Visual representation of 2022 Draft Capital/Cap space per team (Best positioned teams are all in the AFC)

16 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The Johnson contract never made sense. I can appreciate the gamble behind Bell. Go out and get your young budding QB the best offensive weapon since Marshall Falk, seemed like a solid move, even with the year off.

I do think we see more of a spend this offseason. Schultz is the crown jewel I want.

Does this seem right, $12M per year?

It will be intriguing to see what type of market evolves for Schultz. Spotrac has Schultz projected for a potential four-year contract worth around $12 million per year. That is comparable to the type of contract signed by Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith last offseason. That value seems about right for Schultz, given his productivity at a position where it’s hard to find top-tier talent.

• Upvote 3

On 1/13/2022 at 8:19 PM, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I'm not one to give accolades for having enormous cap space as many have done to JD...for me, it shows a lack of willingness to use resources as if there is a prize for the one with the most marbles at the end of the day...no doubt in my mind that Woody is thrilled to see that much money in his favor on the ledger books..I fully expect JD won;t come close to using the majority of it and will continue with a large reserve going forward.

imo it wasn’t that at all

It was that he had 2 draft coming up, each with so many high picks he had the draft capital of 2 drafts each year. As such, he didn’t want to pigeonhole himself into (or more importantly, out of) certain positions because he’d locked the team into someone else for big bucks guaranteed for the next 2 seasons. 

Last year he signed a couple 8-figure (but not elite) veterans, at two different position groups (both of them top tier position groups, too), though neither of them were hits for different reasons. The rest were temporary patches who’d be overtaken by draft picks, or a future veteran, or fingers-crossed the stopgap became a real player. 

I think he wanted a season of seeing what he got out of a large draft class, and then fill in with 2-3 more real veteran starters again this year, too. But he’s not going to go balls deep in FA when he’s got 4 top 40 picks coming up a month later (in addition to 3 more in rounds 3-4). 

Like it or not, this is the strategy and the reasons why. Or anyway, that’s certainly how it looks to me.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Does this seem right, $12M per year?

It will be intriguing to see what type of market evolves for Schultz. Spotrac has Schultz projected for a potential four-year contract worth around $12 million per year. That is comparable to the type of contract signed by Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith last offseason. That value seems about right for Schultz, given his productivity at a position where it’s hard to find top-tier talent.

Would make him the 7th or 8th highest paid TE, I'd absolutely do that!

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

imo it wasn’t that at all

It was that he had 2 draft coming up, each with so many high picks he had the draft capital of 2 drafts each year. As such, he didn’t want to pigeonhole himself into (or more importantly, out of) certain positions because he’d locked the team into someone else for big bucks guaranteed for the next 2 seasons. 

Last year he signed a couple 8-figure (but not elite) veterans, at two different position groups (both of them top tier position groups, too), though neither of them were hits for different reasons. The rest were temporary patches who’d be overtaken by draft picks, or a future veteran, or fingers-crossed the stopgap became a real player. 

I think he wanted a season of seeing what he got out of a large draft class, and then fill in with 2-3 more real veteran starters again this year, too. But he’s not going to go balls deep in FA when he’s got 4 top 40 picks coming up a month later (in addition to 3 more in rounds 3-4). 

Like it or not, this is the strategy and the reasons why. Or anyway, that’s certainly how it looks to me.

Understood but who is he going to have to pay in that awful 2020 draft class?...I can't see anyone from there getting a big future contract...Bryce Hall and maybe Becton will be the only ones getting decent money.

1 hour ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Understood but who is he going to have to pay in that awful 2020 draft class?...I can't see anyone from there getting a big future contract...Bryce Hall and maybe Becton will be the only ones getting decent money.

I don’t think, in March 2021, that he’d already written off his 2020 draft class. Becton was their LT for the next decade, Mims was a starting WR, plus all I remember hearing is Hall would’ve been a 1st/2nd rounder if not for pre draft injuries, and... other than the punter everyone else looked bleh but so do plenty of good players as rookies. 

Fast forward a year and the class looks quite a bit worse. 

But again it was as much about having so many picks in 21 and 22, or so I think. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2022 at 6:44 PM, Big_Slick said:

Absolute BS. The GM is responsible for draft picks. Yes, wise GM's solicit input from the coaching staff but the final decision is the GM's *AND* they all know it. Becton, Mims and the rest are all Joe's. 

JD doesn't get a pass for his 1st draft. GM's are judged by their win-loss record.

The only way to truly forget/forgive the '20 draft is for Zack to turn into a top level QB and JD hits big time on this years FA/Trade/Draft.

Unfortunately, you can ask Tanny if he agrees... He had his best drafts with Mangini, and he least with Rex, so tell me how JD wasn't appeasing GASE the first year he was a GM.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:28 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

We are going to get the best olineman in the draft at 4, the best wr in the draft at 10, the best tight end in the draft at 35 and the best rb in the draft at 38.

These players will be better then all the kids we drafted last year.

3 outta 4 ain't bad... Now substitute a LB for RB and you've nailed it 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:28 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

We are going to get the best olineman in the draft at 4, the best wr in the draft at 10, the best tight end in the draft at 35 and the best rb in the draft at 38.

These players will be better then all the kids we drafted last year.

So, you think the guys we pick this year will be better than Zach, AVT, and Elijah Moore? Doubtful. This class from what all the experts have said is deep but not elite at the top. Top two edge guys wouldn't have gone in the top 10 last year. That being said, the draft is a crap shoot. Many of the top players from drafts were not picked in the top 10 in previous years so no-one really knows until they suit up. It all depends on where they go, if they are a good fit and how they are coached up.