Which Potential Free Agent QB Would YOU Want...

SoFlaJets

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

admit I do not know much about Minshaw is he 6'5" and built like a match stick?

No, 6’1”! Another good not great guy just like Mike White right now. My point is dont see the difference keeping White and seeing if he can get better or getting Minshew. Seems like a relatively lateral move. Slight nod to Minshew maybe. 

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Lamar Jackson is great in the system the Ravens built around him. I doubt LaFleur would be willing to do the same and for that reason I think he's a bad fit.

Meh, the Ravens havent built around him at all.  That offense sucks.  His RB's are mediocre and often injured, his OL is meh, they have the worst WR's in the league.  It's completely disjointed other then the Lamar to Andrews show.  Credit Roman for figuring out how to make it work consistently when everyone knows it's coming for sure but they've done the opposite of building around Lamar IMO.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JiFields said:

Meh, the Ravens havent built around him at all.  That offense sucks.  His RB's are mediocre and often injured, his OL is meh, they have the worst WR's in the league.  It's completely disjointed other then the Lamar to Andrews show.  Credit Roman for figuring out how to make it work consistently when everyone knows it's coming for sure but they've done the opposite of building around Lamar IMO.

They built an entire offensive scheme around him ya goof.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

• Knowing that the Jets have no 2 pick Zach Wilson and that he is going to go to 12 hour a day QB school starting in January, If I am JD I am trying my best to sign MW to a guaranteed 2 year deal for as little as possible.  I think that is at least 2 x $15m.  They could also consider franchising him, which would be the threat, so the 2 year money needs to be better than the 1 year money.  
  • But that number needs to be less than the Jets would pay in the open-market for one of the other QBs, so they can invest in other players.  I think most of the QBs available will go over $20mm, if not $25mm.
  • But if White is not re-signed, then you just try and get the best value out of Brady, Jimmy G, Minshew, etc.  
  • I think practically the Jets will be a team where 2 QBs play a good portion of the time.  Spending money on a QB will be a waste if they don’t fix the OL.  

7 minutes ago, JiFields said:

Think he meant when he first came in the league. They did an an amazing job of adapting that offense  to his generational  talent. LaFleur is mimicking what he saw in San Fran and has shown close to zero ability to adapt it and a modest ability to run it as it is for the most part. 

If we got Lamar we would need Bobby and JoJo to bring in an offensive coordinator with experience and creativity that LaFleur simply doesn’t have. But doing that and adding Lamar to the team we have now? Team would be a serious contender. I’d be watching all the games with a chub! 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

They built an entire offensive scheme around him ya goof.

When I think about a system, I think about the entire package.  What they're trying to do and the players they have to do it.  From the player perspective, the Ravens have failed to find and build personnel to execute their system.  Therefore, the offense sucks except for the fact they have Lamar Jackson, you goof.  I dont see why he couldnt come here and run the heavy RPO portion of the playbook and expand the run game play book. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I’m going for the score and the two point conversion. 

image.jpeg

This trade is a Denver-like Wilson acquisition franchise crusher.  The Wilson whiff cost the Jets one first round pick and $30 Million with the possibility of 10+ years of a franchise QB if it worked.  This costs 2 firsts, 2 thirds and $80+ million. Nope. Never. Fools gold. He's old and he's an a$$hole.  Do you want the Jets to be the Broncos and ruin a young team with a washed up albatross at QB?  

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Think he meant when he first came in the league. They did an an amazing job of adapting that offense  to his generational  talent. LaFleur is mimicking what he saw in San Fran and has shown close to zero ability to adapt it and a modest ability to run it as it is for the most part. 

If we got Lamar we would need Bobby and JoJo to bring in an offensive coordinator with experience and creativity that LaFleur simply doesn’t have. But doing that and adding Lamar to the team we have now? Team would be a serious contender. I’d be watching all the games with a chub! 

Exzachary

1 hour ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Lol in what world is a run down aaron rodgers worth 2 first round picks? are they mad?

