Figure It Out - Mike Westhoff

GandWFan

43 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

I just finished listening to the audible version of Mike Westhoff's new book, Figure It Out.  It was narrated by Mike, so you heard the story from Mike's own mouth.

GREAT book!

You could tell that he really cared about "his guys".  I always liked him as a coach and a person whenever I heard him speak, but this book took it to another level.

Some highlights:

He is obviously passionate about the game and his players, but the only time he got choked up in the reading of the book was when he was talking about a prison guard that played for him in the replacement season in Miami.  Tells you a lot about the man.

When Vernon Golston played for the Jets, he obviously did not live up to draft position expectations.  One day during a heavy downpour, Mike stopped at a diner on the way home rather than drive in the storm.  The manager of the diner recognized Mike, and told him that he was sitting in Vernon Goldston's seat at the counter.  Seems every night, Vernon would eat dinner alone, sitting at that seat in the diner.  Seems that when you are a highly paid first round pick and can't get on the field, you get ostracized. When Mike heard this, he developed a role on special teams for Vernon to be successful, and he was; giving Vernon some semblance of success and acceptance within the Teams room.

Mike loved Vinny Testeverde, but recognized that after the Achilles injury he could not move well.  Paul Hackett made him take every snap from under center.  Vinny could still really sling it.  Mike felt if Vinny had played from the shotgun, we would have went to the Superbowl.  

He was no fan of Pennington.  Always thought he was smart but limited.  And after his injury he said Chad couldn't throw across the street!  Lol.  True.

He said Mangini was a good coach and good selecting personnel, but was Terrible with people.  Come across as an arrogant know it all.  Ha, BB jr.

He said Rex was a showman for the media but ran a disciplined team and was a good coach.  

There are so many other tidbits in this book.  Too many to list.  

I HIGHLY recommend a listen.

10/10

Read it on vacation last week.  Loved it.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, GandWFan said:

He said Mangini was a good coach and good selecting personnel, but was Terrible with people. 

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

@T0mShane in shambles.

So Mangini was good at coaching and good at talent evaluation.  Sounds like a sick burn to me, lol.

Name me any other Jets HC in this century that was good in BOTH of those areas.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So Mangini was good at coaching and good at talent evaluation.  Sounds like a sick burn to me, lol.

Name me any other Jets HC in this century that was good in BOTH of those areas.

Yeah, problem was players, coaches, and probably front office people thought he was an ass.  What other coach gets fired after a 9-7 season? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GandWFan said:

Yeah, problem was players, coaches, and probably front office people thought he was an ass.  What other coach gets fired after a 9-7 season? 

No disagreement there.  And he did the same thing in Cleveland, too.

At least he exposed Belichick while he was here.  And brought us Revis, Brick, Mangold and David Harris.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

He actually had the social skills of a venereal disease.

True.  And meanwhile your hero Rex Ryan was a snake who got 3 GM's fired while working for 2 different franchises, despite himself sucking royally at talent evaluation.  Oh, and he also scapegoated and fired Greg Roman in Buffalo despite Roman leading a Tyrod Taylor-led offense to rank in the top 10.  

All the Jets HC's have had major warts.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True.  And meanwhile your hero Rex Ryan was a snake who got 3 GM's fired while working for 2 different franchises, despite himself sucking royally at talent evaluation.  Oh, and he also scapegoated and fired Greg Roman in Buffalo despite Roman leading a Tyrod Taylor-led offense to rank in the top 10.  

All the Jets HC's have had major warts.  

Those two AFC title games though. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Built on the back of the roster Mangini handed him, which Rex swiftly dismantled.  

Further proof that the primary basis for many fans opinions of ex-Jets is how long they were around being a failure, to have the hatred grow.

Mangini himself had little-to-no measurable success throughout his entire coaching career, so there's a game of make-believe to credit him for the work of anyone else, including before and after his time, to excuse the pointless adoration of a guy who failed miserably at the job he was paid to do.  Let's ignore the peak 2010 roster having been significant overhauled by then, with a minimal number of players having come in during the short window Mangini was here, not being the GM but instead causing problems with the players.

It's certainly interesting how some start to believe works of fiction around here for no reason than their own repetition of it.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Further proof that the primary basis for many fans opinions of ex-Jets is how long they were around being a failure, to have the hatred grow.

Mangini himself had little-to-no measurable success throughout his entire coaching career, so there's a game of make-believe to credit him for the work of anyone else, including before and after his time, to excuse the pointless adoration of a guy who failed miserably at the job he was paid to do.  Let's ignore the peak 2010 roster having been significant overhauled by then, with a minimal number of players having come in during the short window Mangini was here, not being the GM but instead causing problems with the players.

It's certainly interesting how some start to believe works of fiction around here for no reason than their own repetition of it.

Yet when you compare the drafting during the Mangini coaching era and the Rex era, it’s a stark difference despite the GM being the same.

Mangini and Rex both sucked so it’s whatever, but the revisionist history I see more often is to worship Rex over those 2 years while completely forgetting what happened in the subsequent 6 across 2 franchises.  Mangini’s era is what it is:  Ultimately a failure but one that set the roster up nicely for his successor.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yet when you compare the drafting during the Mangini coaching era and the Rex era, it’s a stark difference despite the GM being the same.

Mangini and Rex both sucked so it’s whatever, but the revisionist history I see more often is to worship Rex over those 2 years while completely forgetting what happened in the subsequent 6 across 2 franchises.  Mangini’s era is what it is:  Ultimately a failure but one that set the roster up nicely for his successor.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

We are used to abysmal failure. We are Jets fans. At least Rex mixed in some fun seasons. Until someone gives us something else to enjoy, I’m going to remember Rex for those two years. His trash years honestly just melt into the background of all the other trash. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No disagreement there.  And he did the same thing in Cleveland, too.

At least he exposed Belichick while he was here.  And brought us Revis, Brick, Mangold and David Harris.

Mangini got knifed by Mike Holmgren in Cleveland. Holmgren befriended the owner, undermined Mangini, and drove him out so he could take over the reigns. No doubt Mangini rubbed people the wrong way there, but Cleveland was a disaster franchise when he got there and their next five coaches only lasted two seasons or less at the helm.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

We are used to abysmal failure. We are Jets fans. At least Rex mixed in some fun seasons. Until someone gives us something else to enjoy, I’m going to remember Rex for those two years. His trash years honestly just melt into the background of all the other trash. 

I credit Mangini AND Rex for those 2 years, is really my point.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Except you essentially proved the point, considering that's an inaccurate claim that's no more than repetition of your own past confirmation biases.  The 2006 offseason is the only outlier for that entire period, for a laundry list of reasons beyond any one person, while 2007 and 2008 were both far more similar in their approach to the years that followed than either were to 2006.

Meanwhile, nothing I said actually referenced Rex, but not so coincidentally he is all you and @T0mShane ever think about when Mangini's name is mentioned.  Hatred for Rex is simply the reason for your need to rewrite history years later to fit a new narrative, as Mangini was only retroactively decided to be responsible for entirely new things for the first time ever once Tanny and Rex had far more time to outstay their welcomes.

Don't get me wrong, screw both Tanny and Rex, but no matter how long the list may be of things to hate them for, it doesn't change the reality that all evidence throughout the entirety of Mangini's career have shown him to be a constant failure at what his job actually was in the real world, not the fantasy land that's dependent on things like league-wide conspiracy theories just so you can add extra items onto the list to hate others for.  Don't worry, their lists of incompetence are all already long when even simply based on reality.