Let's Talk Next Jets QB For 2022-23

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Have you noticed how much QBs cost lately?

Yeah ... but I'm still waiting for a QB to show up to pay them.?

In all honesty I say let Mike test the open market with the intention of out bidding the matket on him ... I really don't see anyone else paying him in FA with 6 to 8 games on his resume three of which he left due to injury.

When you read through the list of potential QBs for 2023 and this thread, it becomes obvious why JD took a swing with Wilson.  While competence is better than terrible, all it gets you is, at best, a playoff appearance.  JD and the Jets aimed higher.  To compete in a conference with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, and Burrow, you need more than a competent QB.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Yeah ... but I'm still waiting for a QB to show up to pay them.?

In all honesty I say let Mike test the open market with the intention of out bidding the matket on him ... I really don't see anyone else paying him in FA with 6 to 8 games on his resume three of which he left due to injury.

Jameis Winston costs $14M per.  Marcus Mariota makes nearly $10M per.  And those are the QB16 and QB17 salaries, respectively.

41 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jameis Winston costs $14M per.  Marcus Mariota makes nearly $10M per.  And those are the QB16 and QB17 salaries, respectively.

So league average QB money is 10 to 15 mill and you are open to paying Mike "The Porcelain Prince" White 15 Mil per for 3 years with something around 22-25M GTD with an 8 game resume.

Nervous Oh No GIF by FIFA

What I'm trying to convey is none of these QBs that we are discussing have shown they deserve league average QB money. They should be incentivized at best to get there.

I like White just don't think he's  the guy at the end of the day... I'm happy to go into next year with him as the starter but we are kidding ourselves with the Cinderella story bs. Our future is on a spit roasting before our eyes while the fanbase grasps at false cures like a dying man should.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

So league average QB money is 10 to 15 mill and you are open to paying Mike "The Porcelain Prince" White 15 Mil per for 3 years with something around 22-25M GTD with an 8 game resume.

Nervous Oh No GIF by FIFA

What I'm trying to convey is none of these QBs that we are discussing have shown they deserve league average QB money. They should be incentivized at best to get there.

I like White just don't think he's  the guy at the end of the day... I'm happy to go into next year with him as the starter but we are kidding ourselves with the Cinderella story bs. Our future is on a spit roasting before our eyes while the fanbase grasps at false cures like a dying man should.

With an easy out after year 1, yes.  

QBs cost what they cost man.  I dunno why those #’s are surprising or “too high” for you.  Especially when you seem to be comfortable with sending picks for $40M+ per year QBs like Rodgers/Carr or bringing in someone like Jimmy G, who is injury prone too yet will cost around $30M per.  

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With an easy out after year 1, yes.  

QBs cost what they cost man.  I dunno why those #’s are surprising or “too high” for you.  Especially when you seem to be comfortable with sending picks for $40M+ per year QBs like Rodgers/Carr or bringing in someone like Jimmy G, who is injury prone too yet will cost around $30M per.  

Do you have receipts for this strawman argument.... because I never said any of that... Carr is soft as baby poop ...Rodgers is old and checked out, Jimmy G has like never played a full season and smells like Aqua Velva... so nooo ... not me... no sir.

The dumbest **** I've said is pursue D.Jones or Love and I'll sit with that pile o crap next to me and shrug because at the end of the day we're bringing in trash at the QB position even with them.... sorry if im not excited to pay above market for said trash.

We're screwed and I'm just pissing in my own corn flakes because I'm gonna be forced to eat them anyway so i might as well make it memorable.

You want White fine I'll get on that train let me just finish setting fire to Minshew Train half the board was on yesterday until they saw him play against the Cowboys and began second guessing their flawed memory of the mighty mustache

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

Do you have receipts for this strawman argument.... because I never said any of that... Carr is soft as baby poop ...Rodgers is old and checked out, Jimmy G has like never played a full season and smells like Aqua Velva... so nooo ... not me... no sir.

