WIDE RECEIVERS after round 1 of FA

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I’m pretty sure it’s a lock at 10. 
Edge at 4, WR at 10. 

Two glaring holes, high value positions and JD made little to no effort in addressing either in FA.  

I wouldn’t say he made no effort.  I just think he didn’t love the options and rather get a good young WR on a rookie deal.  At 10 we should have pretty much all options available for WR 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Garrett Wilson at 10.  Trade back from 4 to pick up extra picks and draft Tyler Linderbaum.

Now with 3 picks in the 2nd round you go McBride, Breece Hall and best pass rusher available.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garrett Wilson too short. 

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

rereading this though -- I've been supportive of Wilson as good prospect, making a case for why he's cleaner/better than J. Williams and so forth... but he's not THAT good. Not top 10 good. It's kind of the theme for this WR class; a lack of restraint when it come to praise. (the general draft community, not you specifically). 

None of these guys are top 10 clean to me... it's just a matter of their competition across the draft being so-so that even makes this a convo.

100% none of these guys go top 10 in some of those loaded draft years.  

Its the lack of competition, and the fact that we just saw a team draft a WR high that won rookie of the year and was a massive factor in their super bowl run.  Those kind of things leave an impact on teams and push positional value up the boards. 

While none of these guys are top 10 caliber wrs. its inevitable with the needs of some teams and the recent history of success drafting the position that one of them slips into that slot.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, derp said:

Wholeheartedly agree. Layer in that the wide receiver classes have been really good lately and that’s where most of the offensive skill talent is, and I think this is a down year. Looking at what the wide receiver market has been like in free agency, seems like NFL teams agree.

If the NFL fades the wide receiver position, London is the top guy off the board, the Jets move from 10 to 20, and Wilson is sitting there…all good. But the top ten talk isn’t something I get.

Definitely think @Chrebetfan80 is on to something with the Jets and Watson and could absolutely see them doing that early in the second. Think he’s a risky prospect but of anyone I think he fits what they’d do in a bunch of ways.

Once this draft hits the second round I think it’s possible that at every pick, given a choice between a wide receiver and a tight end, my preferred player available will be a tight end. They’re going to be the better values.

I also think that meshes with how the Jets want to play.

And I know it’s how I want the Jets to play.

I just think they know it would be redundant to take a guy like wilson who does very similar things to Moore, and you also have a guy now like berrios who can do a lot of similar things (just not nearly as well). 

London would be the guy im pegging to them if they werent drafting at 10.. If they trade down at 10, then I think london is their preferred guy to grab.  However, I just dont see them being able to find a partner willing to trade up to 10.   That means they'll be looking to either trade back up into RD 1 or taking one High in 2.  The next guy i think can play similar to london and also is really well rounded is Watson.  

I know others will argue burks here but hes just not the athlete clearly as we've seen in testing, or as well rounded as Watson.  Clearly theres risks with a smaller school prospect from a run heavy offense, but he's shown some really good stuff on tape, they were creative getting him touches there, and he performed all week at the senior bowl and for my money was the clear best in the 1v1s in practice.  Hard to imagine them passing on him in rd 2 unless there was someone they absolutely could not miss. 

• Upvote 1

Also i think its important to think about logistics of the draft and who will be where when.  Say we get to round two and Watson is still on the board.  So is Mcbride, so is Winfrey or inset another passrushers name we know they like.

It may behoove JD to take a guy like Watson over the other two because of positional depth of the team and draft.  I think most people would want Mcbride there, and I wouldnt argue against the pick, but when looking at this draft, after Watson, there really are no other WR's that offer what he can brign to the table.  Same could be said about Mcbride but the depth in the TE class is much greater and the fall off not as precipitous as at WR. Pass rusher also makes sense to pass due to the depth and the fact that the jets will already have drafted one guy early in RD 1. 

So when analyzing the draft, not only does the prospect make sense from a scheme and talent standpoint, it also fits in terms of what may be a reality at that point in the draft. 

30 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

God I really wish Mims would just get his sh!T together. Would be such a huge piece to the offense if he played to the ability. 

But no he’s gotta loaf and be an idiot. 

Not going to happen.  They'll give him training camp and he'll be camp cut.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Paradis said:

https://voca.ro/1CBtdgaw5QeA

Interesting angle tho ??

god i love it when you talk dirty to me in that canadian accent lol

Great points... The one thing we as jets fans have to learn to accept right now is that JD does what he says, and unlike other failed GMs here is 1000% committed to building this thing around Zach. Came in, said we have to fix the line... Significant investments into the OL.  TEs? Signs a really good one in FA and by all accounts isnt done at the position yet.  Invests capital in a WR and RB last year with really good results and resigns one of his guys that he has a ton of chemistry with.  Then as you said, by all accounts prepared to go all in on Williams or Trade for Ridley. 

I think this signals that JD is adding a WR fairly early in this draft and by that i mean no later than RD 2.  Watson and London are the two guys i think they want the most.  If London doesnt test at his pro day which is rumored, that takes him out of the running at 10, and to me, im not even 100% sure JD would take a WR at 10.  I think he would prefer to trade down and grab one a few spots later.  Thats why to me Watson makes the most sense, even possibly in a trade up if his value has risen to that of a late first rounder.  

