Would you consider trading for DeShaun Watson if you were Douglas?

Trading for Watson would not be a JD decision, for a number of reasons.  Most importantly, it is basically saying that ZW is not worth his rookie salary (and the player that can be had to support him, rather than pay him), and that we preferred Watson.   So it would be Woody to basically decide to pull the plug on ZW, eat that money, and take on Watson and all of his baggage, which baggage would basically prevent the Jets from being any good.   I don’t see this happening in 2022.

In a redraft, the Jets are drafting Jamar Chase and keeping Darnold, and then trying to find a QB later, like Cousins, or Russell Wilson, etc.  But I don’t see why the Jets should be that worried about ZW.  Look at the Buccanneers.  They drafted Winston, also at 2, and built a team around him.  People say that the Bucs built with FAs, but that really is not the case-it was a good mix, and they had great building block draft picks.  They are franchising one right now.  The Bucs also picked up Winston’s fifth year option.   Build the team around Zach, and if it does not come together for him, then you still have a team that works for another QB.   Its win/win.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, varjet said:

Trading for Watson would not be a JD decision, for a number of reasons.  Most importantly, it is basically saying that ZW is not worth his rookie salary (and the player that can be had to support him, rather than pay him), and that we preferred Watson.   So it would be Woody to basically decide to pull the plug on ZW, eat that money, and take on Watson and all of his baggage, which baggage would basically prevent the Jets from being any good.   I don’t see this happening in 2022.

In a redraft, the Jets are drafting Jamar Chase and keeping Darnold, and then trying to find a QB later, like Cousins, or Russell Wilson, etc.  But I don’t see why the Jets should be that worried about ZW.  Look at the Buccanneers.  They drafted Winston, also at 2, and built a team around him.  People say that the Bucs built with FAs, but that really is not the case-it was a good mix, and they had great building block draft picks.  They are franchising one right now.  The Bucs also picked up Winston’s fifth year option.   Build the team around Zach, and if it does not come together for him, then you still have a team that works for another QB.   Its win/win.  

Good post, agree with all of it - except the bolded is incorrect.

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It would be idiotic to sign someone with his baggage. His court cases aren’t over yet. There has to be a red line with fans in terms of who you can root for. 

I almost hoped they did trade for him so I could be done with the franchise :-)

It would be the walk away point for me.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Watched the immediate reaction to the dismissal announcement on ESPN. Schefter comes on, gives a thirty second recap about what happened, sounded appropriately morose. The moderator/host then immediately asks Schefter, “so what does the trade market look like for him now?” Schefter gleefully answers Panthers-Eagles, etc. Moderator-host swings it over to Damien Woody and asks him, “Big Wood! Where would YOU like to see him end up?,” to which Woody answers, “Seattle!” Whatever teams trades for him, their fans will be excited, the local coverage will be mostly favorable, and somewhere down the line, news outlets will assign one of their female reporters a piece scolding the NFL for harboring these types of people. No one will read those pieces. 

^^

This is an accurate summary of what will happen, unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

Would you consider trading for DeShaun Watson if you were Douglas?

I would not.

Purely for moral reasons.  While he may not be facing charges, I still think he did it.  

As with Mike Vick, I prefer not to have my favorite team field players I cannot in good conscience feel good rooting for.

I appreciate others feel differently.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I would not.

Purely for moral reasons.  While he may not be facing charges, I still think he did it.  

As with Mike Vick, I prefer not to have my favorite team field players I cannot in good conscience feel good rooting for.

I appreciate others feel differently.

Vick being on the team was the closest I have come to saying FU to the Jers. A Watson trade would probably tip me over the edge.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ArchieBunker said:

No idea if ownership would allow him to bring Watson in, but if I was JD and my job was on the line I would think long and hard about it. The Jets have the cap space and draft capital to pull this off. 

Listen, I like Zach and am obviously rooting for him, but a bird in the hand is better than a bird in the bush. Watson is a legit top 5 QB. Zach is a question mark who is coming off of a substandard rookie year. 

If the Jets deal for Watson and Houston doesn’t want Wilson they can still likely get a first round pick for him given how many QB needy teams there are this year. 

If Wilson strikes out next year everyone is getting fired and his value is a mid round pick at most. 

If that Bush belongs to Scarlett Johansson, I’m all in. Or at least I’d like to be all in. Metaphorically. And literally. 

It's not happening.  The ship has sailed.  The Jets drafted a QB and will ride that out now.  Plus, he's still a risk and a suspension may be looming.  I doubt the Jets want any part of him.  If this were a year ago and the sexual assault issues never existed, this would be a valid question with the central issue being how much is too much to give up. Now, it's a non-starter.  

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2022 at 2:56 PM, ArchieBunker said:

No idea if ownership would allow him to bring Watson in, but if I was JD and my job was on the line I would think long and hard about it. The Jets have the cap space and draft capital to pull this off. 

Listen, I like Zach and am obviously rooting for him, but a bird in the hand is better than a bird in the bush. Watson is a legit top 5 QB. Zach is a question mark who is coming off of a substandard rookie year. 

If the Jets deal for Watson and Houston doesn’t want Wilson they can still likely get a first round pick for him given how many QB needy teams there are this year. 

If Wilson strikes out next year everyone is getting fired and his value is a mid round pick at most. 

Boy, the way Glenn Miller played,
songs that made the hit parade,
Guys like me we had it made,
Those were the days.