The dumbest **** I've said is pursue D.Jones or Love and I'll sit with that pile o crap next to me and shrug because at the end of the day we're bringing in trash at the QB position even with them.... sorry if im not excited to pay above market for said trash.

We're screwed and I'm just pissing in my own corn flakes because I'm gonna be forced to eat them anyway so i might as well make it memorable.

You want White fine I'll get on that train let me just finish setting fire to Minshew Train half the board was on yesterday until they saw him play against the Cowboys and began second guessing their flawed memory of the mighty mustache

Ah right, you were on the Jones train.  I’m guessing he’d be in the $25-30M per range.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Adoni Beast said:

Case being made for Mayfield.

Mike White, Baker Mayfield, draft pick.

Don't go by 1 game. Mayfield has been a train wreck for two seasons. The Broncos have packed it in.  Every QB can look good for one game.  Did you watch Mayfield this season (and last)?  He is just awful. Fool's gold.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Don't go by 1 game. Mayfield has been a train wreck for two seasons. The Broncos have packed it in.  Every QB can look good for one game.  Did you watch Mayfield this season (and last)?  He is just awful. Fool's gold.

We get that. We know. We don't want him but he's still better than Zach Wilson.

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Oh definitely not going by one game but I like the kids resolve.

He hasn’t been a train wreck. His first couple of seasons he was good (not great) and his last year in Cleveland he was injured.

Not saying he’s the FQB answer but on the cheap without having to give up draft picks while we look to draft someone long term, might be a decent option.

• Sympathy 1

Finding a QB in round 3 or 4 is a very very long shot. Here are the QBs drafted in rounds 3-4 the past 10 years:

• Willis
  • Corral
  • Mond
  • Mills
  • Book
  • Eason
  • Morgan
  • Grier
  • Finley
  • Rudolph
  • Lauletta
  • Webb
  • Beathard
  • Dobbs
  • Brissett
  • Kessler
  • Cook
  • Prescott*
  • Jones
  • Grayson
  • Mannion
  • Petty
  • Thomas
  • Savage
  • Glennon
  • Barkely

One starting QB in 10 years of drafting.  That is not the answer.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, Yeetin It said:

Aaron rogers is not the answer. He’s not the same guy he used to be

He's looked like the same guy the last couple of weeks. It's funny when you lose a top WR and don't have a replacement that you don't quite look the same. Now that the WRs are actually learning and playing better he looks exactly the same the last few weeks.

24 minutes ago, maury77 said:

If Douglas and Saleh want to keep their jobs through the 2024 season, they need to make the playoffs next year. Knowing that, I can't see them going into a do or die season with Zach, Mike White or Gardner Minshew as their QB. 

Putting that kind of pressure on the CS prevents long term thinking and making the best decisions for the team. It promotes moves that are good for one year while mortgaging the future. That is why ultimatums are stupid.  The Jets paid the price for this kind of thinking under Ryan, Bowles, and Gase.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

If Douglas and Saleh want to keep their jobs through the 2024 season, they need to make the playoffs next year. Knowing that, I can't see them going into a do or die season with Zach, Mike White or Gardner Minshew as their QB. 

Who else is a candidate?  There arent many options out there.

• Upvote 1

why wouldnt Tom Brady go back to Pats?  I dont know much about it to be honest but I do know that fan base would wholehearted welcome him back and there would be lots less pressure to win it all.  I mean they would all be falling over each other just because he is back

Plus he could actually win it all with that defense.

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Putting that kind of pressure on the CS prevents long term thinking and making the best decisions for the team. It promotes moves that are good for one year while mortgaging the future. That is why ultimatums are stupid.  The Jets paid the price for this kind of thinking under Ryan, Bowles, and Gase.  

All very true, but it doesn't mean it won't happen. 

59 minutes ago, peebag said:

Who else is a candidate?  There arent many options out there.

Brady - He's never coming here. He's expressed his disdain for this organization in the past, at 46 he doesn't need to deal with our headaches. 

