Tony Adams "TA" - UDFA - Makes 53 Man Roster

The same guy drafted Ashtyn Davis in the 3rd round. 

For the slow people, this is a compliment. Let me explain why it's a compliment. He did an AWFUL job with drafting Ashtyn Davis in the third round of the 2020 draft but did a GREAT job with finding Tony Adams as an UDFA. 

It's okay to criticize Joe Douglas when he does something wrong. 

Edited by TheNuuFaaolaExperience
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's always impressive to me when an undrafted guy can make the final 53. They have to work harder and show more than a guy the team drafted or signed. I don't know anything about TA yet but Saleh seems to love him. Hope he turns into a player for us. I know some of you are hoping he wears #33 so you can re-use an old jersey @T0mShane

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Tony-Adams-DB-Illinois

ta1.png.45b7b76efe2e42ae59389255db8df81d.png

ta2.png.111e79f9218c9f49a066fd1a09cfa940.png

Saleh wined that his defense couldn’t work because he didn’t have rangy safeties last year and he goes out and stocks up his DB room with gimpy pubes like this guy. If the Jets finish better than 25th in defensive DVOA, I’ll buy a Tony Adams jersey and wear it for a week straight.

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, football guy said:

If I'm not mistaken we gave him a pretty hefty UDFA guarantee. Both he and Pinnock have similar profiles: versatile CB/S with great athletic profiles. My guess is the Jets decision was between him and Pinnock in regards to who they would be more upset with losing, with Adams being the more favored. Hoping Pinnock lands on the PS. I honestly haven't seen it with Davis, but my guess is they felt carrying Adams and Pinnock would've been redundant given their status as "developmental" types, whereas Davis has more game experience and is a superior special teamer right now. If they add a veteran, he's probably getting the boot. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It's always impressive to me when an undrafted guy can make the final 53. They have to work harder and show more than a guy the team drafted or signed. I don't know anything about TA yet but Saleh seems to love him. Hope he turns into a player for us. I know some of you are hoping he wears #33 so you can re-use an old jersey @T0mShane

Fringe player. If he makes it into a game, our secondary is screwed. 

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Fringe player. If he makes it into a game, our secondary is screwed. 

Last season we played six players at safety that had worse claims to being out there than this guy.  Elijah Riley, Will Parks, Kai Nacua, Jarrod Wilson, Adrian Colbert and Sheldrick Redwine.  Six guys that they signed off the street after camp broke.  They totaled around 850 snaps, which is around 70%.  That's not even considering the 200 snaps played by Pinnock, a rookie CB switching positions. 

He'll make it into a game, or he'll be cut and some other fringe player we replace him with will. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Most alarming part for me. 

“Needs to tighten his angles in pursuit”

Imagine him and Davis on the field at the same time.  It’s like they both failed geometry class

They both can be problems, but I don't read that as being like Davis.  I read that as taking a safe angle.  They said instinctive and it sounds like they want him to flatten out and try to get guys sooner.  Davis seems more random where he takes the wrong angle and then looks up thinking "whoops!"

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Last season we played six players at safety that had worse claims to being out there than this guy.  Elijah Riley, Will Parks, Kai Nacua, Jarrod Wilson, Adrian Colbert and Sheldrick Redwine.  Six guys that they signed off the street after camp broke.  They totaled around 850 snaps, which is around 70%.  That's not even considering the 200 snaps played by Pinnock, a rookie CB switching positions. 

He'll make it into a game, or he'll be cut and some other fringe player we replace him with will. 

And where was our D ranked last season?

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They both can be problems, but I don't read that as being like Davis.  I read that as taking a safe angle.  They said instinctive and it sounds like they want him to flatten out and try to get guys sooner.  Davis seems more random where he takes the wrong angle and then looks up thinking "whoops!"

I kind of read it the same way.  I just wanted to get a geometry joke in there.  

Morphing into my dad now 55% complete

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Saleh has made a judgment that he would rather have Adams and Davis (maybe that was JD) over Pinnock.  He is assuming that Pinnock does not get picked up.

We guaranteed Joyner's salary, so he was not going anywhere.  

I think everyone saw Pinnock has having more potential than Davis.  Hopefully Pinnock does not get picked up. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Scouting report on instinctive and failure to gear back up to top speed reads like the opposite of Davis. 

On the other hand Strengths:  Loose hips.  Weaknesses:  Tense hips.

Speaking of loose hips, no cartoon has had a waggle like Elsa since Jessica Rabbit… 

3 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

image.png.fb3de35cfbc9c6b7e296982cdcc5b68d.png

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Thanks for posting this, was curious about this guy

2 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Just in case you didn't see the first one. Joe Douglas had an awful 2020 draft and ignoring it doesn't make it go away. I'm still a fan of JD and I trust that he will keep drafting more like 2021 and 2022. 

image.png.0638e5b48239efa2cec88498b1363866.pngimage.png.6043281416e6006ee0e792e0181687c7.png

image.png.602a247613f93a4bff7f93e90a1445f5.png

NOBODY is ignoring how bad the draft turned out.  IT HAPPENS IN THE NFL.  All kinds of reasons why the deck was stacked against him.  Doesn't matter: You are paid to produce.  Early reports looked good.  Late reports are bad.

If we are talking about 2021's draft in the same way this year, we worry.  If we start talking about 2022's draft after the 2023 season, JD will probably be gone.  

But there is NOBODY on here ignoring how bad the draft has turned out.  It doesn't mean the picks, at the time, were all bad.  Hindsight is something an actual GM doesn't have; only the armchair ones have that luxury.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Saleh wined that his defense couldn’t work because he didn’t have rangy safeties last year and he goes out and stocks up his DB room with gimpy pubes like this guy. If the Jets finish better than 25th in defensive DVOA, I’ll buy a Tony Adams jersey and wear it for a week straight.

Gimpy pubes lol ? I haven’t heard gimpy since last reading a Charles Dickens novel. 
@T0mShane road scholar strikes again!

• Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

For the love of God.  NOBODY is ignoring how bad the draft turned out.  IT HAPPENS IN THE NFL.  All kinds of reasons why the deck was stacked against him.  Doesn't matter: You are paid to produce.  Early reports looked good.  Late reports are bad.

If we are talking about 2021's draft in the same way this year, we worry.  If we start talking about 2022's draft after the 2023 season, JD will probably be gone.  

But there is NOBODY on here ignoring how bad the draft has turned out.  It doesn't mean the picks, at the time, were all bad.  Hindsight is something an actual GM doesn't have; only the armchair ones have that luxury.  

"It just happens in the NFL."

Why did we fire mccaganan and idzik?  Why?  It just happened, just forget about the bad drafts and look forward, tally ho!

• Upvote 1