NY Jets: Marcus Maye 'would welcome' a trade to a contender

Bronx

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Gotcha. 
Although I must say I don’t buy into conventional wisdom on this.  
Would you take a 2nd now for next years 1st? 3rd for next years 2nd? 4th for next years 3rd?

I certainly wouldn’t, but maybe NFL GM’s feel differently  

The NFL is a marathon.

I just think for a few spots difference between the bottom of the 3rd to even a mid 4th and another pick, over the risk of getting a 5th or worse in a comp pick you take the given.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I went from wanting to extend Maye to not really caring what happens to him. This defense (and in particular, the secondary) is fine without him. I stand on that. Bryce Hall, Guidry and MC2 being ball players really reinforces that, too.

I would say they are okay without him; we have a few coverage issues when we don't get a great rush from DL, but it is not like Maye is going to fix that. Also, and I don't think it has been said enough, is NOT about the wins, but about building the core. So, a guy who isn't really going to help who is only here for 12 more games is not critical to that, so I say, save some cap, get some bodies/draft capital, and move on.

** Not saying we are successfully building the core - that is a debate in several other threads, just saying if that is the plan, wins are meaning less this year **

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, slats said:

Safety is one of the lowest valued positions in the league, making tagging a safety one of the cheapest tags. The Jets did that because the secondary looked like a black hole and the tag was affordable. 

The third round comp picks are return for losing free agents getting somewhere in the $20M/year range. I think Maye would be lucky to land a deal that nets him $10-11M/year, which probably has you looking at a fifth round pick in 2023. Getting a fifth or better in 2022 would be better value. Really, maybe even a sixth would be better. 

As others have said, qualifying for comp picks next offseason is no lock, although I believe that if they were in line to get a decent one for Maye that he’d work free agency in a way to get himself one. 

The bigger issue is that he tried to cover it up. I think the team would forgive a mistake -even a dumb one- but trying to hide it results in a loss of trust. I doubt there’s any coming back from that. 

Maye would have to land in the top 97 contracts in the league in Free Agency. Not sure where you got 20M a year. 

Contracts are ranked via a Final Numerical Value based on the sum of points awarded as follows:

• An inverse ranking of the contract's Average Per Year (APY) 
  • One point each for each percentage point of snaps played on offense or defense, with a minimum requirement of 25%. (Kickers and punters earn points based upon statistical performance.)
  • 20 or 5 points based upon being honored by the AP All Pro or PFWA On Field Awards lists.

He is on the cusp of a 3rd round compensatory pick. 14 Million APY and getting back on the field should get the Jets a 3rd rounder comp.

12 hours ago, viffer said:

Sucks???!!!

He's lucky he didn't kill anyone. These "legal issues" are his own doing. No one forced him to drink excessively and then get behind the wheel of a car. In my years as a firefighter I went out on way too many accident calls where a drunk driver killed an innocent victim. I have no sympathy if his value is knocked down a peg.

Sucks for us (overreact much?), since you know we’d be the ones trying to get compensation for him.

13 hours ago, Claymation said:

Maye would have to land in the top 97 contracts in the league in Free Agency. Not sure where you got 20M a year. 

Contracts are ranked via a Final Numerical Value based on the sum of points awarded as follows:

• An inverse ranking of the contract's Average Per Year (APY) 
  • One point each for each percentage point of snaps played on offense or defense, with a minimum requirement of 25%. (Kickers and punters earn points based upon statistical performance.)
  • 20 or 5 points based upon being honored by the AP All Pro or PFWA On Field Awards lists.

He is on the cusp of a 3rd round compensatory pick. 14 Million APY and getting back on the field should get the Jets a 3rd rounder comp.

Of course, it means nothing if we sign too many veterans. Not sure what JD is going to do in the offseason, but I would expect to him to sign 2-4 vets based on past experience and the fact that next year is about the wins. So, unless he is just bargain basement shopping, we will not get anything for Maye.

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Question:

Why don't we just keep our good players?

its not that simple. the fact that he hasnt signed yet means that they are not close. conventional wisdom is....considering everything....and the fact that they are not close...he is not a player we should stretch for.

