Joe Benigno "Oh the Pain Podcast"

After June 1st came and went, his pay and cap number were locked in as unchanged for '23 and '24 whether they kept or cut him.
Only three things that would've changed it:
  1. getting someone else to pick up some amount of Zach's contract
  2. Zach getting suspended
  3. Zach retiring
There was no way for his '23 cap number to increase, and the only way for it to go up after this season would be extending him with a big pay raise, in the spring/summer of '24, and by further front-loading it. 

If they would have cut him after June 1st, their cap would have went down 5 million for the season.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

33 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

If they would have cut him after June 1st, their cap would have went down 5 million for the season.

If they cut him after this past June 1st, his 2023 season cap hit would've been unchanged, followed by his 2024 season also unchanged, since those numbers were guaranteed the day he was signed. The signing bonus portion of his cap hits were guaranteed to hit as soon as that first check was written. There was no way out of those hits to the cap no matter what: they were either already paid to the player or fully guaranteed in advance. 

Once it's past June 1st, the player's current cap number is locked in (absent a subsequent restructure, for which Wilson was ineligible anyway after just 2 seasons), and any acceleration occurs the following season. That's what makes it seem "cheaper" to cut someone after June 1st: the accelerated cap hit doesn't happen until next year. Thing is, in his case there was only 1 more season left after this year anyway, so there were no additional years to accelerate to '24. 

His cap hits were the same to keep him or cut him on June 2nd. The only thing that would've added to the cap was the extra QB salary to take on back then, but that still doesn't change Zach's individual cap hit(s). 

If they cut him after this past June 1st, his 2023 season cap hit would've been unchanged, followed by his 2024 season also unchanged, since those numbers were guaranteed the day he was signed. The signing bonus portion of his cap hits were guaranteed to hit as soon as that first check was written. There was no way out of those hits to the cap no matter what: they were either already paid to the player or fully guaranteed in advance. 
Once it's past June 1st, the player's current cap number is locked in (absent a subsequent restructure, for which Wilson was ineligible anyway after just 2 seasons), and any acceleration occurs the following season. That's what makes it seem "cheaper" to cut someone after June 1st: the accelerated cap hit doesn't happen until next year. Thing is, in his case there was only 1 more season left after this year anyway, so there were no additional years to accelerate to '24. 
His cap hits were the same to keep him or cut him on June 2nd. The only thing that would've added to the cap was the extra QB salary to take on back then, but that still doesn't change Zach's individual cap hit(s). 

His cap savings pre June 1st cut was -11 million. The post June 1st would have split that -5.5 and -5.5 next . The only way they don’t take a dead cap hit in the negative is to have him on the roster this season and releasing him next year.

4 hours ago, mfmartin said:

His cap savings pre June 1st cut was -11 million. The post June 1st would have split that -5.5 and -5.5 next . The only way they don’t take a dead cap hit in the negative is to have him on the roster this season and releasing him next year.

There is always a dead cap amount that, in effect, is a net negative no matter when they cut him. His entire contract was fully guaranteed the day it was signed, and his signing bonus was already paid. There was no avoiding it hitting the cap.

That said, it really doesn't matter when the hits come, in effect, because they just restructure someone else to hit later instead even if a first cut player's cap hit is more now. It only matters in perception, as beat writers and/or fans will lament how high someone's dead cap number is this year [instead of next year] while ignoring how the same amount lower a different player's number is this year [and higher next year] after a restructure. In the end it adds up to the same total, so long as they were going to keep & pay the restructured player anyway (e.g. someone like Mosley). 

Ultimately was no cheaper or more expensive time to cut him. The total is always the same. There was only cutting him, keeping him (for "free"), trading him with the hope someone else eats the rest of his contract, or crossing your fingers to hope he gets suspended or retires for non-injury reasons. 

40 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To me, this is such a loser mentality on Saleh's part to go with the excuse route.  

We all know how important a QB is to a team's success but I don't want a HC obsessing about that. I want him obsessed with trying to win despite not having his starter in there.

Do you remember all the sh*t talking Saleh was doing during training camp and pre season how great the jets were?

This putrid offense got little to no reps in preseason lmao which really paid off during the season.

no game planning to try and be creative, just rinse and repeat and finger pointing 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, BP said:

Do you remember all the sh*t talking Saleh was doing during training camp and pre season how great the jets were?

This putrid offense got little to no reps in preseason lmao which really paid off during the season.

no game planning to try and be creative, just rinse and repeat and finger pointing 

5 games left. Unbelievable. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

To me, this is such a loser mentality on Saleh's part to go with the excuse route.  

We all know how important a QB is to a team's success but I don't want a HC obsessing about that. I want him obsessed with trying to win despite not having his starter in there.

The more you see and hear of Saleh, the more loser vibes you pick up. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LMAO

If it’s true Saleh hates Zach, you can’t fire him now 🫠

Just cut Zach and trade for MFW to backup Rodgers next year, and draft a QB in ‘24

Haha, wish it was that simple. 

Saleh is a fraud at all levels. He can't manage the clock, his team is undisciplined, and the offense is terrible with all 3 QBs he has played this season. 

Zach definitely needs to go, but that won't solve the other big problem of Saleh. Even with a good QB the Jets might make the playoffs, but they will never do anything in there. Saleh needs to be replaced.

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

This was a private thought. He didn't expect blabbermouth Beningo to transcribe his texts on the show. Bad Beningo. BAD!

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

8 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It is a disgrace for Saleh to have done this!

This was a disgrace and actually stupid when you have to go back to the same player that you mocked!

You can’t make it up!

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This was a private thought. He didn't expect blabbermouth Beningo to transcribe his texts on the show. Bad Beningo. BAD!

