Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Unfortunately i agree, they’re telling them exactly what they want to hear.  Yet the team is ready to contend now with a veteran qb, so if they get carr, let’s say, and get a wild card birth and wilson never sees the field except in mop up duty, then they’ve red shirted him his 3rd year and he’s worth next to nothing.  So you may as well trade him now, while he has more value like darnold.  

The only value that Zach has right now is with the Jets being able to coach him up. The best you would probably get is a 5th and that’s probably being way too optimistic. 

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There are entire graveyards filled with teams who were “a decent QB away” from competing. It’s almost never true. Just ask the “decent QB” we’re probably going to end up with in Ryan Tannehill

Not like this, the offense is loaded in all the other units.  We competed with ZW playing 9 games.
We’re not winding up with a QB worse than MW.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Not like this, the offense is loaded in all the other units.  We competed with ZW playing 9 games.
We’re not winding up with a QB worse than MW.  

We’ll get somebody, but we’re probably not getting anyone who’s turning this team into a contender. Obviously, those guys don’t shake loose. 

8 minutes ago, section314 said:

The only value that Zach has right now is with the Jets being able to coach him up. The best you would probably get is a 5th and that’s probably being way too optimistic. 

I think—if Douglas wanted to—he could move Zach for more than people think. If he was in this draft, he’d be no worse than QB4 after Young, Levis, and Stroud. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We’ll get somebody, but we’re probably not getting anyone who’s turning this team into a contender. Obviously, those guys don’t shake loose. 

A lot is going to be dependent on Breece’s timeframe on his return, what he’s like when he returns and the health of the OL.  A solid run game, the WR group and we won’t need a savior at QB.  Someone consistent at the position along with this D and we’ll be a pretty solid contender

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think—if Douglas wanted to—he could move Zach for more than people think. If he was in this draft, he’d be no worse than QB4 after Young, Levis, and Stroud. 

If that’s true, definitely keep him. Get an Andy Dalton to run the ship for 1-2 years and get s real QB coach in here.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, these were all things that landed on LaFleur’s plate, and for which it seemed he was charged with fixing by himself. The issue of Zach starting is the subject of some intrigue, and we don’t really know where LaFleur came down on it. Based on the info we have (h/t footballguy and Mogglez), Woody wasn’t even pushing for Zach to start as long as he had, and it took a three hour meeting after the Pats disaster to get Zach on the bench. Whoever is the new OC gets to deal with that sh*t next season—presumably with a veteran starter thrown into the mix. There’s going to be a lot of bullsh*t to wade through for whatever sucker takes this job. IMO, asking another newb to handle it will end up as well as it did this year. 

I don't disagree on any of this, save maybe the order of operations, so to speak. I think if the 2023 Jets make the playoffs, it will be a combination of, in descending order of importance, 1. improved QB play 2. Saleh getting his sh*t together as a head coach so the Seattle debacle is never repeated 3. better injury luck. I think an OC can be helpful in that process in a whole host of different ways, from getting Moore involved in the offense to (in the case of Bevell or another veteran) serving as a sounding board and guide for Saleh when the team hits a rough patch and the vibes aren't so positive anymore. But ultimately all of that is marginal. If they make a significant upgrade at QB, and Saleh turns out to be the real deal, and they stay healthy, they can go ahead and hire some boob like Caley and they'll still be playing next January. Likewise, if we end up with 7 healthy games of Jimmy G, and/or Saleh turns out to be a jacked-up Herm Edwards, and/or everybody gets hurt again, then Todd Monken or Greg Olson or Joe Brady or whoever we're all supposed to want are getting sh*tcanned with everyone else.

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My fear is that these younger, more desperate candidates are walking into the interview with a slideshow of their plans to fix Wilson, and one of them is going to end up getting the job as a result

I have such revulsion toward the idea of watching Derek Carr as QB of the NYJ for the next 5 seasons that I've almost come full circle back to wanting ZW to be given another chance.

Almost

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Out of all the options we really should be aiming for Dalton? 

