Jets Trade for Flacco

SR24

8 hours ago, jgb said:

The Joe Flacco of today is not the guy from when JD was in Baltimore. 

I'm not implying he is the same guy but if we were to bring in a vet, the Flacco and Douglas connection just seems like it makes sense. I'm sure Douglas liked more than just his skillset when he was scouting him. I guess my question is who else did you want?

• Sympathy 1

After reading yet another post of the same kind of complaining, it TRULY amazes me why Woody Johnson just doesn't hire a Jets Nation poster to be the next GM, because CLEARLY there are about a dozen posters who would obviously do a better job than JD.

You guys should get your resumes ready.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

After reading yet another post of the same kind of complaining, it TRULY amazes me why Woody Johnson just doesn't hire a Jets Nation poster to be the next GM, because CLEARLY there are about a dozen posters who would obviously do a better job than JD.

Says the guy who defended Mike Macagnan for years

6 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not implying he is the same guy but if we were to bring in a vet, the Flacco and Douglas connection just seems like it makes sense. I'm sure Douglas liked more than just his skillset when he was scouting him. I guess my question is who else did you want?

It makes no sense. This is a lost season. You don't bring in the Crypt Keeper as QB. You bring in a guy who has at least some hypothetical upside. Trubisky and/or Minshew could've been had for less than what we just gave up for Flacco. The time to have a backup plan is before you need one. JD screwed the pooch bigly.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

It makes no sense. This is a lost season. You don't bring in the Crypt Keeper as QB. You bring in a guy who has at least some hypothetical upside. Trubisky and/or Minshew could've been had for less than what we just gave up for Flacco. The time to have a backup plan is before you need one. JD screwed the pooch bigly.

Ah okay, I was under a different impression. I would prefer a vet to show Zach the ropes. I'm not really interested in a young body that could divide a locker room if the rookie struggles. Minshew and Trubisky both would have been better players hands down but I don't love the idea of pulling limited reps from Zach.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Ah okay, I was under a different impression. I would prefer a vet to show Zach the ropes. I'm not really interested in a young body that could divide a locker room if the rookie struggles. Minshew and Trubisky both would have been better players hands down but I don't love the idea of pulling limited reps from Zach.

And again, if the motivation was for Flacco to show Zach the ropes why is he currently on the Amtrak to NY? Should've been here from training camp. Signing a washed-up vet at this point is a pure surrender move designed to quell criticism and give JD some CYA. 

Your reps argument -- I'm sorry that is a very weak excuse to justify abject failure to support the most important position in sport by the GM.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

And again, if the motivation was for Flacco to show Zach the ropes why is he currently on the Amtrak to NY? Should've been here from training camp. Signing a washed-up vet at this point is a pure surrender move designed to quell criticism and give JD some CYA.  Pulling reps from Zach -- yeah thank God he got all those reps in the summer. Sure are glad JD made zero effort to support the most important position in sport.

Imagine a year or decade when posts like yours are a rarity?  I can't.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Well the last thing I would do is trade a draft pick for a backup QB who was on the team last season and we could have retained. 

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

And again, if the motivation was for Flacco to show Zach the ropes why is he currently on the Amtrak to NY? Should've been here from training camp. Signing a washed-up vet at this point is a pure surrender move designed to quell criticism and give JD some CYA.  Pulling reps from Zach -- yeah thank God he got all those reps in the summer. Sure are glad JD made zero effort to support the most important position in sport.

there not surrendering, i think its the opposite.

JD just realized that even though we dont expect many wins this year, he cant lose like that ever again and is smart enough not to go with a rookie these next 4 games. 

JD made a mistake, im glad he realized it and did something about it instead of being stubborn and doing nothing. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, doitny said:

there not surrendering, i think its the opposite.

JD just realized that even though we dont expect many wins this year, he cant lose like that ever again and is smart enough not to go with a rookie these next 4 games. 

JD made a mistake, im glad he realized it and did something about it instead of being stubborn and doing nothing. 

Fine is disagree. I stick to my position that this was a gutless move designed to cover JD from criticism, not in the best interest of the team. The best interest of the team would've been to bring in a younger guy with hypothetical upside in the summer. Rolling out Flacco's corpse at this point -- well if that isn't surrender I don't know what to call it.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

What youthful QB were you hoping we were going to bring in? I'm not denying this is a panic move but given the history between GM and QB the move seems to make sense.

I’d rather them play Johnson for the 2-4 games or Mike White. They’re 1-5 heading toward 1-8 or 2-7 at best why even make the move at this point?? You preached a youth movement all year but now it’s time to bring Flacco in? What’s Zach going to learn from Flacco at this point? Flacco has played 8 games in this scheme in Denver and was garbage. If this team was like 3-3 or 2-4 sure make a move and try to win a few games but at this point it just doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe if Joe D is gonna ship out Crowder and force them to play Moore inside and Mims out wide? You can sell me on at least trying to develop the WRs but unless that happens this is a dumb move 

57 minutes ago, jamesr said:

So ... Flacco comes in and starts the next few games (maybe).

If the offense looks much better - we can then decide that LaFleur's system is OK, just not working with ZW at QB.

If the offense doesn't look much better - we can then decide that LaFleur's system is not OK.

Either way this will at least give us something a bit different to talk about.

Except Flacco starting remains, at least for now, a fact not in evidence.

Mike White may remain as starter, in which case your theory no longer applies.

22 minutes ago, jgb said:

Fine is disagree. I stick to my position that this was a gutless move designed to cover JD from criticism, not in the best interest of the team. The best interest of the team would've been to bring in a younger guy with hypothetical upside in the summer. Rolling out Flacco's corpse at this point -- well if that isn't surrender I don't know what to call it.