Another really important note in all of this is JD's clear proclivity now to give the coaching staff what they want.  They wanted a veteran guard this offseason not a rookie.. He got tomlinson,  Middleton loved Uzomah, got him.. All the FA's have some ties to this staff and JD made it a point to get them.  Even in the draft there were guys that the staff was insanely high on late and got their wish.  Starts to make you think how much of that first draft was all guys JD wanted and how many Gase and Williams lobbied hard for and JD gave in.  I know for a fact that Williams was in love with Ashtyn Davis so its quite possible that he bent to their will too much.. Which also can be a negative.  

This isnt to say that JD only takes who the coaches want, but I do think they have a heavy say in decisions, as they should realistically.  JD has final say on all moves, but its clear that Saleh and his staffs opinions weigh heavily in the process. 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Garrett Wilson at 10.  Trade back from 4 to pick up extra picks and draft Tyler Linderbaum.

Now with 3 picks in the 2nd round you go McBride, Breece Hall and best pass rusher available.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just take the best pass rusher at 4 please.

Just now, Paradis said:

i've been a huge Robinson fan... so, obviously that's not happening.

I’ve always felt like he could do more with the opportunity, he wouldn’t be a bad option at all. I can’t see him costing more than a few mil 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

god i love it when you talk dirty to me in that canadian accent lol

Great points... The one thing we as jets fans have to learn to accept right now is that JD does what he says, and unlike other failed GMs here is 1000% committed to building this thing around Zach. Came in, said we have to fix the line... Significant investments into the OL.  TEs? Signs a really good one in FA and by all accounts isnt done at the position yet.  Invests capital in a WR and RB last year with really good results and resigns one of his guys that he has a ton of chemistry with.  Then as you said, by all accounts prepared to go all in on Williams or Trade for Ridley. 

I think this signals that JD is adding a WR fairly early in this draft and by that i mean no later than RD 2.  Watson and London are the two guys i think they want the most.  If London doesnt test at his pro day which is rumored, that takes him out of the running at 10, and to me, im not even 100% sure JD would take a WR at 10.  I think he would prefer to trade down and grab one a few spots later.  Thats why to me Watson makes the most sense, even possibly in a trade up if his value has risen to that of a late first rounder.  

Another really important note in all of this is JD's clear proclivity now to give the coaching staff what they want.  They wanted a veteran guard this offseason not a rookie.. He got tomlinson,  Middleton loved Uzomah, got him.. All the FA's have some ties to this staff and JD made it a point to get them.  Even in the draft there were guys that the staff was insanely high on late and got their wish.  Starts to make you think how much of that first draft was all guys JD wanted and how many Gase and Williams lobbied hard for and JD gave in.  I know for a fact that Williams was in love with Ashtyn Davis so its quite possible that he bent to their will too much.. Which also can be a negative.  

This isnt to say that JD only takes who the coaches want, but I do think they have a heavy say in decisions, as they should realistically.  JD has final say on all moves, but its clear that Saleh and his staffs opinions weigh heavily in the process. 

Lol, I almost stop recording and laughed when I described M. Williams using long, hard and need... lol. Scarlet receiver letters from the north

Joe's got nothing, if not resolve. He's tied his cart to Zach Wilson, so that's his biggest liability (simply in terms of risk), because otherwise it's hard to criticize his work... Hell, he might even survive Zach if he keeps on like this - should Zach not be the one.

All i know is if a man like that was willing to pay hot dollars for Mike Williams and Calvin Ridley, that agenda is not going anywhere. Plan A didn't work. So what's plan B?... Sign a "B-" caliber vet and draft a WR in the 2nd? Say Fck it in FA and take their top guy at 10?... I think the latter is a hard pill to swallow without a trade back, but clearly he has plans at WR. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

Lol, I almost stop recording and laughed when I described M. Williams using long, hard and need... lol. Scarlet receiver letters from the north

Joe's got nothing, if not resolve. He's tied his cart to Zach Wilson, so that's his biggest liability (simply in terms of risk), because otherwise it's hard to criticize his work... Hell, he might even survive Zach if he keeps on like this - should Zach not be the one.

All i know is if a man like that was willing to pay hot dollars for Mike Williams and Calvin Ridley, that agenda is not going anywhere. Plan A didn't work. So what's plan B?... Sign a "B-" caliber vet and draft a WR in the 2nd? Say Fck it in FA and take their top guy at 10?... I think the latter is a hard pill to swallow without a trade back, but clearly he has plans at WR. 

There is definitely a plan at WR.  Whether that is at 10, 1st round, 2nd, or multiple rounds i do not know. 

I will say this though.  I know that the staff and front office REALLY like this crop of WR. We here have been very critical of it not being a great WR draft, but the reality is its not that its bad, its that there is a lack of frontline talent.  There are a lot of solid options in the mid rounds of this draft at WR and on top of it a lot of guys that really fit what we do on offense.  While only a few may produce day one impact (if any), there are definitely going to be more than a few guys that become solid role players and contributors to teams. 

I could see us taking a guy like Shakir in the 4th and him being a guy who sticks on the roster for years. Same with Bo Melton. Skye Moore is another guy they really like.  

Again not saying any of these guys move the needle.  There are not Justin Jeffersons or Jamaar Chase's in this draft, but you can absolutlely get solid developmental talent and some good starters. 

JD walks away with London/Watson and Melton/Moore/Shakir and this WR core looks really solid and deep.