It really comes down to what the real plan is for Zach. If they truly believe he is the FQB and with a real QB coach on board it will work, then a guy like Dalton would be perfect. If we had Dalton this year we might still be playing. If all this Zach development stuff is just BS to try to move him, then absolutely try to get a bigger name giuy. Most everyone said about this team was with just average WB play we would have made it. Dalton is more than average.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, section314 said:

It really comes down to what the real plan is for Zach. If they truly believe he is the FQB and with a real QB coach on board it will work, then a guy like Dalton would be perfect. If we had Dalton this year we might still be playing. If all this Zach development stuff is just BS to try to move him, then absolutely try to get a bigger name giuy. Most everyone said about this team was with just average WB play we would have made it. Dalton is more than average.

Thinking whoever we sign will be an out a couple of years down the line so if by some stretch Zach is showing them something in practices wouldn’t make a difference and at least we’re not spinning our wheels.  I’ll be so disappointed with Dalton.   I’d rather go Carr, Jimmy G, Baker, Jameis, Brisset or White.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

My fear is that these younger, more desperate candidates are walking into the interview with a slideshow of their plans to fix Wilson, and one of them is going to end up getting the job as a result

I think Douglas and Saleh are smarter than that. Yes, they MAY hire one of the younger less experienced candidates, but I don't think it will be because they claim they can fix Zach. While it would be nice to fix Zach, he had his chance and there are other more important attributes they will be seeking in their search for a new OC.

Well they better be able to claim they can fix wilson or they do not get the job.

the guy going in with the best plan will have a plan for a vet and also what he feels is a solid plan for wilson to get better.  Even if the wilson ship has sailed he is still an asset and if there is one thing Douglas does well is get something for assets.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

But ultimately all of that is marginal. If they make a significant upgrade at QB, and Saleh turns out to be the real deal, and they stay healthy,

So, like, none of this is realistically going to occur. Saleh is what he is. Carr is going to Tennessee, we have an outside shot at Garoppolo, but we most likely end up with a Tannehill or Brissett at QB, and it’ll all be on the OC to dig a moat around the offense and create something out of Garrett Wilson, a cobbled together OL, and a half-speed Breece Hall. The OC can save everyone or tank the whole program in a Dabollesque fashion. Is one of these kid OC candidates a supergenius like Ben Johnson? Maybe, but not likely. I’m fixated on getting a guy with some pelts on the wall because he’s going to be like Luke Wilson walking into Idiocracy and it’s going to be on him to explain why Gatorade having electrolytes doesn’t equate to better plant health. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Jet Blast said:

I think Douglas and Saleh are smarter than that. Yes, they MAY hire one of the younger less experienced candidates, but I don't think it will be because they claim they can fix Zach. While it would be nice to fix Zach, he had his chance and there are other more important attributes they will be seeking in their search for a new OC.

The prevailing rumor is that the coaches are out on Wilson, but the personnel side thinks Wilson can play. Douglas wants to placate Rex Hogan and his scouts, so giving Zach at least an outside shot in the new system is likely part of any deal they make with the new OC. Saleh already lost these negotiations when they fired LaFleur. It’s likely that Douglas rams a new OC down his throat while he has the upper hand established

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Do you mean that before or after two years of horrific play at the NFL level?

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

...most likely end up with a Tannehill or Brissett at QB, and it’ll all be on the OC to dig a moat around the offense and create something out of Garrett Wilson, a cobbled together OL, and a half-speed Breece Hall. 

I love the optimism!

4 full offseasons for JD and we can expect "dig a moat around the offense" - LMFAO!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, derp said:

Do you mean that before or after two years of horrific play at the NFL level?

I mean that someone will look at the parts and think the Jets ****ed him up. If you’re an NFL staff, would you rather have two years to work with Zach Wilson or Aidan O’Connell? 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I mean that someone will look at the parts and think the Jets ****ed him up. If you’re an NFL staff, would you rather have two years to work with Zach Wilson or Aidan O’Connell? 

O’Connell isn’t QB4 in this draft, sir.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Douglas should 1000% look to get Wilson out of town this offseason. I just get the feeling that there are too many people on the personnel side that think he’s salvageable and they’ll hang on to him just in case.