In a world where your team could be contending for the title.

On the surface, the Jets would be on par with Chiefs and Bills. 

The implications of taking on his salary is another thing altogether.

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Danny Jones

With the improvement he’s shown this year, with less than NFL caliber offensive talent and a porous offensive line I believe he can flourish with the talent the Jets have accumulated and will add an extra dimension to the offense with his running ability

I just don’t think he’s as bad as everyone makes him out to be but hey I also thought Josh Rosen/Sam Darnold  were going to be good QBs as well so my QB evaluation is less than stellar 

I agree with this.  Of that list considering cost and such he would be my choice.  I like the backup for Baltimore tyler huntley and i thought he was a Fa but he is a rfa.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

This trade is a Denver-like Wilson acquisition franchise crusher.  The Wilson whiff cost the Jets one first round pick and $30 Million with the possibility of 10+ years of a franchise QB if it worked.  This costs 2 firsts, 2 thirds and $80+ million. Nope. Never. Fools gold. He's old and he's an a$$hole.  Do you want the Jets to be the Broncos and ruin a young team with a washed up albatross at QB?  

Probably not, let’s  just waste it with never wires  and never will be’s. Russell Wilson was a function of the system in Seattle, just like Geno is now. Rodgers is an asshole, but basically a one man band in Green Bay. Rodgers oh this team at any cost is a game changer. Wilson is a Lazy comp. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Lamar Jackson is laughable probably going to demand a high salary even though he's nothing more than a one dimensional player who always gets exposed vs playoff Caliber teams.

You know who else 'gets exposed vs playoff Caliber teams'- most playoff QBs. 

Didn't he, like, win an MVP? One-dimensional players don't win MVPs. He threw for 36 TDs with only 6 INTs that year btw. It wasn't like he just rushed for over a thousand yards- which he ALSO did. Jeez. F**king Jets fans are insufferable. They'd rather have Mike White because he is cheaper than Lamar effing Jackson.

If the Jets were lucky enough to sign Jackson for a s**t ton of cash, they would back up the truck for him. We have the weapons and defense to immediately make a SB run with him and he is only 25. Alas, the Ravens will make it top priority to sign him. So yes, its a pipedream.  

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Just now, PepPep said:

You know who else 'gets exposed vs playoff Caliber teams'- most playoff QBs. 

Didn't he, like, win an MVP? One-dimensional players don't win MVPs. He threw for 36 TDs with only 6 INTs that year btw. It wasn't like he just rushed for over a thousand yards- which he ALSO did. Jeez. F**king Jets fans are insufferable. They'd rather have Mike White because he is cheaper than Lamar effing Jackson.

If the Jets were lucky enough to sign Jackson for a s**t ton of cash, they would back up the truck for him. We have the weapons and defense to immediately make a SB run with him and he is only 25. Alas, the Ravens will make it top priority to sign him. So yes, its a pipedream.  

simon cowell facepalm GIF

I'll make this easy, Lamar Jackson will never win a SB

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Lamar couldn’t run our offense?  Why not?  He couldn’t win with SF or GB or whoever else is running a variant of the Shanahan offense with some minor tweaking?  

The only QB depth chart I'd be happy with next year:  1) Mike White; 2) Gardner Minshew; 3) Zach Wilson/midround pick at QB.

We know Wilson isn't going anywhere unless a trade partner emerges so he can stick around as the project QB barring JD pulling off another trade heist.  If he does, then give me White, Minshew, and a midround pick at QB.

Those pining for Carr or Rodgers, you do realize that White's numbers on a per game basis have been superior to both of those guys this year, right?  And unlike Carr and Rodgers, White won't cost $40M a year.

Jimmy G would be OK but I strongly prefer Minshew.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, JiFields said:

Lamar Jackson is a dream but otherwise, I'd punt and bring back White to fight Wilson for who starts the season.  I like his potential and upside over signing these dudes who's careers have been written.

