Leger Douzable on Jets O-Line

35 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Like you said if you are left with the value with 2 LT blue chip prospects we have to either trade with someone who wants one or take one ourselves. Now it would be great if one of the LTs are picked before 4. That would mean we either take whatever Edge rusher falls to us, Sauce, or trade down. You know the Giants want one of the LTs so maybe we trade one slot with you them.

Who are the 2 LT blue chip players? I don’t see any. Cross seems like the best LT in the class and no one even mentions him around here 

2 hours ago, slats said:

100%. Take a tackle in the fourth round. I’m down. 

This is a good year to do it, there’s a ton of athletic tackles who need development in the mid to late rounds. I think given the FA moves, taking two edges or WR is a good way to go because each individual player has a major flaw and taking two increases the chances we end up with a contributing player. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Basically describing Brick’s career, and that guy has a statue in the mods’ ladies’ room. 

Fair enough    But I get the impression they want to run and dominate the LOS.  Fant isn't a dominating run blocker.  They might want an upgrade if they're presented with a good opportunity

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

What if icky is the 4 and linderbaum was the 36? Some of you guys would commit hari kari.

me? Oh id love it. 

The only measure where the Jets' 2021 line was top 10 was injuries 

Is it the best unit on the team? Maybe. But it's still way below average 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Redskins were able to make the playoffs with Cousins at least once.

I read the post that talked about playoff teams and where they drafted o-linemen.

Again I ask: what is your view of our o-line if Becton doesn't revert to rookie form or continues to miss extended time?

Oh yeah - we took 2 o--linemen in the same year in the same draft. Worked out

you think Brick and Mangod worked out for us? we went to the playoffs 3 times in the 10 years they played together.

i cant argue that if we didnt draft them we might have 1 or 2 SB wins.

we could have drafted TE Vernon Davis (6). he would have helped our offense more than Brick. and Mangod should never have been drafted cause John Abraham should have never been traded. that guy was a beast at Edge who had some really good years after leaving here.

and you could have got Tackles in the 2nd rd (Andrew Whitworth 4 PB) or in the 4th (Jahri Evans 6 PB) and a center the next year in rd 2 (Ryan Kalil 5 PB)

i would draft a OT in rd 3 to back up Becton. 

3 hours ago, slats said:

All I know is, if he comes back at his rookie level or better,

A big "if". Are we forgetting how bad he was getting beat by Lawson during OTAs?

He seems motivated enough to comeback healthy and strong.  Hopefully that will have a positive impact on his play...time will only tell.

2 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm not so sure removing a top pass blocking OT and adding a rookie who struggled to pass block in college, is a move I'd make this year

Only reason I'd have no issue is that even if there is a dropoff from one to the other, it's not going to have a huge impact on the 2022 season after which Fant is likely gone.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

The OL, even with an iffy Becton, is FAR more talented at this stage that the DL.  Yet people want to keep drafting OT at #4....

I think that depends on who's on the board.  Ekwonwu is one of my favorite players in this draft, but the only way I take him is if Sauce and Thibs are gone.  Have to get a pass rusher at some point in round 1.

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think that depends on who's on the board.  Ekwonwu is one of my favorite players in this draft, but the only way I take him is if Sauce and Thibs are gone.  Have to get a pass rusher at some point in round 1.

Respect that but I think in terms of upgrading the team JD simply can't afford another 1st round talent on OL.  He'll have to pay all these guys big money at the same time his QB is at the end of his rookie deal.  Bad resource allocation IMO.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

We got Tomlinson but we did lose our starting right tackle and Fant is only signed thru this year.   I dont think we need to take a tackle in the top 5 but I think one of the second rders should be considered for a tackle to back up the starters and groom to replace Fant.

Tyler Smith at 35 is an interesting pick, a little high to go for an OT this draft, but I think they had him in for a visit.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

you think Brick and Mangod worked out for us? we went to the playoffs 3 times in the 10 years they played together.

i cant argue that if we didnt draft them we might have 1 or 2 SB wins.

we could have drafted TE Vernon Davis (6). he would have helped our offense more than Brick. and Mangod should never have been drafted cause John Abraham should have never been traded. that guy was a beast at Edge who had some really good years after leaving here.

and you could have got Tackles in the 2nd rd (Andrew Whitworth 4 PB) or in the 4th (Jahri Evans 6 PB) and a center the next year in rd 2 (Ryan Kalil 5 PB)

i would draft a OT in rd 3 to back up Becton. 

