2022/23 NY Rangers thread (Rebuild's Over)

TBJ

Filip Chytil signs 4 year extension

The New York Rangers signed forward Filip Chytil to a four-year contract extension, the team announced Wednesday. Here’s what you need to know:

The deal carries an average annual value of $4.4375 million, according to a league source.

Chytil, who was set to become a restricted free agent this summer, is now signed through the 2026-27 season.

The 23-year-old has 22 goals and 20 assists through 66 games this season.

The Athletic’s instant analysis:

What this means for the Rangers

Chytil’s a pivotal player in New York. He’s the driver of ‘The Kid Line’ as the team’s mainstay 3C, and could move up to the second line in a few years, too. Right now, he’s leading the team in shot creation and ranks third in goals and scoring rate, both of which set career highs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Chytil was one of three key restricted free agents for the Rangers’ management to extend this summer, the others being K’Andre Miller and Alexis Lafrenière. Miller and Chytil, specifically, were due significant raises thanks to their development over the last year. So getting the cost certainty now for the center helps map out the team’s cap picture sooner rather than later. — Goldman

What to make of the deal

But above all else, it’s a good bit of business to sign a player to such a cost-effective contract. It’s below his market value and should continue to bring back positive returns throughout the life of it. The downside is that this may not be the maximum contract that Chytil signs — but if the idea is to stick around in New York after this deal, age shouldn’t be too much of a concern. The bright side is that this deal doesn’t club up the salary cap in any way, considering the number of long-term deals already on the books. — Goldman

Backstory

Chytil is in the midst of his best NHL season, recording career highs in goals, assists and points while centering the Rangers’ ‘Kid Line’ that includes 21-year-old Lafrenière and 22-year-old Kaapo Kakko. Chytil’s 22 goals this season ranks fifth among NHL centers 23 years or younger.

The Rangers drafted Chytil at No. 21 in the 2017 NHL Draft. He has 135 points across 319 games during his six-year career.

New York clinched a spot in the 2022-23 postseason earlier this week and currently sits in third place in the Metropolitan Division at 44-20-10.

Required reading

Could Rangers keep Tarasenko and Kane? What will RFA contracts look like?: Mailbag

(Photo: Jessica Alcheh / USA Today)

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

49 minutes ago, TBJ said:

Just looking ahead, the Rangers are going to be in trouble if someone puts in an offer sheet to Alexis Lafrenière this off season.

I'm sure some team will.  Hopefully, we re-sign him before then.  I'm assuming Drury knows what he's doing here.

Devils +3 with 3 remaining games.
Rangers: @ STL, @ CBJ, Buffalo
Devils:  CBJ, @ Bruins, Buffalo
NJ leads season series 3-1. Rangers need all 6 points. Devils only can get 2 pts
I doubt NJ beat the Bruins but the other two shouldn't be an issue for them. Rangers blew it when they lost to them last week.
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Not the best performance to close out the season.... resting players or not.

Her come the playoffs! Here come the devils.

Last game is Thursday against the Leafs.

Buffalo is a good team. If they played that goalie all year they would be in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Playoffs this year are going to be brutally hard AGAIN.

Devils series could and probably will go 7

I expect Carolina to beat Florida or the Islanders so that will probably going to be another 7 games series.

I just don't see how anyone is beating Boston this year. They have been unbelievable this season and I hate Marchand with a passion that little twit. 

Guess we will find out soon enough. Can't wait for the playoffs to start. Going to be electric

2 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Playoffs this year are going to be brutally hard AGAIN.

Devils series could and probably will go 7

I expect Carolina to beat Florida or the Islanders so that will probably going to be another 7 games series.

I just don't see how anyone is beating Boston this year. They have been unbelievable this season and I hate Marchand with a passion that little twit. 

Guess we will find out soon enough. Can't wait for the playoffs to start. Going to be electric

Rangers could end up playing Carolina in the first round still.  

4 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

Locked in vs NJ. Should be a war. 

Teams are really well matched but we have to avoid a track meet which is their best feature.  I know the Rangers feel that they are fast too and can go punch for punch with anyone but we just have to avoid that kind of series against these guys.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, EM31 said:

Teams are really well matched but we have to avoid a track meet which is their best feature.  I know the Rangers feel that they are fast too and can go punch for punch with anyone but we just have to avoid that kind of series against these guys.

NJ is way faster than us for sure. Their speed could be a big problem so if we could make these games a rock fight that plays to our advantage. 

10 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

NJ is way faster than us for sure. Their speed could be a big problem so if we could make these games a rock fight that plays to our advantage. 

Finish all the checks every time and that goes double for Hughes.  This is where we need Trouba to be Trouba.  Playoff hockey is different than regular season hockey and the Devils have never been there before,  We got beat last year by the experience of Tampa Bay as much as anything else and we need to leverage our own experience now.

Best to stomp on them early because they will be twice as tough if they get an early lead in the series.  We could easily lose this one.  I would have preferred the Hurricanes.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Jersey vs the Rangers will be one hell of a series, should be good.

Also the Islanders actually made the playoffs so @Lith will have something to watch.....at least for a round   ?

Carolina is a better, deeper team, but we have the better goalie.  They have handled us pretty well over the past few seasons, but in the NHL playoffs, anything can happen.  As you should well know, since I believe you are an Edmonton fan.  Didn't they make the finals as an 8 seed several years back.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Carolina is a better, deeper team, but we have the better goalie.  They have handled us pretty well over the past few seasons, but in the NHL playoffs, anything can happen.  As you should well know, since I believe you are an Edmonton fan.  Didn't they make the finals as an 8 seed several years back.

Islanders are team built for the playoffs.  Regular seasons may get ugly (and it did this year) but that team can squeeze the life out of opponents even when those opponents might be more talented.  I like their chances against the Hurricanes who are missing important pieces.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, EM31 said:

Finish all the checks every time and that goes double for Hughes.  This is where we need Trouba to be Trouba.  Playoff hockey is different than regular season hockey and the Devils have never been there before,  We got beat last year by the experience of Tampa Bay as much as anything else and we need to leverage our own experience now.

Best to stomp on them early because they will be twice as tough if they get an early lead in the series.  We could easily lose this one.  I would have preferred the Hurricanes.

Agree. Along with toughness and grit. I'm kind of hanging my hat on that... and the third and fourth lines, and Igor. Canes and Devils jumped out early in the season and while the Rangers played like they were hungover from the ECF and fell behind. 

LGR

• Upvote 1