I think this is probably right. 

I was on the Carr bandwagon, but White has shown me enough to justify him at a reasonable salary.

If you can bring Mike White back for $10mm or less...then it's the better move than giving $30mm to one of these other guys.

Jackson is a pipe dream for many reasons...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

The only real difference is that Russel Wilson actually looked ok when he was healthy the year before. Rodgers so far this year has been pretty bad.

Rodgers would be a disaster 

• Upvote 2

The Jets don’t have much cap space, they will make a bunch of cuts in the off-season, but I can’t see them breaking the bank for any of those guys. I think they kick the tires on White, talk numbers/years. Personally, I wouldn’t resign him unless the $ is team friendly. May be a team such as Seattle, Lions, Giants… who may blow him away with an offer. Maybe a guy like Beathard, Rush. I believe those guys are under contract, throw them a mid round pick and bring ‘em in. If not or in addition, draft a guy mid rounds and maybe you catch lightning in a bottle. Lastly, I think a lot depends on the last 4 games, how Zach plays and if they win. Either way, I still think the Jets bring an arm or two to push Zach in training camp.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

13 hours ago, JiFields said:

Lamar Jackson is a dream but otherwise, I'd punt and bring back White to fight Wilson for who starts the season.  I like his potential and upside over signing these dudes who's careers have been written.

Why is Jackson a dream? No one seems to be noticing that for 2 years in a row his effectiveness dwindled and dwindled as the season went on up until the point he was injured and missed significant time. Baltimore should just tag him and feel overjoyed if anyone is dumb enough to give up 2 firsts for a rapidly aging QB that plays an unsustainable brand of football. The above list of FAs blows. None are more than decent (and in decent I mean much much better than Flacco) veteran backups.

34 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why is Jackson a dream? No one seems to be noticing that for 2 years in a row his effectiveness dwindled and dwindled as the season went on up until the point he was injured and missed significant time. Baltimore should just tag him and feel overjoyed if anyone is dumb enough to give up 2 firsts for a rapidly aging QB that plays an unsustainable brand of football. The above list of FAs blows. None are more than decent (and in decent I mean much much better than Flacco) veteran backups.

You ask why Jackson is a dream, and in the same post add a hypothetical compensation of two 1sts for Jackson.

Thats why it’s a dream, dude.  Baltimore will tag him and won’t want to trade him unless it’s an exorbitant package.  One we don’t have.  No Adams’ picks are left and we’re gonna be picking in the latter part of the 1st round.  

Maybe Jackson gets moved but it wouldn’t be to us. 

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You ask why Jackson is a dream, and in the same post add a hypothetical compensation of two 1sts for Jackson.

Thats why it’s a dream, dude.  Baltimore will tag him and won’t want to trade him unless it’s an exorbitant package.  One we don’t have.  No Adams’ picks are left and we’re gonna be picking in the latter part of the 1st round.  

Maybe Jackson gets moved but it wouldn’t be to us. 

You completely missed my point. I wouldn't sign Jackson for free (no trade picks) and I think Baltimore would be idiotic to sign him. Tag him let him play on the tag or if someone is dumb enough just take the 2 first rounders

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only QB depth chart I'd be happy with next year:  1) Mike White; 2) Gardner Minshew; 3) Zach Wilson/midround pick at QB.

We know Wilson isn't going anywhere unless a trade partner emerges so he can stick around as the project QB barring JD pulling off another trade heist.  If he does, then give me White, Minshew, and a midround pick at QB.

Those pining for Carr or Rodgers, you do realize that White's numbers on a per game basis have been superior to both of those guys this year, right?  And unlike Carr and Rodgers, White won't cost $40M a year.

Jimmy G would be OK but I strongly prefer Minshew.

Pop Tv Love GIF by Schitt's Creek

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I like your takes Johnny, there isnt a single person I disagree w/ more on this site and I appreciate our relationship.  Youre saying it's not a dream but you're saying the Ravens should tag him?  Seems, idk, dreamy to think he's going to hit the free market. 