This is flat out an INSANE post.  DBrick and mangold totally worked out for this team  Zero chance we ever sniff the afc title games.  And vernon davis?  child please. 

We had top notch C and LT play for 10 years.  That was by far the jets best draft in years and years.

As for Abraham, excellent player ad yes would have been nice to keep him, he also got hurt a lot.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, slats said:

Kid looked dominant, most of the time, as a rookie. Like you, I have no idea what his injury was this past year. All I know is, if he comes back at his rookie level or better, the Jets OT position is in good shape. Really good OTs still available in free agency, too. It’s just no place to spend a high pick this year. I can’t see JD giving up on his first first round pick that quickly, and I don’t believe that he will. 

until they refuse to meet Fant's demands after the season.  if JD takes Ickey at 4, then we know one, if not both of Becton and Fant, wont be back for 2023.  

11 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

I hear ya but this year's draft board seems to point to OT being the value at #4. Sometimes you also have to look beyond this year's needs.

If we can trade out of 4, great. But if we have to stay and 3 Edges go 1-3, what do you do? I don't think any WR is worth 4.

I wish Becton had been healthy and lived up to his draft status, Would make the decision easier.

Heck, the Redskins took 2 QBs in the same draft...and it actually worked out for them.

His health and what the staff thinks of him are the biggest unknown going into this. 

Staff is not a fan 

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

This is flat out an INSANE post.  DBrick and mangold totally worked out for this team  Zero chance we ever sniff the afc title games.  And vernon davis?  child please. 

We had top notch C and LT play for 10 years.  That was by far the jets best draft in years and years.

As for Abraham, excellent player ad yes would have been nice to keep him, he also got hurt a lot.

Thank you for posting that... I was trying to think of a tactful way of saying dude, you have no CLUE...

9 hours ago, the Claw said:

Tyler Smith at 35 is an interesting pick, a little high to go for an OT this draft, but I think they had him in for a visit.

Smith is a tone setter up front but man do I worry about his penalties.  Not just called, but see him hold a lot and not get called for it.

Just now, AFJF said:

Smith is a tone setter up front but man do I worry about his penalties.  Not just called, but see him hold a lot and not get called for it.

Good point. it’s a touch risky taking him that high, but he would essentially be a developmental backup. I would think that the coaches could work on this with him. Otherwise maybe Petit-Frerer (sp?) in the third or fourth? 

• Upvote 1

To beat the drum again, I totally get not taking an OL in the first round.  Edge is a huge need.

But this is a very thin OL the Jets have right now, especially at OT.  The Jets will need at least 3 guys who are starting quality OT, because Fant misses 2 games per year and Becton is a huge question mark who will almost certainly miss at least a few games. Edoga and McDermott are garbage 3rd stringers.

There should be good value at OT in the 2nd round.  I hope JD grabs one rather than wait for a mid round flyer like Mike Mac did three times.

• Sympathy 1

I think OL with the second 2nd rounder is fine - no earlier. Too many other needs. The OL played much better the second half of the season than the first half. They (and the rest of the offense) will benefit greatly from having the same system in place for the second year in a row. Patience.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

I think OL with the second 2nd rounder is fine - no earlier. Too many other needs. The OL played much better the second half of the season than the first half. They (and the rest of the offense) will benefit greatly from having the same system in place for the second year in a row. Patience.

Agree. And if they love Fant (which seems to be the consensus) they'll extend him.  2nd round might be early for OL.  My bet is they are using the first 4 picks in some order of Edge, DL, WR and LB since they need to find Mosely's replacement.

• Sympathy 1

14 hours ago, Bronx said:

A big "if". Are we forgetting how bad he was getting beat by Lawson during OTAs?

He seems motivated enough to comeback healthy and strong.  Hopefully that will have a positive impact on his play...time will only tell.

The OL were learning an entirely new scheme early on ... it took quite a bit of the season before it started to come together.

Getting beat in OTAs isn't the end of the world. Nor is doing well in OTAs indicative of much ... Zach had a great camp last year. ;-)  

• Upvote 1

Just now, jamesr said:

The OL were learning an entirely new scheme early on ... it took quite a bit of the season before it started to come together.

Getting beat in OTAs isn't the end of the world. Nor is doing well in OTAs indicative of much ... Zach had a great camp last year. ;-)  

Good point. 

• Upvote 1