I do not believe that ANYONE, including JD, think he's salvageable. That's why JD attacked @kevinc855. He knows that Zach is done. He knows.  Everything else said by him and Saleh about still believing is just for show. If Jets didn't have 2 full yrs guaranteed to pay him, he'd already be gone. They know. They know. It's probably only Woody that still has to come to terms.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

So, like, none of this is realistically going to occur. Saleh is what he is. Carr is going to Tennessee, we have an outside shot at Garoppolo, but we most likely end up with a Tannehill or Brissett at QB, and it’ll all be on the OC to dig a moat around the offense and create something out of Garrett Wilson, a cobbled together OL, and a half-speed Breece Hall. The OC can save everyone or tank the whole program in a Dabollesque fashion. Is one of these kid OC candidates a supergenius like Ben Johnson? Maybe, but not likely. I’m fixated on getting a guy with some pelts on the wall because he’s going to be like Luke Wilson walking into Idiocracy and it’s going to be on him to explain why Gatorade having electrolytes doesn’t equate to better plant health. 

If none of it realistically occurs, then even getting a Dabollesque guy does nothing for us. You’re positing a world where the QB is an also-ran and the coach is a dunce, but the team will be ok because of the offensive coordinator? It’s the head coach and the QB. It’s always the head coach and the QB. If you think those spots are doomed, you think the 2023 team is doomed. That’s fine; it probably is. But don’t sit here talking yourself into Darrell Bevell riding in on a white horse. It demeans all of us.

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I do not believe that ANYONE, including JD, think he's salvageable. That's why JD attacked @kevinc855. He knows that Zach is done. He knows.  Everything else said by him and Saleh about still believing is just for show. If Jets didn't have 2 full yrs guaranteed to pay him, he'd already be gone. They know. They know. It's probably only Woody that still has to come to terms.

Honestly, who wouldn’t want to attack @kevinc855? Have you seen those videos?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, dbatesman said:

If none of it realistically occurs, then even getting a Dabollesque guy does nothing for us. You’re positing a world where the QB is an also-ran and the coach is a dunce, but the team will be ok because of the offensive coordinator? It’s the head coach and the QB. It’s always the head coach and the QB. If you think those spots are doomed, you think the 2023 team is doomed. That’s fine; it probably is. But don’t sit here talking yourself into Darrell Bevell riding in on a white horse. It demeans all of us.

The head coach is a dunce who’s going to use his billion dollar DT and three shutdown CBs to hold opposing offenses to <20 ppg. It’s then on the jacked-up dime store offense to produce 21 ppg while managing a bunch of other nonsense sh*t. Give me the old hand who’s seen some sh*t over the dippy 34 year old kid who spent ten years holding a tackling dummy for Hunter Henry drills

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Thinking whoever we sign will be an out a couple of years down the line so if by some stretch Zach is showing them something in practices wouldn’t make a difference and at least we’re not spinning our wheels.  I’ll be so disappointed with Dalton.   I’d rather go Carr, Jimmy G, Baker, Jameis, Brisset or White.

I hear you. Dalton was more of the type of guy I could see them bringing in if the first part of my theory is true. The last 3-4 guys you mentioned fit the same mold. Not sold on Dalton by any stretch, just more of a guy in that neighborhood.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

You know I fully respect your draftin’ eyes, but Richardson is a million miles away from being near even where Fields is right now, and Fields isn’t a viable passer.

So I think two things. Wilson is done. The accuracy is one thing, but the inability to handle pressure isn’t something I can recall anyone’s overcome. Darnold was the same but they didn’t help him at all, Wilson’s this bad and they’ve given him talent to work with. He’s just bad.

Richardson has accuracy concerns but he’s actually got a feel for pocket management and manipulating defenders with his eyes I don’t think we’ve ever seen from Wilson. Matt Waldman did a nice video on him. And he’s very obviously raw so he should get time. Plus he can impact the game as a runner which allows him to remain competitive and build confidence as he grows as a thrower. He’s the raw guy everybody calls raw and a bust because it’s easy but actually has some of the intangibles he needs to have in order to be good at quarterback.

Still a lottery ticket, but like…before the lottery’s been played, as opposed to Wilson who at this point is like a lottery ticket that got found dropped on the ground the day after the drawing.

• Post of the Week 1