Faker Mayfield.....

Dunnie

45 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mayfield will be the replacement for Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Teams that don’t want to be terrible so they can draft a QB will sign him for mid-teens millions.  He will retire a wealthy man. 

The Browns should have him play out year 5 and then find a veteran.  If they can trade Mayfield’s year 5 they should do that.  This is good for the Jets because the Browns will not be able to afford players like Djoku   They need to pay a QB now, like the Bucs did  

Darnold most looked like/had the measurables of an NFL QB.  He just did not understand the game well enough and can’t play against good defenses/good DCS.  He will also linger around the league a while.  The Panthers will draft another QB and keep Darnold as the bridge-like the Jets could have done. 

Retire wealthy? They been running those stadium commercials non-stop since his rookie year. Have to imagine he won’t sound too bad right now. 

Don't like him but it's clear he's hurt.  Great arm normally, accurate but I hate his size and when he moves out of the pocket bad things happen.   When you're a short QB you have to be able to make subtle moves in the pocket and adjust your arm angle to get the ball out.  It's not a strong point of his.  I think the injuries have made him a little nervous.  You can see it in his feet.  

He has a lot of work to do to get himself straightened out.   I think he's still got enough to be a bottom 15 QB in this league.  That's not bad.  We haven't had a bottom 15 to 20 QB forever.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

I remember after the draft my uncle said to me we should’ve taken Josh Allen and I laughed in his face. Crazy how things turned out. 

Yep.  Think about how Jetsy that draft was.  We were sitting in the perfect spot finally getting a break, but we traded up to actually avoid picking the prize of that draft.  Jets.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re the one who left a smug post (again) about Mayfield saying he has more ints than Darnold, as if that proved some point you wanted to make comparing the two.

I just asked you to give me any other QB related metrics comparing them. I’m still waiting.

Ok - he's clearly better than Darnold. 

Feel better? 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, NYJets43 said:

I really didn’t like Mayfield coming out. I actually think he’s been better than expected. 

That said I think that first year is an example of why you don’t put the cart before the horse. The NFL went to school on him and exposed some of his weaknesses the following year. I could see the same thing occurring with Mac Jones. 

What do you think about Wilson?

I’m curious, do you think he is another example of putting the cart before the horse?

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re the one who left a smug post (again) about Mayfield saying he has more ints than Darnold, as if that proved some point you wanted to make comparing the two.

I just asked you to give me any other QB related metrics comparing them. I’m still waiting.

It’s not smug to say Baker has been a disappointment and to realize that the Browns are probably walking away.  

I have no idea why you keep insisting on bringing Darnold into this.   Being better than Darnold doesn’t make you anything special 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

I have no idea why you keep insisting on bringing Darnold into this.   Being better than Darnold doesn’t make you anything special 

You’re amazing. You really are. ?
You brought Darnold into the conversation, not me. You’re the one who posted that Mayfield has more ints than him.

All I did was ask you how the rest of their stats matched up. I’m still waiting for those other numbers btw….

6 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

You’re amazing. You really are. ?
You brought Darnold into the conversation, not me. You’re the one who posted that Mayfield has more ints than him.

All I did was ask you how the rest of their stats matched up. I’m still waiting for those other numbers btw….

He does have more interceptions.  But you can’t just leave it at that, you ignored everything else said and want to harp on that he’s better than Darnold.  No shlt, who friggen cares.  What is with you Baker fan boys.  He’s soooo gritty, did you know he once grabbed his balls to prove he was?  
alfred hitchcock smile GIF by FilmStruck

I don't care for many of the 'talking heads', but to be fair, the transition from college QB to NFL QB is quite difficult. NFL defenses are much more complicated and have significantly better talent than the average college team. You rarely see WR with 1 yard separation let alone 5-10. Also, it is very much a team sport which requires a competent team and more importantly a good coaching staff. And, if the transition doesn't happen early, the QB could be 'ruined' for life.

So, were all the 'talking heads' wrong about Trevor? Or, was he put in a bad situation on a terrible team? Hard to say. It is also difficult to walk away the investment (draft picks, $, and for the fans time) and to know when to walk away. I would have kept Darnold another year, not because he was cheated or going to break out, but to build the team by trading down so that the new QB would come to a good offense with a scheme that was already in place. Clearly the Jets didn't do that, but think about how much of Zack's sucking was 100% on him, or could be attributed to an inexperienced Offense all learning a new scheme. Hopefully, Zack is making the transition (it appears so based on his last game or two).

So is Trevor really this bad, or is it a combination of his inexperience and failure to adjust compounded by a bad team with bad coaching?

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He does have more interceptions.  But you can’t just leave it at that, you ignored everything else said and want to harp on that he’s better than Darnold.  No shlt, who friggen cares.  What is with you Baker fan boys.  He’s soooo gritty, did you know he once grabbed his balls to prove he was?  
alfred hitchcock smile GIF by FilmStruck

No. I responded directly to what you said. You’ve continued to babble on about everything except what I asked you.

It’s actually pretty funny.

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

No. I responded directly to what you said. You’ve continued to babble on about everything except what I asked you.

It’s actually pretty funny.

One more time, you were defending him, I said he has more INTs than Darnold, which is true.  Better yet, since hes been in the league he leads in INTs.  Mow what, you want to tell me hes a better QB than Darnold?  Which I've said all along?

