Tony Adams "TA" - UDFA - Makes 53 Man Roster

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

"It just happens in the NFL."

Why did we fire mccaganan and idzik?  Why?  It just happened, just forget about the bad drafts and look forward, tally ho!

Yeah, they happen.  They happen to the tune of over 60 percent of the players not making NFL teams.  

HONEST QUESTION: Will the tune finally change if the 2021 draft plays well again this year, like they did last year?  Will the tune change if anyone from the 2022 draft gets ROTY honors or (heaven forbid) makes the pro bowl?

I get it.  Everyone is shell shocked from 20 years of bad drafting.  Everyone thinks they would have hit on every pick.  There isn't a pick I would have changed.  Becton was needed more than Wirfs.  Hindsight, sure it would have been better since Fant can play LT.  Hindsight is a WONDERFUL thing.

I wouldn't change the Mims picked.  Loved him as a player.  Thought Davis was a steal in the third round, as did MANY other experts.  Didn't like the Perine or Zuniga picks, but LOVED Cameron Clark.  Guy had to retire because of a serious neck injury.  Hall was a GREAT pick, and we needed a punter and Mann lit up college.  

SO...there you have it.  It didn't work.  S**T happens.  If the 2021 draft starts to look like the 2020 draft, JD's collar will be warm. If the 2022 picks do the same, he will be out the door in 2024.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Flightattendant said:

We'd look past 1 bad draft yes. Not a decade of them.

John idzik had one bad draft and was fired.  Why?

A GMs work a totality of his work, give him credit for the good drafts and picks?  Yup by all means.  But if you do not take him to task for his bad moves you are just a cheerleader.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yeah, they happen.  They happen to the tune of over 60 percent of the players not making NFL teams.  

HONEST QUESTION: Will the tune finally change if the 2021 draft plays well again this year, like they did last year?  Will the tune change if anyone from the 2022 draft gets ROTY honors or (heaven forbid) makes the pro bowl?

I get it.  Everyone is shell shocked from 20 years of bad drafting.  Everyone thinks they would have hit on every pick.  There isn't a pick I would have changed.  Becton was needed more than Wirfs.  Hindsight, sure it would have been better since Fant can play LT.  Hindsight is a WONDERFUL thing.

I wouldn't change the Mims picked.  Loved him as a player.  Thought Davis was a steal in the third round, as did MANY other experts.  Didn't like the Perine or Zuniga picks, but LOVED Cameron Clark.  Guy had to retire because of a serious neck injury.  Hall was a GREAT pick, and we needed a punter and Mann lit up college.  

SO...there you have it.  It didn't work.  S**T happens.  If the 2021 draft starts to look like the 2020 draft, JD's collar will be warm. If the 2022 picks do the same, he will be out the door in 2024.  

You don't have to convince me that Joe Douglas has done a good job in totality. You are not going to convince me that the 2020 draft was anything other than an unmitigated disaster. 

Becton - Bust

Mims - Bust

Davis - Bust (small possibility that he develops into a contributor)

Zuniga - Bust

Perine - Bust

Morgan - Bust

Clarke - Bust

Bryce Hall - Excellent value pick. Competent starting CB. NFL caliber player

Braden Mann - On the team because he was drafted. He has been a bust otherwise. 

Draft grade - D-

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Is an injured draft pick a bust or unlucky.? To me a true bust is someone who stays healthy but never makes it - Gholston comes to mind.  I don’t think you can call an injured player a true bust?  Wasn’t Clarke doing well before a serious injury? 

i realize the end result is the same - they don’t contribute, but if we are judging the ability to draft talent injuries have to be put into a different category. Plus the 2020 draft did not have Douglas’s people doing the scouting 

PS Davis is not a bust

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Just in case you didn't see the first one. Joe Douglas had an awful 2020 draft and ignoring it doesn't make it go away. I'm still a fan of JD and I trust that he will keep drafting more like 2021 and 2022. 

image.png.0638e5b48239efa2cec88498b1363866.pngimage.png.6043281416e6006ee0e792e0181687c7.png

image.png.602a247613f93a4bff7f93e90a1445f5.png

That wasn’t his draft. He just got in the building and had data not from his own team.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ECURB said:

That wasn’t his draft. He just got in the building and had data not from his own team.

