than Wilson + White. If Wilson wasn’t quite ready you had a very capable guy with upside of his own to hold the fort. 

3) Could have had an open competition between two young QBs in camp. Iron sharpens iron. If Darnold beat out Wilson and held his job by playing well than it’s a good problem to have in the off-season. 

I understand it would have been an awkward spot for Sam to be in, but that’s part of the job description. 

Obviously it’s only 3 games, but we are watching Sam finally put it together for another team. Conversely Sam’s replacement is being thrown into the fire and is looking overwhelmed. 

• Thumb Down 6

Frankly, drafting Wilson and keeping Sam makes the least sense to me out of the four potential options. 

Trading Sam, trading down from #2 for a haul and rolling with a veteran journeyman (Tyrod Taylor, Jacoby Brissett) while we build the team up so that an eventual QB is walking into a good situation makes far more sense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

10 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Is it possible JD was wrong? Time will tell. This should be a fun topic all year for most and painful for others. 

It's getting less and less fun and more and more painful, as the parameters are well known, and the possibilities past, present and future have been beaten to death.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KO91 said:

Really don’t understand why this wasn’t considered more by the Jets. They could have declined Sam’s option and let him play out his rookie contract. 

1) The Jets invest a TON in Darnold. 3 seasons, the #6 overall pick, and 3 early 2nd round picks. Wasn’t the opportunity to evaluate his play in a new system with better WR options worth more to the Jets than what they got for him? It’s not like they received franchise altering compensation for Sam Darnold. 

2) A QB room of Darnold+Wilson is much better than Wilson + White. If Wilson wasn’t quite ready you had a very capable guy with upside of his own to hold the fort. 

3) Could have had an open competition between two young QBs in camp. Iron sharpens iron. If Darnold beat out Wilson and held his job by playing well than it’s a good problem to have in the off-season. 

I understand it would have been an awkward spot for Sam to be in, but that’s part of the job description. 

Obviously it’s only 3 games, but we are watching Sam finally put it together for another team. Conversely Sam’s replacement is being thrown into the fire and is looking overwhelmed. 

they did consider it. JD said it would be unfair to Wilson and they didnt want a QB controversy. which we would be in if this scenario played out.

Jax got rid of Minshew, Cin got rid of Daulton when they drafted Burrow. some coaches dont want someone breathing down there rookies neck.

and basically if Sam played well we blew the 2OA pick. even if you trade Wilson at the end of the season your not getting back anywhere near what it was worth on draft day

• Upvote 1

They almost did it till Carolina offered that 2nd. 

Personally, I would of been ok with it. No pressure on the kid, he learns, and you give Sam one last shot. 

My suspicion is JD is going to use that 2nd with a future 2nd and a mid round to move up to snag a late 1st rounder. 

That would be 3 picks in the 1st round. JD's 2022 team needs to be drastically better and he knows it. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

My god the overreaction to 1 bad game is incredibly epic.  Let's use his one bad game as the ONLY measuring stick for him and declare Zach a bust now. I think many Jets fans just WANT to be miserable.

I agree I think it’s ridiculous fans are calling Wilson a bust after one bad game and only 2 career games. As for Sam I feel he needed to get away from NY and we needed to restart the rookie clock.  It’s a situation where I want both sides to excel eventually 

• Upvote 1

Having both of them on the team at the same time would have been impossible and a example of why is how people react when the coaching staff benches a mediocre 2nd round WR.  The other option would have been to keep Sam and trade down for a haul...that would have kept multiple options open at QB for the future.  JD put all the eggs in the Zach Wilson basket so let's hope that works out better then most of the other moves he's made.

Lol this is quite comedic since Jets fans would be screaming for Wilson to start after the 2nd preseason game. Most fans already moved on from Darnold and seeing him keep Wilson on the sidelines would have been ugly for the organization. If anything they should have brought in a veteran QB to take the lumps while they groomed Zach.

• Upvote 1