Rodgers - Cap hit makes moving him unlikely. 

Carr - I'm not sure they want to move him. I guess they could if they pick a QB in the first, but who knows. 

Goff - Lions are playing well and I don't see them getting rid of him. 

Geno - He's probably going back to Seattle. 

I think White is coming back but I think he will be joined by either JImmy G (not that I love it) or I san see them working out some sort of trade with the Packers for Love. I have no idea what the compensation would look like for Love, but the connection between the coaching staffs is too big to ignore. I could also see Zach's family endorsing a Green Bay trade under the mistaken belief that Zach will become a better player if he sits behind Rodgers (there is no saving Zach, he should go into another line of work). I don't anticipate that the Jets would seriously ponder going into the season with love as the unquestioned starter, but I can see them having him compete with White. 

On 12/23/2022 at 7:04 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Potentially Available QBs:

Jimmy G
Lamar Jackson
Derek Carr
Jared Goff
Ryan Tannehill
Matt Ryan
Sam Darnold
Tom Brady
Jacoby Brissett
Aaron Rodgers
Andy Dalton
Daniel Jones
Taylor Heineke
Geno Smith
Jordan Love
Russell Wilson

Gardner Minshew

image.jpeg.8530d56afd28fd19539497d217bb10b9.jpeg

The irony of Tom Brady going to the NYJ and winning a SB here would be insane. I would literally mail a card that laughs in belicheat's face every day for a month.

That said, the best option might be either Baker or Goff, so we can save our picks to fill OL line holes.

On 12/23/2022 at 7:47 PM, Coquito said:

I do too. Here's the thing, the agents representing MW and other potential QB's have the Jets over a barrel, right now. They can smell the desperation.

Disagree.  We're officially a good landing place for many a QB.  It might even be a buyers market of all things.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/23/2022 at 9:27 PM, carlito1171 said:

Rodgers would be my choice but I don't see how it works money wise...GB would be eating a ton of dead money to move him....

If Lamar gets franchised, refuses to play on it, and holds out until he gets traded, that would be the only scenario in which he's available....but MLF would have to be a goner and you'd have to hire an OC to build an offense for him. He's not the QB for a rigid WCO.....Also, are you willing to give a Cousins/Watson type of deal to a guy who can start to get hurt often with his playstyle? 

Carr is the last of the "premium" options....not the same guy after injuries, but good enough to hold the fort down for a couple years

People won't want to hear this....but I could see Woody snooping around TB12's camp to see if he wants to get revenge on BB for a year or two....

No to Garropolo.....when was the last time he played 16 games? 

Realistically you're looking at a Minshew or Brissett signing....the question becomes will they move Zach for pennies on the dollar and do they draft someone in the middle rounds to develop for a year or two?

Jimmy G also gets to the playoffs if he’s healthy, deep in the playoffs and Mike White behind him can help insure the same quality of play if Jimmy gets hurt. It’s a no brainer they both know the system.

3 hours ago, SoJetsy said:

Jimmy G also gets to the playoffs if he’s healthy

Well that's the thing. The "if he's healthy" is the key part that makes me take a step back. SInce becoming SF's full time starter, he's only played 16 games once. And MW doesn't exactly breed confidence in durability either...

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Jetsfan_always said:

The irony of Tom Brady going to the NYJ and winning a SB here would be insane. I would literally mail a card that laughs in belicheat's face every day for a month.

That said, the best option might be either Baker or Goff, so we can save our picks to fill OL line holes.

I'm 100% on board with TB12 here (if he'd come here).  He'd probably give us a chance against all these star QBs in the AFC and we wouldn't have to trade for him.

Btw, I don't think Goff is a FA. 

• Ugh 1

Outside of Lamar Jackson/Top 3 pick in the draft, there’s no QB this off-season to go after that’s better value/player that will dramatically improve the offense over what Mike White would give us. 

They probably want to make a major swing but I just don’t think there is one to be made unfortunately. 

When you really look at it, the league is filled with mediocre QBs.