JN Radio: Don’t get mad at Mekhi, Jets Dropped the Ball With Becton

Mekhi Becton

On this episode of JetNation RadioAM, we talk about the botched prognosis of Mekhi Becton, the improved supporting cast around Zach Wilson and some of our stories from JetNaton.com front page.

Are fans justified in getting mad at Mekhi Becton after the team told fans he would miss less than two months?  Now that it looks like Becton will miss almost a full calendar year, who is at fault?

The post JN Radio: Don’t get mad at Mekhi, Jets Dropped the Ball With Becton appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Things are so positive for this team that Becton is one of the only thing jet fans have left to hang onto for their negativity.  Very sad.

Ok, but in fairness, the health / availability / readiness of your starting LT is somewhat important when your goal is to win football games, no?

• Upvote 1

the Jets' doctors have historically been terrible... like actively bad (Kelechi Osemele won his grievance) 

even the replacement doctors and training staff seem below average 

If you were an agent of a superstar player and that player got hurt playing for the Jets (Ha), you'd send them to your own guys for the surgery. 

the Jets doctors are blatantly in the pocket of the team, no regard for player safety - they never met a FA or predraft physical they don't pass 

having good (non butcher) team doctors this is one of those 'non-salary-cap' positions like coaching or turf that doesn't suck that Woodrow just isn't interested in investing extra money in. He has to play the players a certain amount. He doesn't need to hire quality doctors.   

why should he, when wins and loses pay the same? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2

Listen, if he sucks we can slide fant in there and have someone else play right tackle. The end. If hes a bust, its time to move on. We can replace him next draft. The bigger issue is Zach. Can he get rid of the ball and be more accurate? Time will tell. Becton wont make or break this time, but Zach Can.

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the Jets' doctors have historically been terrible... like actively bad (Kelechi Osemele won his grievance) 

If you were an agent of a superstar player and that player got hurt playing for the Jets (Ha), you'd send them to your own guys for the surgery. 

the Jets doctors are blatantly in the pocket of the team, no regard for player safety - they never met a FA or predraft physical they don't pass 

having good (non butcher) team doctors this is one of those 'non-salary-cap' positions like coaching or turf that doesn't suck that Woodrow just isn't interested in investing extra money in. He has to play the players a certain amount. He doesn't need to hire quality doctors.   

Osemele is also out of football. And Becton went to his own doctors. This one doesn’t seem accurate. 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

We do not have enough experience with the new staff for that opinion. The team we put together is incredibly talented and succesful.  No question it sucked in the Osemele/Enunwa days.

Here's the deal with Becton. The JD/Saleh combo would have picked Wirfs. It is clear that JD when we had Gase selected the riskier higher upside picks at the top whereas with Saleh JD is selecting high floor guys. Whether that is a function of head coach or JD learning I cannot say.

Hopefully Becton can put it all together. His upside is incredible and remember he is still super young. Were any of us super mature at his age?

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Osemele is also out of football. And Becton went to his own doctors. This one doesn’t seem accurate. 

Yeah

the reason you go to to your own doctors to avoid the fools that said a knee cap dislocation was a 4-5 week injury 

to review the Jets doctors sent "blank MRIs" to KO's doctors in 2019. The Jets did not want KO to get a shoulder surgery, and they were shady about the whole thing. They acted in violation of the CBA and were fined for it.  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2859513-jets-admit-they-inadvertently-sent-blank-kelechi-osemele-mris-to-doctors

KO is out of football in 2022 but he did play 5 games with the KCC in 2020, after getting away from the NYJ  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We do not have enough experience with the new staff for that opinion. The team we put together is incredibly talented and succesful.  No question it sucked in the Osemele/Enunwa days.

Here's the deal with Becton. The JD/Saleh combo would have picked Wirfs. It is clear that JD when we had Gase selected the riskier higher upside picks at the top whereas with Saleh JD is selecting high floor guys. Whether that is a function of head coach or JD learning I cannot say.

Hopefully Becton can put it all together. His upside is incredible and remember he is still super young. Were any of us super mature at his age?

Becton's injury was through no fault of his own if anything it was JD's fault for employing a below replacement level player in GVR 

I believe he can get it together but the Jets seem sure of it, and have no real backup plan if it doesn't happen. Meanwhile the other tackle is holding out for a new deal 

good thing we got that CB1, huh?  

• Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Becton's injury was through no fault of his own if anything it was JD's fault for employing a below replacement level player in GVR 

I believe he can get it together but the Jets seem sure of it, and have no real backup plan if it doesn't happen. Meanwhile the other tackle is holding out for a new deal 

I have no issue with choosing Gardner. I would have had no issue taking OT at 4 either as we could go into next offseason with nothing at both RT and LT.  Jets absolutely must sign or trade for a veteran tackle before the season. Our OL is not a slam dunk strength as many believe it is.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Things are so positive for this team that Becton is one of the only thing jet fans have left to hang onto for their negativity.  Very sad.

Oh come on, give us a little more credit than that. We've only been through voluntary OTAs and we've already found more to be negative about. A week and a day into Training Camp and we'll be ready to blow it up and rebuild again. 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

10 years ago, I got hurt on the Job, random, non-prevebtable accident on a call. Nobody's fault, least of all, mine. 

Now, had I skipped rehab and gained 55 lbs because I sat on my ass and got fat, and did zero training of my uninjured extremities, THAT would have been MY Fault alone....

Bro, you've become a parody of yourself. You hate EVERYTHING about the organization at this point.  

Why are you still posting here? Habit?

Not being an a$$hole, legit curious. Because as I said, you hate EVERYTHING about the Jets organization from top to bottom. Isn't this counterproductive for you?

Who I've become is what rooting for this team my whole life has made me 

Long timers will remember that I was the original Homer. I used to write 3 thousand word articles for max about how great the Jets draft classes were 

Turns out that optimism (and pessimism) has no bearing on the outcome 

I was optimistic every time I showed up to the swamp and saw tb12 blow out this team. I was there for the day Vinny T got ate by the turf monster. I was there for herm waving to the spygate cams, and I was there when Mangini narced his out boss out. I was even there Xmas eve for Victor Cruz 99 yard td 

I'll say it again... It turns out that my hope had no bearing on the outcome 

As for my own mental health or whatever I took a whole year off from the board but the Jets kept sucking. In the end I missed the people some of whom I considered friends. 

But yeah I don't know why I still follow the team. It's like asking why someone has leprosy.  I don't know how I became so afflicted. But I'd rather be in the colony and suffer with friends than be in a cave somewhere suffering alone 

The suffering is going to happen, either way I just skip the part where we get hopeful. Around week 10, everyone sounds like me 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I have no issue with choosing Gardner. I would have had no issue taking OT at 4 either as we could go into next offseason with nothing at both RT and LT.  Jets absolutely must sign or trade for a veteran tackle before the season. Our OL is not a slam dunk strength as many believe it is.

The Jets offensive line is the 5th most expensive in football. And they are still looking for starting quality tackles? 

I also have no problem with sauce he's a very talented athlete, he just can't play left tackle 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Actually yes, some of us acted in a mature manner prior to being in our 20s. Some of us had to be mature at a young age to get by, and then ahead in life. Also, I'm not sure he needs to be super mature either; just somewhat mature (that of a functional adult is probably enough).

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Now, had I skipped rehab and gained 55 lbs because I sat on my ass and got fat, and did zero training of my uninjured extremities, then failed my  Return to Duty physical, THAT would have been MY Fault alone.... but unlike Becton, if I had done that, I would have just lost my job and had to figure out out to support my family another way...

But I didn't sign for tens of millions at 22 years old. I had to work my ass off to get the position I have and didn't want to lose it. 

Truth Facts GIF by BET Hip Hop Awards

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Who I've become is what rooting for this team my whole life has made me 

Long timers will remember that I was the original Homer. I used to write 3 thousand word articles for max about how great the Jets draft classes were 

Turns out that optimism (and pessimism) has no bearing on the outcome 

I was optimistic every time I showed up to the swamp and saw tb12 blow out this team. I was there for the day Vinny T got ate by the turf monster. I was there for herm waving to the spygate cams, and I was there when Mangini narced his out boss out. I was even there Xmas eve for Victor Cruz 99 yard td 

I'll say it again... It turns out that my hope had no bearing on the outcome 

As for my own mental health or whatever I took a whole year off from the board but the Jets kept sucking. In the end I missed the people some of whom I considered friends. 

