Jets Trade for Flacco

SR24

54 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They couldn't get this guy on a flight a day or more earlier?

It seems the irony is lost on no one that a team named the Jets are apparently airplane-challenged. :bag: We suck at everything, so why not this, too.  

39 minutes ago, Lith said:

A flight?  He was in Philadelphia.  They could have sent an uber to get him to Florham Park by Tuesday.

I was going to suggest the hour train ride, lmfao.  I mean...this ******* team

30 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The excuse-making for an unmatched level of incompetence at the QB position is really laughable.

As a quick reminder to everyone, the Jets went through camp with 3 backup QB options to Wilson, and at this point the result is that they all apparently fail in comparison to a washed-up old backup they got rid of earlier this year.  One wasn't even worthy of a roster spot a year after drafting him, another is no better than practice squad and considered unqualified to even be promoted as a third stringer, and then of course the "winner" of the #2 spot has a talent level that yields hysterical panic from the team the moment he actually has to perform his job for even a fraction of one game, needing to spend more to desperately bring back the guy who they previously wanted less than any of them.

At this stage, JD has pretty much put his cards out on the table that he is completely unqualified to evaluate NFL QBs (although that's seemingly not the only position), because while he cannot figure out what the right answer is, even he can clearly see that he's turned out to be wrong over and over again.

27 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Yeah, it does certainly add another layer of stupidity onto the deal, which is no easy task.  It's already an idiotic panic move regardless, but for a guy who's not even going to be here, at that point you might as well wait until Monday when you see how White/Johnson did and have another week's worth of info on Wilson.

100%.  And people trying to rationalize that because he apparently received a call about the trade as opposed to him making the call somehow makes it better?  The **** it does, it makes it 100000x worse.  

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

True. I didn't know where he was yesterday; they don't report back until like Wednesdays usually, right? 

Regardless, it's crazy that it took the Jets about the same 3 days to get him from Philadelphia to Florham Park that it'd take me to ****ing walk that same distance.

You guys are nuts lol. What, think they looked at travel prices and said no let’s wait till Wednesday or Thursday when the price goes down lol. 

We have no idea what the “personal reasons” is. Either way, the plan was never for him to start. 

31 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

100%.  And people trying to rationalize that because he apparently received a call about the trade as opposed to him making the call somehow makes it better?  The **** it does, it makes it 100000x worse.  

The only explanation is that Woody panicked and realized he will have empty seats/fans booing for every Jet home game the rest of the year and forced JD to make this move. 
I just don't see why we can't roll with Josh johnson as a backup. He's been a backup before. He CANNOT be worse than what the Seahawks are getting from Geno. 

2 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

wait what? 

wtf?

Someone help me

See my post above. I think this is Woody meddling. Nothing about this trade makes any sense. We are 1-5. We have Josh Johnson and White. We are getting Wilson back in a couple of weeks. 
JD doesn't do this on his own. Woody forced this move because he thinks adding a Super Bowl winning QB to the roster will make fans feel better. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

See my post above. I think this is Woody meddling. Nothing about this trade makes any sense. We are 1-5. We have Josh Johnson and White. We are getting Wilson back in a couple of weeks. 
JD doesn't do this on his own. Woody forced this move because he thinks adding a Super Bowl winning QB to the roster will make fans feel better. 

Oh Woody is def meddling. I called this after losing 54-13 and have every single major media person in sports entertainment just tearing the jets a new one. 

Grandpa Woody is not happy.....buckle up

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

wait what? 

wtf?