Not true. 

That said this whole bitching about Douglas over the 2020 draft is so old. 

-Becton, Clark got injured. You can’t blame JD for that.  

-one predraft report for Zuniga labeled him as a boom or bust player. 

-coaching change..new staff look for/want certain traits, talents for their systems. 

-Gase CS, unlike Saleh’s, was not involved in expressing the type of players they wanted for their system. 

-IIRC - 2020 - there wasn’t a combine, or any in person visits with players

-No GM hits on every draft pick.  If a GM hits on 50% of their picks they are doing well  

So can we please move on from the ‘20 draft. 

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, Lith said:

I imagine the conversation went something like this: Tony Adams: "If you're looking for a stary-eyed kid who's happy to be on an NFL field, hoping to pick up some good stuff every day, and maybe land on the practice squad, sorry, but you have the wrong player. I'm here for one reason and one reason only. I'm here to take someone's job".

How do you say no to that? Great find.

14 hours ago, Beerfish said:

John idzik had one bad draft and was fired.  Why?

A GMs work a totality of his work, give him credit for the good drafts and picks?  Yup by all means.  But if you do not take him to task for his bad moves you are just a cheerleader.

I generally think that a GM should get 3 years and a HC hire before being canned.  However, IIRC, Idzik had a "deer in the headlights" look about him in press conferences, and had an atrocious draft.  He was more of a bean counter thrust into a suit that he didn't look comfortable in at all.

Maybe he should have gotten more time and an HC hire.

JD at least seems comfortable and suited for his role despite a bad first draft.  But yeah, that was a bad first draft, and I was somewhat critical of it at the time it happened.

• Upvote 1

Tony Adams and Bam Knight really accomplished something very difficult.  You have to have had an outstanding camp for guys like that to make a 53 man roster.  We all saw it with bam but I do not think any of us knew this about Tony Adams.  I wouldnt be surprised if Adams starts some games this year and is a starter on this team starting next year.  The staff must absolutely love the kid.

7 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You don't have to convince me that Joe Douglas has done a good job in totality. You are not going to convince me that the 2020 draft was anything other than an unmitigated disaster. 

Becton - Bust

Mims - Bust

Davis - Bust (small possibility that he develops into a contributor)

Zuniga - Bust

Perine - Bust

Morgan - Bust

Clarke - Bust

Bryce Hall - Excellent value pick. Competent starting CB. NFL caliber player

Braden Mann - On the team because he was drafted. He has been a bust otherwise. 

Draft grade - D-

And again......I don't think ANYONE will tell you otherwise.  I just don't lose sleep over it because I agreed with 7 out of the 9 picks.  It is very Jetsy that they didn't pan out.  Let's hope the 2021 and 2022 drafts follow a different trajectory. 

I would disagree about Clark.  He was a project player who was showing signs of being ready and suffered a career-ending injury.  I would not call that a 'bust.'

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

And again......I don't think ANYONE will tell you otherwise.  I just don't lose sleep over it because I agreed with 7 out of the 9 picks.  It is very Jetsy that they didn't pan out.  Let's hope the 2021 and 2022 drafts follow a different trajectory. 

I would disagree about Clark.  He was a project player who was showing signs of being ready and suffered a career-ending injury.  I would not call that a 'bust.'

The Cameron Clark pick was a bust, regardless of circumstance. A guy not taking an NFL snap is 100% a bust. There is no arguing about this. 

• Thumb Down 1

Pinnock was a tough one to lose.  Probably most disappointed in losing him out of all the cuts.

In terms of pure experience you had Davis (3 years), Pinnock (1 year), and Adams (0).

In terms of upside/athleticism/ceiling the Jets seemed to think Adams (1st), Pinnock (2nd), Davis (3rd).

They wanted upside but didn't want to be caught without some experience so they kept Davis over Pinnock.  I would have rolled the dice and trusted that Pinnock's one-year of NFL experience could be built upon even if it did hurt us occasionally with his growing pains this year.

Davis seems to have had an injury history too.  If he gets hurt again and misses any significant amount of time (4+ games) it will be really disappointing.  That's the point at which the Jets would have loved to pull Pinnock off their PS and onto the 53.