But yeah I don't know why I still follow the team. It's like asking why someone has leprosy.  I don't know how I became so afflicted. But I'd rather be in the colony and suffer with friends than be in a cave somewhere suffering alone 

The suffering is going to happen, either way I just skip the part where we get hopeful. Around week 10, everyone sounds like me 

Despite some crap unrelated to Football, I've always liked talking to you...but I think I've been a fan even longer than you (I'm 51) and while I get disappointed with them as much as anyone, if I just hated them from stem to stern, I'd stop paying attention. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

10 years ago, I got hurt on the Job, random, non-preventable OTJ injury on a call. Nobody's fault, least of all, mine. (Before you ask, Ruptured L ATF Tendon, torn Achilles, 2 fractures including tibia and impact fracture of the Talus that required microfracture surgery, not quite as devastating as a dislocated ******* kneecap)

Now, had I skipped rehab and gained 55 lbs because I sat on my ass and got fat, and did zero training of my uninjured extremities, then failed my  Return to Duty physical, THAT would have been MY Fault alone.... but unlike Becton, if I had done that, I would have just lost my job and had to figure out out to support my family another way...

But I didn't sign for tens of millions at 22 years old. I had to work my ass off to get the position I have and didn't want to lose it. 

Bro, you've become a parody of yourself. You hate EVERYTHING about the organization at this point.  

Not being an a$$hole, legit curious. Because as I said, you hate EVERYTHING about the Jets organization from top to bottom. Isn't this counterproductive for you?

on fire GIF

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

Happy Bill Murray GIF

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Yeah

the reason you go to to your own doctors to avoid the fools that said a knee cap dislocation was a 4-5 week injury 

YJ  

How long is a knee cap dislocation?

Jets said 4-5 weeks.

Becton is going on month 10.

That's a big gap.  Someone's really wrong here,.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Jets said 4-5 weeks.

It seems like he can’t keep his weight down. I’m assuming he can’t practice until he meets a certain weight that the team feels comfortable with. Whether the light goes on is TBD. But the longer this goes the less likely he is to play for the Jets again, imo.

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Jets said 4-5 weeks.

A dislocated knee cap is a weird injury 

it takes weeks for the knee cap to migrate back to where it is supposed to be 

then, only after that's happened, can they xray the knee (again) for small fractures missed the first time around 

the word "dislocation" can also include ligament and tendon damage - we haven't heard anything from Becton so he's doing the right thing keeping his mouth shut as far as the Jets are concerned 

but it's entirely possible the injury was worse than expected, and they didn't know it until the 6 week mark  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

49 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

10 years ago, I got hurt on the Job, random, non-preventable OTJ injury on a call. Nobody's fault, least of all, mine. (Before you ask, Ruptured L ATF Tendon, torn Achilles, 2 fractures including tibia and impact fracture of the Talus that required microfracture surgery, not quite as devastating as a dislocated ******* kneecap)

If he was a 4th round pick or lower he would already be gone via an injury settlement  or just cut.

The thing I just can't wait to hear in camp is that he is struggling to play RT as he never thought he would be asked to play Rt and thus never trained for it.  That will come up in camp, book it

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Despite some crap unrelated to Football, I've always liked talking to you...but I think I've been a fan even longer than you (I'm 51) and while I get disappointed with them as much as anyone, if I just hated them from stem to stern, I'd stop paying attention. 

the funny part is around week 10, I become the "they aren't that bad" guy

the manic swings from wild optimism to wild pessimism "trigger me" to use a phrase that my Gen Z niece favors

i've settled into a "show me" mild pessimism. They suck until they prove, on the field, that they don't. You are what your record says you are etc. I don't hate the weather by reporting it's 80 degrees outside. It's just a fact. 

Nothing would make me happier than this team to prove me wrong 

• Upvote 1

Listen, if he sucks we can slide fant in there and have someone else play right tackle. The end. If hes a bust, its time to move on. We can replace him next draft. The bigger issue is Zach. Can he get rid of the ball and be more accurate? Time will tell. Becton wont make or break this time, but Zach Can.
Lol I knew it

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

GVR doesn't play tackle does he? And who said anyone is holding out for a new deal?

Awwww, I get it. This is bullsheeet right?

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.