Regardless, Saleh has to know better than to say things like this to him (he shouldn't be texting with Joe B at all!).  Joe B is a very passionate fan and he's in the media.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LMAO

If it’s true Saleh hates Zach, you can’t fire him now 🫠

Just cut Zach and trade for MFW to backup Rodgers next year, and draft a QB in ‘24

Trade for Mike White?

As in,

• round 1 use presumably to draft a QB who should be at worst the QB2 by 2025
  • round 2 is already gone from the Rodgers trade
  • round 7 is gone from the Chuck Clark trade
  • So they'd have a 3rd, 4th, 4th (swapped our 5th with Denver's 4th for Jacob Martin), and a 6th

...and you want to trade away 1 of those 4 remaining picks for just 1 contract season of Mike White, who may not want to re-sign here after the season anyway, and btw send that pick to the Dolphins who may demand more than a 6th for him since it's their own QB2 and the trade is with the Jets.

Should it further make a difference White surely doesn't want to be here in the first place?

• he's from down there
  • his parents & other family surely still lives there
  • his wife's family I think is from Tampa as well where she owns/runs a business
  • he even went to HS on the same campus as the Dolphins practice facility
  • he and his wife and their kids all get to live down there without being airplane rides from their extended families through all through the crappy winter months 
  • he pays no state income tax on his millions of base salary
  • Tua has plenty history of missing multiple starts himself
  • Miami is a 1st place team with two elite WRs, should Tua get injured

You trade for a backup QB type if you're in the middle of a season and suddenly become desperate. So unless he's going to be named the starter immediately upon trading for him, the Jets are in no position to trade a pick for a (backup) QB, whereby that player would be personally miserable as the QB2 here instead of down in South Florida with his family who won't want to make the move up with him. It'd comparatively be like a 1-year prison sentence for them all.

Never mind why would Miami even do this, unless they outright want him off the team? They'll be contenders again next year, he knows their system cold by now, and then it'd leave the same hole at QB2 you're trying to fill on the Jets. If they really liked what they saw of Skylar Thompson, they wouldn't have signed Mike White in the first place, who btw wasn't exactly an ironman while he was here in the first place & now he'd be in Hackett's offense instead.

I know I lay it on thick ;), and it was exciting for a bit while he was here, but there are several veteran QB2s who'll be available as FAs who'd be visible upgrades from Boyle & Siemian. Just sign one of them.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

What amazes me still, is how a person as smart as SE would waste the amount of brain cells that it takes to just THINK about and write about this ridiculous franchise. On this page alone he shows more analytical prowess than this stupid owner and his even dumber brother have ever shown us they possess. Me? I just can't do it any longer, and it'll never change, Woody Johnson will never sell this team and that's the only hope this team's long-suffering fanbase has. We deserve so much more than what we get year after year after year after year

. On this front page there is one thread title that asks and answers its own question:

HOW DO YOU BRING BACK THIS COACHING STAFF?

21 hours ago, BP said:

If Rodgers were playing poorly I'd agree but we literally saw the majority of these players in preseason with Zach and Boyle lol

25 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Either he was wrong and is admitting it, which in that case shame on him for sharing a text that was vague enough to be misinterpereted, or Saleh got pissed at him for sharing that and made him backtrack. Either way, he shouldn't be sharing those texts, no matter what Saleh was saying, and Saleh shouldn't have sent them.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Hex said:

Either he was wrong and is admitting it, which in that case shame on him for sharing a text that was vague enough to be misinterpereted, or Saleh got pissed at him for sharing that and made him backtrack. Either way, he shouldn't be sharing those texts, no matter what Saleh was saying, and Saleh shouldn't have sent them.

Regardless of whether or not Joe B misinterpreted them, Saleh should've seen this coming.  Or at the very least he should've seen the potential for something like this to happen.   This is 100% on Saleh. 

He loves to talk about the Navy Seals.  Well then let him take "extreme ownership" over this.  

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Regardless of whether or not Joe B misinterpreted them, Saleh should've seen this coming.  Or at the very least he should've seen the potential for something like this to happen.   This is 100% on Saleh. 

He loves to talk about the Navy Seals.  Well then let him take "extreme ownership" over this.  

Agreed. Doesn't change that Joe B shouldn't have released those messages either.

LOL

the only conclusion is Salad wants to get fired. He can get a year of comp time collecting Woody World money before he reinvents himself. His future as a DC is safe. 

He wants out. 

And no one in their right mind will replace him. This franchise is done. Find another team, folks.

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Ron Rico said:

LOL

the only conclusion is Salad wants to get fired. He can get a year of comp time collecting Woody World money before he reinvents himself. His future as a DC is safe. 

He wants out. 

And no one in their right mind will replace him. This franchise is done. Find another team, folks.

There are 32 teams in the NFL and 32 head coach positions. The Jets are in the biggest media market and amazingly still has one of the biggest fan bases in the NFL. The owner has made some bad decisions, but he is not cheap and actually supports the head coach well and is maybe even too loyal, firing some coaches a year or more after they clearly needed to go (which may happen with Saleh(. The Jets will have zero issues getting a head coach.

9 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Saleh is an idiot. He has to be more responsible than this. Jesus. He should be fired over this too. What a clown show.

He texts the media lmao his priority should be this abysmal team, not chatting it up with radio personalities to make himself look good.

Seriously, what are the jet’s priorities? I don’t even think they know

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, BP said:

Saleh is an idiot. He has to be more responsible than this. Jesus. He should be fired over this too. What a clown show.

He texts the media lmao his priority should be this abysmal team, not chatting it up with radio personalities to make himself look good.

Seriously, what are the jet’s priorities? I don’t even think they know

Woody is going to fire Saleh after the season is over.  Zach is his baby

Edited by Rich Thornburgh

• 2 weeks later...