Zach Wilson has ‘all the confidence in the world’ after Jets benching

33 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

His desire and work ethic need to meet his confidence 

His desire , work ethic and off filed confidence are not an issue . Where he needs to mature is in his on field confidence , he needs to trust his systems, his eyes and not try to overprocess everything going on.  The kid has the tools , the question is can he put it all together and let it happen naturally on the field.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I keep seeing this thrown out here repeatedly. I think this take is absolutely 1000% wrong.

The Jets were basically rebooting their team, new HC, new OC, new QB coach , new blocking schemes and systems and with a plethora of young players manning roster spots.  Starting a journey man vet QB in that spot made no sense whatsoever. This gave Zach a chance to get valuable experience and learn lockstep with the rest of the team.  It was gonna be a bumpy ride but true to their reputation the majority of media and overzealous fans grew way too impatient , way too soon. Zach is still an open book , but many have thrown this book away and are shopping for the next NY  Times bestseller - fortunately JD, Saleh and the Jets organization are sticking to their plan. 

I would say based on the results you have this backwards.  The valuable experience seems to have backfired.  It might have been better to put a better team around him, learn how to be a pro QB behind a good veteran and throw him in when he was ready.  

No right answer on this but I believe all the hype on how hard Zach worked, the offseason coaching and his ability to understand the chalk board and film may have lead the coaches to think he could do way more than he could actually do.  

• Upvote 1

I keep seeing this thrown out here repeatedly. I think this take is absolutely 1000% wrong.
The Jets were basically rebooting their team, new HC, new OC, new QB coach , new blocking schemes and systems and with a plethora of young players manning roster spots.  Starting a journey man vet QB in that spot made no sense whatsoever. This gave Zach a chance to get valuable experience and learn lockstep with the rest of the team.  It was gonna be a bumpy ride but true to their reputation the majority of media and overzealous fans grew way too impatient , way too soon. Zach is still an open book , but many have thrown this book away and are shopping for the next NY  Times bestseller - fortunately JD, Saleh and the Jets organization are sticking to their plan. 

I believe this is correct. And the fact that we got good,pretty quick this year. Took a lot by surprise, after Zach handed the 2 games to the pats. And his response after that game was icing in the cake to give MW a shot. It had to be done. This year is this year. And next year is next year.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

37 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

you have to understand your market and your fan base, as well as how "ready" your QB is. ZW was incredibly raw coming from BYU, half the fan base hated him before he threw a pass, then basically 75% of remaining fans hated him as soon as he was not clearly the guy right away and was going to take time to devleop. You can't treat NY like you can other areas. I wish you could, becuase it ultimately hurts us, but you cant

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Bravado =/= Confidence

IMO Zach is more about the "look" of confidence, i.e. bravado, rather than actual, I-truly-believe-I-will-kick-ass-and-chew-bubblegum ACTUAL confidence.

“The most manufactured quarterback I have ever seen.”

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

you have to understand your market and your fan base, as well as how "ready" your QB is. ZW was incredibly raw coming from BYU, half the fan base hated him before he threw a pass, then basically 75% of remaining fans hated him as soon as he was not clearly the guy right away and was going to take time to devleop. You can't treat NY like you can other areas. I wish you could, becuase it ultimately hurts us, but you cant

I think it's fine for a fan to think that way - there's no way I want my GM , coaching staff or organization caving in to what the fans or media want. That's the scenario of the inmates running the asylum and should never happen at the organization level. 

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

I think it's fine for a fan to think that way - there's no way I want my GM , coaching staff or organization caving in to what the fans or media want. That's the scenario of the inmates running the asylum and should never happen at the organization level. 

while I kind of agree, its a part of the job is to understand that. Young QBs are not robots, they have emotions and react to things. Its hard enough for a young QB to learn everything they have to learn, get the respect of their teammates, etc. When the fan base turns on you, and is as vocal as ours is, and the media jumps in, its an extremely tough position for that QB. A GM cannot ignore that factor

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, jgb said:

“The most manufactured quarterback I have ever seen.”

and the most UNFIT quarterback to be automatically named as a starter that I have ever seen. Even Jamarcus Russell showed more flashes of potential that he could become something that at least more resembles that which an NFL QB is supposed to look like. 

