Let's Talk Next Jets QB For 2022-23

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So for 4 years his receivers have been trash and are fully to blame for that low YPA?  Nah, not buying that.  He is what he is.  

And how about Minshew?  What receivers has he been throwing to over his career to date?

I thought we were just talking about this season? We can go back to last season and compare Jones and White/Minshew if you want. 

Look at the Giants rosters over the past few years. They had trash OL or WRS in every season he’s been there and usually a combination of both 

You have nothing for the full 2 yards YAC difference? That 75% contributes to quality of weapons. 

I like minshew, but would I want him to be the starter over jones? I’d pick jones 

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

My top 3 with salary in mind are 

Daniel Jones

Baker

Minshew 

Goff is under contract, but if he’s available then I’d take a flyer if he’s in the 20 mil range 

I’ve crapped on Daniel Jones for years but depending on the price - I would sign him. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Fair, which I think might lead JD towards a more durable option like Minshew and let White test the market.  Not sure many teams can afford FA QBs 1A and 1B anymore.  But to your point, Mr. Coffee's brutal 2019 draft leaves only Q in need of a payday so JD might be able to do it.

But these wouldn't be ordinary 1a/1b guys.  Both would essentially be on "prove-it" deals since the market doesn't seem to value them too much despite their productivity.

They'd likely be cheaper, combined, than most QB1s in the league.  And we have plenty of cap space to make something like that happen.

Douglas can't afford to be without options next season.  All eggs in one basket is not a good idea right now.  You want 2 viable options to go ahead of Zach Wilson on the depth chart so that the team won't be forced to play him.

31 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I thought we were just talking about this season? We can go back to last season and compare Jones and White/Minshew if you want. 

Look at the Giants rosters over the past few years. They had trash OL or WRS in every season he’s been there and usually a combination of both 

You have nothing for the full 2 yards YAC difference? That 75% contributes to quality of weapons. 

I like minshew, but would I want him to be the starter over jones? I’d pick jones 

He's had around a 6.6 YPA every season of his career, including this year.  

Obviously most would pick Jones over Minshew, but price is what will make the difference there.  Do you want Jones at $25-30M+ per year or Minshew at $10-15M?  If those are the prices, that is, sign me up for Minshew.  Whether White comes back or not.

29 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

I’ve crapped on Daniel Jones for years but depending on the price - I would sign him. 

Guys he's not hitting free agency. He's having a good year, will want the moon, and the giants will respond by franchising him because there are NO OTHER options past him. They certainly wouldn't just let him walk without getting nothing in return.

They gonna franchise jones and see if he can repeat his success. They'll sign Barkley to a long term deal. Neither guy is going anywhere, they are the whole offense for them.

45 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So for 4 years his receivers have been trash and are fully to blame for that low YPA?  Nah, not buying that.  He is what he is.  

And how about Minshew?  What receivers has he been throwing to over his career to date?

Jones has had weapons almost as bad the Jets did from 2019-2021

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Guys he's not hitting free agency. He's having a good year, will want the moon, and the giants will respond by franchising him because there are NO OTHER options past him. They certainly wouldn't just let him walk without getting nothing in return.

They gonna franchise jones and see if he can repeat his success. They'll sign Barkley to a long term deal. Neither guy is going anywhere, they are the whole offense for them.

Why didn’t they put the fifth year option on him if they believed in him? 

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Potentially Available QBs:

Jimmy G
Lamar Jackson
Derek Carr
Jared Goff
Ryan Tannehill
Matt Ryan
Sam Darnold
Tom Brady
Jacoby Brissett
Aaron Rodgers
Andy Dalton
Daniel Jones
Taylor Heineke
Geno Smith
Jordan Love
Russell Wilson
Baker Mayfield

image.jpeg.8530d56afd28fd19539497d217bb10b9.jpeg

My shortlist for qbs for next year in no order: 

rodgers

jimmy g

carr 

darnold 

love

draft:

HENDON HOOKER

1. Aaron Rodgers. This is a long shot. He’s either a Packer or he retires next season. I don’t see him on another team. But I could be wrong. 

2. Derek Carr. If they want to move off of him then he’d be my number 1 choice. 

3. Jimmy Garopollo. With the emergence of Purdy and Lance still on the roster. This gives them an excuse to move off Jimmy G. He is familiar with the system. If we can’t get Carr for whatever reason then he’s the guy for me. 

4. Gardner Minshew. I’d bring him in and have him compete with Mike White for the job. 

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

And what are you trading to Green Bay to get him, since he is under contract thru 2026.

And how are you convincing him to cut his thru 2026 deal to a 2023 only deal?

And who are you cutting to afford him @ like $50/mil a season?

And who is your next GM after JD is fired for such a fiasco boondoggle of a decision, lol.

Ok ... So bad idea .. had no idea he was under contract through 2026 ... Packers about to be a sh*t storm.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

I know people are ready to send Zach to some other galaxy, but a) he's untradeable at anything near fair value and b) he's owed a lot of gteed money in 2023.  Has to be included in the mix even as a QB3 who never sees the field...

I think Zach has the exact skill set you want in a QB3 that never sees the field. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

If he’s so good why has he been on 3 teams in one year?

I never said he was a great qb. He’s definitely average or above average. The browns wabted Watson who can be a top 5 qb. When was the last time we had a qb who could match bakers production in 2020? 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, BurntDice said:

This is an excellent summation of why the super simple QB evaluation method of “Good Players Tend to Play Football Good” is infinitely more accurate than playing Excuse Twister to come to the conclusion one desires.