Youre a Mayfield fan boy, we get it.  I think hes not good at what he does.  Move on, why do you feel the need to try and hammer me for correctly stating that Mayfield has more INTs than Darnold is beyond reason.  

Youre fighting with so many because they dont agree with you that you have no idea who responded to who.  I never brought Darnold up to you, youre imagining that one.  Beerfish responded to someone comparing Darnold to Baker and said that Baker played on better teams, I said to Beerfish that he has more INTs than Darnold and then you went off.  Grow up, get a life and move on

Baker Mayfield has helped build the Browns back to respectability and a playoff win in 2020.   He is undersized for the position and beat up.  He has done his job, and next year is a big year for him.

His first year was 7-8-1 (call it .500), then 6-10, then 11-5, and then this year.  

Baker is smart enough to understand the game, and move around, and when not hurt can make the throws.  I thought he was very similar to Zach Wilson.  Kind of sad that Wilson's first year was not as good as Baker's, but if Wilson can win 7-9 games next year and continue the trajectory, I think people would be happy with him.  

What do we think Wilson does better than Baker, other than being 2 inches taller?  I don't think Wilson weighs more.  

I think the Browns try and upgrade this off season, and if that means eating Baker's 5th year option if they can't trade him (and potentially taking a step backwards), I can see them doing that.  Otherwise, if I am the Browns I am rolling with Baker and his good cap number and franchising him until I can find a better long-term replacement.  

17 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Sure, he’s sucked in everything he’s done outside of Curb.

But such a mediocre pro athlete being shoved down your throat on multiple commercials, multiple times during every game for like, 3 or 4 years now?

This is completely unprecedented 

Agree.

I genuinely wonder what kind of contract he signed -- I cannot ever remember a worse player with more endorsement deals. 

2 hours ago, varjet said:

Baker Mayfield has helped build the Browns back to respectability and a playoff win in 2020.   He is undersized for the position and beat up.  He has done his job, and next year is a big year for him.

His first year was 7-8-1 (call it .500), then 6-10, then 11-5, and then this year.  

Baker is smart enough to understand the game, and move around, and when not hurt can make the throws.  I thought he was very similar to Zach Wilson.  Kind of sad that Wilson's first year was not as good as Baker's, but if Wilson can win 7-9 games next year and continue the trajectory, I think people would be happy with him.  

What do we think Wilson does better than Baker, other than being 2 inches taller?  I don't think Wilson weighs more.  

I think the Browns try and upgrade this off season, and if that means eating Baker's 5th year option if they can't trade him (and potentially taking a step backwards), I can see them doing that.  Otherwise, if I am the Browns I am rolling with Baker and his good cap number and franchising him until I can find a better long-term replacement.  

I think you're underestimating how loaded the Browns have been. After sucking at drafting for two decades they finally got good and have a lot of talent on that team (see Jets, it can be done.)

With better QB play I think the could be contenders.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

One more time, you were defending him, I said he has more INTs than Darnold, which is true.  Better yet, since hes been in the league he leads in INTs.  Mow what, you want to tell me hes a better QB than Darnold?  Which I've said all along?

Youre a Mayfield fan boy, we get it.  I think hes not good at what he does.  Move on, why do you feel the need to try and hammer me for correctly stating that Mayfield has more INTs than Darnold is beyond reason.  

Youre fighting with so many because they dont agree with you that you have no idea who responded to who.  I never brought Darnold up to you, youre imagining that one.  Beerfish responded to someone comparing Darnold to Baker and said that Baker played on better teams, I said to Beerfish that he has more INTs than Darnold and then you went off.  Grow up, get a life and move on

TLDR
Did you answer my question? ?

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

With better QB play I think the could be contenders.

That is correct.  The Browns have 2 seasons to find a better QB before Mayfield’s contract explodes.  

You can see how they will be in the running for Watson. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

That is correct.  The Browns have 2 seasons to find a better QB before Mayfield’s contract explodes.  

You can see how they will be in the running for Watson. 

I don’t see them moving off Mayfield, but if they did, they wouldn’t take a chance doing it with a guy who could be suspended half the year and cost them their season.

In the end, they won 11 games last year with a healthy Mayfield, I can’t imagine they blow things up. They’ll get Conklin back, move Wirfs back where he belongs, then address the WR position. Landry is shot, and DVP is a #3. They need a lot of help there.

***Finally, as good as Chubb is, Stefanski has to get his head out of his a** and open up the offense. WRs are basically OL in his scheme, and no good WR will want to play there.  
Diggs looked to get away from him in Minny, and OBJ did the same this year. They don’t want to play for a guy who’s throwing the ball almost 200x less a year than the top offenses.***

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:13 PM, Peace Frog said:

They already picked up his option for next year so they can’t really cut him but I can’t imagine they’re going to take a QB at 12-14. Quite a pickle. 

Which brings me to this question. Is there any scenario where you would trade Cleveland's pick for the Jets? What would it take?

On 1/4/2022 at 9:26 PM, Green Ghost said:

In the end, they won 11 games last year with a healthy Mayfield, I can’t imagine they blow things up. They’ll get Conklin back, move Wirfs back where he belongs, then address the WR position. Landry is shot, and DVP is a #3. They need a lot of help there.

Wirfs? 

Honestly I don't know what to think of Mayfield. He's regressed, but everybody regresses when they have an injury.

He's proven he can be good, but he's also proven that he can be good when he has good RBs. I really don't know.