2022 Salary Cap

nycdan

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I took at look at OTC and a few interesting tidbits came up.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Jets have the 2nd lowest available cap space (after years of being near the top).  This is based on a full 85 roster spots so it may climb in the next few hours.  Still, with just over $5M available, it's not like we're in crisis mode at all.  We brought in Brown which was a needed move and we aren't wasting a mountain of unused cap to start the season.

Now one interesting point - the Jets have the LOWEST dead cap in the league.  $2.86M.  The next lowest is $3.67M with most of the league in double digits up to ATL with $63.4M in dead cap (thank you Matt Ryan).  BUF has almost as much dead cap just from cutting OJ Howard than we have across our roster.

As a result, the Jets are actually using the most effective cap in the league at $202M.  The NYG are the only team with less cap than us, but due to their $33M in dead cap, they are only spending about $168M in effective cap.  

So before anyone jumps in with the incredibly awful take about how we are squandering cap space, consider that the Jets are currently the most efficient at NOT squandering cap space.  You can argue if the money is well spent, but that's a different thing.  

Looking forward to next year, we are currently looking at a small net available cap ($1.5M) without considering cap changes or roster moves.  That's middle of the league.  The Bears have a whopping $102M in available cap next year and are going to be the big players in FA.  On the other hand, The Bucs and Saints are over $50M in the hole.  None of that takes into account likely cuts so it's still early to debate 2023.

Another reason why JD may be slow to launch Mims.  He doesn't want to replace Davis with another expensive FA in 2023.  Also has to pay Q at some point...

• Upvote 1

The cap space won't climb.  That is off-season top 51 cap space.  Only the top 51 salaries count toward the cap in the offseason.  All 53 guys, plus Becton on IR and 16 practice squad players need to fit under the cap.

Not sure when the regular season cap goes into effect - I assume next Tuesday when rosters are set for the opener.  But we don't have a whole lot of flexibility with cap right now.  Not saying it is a crisis by any means, but we may need to do a little bit of restructuring to get 70 guys under the cap.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

The cap space won't climb.  That is off-season top 51 cap space.  Only the top 51 salaries count toward the cap in the offseason.  All 53 guys, plus Becton on IR and 16 practice squad players need to fit under the cap.

Not sure when the regular season cap goes into effect - I assume next Tuesday when rosters are set for the opener.  But we don't have a whole lot of flexibility with cap right now.  Not saying it is a crisis by any means, but we may need to do a little bit of restructuring to get 70 guys under the cap.

It does shine a bright light on Rankins who would shave $4.2M off the cap if released.  And yes, Becton hurts a bit but every team has cap tied up on the IR.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

So..  3 years of drafts and spending money.. why shouldn't this team be in the playoffs?

• Yes, this team should be better than it is.  
  • Guys who are mediocre who can be cut for cap savings, for either later this year or next year, should be.  That is Rankins and Shepherd, principally.  Feeney does not save money.  McGovern does.
  • When the Jets calculate their cap next year, Mosley, C. Davis and C. Lawson are using close to $50mm.  In a perfect world, they all would be replaced with less expensive players.  
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, varjet said:
  • Guys who are mediocre who can be cut for cap savings, for either later this year or next year, should be.  That is Rankins and Shepherd, principally.  Feeney does not save money.  McGovern does.
  • When the Jets calculate their cap next year, Mosley, C. Davis and C. Lawson are using close to $50mm.  In a perfect world, they all would be replaced with less expensive players.  

Nathan Shephard signed for $1M.   Cutting him would save about $40K

58 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It does shine a bright light on Rankins who would shave $4.2M off the cap if released.  And yes, Becton hurts a bit but every team has cap tied up on the IR.

I was looking at this yesterday, too. Our total cap space for dead + IR is still under $10MM which is plenty efficient. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think it is the other way around.  His guarantee is $50K.  Cutting him would save over $900K

I don't think that is how it works.  He makes $1M.  The next man up isn't free.  He will be replaced by somebody making $900K.  That is not $900k in savings.  It is $100k if you are generous, but if he had a $50K guarantee, that should count and i think the next man up would make more than $900k.  Tanzel Smart was set to make $1M and his cap number was within $50K of Shepherd.

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yes and no; wouldn't someone else just take his place in the 53 (at ~$700-900K, depending who it is)?

Yes and No back at ya. 

If your choice comes down to cutting Shepherd with $50K guaranteed and say, Vinny Curry with $800K guaranteed.  Shepherd would save $750K dead cap.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yes and No back at ya. 

If your choice comes down to cutting Shepherd with $50K guaranteed and say, Vinny Curry with $800K guaranteed.  Shepherd would save $750K dead cap.

