My concerns with the #4 and #10 draft pick

Alka

18 minutes ago, Esquire said:

I can't see Douglas passing on Neal or Ekwonu if either or both of them are available at #4.   I think Douglas will go best OL available at #4 and best defensive player available at #10.  Hamilton, Sauce, Stingley, Lloyd, Walker, Johnson II.   No matter what we do we will get two potentially great players.

Douglas is a former OL and supposed scout extraordinaire.

If the dude can’t find quality starting OL outside of the Top 15 of the draft or paying big bucks to them in FA…then what is the point of this guy?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Hell no lol

@maury77 actually had the perfect, spot on London comparison in the draft forum.

Michael Floyd

If that’s what you’re dreaming of with a Top 10 pick then…okay then.

Wilson is the only receiver who should even go in the Top 20 in this class, much less Top 10. I’d include Jameson Williams but the dude won’t even be able to step on the field until November probably.

Michael Floyd as a draft comparison?  Wasn't Floyd's problem alcohol?  He actually was actually fairly solid on his rookie deal. 

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Michael Floyd as a draft comparison?  Wasn't Floyd's problem alcohol?  He actually was actually fairly solid on his rookie deal. 

He had a couple of nice seasons in Arizona and then started to fade off before the alcohol issues even became a big thing, if I remember correctly.

And even though I really like the Floyd comparison, London still doesn’t have the straight line speed that Floyd possessed.

I said it about a week ago, I could see a scenario where 2-3 years from now London has packed on another 20 pounds and is playing TE.

The guy simply doesn’t separate. And if you aren’t creating separation at the collegiate level, you aren’t creating it in the pros.

I’ll fully admit that his ability in traffic is impressive. But put him outside the hash marks in the NFL, and damn near every pass thrown his way is going to be a 50/50 ball.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

He had a couple of nice seasons in Arizona and then started to fade off before the alcohol issues even became a big thing, if I remember correctly.

And even though I really like the Floyd comparison, London still doesn’t have the straight line speed that Floyd possessed.

I said it about a week ago, I could see a scenario where 2-3 years from now London has packed on another 20 pounds and is playing TE.

The guy simply doesn’t separate. And if you aren’t creating separation at the collegiate level, you aren’t creating it in the pros.

I’ll fully admit that his ability in traffic is impressive. But put him outside the hash marks in the NFL, and damn near every pass thrown his way is going to be a 50/50 ball.

Appreciate your take. Just pointing out that Floyd was suspended at ND for alcohol relates issues.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Alka said:

What sucks is that Berrios is a #3 or #4 wide receiver and Davis and Moore are #2 wide receivers.

If the Jets wait until the second round, then certainly we will be going into this next season again without a #1 wide receiver.  That is just unacceptable to me. Are either of the top 2 or 3 wide receivers in this draft projected as a #1 receiver.  If they are, they will not be there in round #2.  

I agree, take your top rated WR if it is Wilson at 4 and don’t look back. After that really with the next 3 picks they could all be on D at Edge, LB, and Safety. We really should not take Safety Hamilton over a blue chip prospect WR since we need a number one WR more than anything.

21 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Yeah, no.  He's nowhere near Mike Evans.  Not even remotely close

Based on what? He's not even working out until 4/5

JiF this is one of those "prepare your body" things 

Mark my words it's going to happen 

Mel Kiper just mocked london 4. Everyone knows jd is in love. Just like how he was in love with zakafono. It's like the worst kept secret 

The sauce stuff is possible but it feels more like a want not a need. Saleh runs zone corners he does not need a Revis island. He needs a JJ edge though 

23 hours ago, Alka said:

What sucks is that Berrios is a #3 or #4 wide receiver and Davis and Moore are #2 wide receivers.

If the Jets wait until the second round, then certainly we will be going into this next season again without a #1 wide receiver.  That is just unacceptable to me. Are either of the top 2 or 3 wide receivers in this draft projected as a #1 receiver.  If they are, they will not be there in round #2.  

i agree with this.  i think the jets need to pick a wr at 4 or 10.  of course this assumes the guy is a bona fide impact player who can start out of the box or at least be ready by game 4.

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Based on what? He's not even working out until 4/5

JiF this is one of those "prepare your body" things 

Mark my words it's going to happen 

Mel Kiper just mocked london 4. Everyone knows jd is in love. Just like how he was in love with zakafono. It's like the worst kept secret 

The sauce stuff is possible but it feels more like a want not a need. Saleh runs zone corners he does not need a Revis island. He needs a JJ edge though 

fwiw, we're having a great Drake conversation in the draft forum.  Kind of would be repeating a lot of what I just got done typing on him.  He's no where near as effective as Evans was on the outside, they're really just not comparable at all.  Evans is sooo/was so much smoother, a pro WR already in college.  London is half year ex basketball player who barely knows the position.  When he lines up outside, corners stick to him like glue.  Could be a stud slot guy though.  Anywho, just join us here, 2 pages of London talk.  And I'm not saying JD isnt eye'ing him, I just hope he's not but I'm prepared for the Jets to do stupid things, always

23 hours ago, bitonti said:

The time to extend George Fant was before free agency, to free up cap for spending. Ditto McGovern. The writing is on the wall with these two: they are not in the team's long term plans 

As for wr its going to be drake london, regardless of our preferences. He just fits this system too perfectly. So get used to the idea 

Long term is relative, though. I'm behind continuing with both this year, but neither is elite so it's ok to not get locked into one or both for 3+ more seasons. 

I'd like to have seen them extend Fant, too, before this year's inflation just raised his price by $3-6MM/year. But they have him locked in this year, and the franchise tag for next year is very manageable without getting locked in to a player who's really only exceeded average performance in 1 season (which was cut short by injuries, too). 

McGovern is also no slam dunk of a smart move to extend yet. He had a horrible 2020 and then a good (but certainly not great) 2021. Honestly I'd like to see them draft his potential replacement between rounds 3-5, with a player who can have the luxury of sitting out the start of or most/all of this season. If it's obvious by the fall that their attempt at grooming a mid-round pick is destined for failure, McGovern can always be extended then.

What bugs me more is when they wait until the season is over (or the player's season is over, after landing on IR), where the player's further major injury risk - and therefore incentive to take even one penny less than he could get in a March bidding war - has long passed.