As someone who doesn't watch college football I had no idea of what Wilson looked like at BYU, but was certainly very hopeful that he'd be great. I even saw a couple of pretty nice plays that got me off the couch and pumping my fist and screaming YEA!!!!

I WANTED Zach to succeed, and then when he got hurt and White was poised to be playing on National TV against the Colts and White starts out on fire and then he gets injured here, what else stands out to us Jets fans about this picture? Oh yea, just another instance of a Jets QB getting hit in the face and NEVER getting the calls, happened to Zach a few times vs the Patriots too. I forgot what the point I was going to make while researching the injury here to White. (old age guys, I'm telling' ya)image.thumb.jpeg.b664ce31eff0b713eca236e945ef598d.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

To be honest, this whole message board was all for him starting right away judging him solely  on a preseason where he didn't  face a single #1 defense for even a qrt.. I was reading things like he looks like he belongs, clearly the best of all the QBs. Don't  start him on day 1? I think a lot of people would have been asking why Zach isn't  starting when all we had was White and Johnson. 

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Start him and he's not great day one - "he wasn't ready"

Don't start him - "why did we draft him if he can't even play?". Then every time the incumbent starter isn't playing great ... "get the kid in there, see what he can do". Kid gets in, isn't great ... "why did they play him, he isn't ready"

This is the way. :-) 

29 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Yes, now THAT makes sense and it's the way it should be spelt 

Your spelling is phonetic. It’s exactly how I was taught to say it. We don’t pronounce the i. Same thing with Ricotta, don’t pronounce the a, same thing with Capicola, don’t pronounce the a. 

10 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Don't start him - "why did we draft him if he can't even play?". Then every time the incumbent starter isn't playing great ... "get the kid in there, see what he can do". Kid gets in, isn't great ... "why did they play him, he isn't ready"

For fans, that really is how it is, especially  for the ones that buy into him being the best QB in that draft. Even though there is evidence to the contrary,  people think Zach should still be the starter. What people just willfully  ignore is you need to look at production from the QB position. In 3 games, White has one less TD pass and nearly 1000 yards passing to Zachs nearly 1300 in 7. It is pretty obvious that there is a better option to work on. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

For fans, that really is how it is, especially  for the ones that buy into him being the best QB in that draft. Even though there is evidence to the contrary,  people think Zach should still be the starter. What people just willfully  ignore is you need to look at production from the QB position. In 3 games, White has one less TD pass and nearly 1000 yards passing to Zachs nearly 1300 in 7. It is pretty obvious that there is a better option to work on. 

White has been just ok so far and he’s easily a much better player than Zach

30 minutes ago, jamesr said:

The #2 overall pick should be able to play day 1.

If he can't, he likely shouldn't have been the #2 overall pick.

Developmental guys, guys who needs a few years to get to NFL level play, should be picked in the mid-rounds.

If Zach was a 3rd round pick, which is probably where he should have been in a sane world, no one would be mad right now.

The problem is many GM's, just like many fans, get deeply obsessed with RAS scores and combine scores and the like, and forget playing football isn't like running a 40 on a track or doing a high jump or even throwing a ball real far and hard in shorts with no defenders on a warm sunny day on your own college campus with no crowd, lol.

And so guys with RAS scores and bazooka arms in practice get picked while football players don't.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2
  • En Fuego 1

9 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

White has been just ok so far and he’s easily a much better player than Zach

It's just crazy that anyone thinks the team is going to be better with Zach. I don't care how deliberate he is in practice. There was so much wrong at the time he was benched, there is no way he has made the progress needed to start again in 3 weeks. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

It's just crazy that anyone thinks the team is going to be better with Zach. I don't care how deliberate he is in practice. There was so much wrong at the time he was benched, there is no way he has made the progress needed to start again in 3 weeks. 

Yeah but Chris Simms said 3 years ago Zach was going to be the best qb in the nfl and he’s never wrong, ever.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I mean I don't think the team will be better...but I don't think it's "Crazy" to not see it our way.

Considering "the team" was better with Zach.

• En Fuego 1

9 minutes ago, VJphillyfan said:

Yeah but Chris Simms said 3 years ago Zach was going to be the best qb in the nfl and he’s never wrong, ever.

The only thing Chris Simms ever had going for him is his ability  to parlay being the brother of a SB QB into a short NFL career and now an analyst on the internet. 

• Haha 1