Really hope this works out with Adams.  Love the potential.  But the Jets paid a decent price to try to build on his potential.

38 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The Cameron Clark pick was a bust, regardless of circumstance. A guy not taking an NFL snap is 100% a bust. There is no arguing about this. 

That's fine but is that the fault of the GM? Sometimes guys get injured and become a bust and there's nothing the GM could have done to have foreseen that happening. If it was a guy with a risky health/injury history it's one thing but when they have a clean history and something like this happens you really can't fault the GM, can you?

? happens.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

That's fine but is that the fault of the GM? Sometimes guys get injured and become a bust and there's nothing the GM could have done to have foreseen that happening. If it was a guy with a risky health/injury history it's one thing but when they have a clean history and something like this happens you really can't fault the GM, can you?

? happens.

This reminds me of when I had to fire a girl for being late 40 times. She had a legit excuse on the day a relative was sick. No matter how many times I said not to worry about that one day and focus on the other 39 times she was late, she harped on the one day when she had a legit excuse. 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, C Mart said:

Not true. 

That said this whole bitching about Douglas over the 2020 draft is so old. 

-Becton, Clark got injured. You can’t blame JD for that.  

-one predraft report for Zuniga labeled him as a boom or bust player. 

-coaching change..new staff look for/want certain traits, talents for their systems. 

-Gase CS, unlike Saleh’s, was not involved in expressing the type of players they wanted for their system. 

-IIRC - 2020 - there wasn’t a combine, or any in person visits with players

-No GM hits on every draft pick.  If a GM hits on 50% of their picks they are doing well  

So can we please move on from the ‘20 draft. 

While I don't think Becton nor Mims are busts YET, and I am a big supporter of JD - his first draft sucked. It completely Sucked.

I am willing to give him a mulligan as it was his first draft and a non-combine draft isn't a good first draft option. That being said, I am convinced he is doing a good job. He has done well enough to at least finish off his contract IMO, but let's be objective - that draft was not good.

BTW, Mann may be an average punter or worse, he is reasonably cheap - anyone saying that he is still on team because JD won't release him because he was a pick is clearly off; JD has released much higher drafted players. this kind of comment IMO shows a complete lack of objectivity. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This reminds me of when I had to fire a girl for being late 40 times. She had a legit excuse on the day a relative was sick. No matter how many times I said not to worry about that one day and focus on the other 39 times she was late, she harped on the one day when she had a legit excuse. 

I didn't read the context of the conversation and only picked up on your cam clark commentary. I thought you had hand picked him to point out a bust for some reason.

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I didn't read the context of the conversation and only picked up on your cam clark commentary. I thought you had hand picked him to point out a bust for some reason.

I've kept this conversation alive for longer than it needed to be, so I will close it out with the following. I have a high level of confidence in Joe Douglas, and I am pleased with the direction of the team heading into the 2022 season. With that said, I refuse to pretend that the 2020 draft was anything but an abject failure. It's unfortunate, but JD is responsible for the results of the draft, regardless of a freak injury. Cam Clark was drafted in close proximity to Perrine and Morgan which doesn't help the argument for JD's fourth round selections. 

If I was a JD detractor, I could see how my take on the 2020 draft would be annoyingly redundant. I'm a JD PROtractor. 

On 8/31/2022 at 4:34 PM, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

This is why people still talk about the 2020 draft. Too much SOJFsplaining about why he botched the draft. He botched the draft, and we can just leave it at that. 

Or....we are fine he didn't botch it at all and historically or relative to other teams or even other draft classes we can see some plus......oh nevermind...

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I've kept this conversation alive for longer than it needed to be, so I will close it out with the following. I have a high level of confidence in Joe Douglas, and I am pleased with the direction of the team heading into the 2022 season. With that said, I refuse to pretend that the 2020 draft was anything but an abject failure. It's unfortunate, but JD is responsible for the results of the draft, regardless of a freak injury. Cam Clark was drafted in close proximity to Perrine and Morgan which doesn't help the argument for JD's fourth round selections. 

If I was a JD detractor, I could see how my take on the 2020 draft would be annoyingly redundant. I'm a JD PROtractor. 

Checking with the judges....yes... Points for use of the work of the day...protractor ...well done.

• Upvote 1