;) very true. I tend to think these bubble guys are replaced with others without guaranteed $ in general (i.e. #54 moves up to #53). If it's purely down to him & Curry, the latter's guarantee muddies that logic, for sure; bubble player #54 doesn't typically have any guaranteed $ coming to him. 

I don't think they try to get that cute over a one-time <$1MM. They'll keep the guy they think will be the better player. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

I took at look at OTC and a few interesting tidbits came up.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

Jets have the 2nd lowest available cap space (after years of being near the top).  This is based on a full 85 roster spots so it may climb in the next few hours.  Still, with just over $5M available, it's not like we're in crisis mode at all.  We brought in Brown which was a needed move and we aren't wasting a mountain of unused cap to start the season.

Now one interesting point - the Jets have the LOWEST dead cap in the league.  $2.86M.  The next lowest is $3.67M with most of the league in double digits up to ATL with $63.4M in dead cap (thank you Matt Ryan).  BUF has almost as much dead cap just from cutting OJ Howard than we have across our roster.

As a result, the Jets are actually using the most effective cap in the league at $202M.  The NYG are the only team with less cap than us, but due to their $33M in dead cap, they are only spending about $168M in effective cap.  

So before anyone jumps in with the incredibly awful take about how we are squandering cap space, consider that the Jets are currently the most efficient at NOT squandering cap space.  You can argue if the money is well spent, but that's a different thing.  

Looking forward to next year, we are currently looking at a small net available cap ($1.5M) without considering cap changes or roster moves.  That's middle of the league.  The Bears have a whopping $102M in available cap next year and are going to be the big players in FA.  On the other hand, The Bucs and Saints are over $50M in the hole.  None of that takes into account likely cuts so it's still early to debate 2023.

Really like your posts, and stuff like this in general. says alot about the team and difference between how our past gms have worked and our current one does. We also have talented players worth paying to a degree on different levels - some draft picks / veterans etc...

its more than just have some money available for emergency its about building a roster efficiently. For all the talk about macc being a glorified accountant, he was terrible at it.

Just one more of the many things Joe has done for this team, fixing it from the ground up. Thanks for posting the link too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I dont know if we cut C Davis, Mosley but Lawsone I predict will get a contract and a big next year. This kid is about to be legit pass rush all season. Well maybe not a contract Im nor sure how long we ahve him, but I dont think we will use the escape clause in the contract, if anything I think he will be worth every penny and whatever best way to keep his services will be done. extension, keep his contract as is etc...

7 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I dont know if we cut C Davis, Mosley but Lawsone I predict will get a contract and a big next year. This kid is about to be legit pass rush all season. Well maybe not a contract Im nor sure how long we ahve him, but I dont think we will use the escape clause in the contract, if anything I think he will be worth every penny and whatever best way to keep his services will be done. extension, keep his contract as is etc...

We are not keeping all three.  

I think we let Mosley walk and let Lawson play out his contract.   Davis will depend on if he can be replaced by Mims or someone else. 

5 minutes ago, varjet said:

We are not keeping all three.  

I think we let Mosley walk and let Lawson play out his contract.   Davis will depend on if he can be replaced by Mims or someone else. 

Ima stop that mims replacing davis talk right now. I really do think he will be going elsewhere...*fingerscrossed

13 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Browns lead the league in cap space by protecting the serial sex offenders ungodly salary this hear and paying him nothing.

Can't make this sh*t up.

Yes, but starting next year, they are bottom-3 so they can't actually use that cap on anything more than 1-year deals or they'll be cutting players like mad next season.  The Browns have made themselves a target and everyone is going to enjoy watching them come up short.

• Upvote 3

There are plenty of ways to free up cap. Also remember that the Jets have been so under the cap recently they need to make sure they don't have problems with the minimum cap. Spending all the cap isn't a problem as long as you don't mortgage the future with a lot of dead cap money.

While anything is possible, I don't expect that the Jets are going to have cap problems moving forward. We are, however, taking a small hit for all of the 2020 (and before) draft picks that didn't pan out - not in dead cap, but because we had to hire more expensive FA to fill some voids. Hopefully, this years class and last years are a sign that moving forward we can continue to add cheap players to the team.

7 hours ago, bostonmajet said:

There are plenty of ways to free up cap. Also remember that the Jets have been so under the cap recently they need to make sure they don't have problems with the minimum cap. Spending all the cap isn't a problem as long as you don't mortgage the future with a lot of dead cap money.

While anything is possible, I don't expect that the Jets are going to have cap problems moving forward. We are, however, taking a small hit for all of the 2020 (and before) draft picks that didn't pan out - not in dead cap, but because we had to hire more expensive FA to fill some voids. Hopefully, this years class and last years are a sign that moving forward we can continue to add cheap players to the team.

Hopefully we can flip some high salary guys with no plans to resign for picks if younger/cheaper players actually pan out this year.