11 hours ago, PepPep said:

How is Lamar Jackson not on this list. I mean, I know its a pipedream that he will actually end up on the Jets, but he is a potential QB available in FA. He is the TOP guy every QB needy team should consider. The biggest talent, the most dangerous weapon. I don't care what system he fits in. You bring him to the Jets, with this defense and offensive weapons, they are immediate SB contenders. At the very least, you can pencil them into the playoffs- barring injuries. 

If you want to suggest to me that Lamar is not worth the money or MLF cannot figure out a way to use him, you are wrong. Flat. Out incorrect. Every OC loves a guy like Lamar because of how easy he makes calling plays for him.  

Oh he’d be QB1. I just can’t actually imagine we have any shot at him leaving Baltimore or us getting him.

Without Lamar, in that division, Baltimore is a 5 win team. They won’t let him out.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Daniel Jones would be more expensive than Minshew....

My whole thing is Jones and Love have upside that Minshew and White can't touch. They could be the guy... the best Minshew and White can be is the bridge.

I get it, I roasted Gettlemen on the Jones pick ruthlessly, I found Jones to be a big doofy doe eyed dullard but if we're being objective Jones has shown progress that we wish any of our drafted QB's had and hes doing it with saquon and nothing else.

• Sympathy 1

Mike White has made 6 starts. 5 of them have been solid to good, 1 has been bad. 1 game he left early with an injury. 

The Jets are a franchise that never has competent QB play. This organization, and this GM/HC can not afford to throw away Mike White. What he's done in a small sample size is too impressive. Even if some may say, some of us are just impressed with Mike White because the bar has been set so low by Zach Wilson, it doesn't matter. He's a 27 year old QB who would be entering his 3rd year in the system who has looked like he knows what he is doing. The team responds to him, the fans love him. He needs to be on this team next year. 

Go get Jimmy G or try and trade for Jordan Love to compete with him. That's fine. I don't think Aaron Rodgers is going to be available. 

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

This is an excellent summation of why the super simple QB evaluation method of “Good Players Tend to Play Football Good” is infinitely more accurate than playing Excuse Twister to come to the conclusion one desires.

Jones has played well. High completion % every year, more tds than ints, solid rushing production. 

However there are nuances to just using stats to analyze a player. How was his supporting cast? Would he be more successful with a better team? Has he been improving throughout his career? At the moment with a very poor wr/te room he’s an average qb, which is still better than what we have even if he’d didn’t improve with a better roster. 

8 hours ago, August said:

3. Jimmy Garopollo. With the emergence of Purdy and Lance still on the roster. This gives them an excuse to move off Jimmy G. He is familiar with the system. If we can’t get Carr for whatever reason then he’s the guy for me. 

It's actually spelled "Garoppolo", not "Garopollo".  The way you're spelling it, Mike McDaniel is going to have to step in and do the clucking thing.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

Me too but he’s had a solid season and he’s been roasted by the big scary NY media since his rookie season and he’s held tough each year with garbage offense around him.

Kid has some tools and is mentally strong.

• Upvote 1

Ok. This shouldn’t be what would you do. It should be what will JD do. Based in his track record and training. He’s not signing a high priced veteran QB or trading lots of draft assets for one. He will look for value and youth. Players like Minshew or even Tyler Huntley. If he goes veteran it will be some stop gap jag like andy daulton. And if he trades zach wilson, they will look for a QB (no sooner than round 3) to develop who fits the system.

13 hours ago, Coquito said:

I do too. Here's the thing, the agents representing MW and other potential QB's have the Jets over a barrel, right now. They can smell the desperation.

Depends, if you are a Brissett or Darnold or Minshew, a one-year prove-it deal gives you a chance at an even larger contract.  Face it, some of the guys on that list at best are getting back-up money with an established QB.  It's the Geno Smith/Drew Lock situation... QB competition can be a last chance to become a bonafide starting QB with a multi-year contract.  That's what gives them a chance at White for 1-year 10-15 million type money, even if he has other suitors for similar cash elsehwere.  The fan base has embraced him.  

29 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I never said he was a great qb. He’s definitely average or above average. The browns wabted Watson who can be a top 5 qb. When was the last time we had a qb who could match bakers production in 2020? 

Baker had a stacked team and great OL and has been exposed ever since. He is horrible but he’s better than Zach I’ll give you that

21 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

My whole thing is Jones and Love have upside that Minshew and White can't touch. They could be the guy... the best Minshew and White can be is the bridge.

I get it, I roasted Gettlemen on the Jones pick ruthlessly, I found Jones to be a big doofy doe eyed dullard but if we're being objective Jones has shown progress that we wish any of our drafted QB's had and hes doing it with saquon and nothing else.

I hear ya on White, but all the guy has done is show he can do it.  Maybe not stay healthy behind a sh*tty o-line, but he has been solid in this offense when healthy.  I'd resign White, bring in an established vet for competition and consider a round 2, round 3 QB this year.  Solidify the o-line. Face it, I doubt a 25-30 million Garropollo is coming here, and even if he did, he'd be booed out of the stadium the moment he had a 15-28, 160 yds, and 3 int type of day vs. NE or BUF.  Our only hope is an underdog like White rising from his 5th round stature to take the position.  Jets fans like underdogs, witness Streveler, who can't throw an NFL out.