12 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

its not that simple. the fact that he hasnt signed yet means that they are not close. conventional wisdom is....considering everything....and the fact that they are not close...he is not a player we should stretch for.

Well, that's really the question I'm asking.  Why not?

Who else are we paying?  Just getting more picks (that usually don't pan out) and acquiring cap space for players (that usually don't pan out)

Why not just keep the players we drafted that we know are good?

This facination with cap space and extra picks has not severe this team well.

• WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not a capologist

But having the most cap space in the NFL every year hasn't helped the Jets win games.

JD has been realigning the finances. He’s not afraid to pay for QB, OL, WR, or Edge, while also being correctly averse to paying Safeties, TEs, and RBs. 

IMHO, Maye is currently overpaid. I get it, because the secondary looked like a wasteland this season, but paying Maye eight figures isn’t sustainable. He won’t be on the team next year for that reason. That’s why he’s being shopped now. 

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, that's really the question I'm asking.  Why not?

Who else are we paying?  Just getting more picks (that usually don't pan out) and acquiring cap space for players (that usually don't pan out)

This facination with cap space and extra picks has not severe this team well.

Because if you take the “long view”, paying a safety big money means you will have to save elsewhere at some point. And obviously the team has to plan at least a few years ahead.

5 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Because if you take the “long view”, paying a safety big money means you will have to save elsewhere at some point. And obviously the team has to plan at least a few years ahead.

The theory is..eventually we're going to draft well, so even though we've failed for over a decade let's keep letting our good players go, because they're not the premium positions?

If that's what you're saying - I say this with 100% honesty.  I get it.  I really do.  Because you can't look at the past to determine the future - have to keep trying to do it the right way.  Makes 100% sense.   Seriously, I get it...

But at the same time - paying an extra couple a million a year to a Safety we drafted that's one of the few quality players on the entire roster might actually be better for the long-term - just to help keep the team competitive and build some consistency and confidence etc...

I don't know - but I'm tired of letting the few good players draft just go somewhere else.

7 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Question:

Why don't we just keep our good players?

Re-signing JFM was encouraging. Q will get a new deal. Maye is a bit long in the tooth, and will command a significant salary. If JD was planning on re-signing him, the DUI and the driving with a suspended license may have put the kibosh on that. It's a good question.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

The theory is..eventually we're going to draft well, so even though we've failed for over a decade let's keep letting our good players go, because they're not the premium positions?

If that's what you're saying - I say this with 100% honesty.  I get it.  I really do.  Because you can't look at the past to determine the future - have to keep trying to do it the right way.  Makes 100% sense.   Seriously, I get it...

But at the same time - paying an extra couple a million a year to a Safety we drafted that's one of the few quality players on the entire roster might actually be better for the long-term - just to help keep the team competitive and build some consistency and confidence etc...

I don't know - but I'm tired of letting the few good players draft just go somewhere else.

its not black or white, i think you could argue either direction. i am generally in favor of keeping the good players...but i also understand the other view. for me it really comes down to him being like 30 and in NFL years, he may as well be 50.

eh..
Maye's a good player.  He's not Aaron Donald...but he's likely the best player this team has on defense...certainly the best in the defensive backfield.

He’s a good player, but he’s not a needle mover either. I’d be happy if they resign him, however I am not losing any sleep if we don’t.

I hate the fact that this guy effed up and got pinched for a DWI, but truth be told as much as it hurts his trade value

it helps us if we wanna keep him......we all make mistakes.  I hope he can get through this and stays a jet. He’s not a JO like Jamal. 

22 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Because as good as he is, he isnt good enough to get the contract that it would take to keep him so trade him when youre the one in control of the trade?

When I first started playing dynasty fantasy football I was obsessed with "building for the future." Every year I traded guys who were approaching 30 thinking I needed to "get value" before no one would want to trade for them. I viewed it as a failure if I had a player on my roster who retired or who inevitably declined with age, no matter how productive they were because I missed an opportunity to convert them to rookie draft picks when they were 28 years old. My team got younger every year. I never placed.

Couple years ago I thought maybe I should let some of these young guys mature and develop. Currently steamrolling the league undefeated. Lesson: when all you do is build for the future, it never comes.