Knowing that that ship has sailed......what was the right move now, this week, as you see it?  I saw you mention Minshew, is that the only move then or were there others you could see as superior to Flacco?

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Knowing that that ship has sailed......what was the right move now, this week, as you see it?  I saw you mention Minshew, is that the only move then or were there others you could see as superior to Flacco?

What would I do now? I wouldn't have put myself into this ridiculous position in the first place.

Better options missed by JD:

1. Bring in QB2 before draft

2. Bring in QB2 after draft

3. Bring in QB2 before mini-camp

4. Bring in QB2 before training camp

5. Bring in QB2 before pre-season

6. Bring in QB2 before week 1

7. Bring in QB2 before week 2

8. Bring in QB2 before week 3

9. Bring in QB2 before week 4

10. Bring in QB2 during Bye week

11. Bring in QB2 before week 6

Bugs Bunny Baseball Gif GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

So ... Flacco comes in and starts the next few games (maybe).

If the offense looks much better - we can then decide that LaFleur's system is OK, just not working with ZW at QB.

If the offense doesn't look much better - we can then decide that LaFleur's system is not OK.

Either way this will at least give us something a bit different to talk about.

Exactly what I was saying in gabe thread. We also need to evaluate personal and it’s tough to do in three and outs. Both offensive and defensive side of the ball honestly. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, jgb said:

JD seat is getting hot ? 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, peebag said:

Yea like Flacco has been reading the Jets playbook over there in Philly just getting ready for this.

He won't be ready until the 2nd or 3rd game and even then it'll be horror show.

Gawd damn I hate Jets.

not true - he actually knows the offense that's why they signed him. 

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

What would I do now? I wouldn't have put myself into this ridiculous position in the first place.

Better options missed by JD:

1. Bring in QB2 before draft

2. Bring in QB2 after draft

3. Bring in QB2 before mini-camp

4. Bring in QB2 before training camp

5. Bring in QB2 before pre-season

6. Bring in QB2 before week 1

7. Bring in QB2 before week 2

8. Bring in QB2 before week 3

9. Bring in QB2 before week 4

10. Bring in QB2 during Bye week

11. Bring in QB2 before week 6

Bugs Bunny Baseball Gif GIFs | Tenor

Understood.  Except the ship has sailed on all of those options. 

I acknowledge that if you were GM we'd have signed (or tried to) Trubisky or Minshew before the season, and that that player likely would have started the season as the #1 QB.

But that didn't happen, and here we are, today.  So what do you do?  

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Maybe. But look at the timing. If Flacco was brought in to be just a mentor, then why does this happen a day after Wilson gets knocked out?

Lets face it, Flacco is starting

• Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That was what I was wondering ... after this week's game we have a short week before Indy, so we could have two games w. White as starter and Flacco as backup maybe?

If White does start it will only give us one of the two potential outcomes ... if he starts and plays well, we can assume that it's Zac + system that isn't working. But if he stinks up the joint it doesn't necessarily prove it's the system ... it could jsut be White + system also isn't working. This would probably be my worst case scenario - so is most likely to be the outcome we end up with. :-( 

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Understood.  Except the ship has sailed on all of those options. 

I acknowledge that if you were GM we'd have signed (or tried to) Trubisky or Minshew before the season, and that that player likely would have started the season as the #1 QB.

But that didn't happen, and here we are, today.  So what do you do?  

It's like asking what would I do if I suddenly found myself behind the wheel of a car blackout drunk and careening toward a cliff. The answer is "I WOULD NOT BE THERE." 

I've stated my course of action early, often, and without the benefit of hindsight. I'm the last guy who should now have to state a position of how I'd come in and help JD un-**** himself. When you foreseeably leave yourself with only bad options by blowing tons of opportunities to avoid the present calamity, lack of good options is not an excuse. The time to have a backup plan is before you need the backup plan. Otherwise it would be called "the new plan."

The seeds of JD's destruction were planted in the off-season. I hope he is ousted because of it (although, he won't be).

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Maybe. But look at the timing. If Flacco was brought in to be just a mentor, then why does this happen a day after Wilson gets knocked out?

Lets face it, Flacco is starting

Doubt it will happen this week, but possibly in Indy. Mike White is not the answer to any question, at least not NFL QB related.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

All jokes aside, (and Lafleur too) semi competent QB play could have us 2 or even 3 wins right now.

Over the next 4/5 weeks:

• IND
  • MIA
  • HOU

All winnable. Not so much with the Wilson-Lafleur Midnight Express

Is winning these games without Zack important this year? As fans, we love to watch our team win, but in the big picture it is mostly about his (and of course others) growth and building chemistry. This is the only year Saleh is going to get where the number of wins isn't going to affect his status here - why worry about the wins now? If you are going to worry, why not sign a vet before the season starts?

Also, had this happened before the bye, he would have time to get up to speed. This is a new offense for him as he was here last under Gase (I think); how productive is he really going to be in the 2-4 weeks Zack is out?

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

Doubt it will happen this week, but possibly in Indy. Mike White is not the answer to any question, at least not NFL QB related.

probs right but wouldnt it be nice to know for sure?

I dont want to bring up this kid named Brady that was a 6th round afterthought.....

1 minute ago, HighPitch said:

probs right but wouldnt it be nice to know for sure?

I dont want to bring up this kid named Brady that was a 6th round afterthought.....

Brady isn't a fair comparison. You probably read/heard the story a few years back, think it was Gary Meyers when he was interviewed when his book on Brady and Manning came out. Brady's rookie season, B.B wanted to start him, but Kraft vetoed it out of his fondness and allegiance to Bledsoe. White has been with three teams and has shown he's not a prime time player. If the Jets wanted to go the true prospect route, with a young guy they were interested in seeing develop, they should have kept Morgan.