Someone help me

What’s even more odd is since Flacco isn’t getting here till Friday, which is just a walkthrough practice, he won’t be getting any reps till Monday.  So it’s unlikely he is even ready for the Colts game which is a Thursday Night game.  Bizarre stuff, even for the Jets. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:
  • Peterman was Buffalo's QB3. The QB2 was McCarron, who was initially getting more than a little chatter - agent-fueled as it may have been - as a UFA who might have QB1 upside upon leaving the Bengals, because he looked pretty good filling in for Dalton for about a month to close out 2015. McCarron was penciled in as the starter as the Bills headed into the draft with the #12 pick, since they didn't have any real assurance of which QB they'd be able to snag. 
  • Hundley impresses just about nobody, but he did start most of the season in '17. In between his sub-Wilson performances he also put up a few games with Rodgers numbers. He wasn't a good QB, now or then, but he had some experience and spent a couple years holding a clipboard for Aaron Rodgers (not Sam Darnold) with a HC who was instrumental in reworking Rodgers. That's a player who I think would be of more help - and reason to not surrender a pick for Joe Flacco - should Murray have gotten injured asa a rookie.
  • Tyrod Taylor was a decent game manager for years, and was a starter for the prior 3 seasons heading into 2018. He's not nearly as clownshoes of a QB2 as White (or the winner of the super-competitive White/Morgan showdown). He's as good a veteran QB2 as a team can pair with its rookie QB, seeing how he's a borderline starter anyway. 
  • Beathard had multiple starts in each of the 3 prior seasons. Arguably he's exactly the QB that Douglas should have signed in March. He may not be as good a QB as Minshew or Trubisky, but that's balanced out by his multi-year experience in the very system they were seeking to install. 
  • Savage was the starter week 1. Watson had to win the job first and then Savage got pulled after half a game because O'Brien had seen enough (and had enough experience to have some confidence in throwing Watson out there). That said, Savage had been on the team in the same offensive system for the prior 2 years (unlike White or Morgan), with an experienced OC/QBC as his HC.
  • Maddox was an NFL veteran of many seasons and, like Savage, was the actual opening day starter. So clearly Pittsburgh didn't head into the season thinking they had no choice but to put the rookie out there week 1.
  • Finley was on the team the prior year for Cincy, who wasn't installing a new offense that allegedly takes 2+ years to "get it" and it's not a minor point that Burrow was not at all considered a raw rookie. He was quite polished, and if there was any knock on him it was his alleged limited upside due to not having Wilson-like arm strength.

So these are all quite different than taking a pretty raw (we now see, more than pretty raw) rookie, in the offense's first year in this system, and the only one who's been in it before is the one installing it.

I don't think Douglas has been all bad, but this was a clear blunder to have a raw rookie whose first snap in week 1 already made him the most experienced QB on the roster in terms of facing starting-caliber NFL defenses.

McCarron never played for Buffalo. Peterson started week 1 and was replaced by Allen in week 2.

and since were talking about Buffalo 35yr old Derek Anderson was signed on Oct 9th.

Hundley sucked. yeah he had a little more experience then White but im not sure this fan base would have wanted that over other options.

i see what your getting at, ok so nobody had someone who never threw a pass. but that wasnt the point. these guys are nobodys. no threat to the FQB, and except for Taylor probably couldnt win a game for most teams. 

that was my point. nobody brings in anybody who could challenge anyone. and they dont bring in some wise old vet.

i dont think this fan base is upset cause White is starting Sunday and not Beathard or Hundley. i think they wanted Trubinsky, Minshew or old vets like Flacco and Foles from day 1

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Woody is very far from a good owner, but there is overwhelming evidence that shows he is still a far more competent decision-maker than little brother Fredo Johnson, as little as that may be saying.

That's questionable. Woody hired Idzik and Maccagnan. JD has made some bad errors, but he isn't on their level.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This is completely baseless conjecture, especially considering it's a player that Douglas has a personal connection to and brought in himself here last year while Woody wasn't even around.  The sh*t show that came after that move last year also pretty definitely proves it would never come anywhere close to your fictional narrative.

I have no idea why some around here insist the GM must always be an innocent victim, with the great "defense" being that they never actually contribute a single thing to the team whatsoever, but rather gets paid millions to spin just around in their chairs while the ownership and head coaches are super secret puppeteers behind it all, doing an additional highly-paid job for completely free.

Meanwhile, all evidence always actually points to the same very simple reality, the GMs themselves suck at their own jobs too, just like the rest of the folks this team employs.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

That's questionable. Woody hired Idzik and Maccagnan. JD has made some bad errors, but he isn't on their level.

Chris doubled down on Maccagnan after already being a proven disastrous failure, and then hired another proven incompetent failure in Gase, which is an immeasurable level of stupidity even for the Jets.

Anyone around here could take a bat to the head non-stop for a month straight and still have more of a functioning brain left than Chris to not do anything as mind-numbingly stupid as that.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

You guys are nuts lol. What, think they looked at travel prices and said no let’s wait till Wednesday or Thursday when the price goes down lol. 

We have no idea what the “personal reasons” is. Either way, the plan was never for him to start. 

Actually that's the part I think I do get. 

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Isn’t this just Flacco giving a big “FU” to the Eagles and Jets for jerking him around? What was the alternative? Flacco gets two days of actual practice and then gets pummeled  by the Bengals? Eff that. I’d take my sweet ass time reporting, too. 

He had a better chance of starting in Philly. He will never start in NY. I would take my time coming here too, or announce my retirement before leaving.