Either way, I'd give up 2 firsts in a split second for Lamar.  The Ravens have failed him miserably, he hasnt declined at all, the team around him is god awful.  His OL sucks, his RB's are terrible and he has by far the worst WR core in the NFL.  He'd be stepping into the most loaded team he's ever played on offensively, that would very exciting.  And you're take on playing unsustianable Football is wrong and misguided, just fyi.  They've done the work on this, more QB's get injured in the pocket than outside and fun fact; Lamar Jackson's injuries, have only occurred in the pocket.  He's never been injured outside of the pocket.  

https://www.fantasypoints.com/nfl/articles/season/2021/mobile-quarterbacks-and-injury-rates#/

Below are the injury rates provided by our friends over at Sports Injury Insider. More specifically, my buddy John Verros, has provided some killer insights on the topic. Injury rates on all dropbacks that were non-scrambles, non-designed runs, and not spikes from 2016 to 2020 was 0.28%. That’s the baseline. Keep in mind the first chart includes every kind of dropback, including the times that nothing happens like an incompletion, throw aways, etc. At first, it might seem like staying in the pocket is safest. To a degree, that’s an accurate assessment. However, further analyzing the numbers is where the magic happens.

JVigT5HyFpNsenF_ierM2HESBOY8ko847DdaPikN

Sub-categorizing dropbacks ending in sacks and knockdowns, the observation is that the injury rates are actually highest at 1.4% and 1.56% respectively. It’s assumed here that knockdowns happen in the pocket. In contrast, “other runs” (otherwise known as designed runs) and scrambles both have lower injury rates per dropback. To summarize, passing that doesn’t end in a scramble or a spike has a 0.28% injury rate, designed runs 0.64%, scrambles 0.87%, sacks 1.4%, and knockdowns are 1.56%. Which is why injury rates for in pocket vs. out of the pocket as a descriptor can be deceiving. Not all QBs who scramble are considered mobile and a scramble can still end in a sack.

_rpVFXqxFw8jAZozro49E7csogIl_CtrmsVsegoy

If you’re wondering what this looks like from a functional perspective, here’s the breakdown of QBs from 2016-2019 who were on the injury report and missed a game at least once during that time due to injury. This was only during the regular season. Players had to have started for 10 games in at least two NFL seasons. Missing games due to personal reasons, illnesses, etc were excluded. Does this create selection bias? Probably so. Does it limit the sample? Yes. The pay off is that only fantasy relevant QBs are included and the study has face validity. In other words, it measures what we say it’s measuring, which is missed time due to injury.

First, games missed per player instance was calculated. It’s possible for one player to count for an instance of missed games in 2016 and again in 2018. Next, instances of catastrophic/season ending injuries were calculated. Each season in which a QB was considered the starter but missed more than 6 games was accounted for. For example, Aaron Rodgers became the official starter in 2008. Each season after 2008 in which he missed more than 6 games was investigated. This process got tricky as players who were sent to IR had to be manually searched for since they would no longer be listed on the injury report. Then, players were grouped into the “mobile” group defined as at least 200 rushing yards per season. Less than or equal to 200 rushing yards per season was considered the “non-mobile” group. Here are the results:

• 19 non-mobile QBs accounted for 16 season ending injuries

• 19 mobile QBs accounted for 9 season ending injuries

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, johnnysd said:

You completely missed my point. I wouldn't sign Jackson for free (no trade picks) and I think Baltimore would be idiotic to sign him. Tag him let him play on the tag or if someone is dumb enough just take the 2 first rounders

I'm dumb enough!!!!  You're telling me I can have a 25 year old former MVP, mutant, game changing unreal QB for 2 firsts?  Deal. Done.  Where do I sign?

Question for you; is Zach Wilson's style of play sustainable?  He's missed how many games due to injury?...in addition to sucking?

• Haha 2