Jets OC interviews (Merged OC Candidates Thread)

Larz

13 hours ago, football guy said:

A few random notes on the coaching search: 

• Very much a collaborative effort between FO-HC. I assumed Saleh would have a particular candidate in mind but he buys into the approach the Jets took that led to his own hiring, which is to have an open search and hire the guy who “fits” what they’re looking for. 
  • What they’re looking for? A well rounded coach with strong leadership and communication skills. As evidenced by their candidates thus far, having a specific trait or background is not necesssrily the primary focus. Saleh and the FO agreed that Mike LaFleur, while talented, was too rigid in terms of scheme/usage and failed to exhibit the strong leadership qualities such as communication. They want someone who will be more “global” with the offensive staff and players. 
  • Nick Caley is interviewing this week. When I first saw his name I admittedly rolled my eyes. Then spoke to some people in the know and they said he’s a legit candidate. The connection here is Jets chief of staff Steve Scarnecchia, who is close with Caley. Scarnecchia He was much more than a “TE coach” under McDaniels specifically and people believe he could be a future head coach given his overall football knowledge, compatibility, organization, and high-end communication skills. Another reason why he’s being considered? Jimmy Garoppolo. They’ve know each other dating back to their Eastern Illinois/New England days and have remained close. 
  • There are some with the Jets who believe a scenario exists where they can hire both Kevin Patullo + Marcus Brady as a “package deal”. That would likely require the Jets hiring Patullo as the OC and Marcus Brady to a QB coach/passing game coordinator type role. There are a lot of connections here. Patullo spent some time here, but both were on the Colts staff when Rex Hogan was there as well. Both now in PHI where Joe Douglas has a ton of friends. Jets spoke to Reich and those guys came highly recommended.
  • There’s some sense that it will be difficult to convince Darrell Bevell to leave Miami. He will consider it, but wouldn’t call it a lock.
  • Much like Bevell, there’s some belief among agents that Joe Brady wants to stay in Buffalo for another year.
  • Add Greg Olson to the list of popular OC candidates who is less likely to come here. Not impossible, but he prefers to stay as close to the Bay Area as possible. 
  • Doug Marrone is someone to monitor as OL coach/run game coordinator. The Jets feel they have lacked an “aggressive edge” to their OL and will look for a coach who will tap into it, which Marrone is well known for. Also important: Marrone is flexible with blocking schemes (zone/man). It wouldn’t be a lateral move with “RGC” attached to his title. Worth noting that Saleh was on his staff in Jacksonville. Was also born and raised in the Bronx.
  • Nathanial Hackett was contemplating a year off. Some believe he can be convinced to be an offensive consultant, but doesn’t sound like there’s a rush on Hackett’s end. May be an option for us after we lock down an OC. 
  • Pat Shurmur was among the list of names Saleh has put together for a senior position on the staff. No word on that front. 
  • Justin Outten (DEN), Ben McDaniels (HOU), and Chris Morgan (CHI) are additional candidates that have been mentioned for potential roles on our staff. 

Can we just hire them all? 

13 hours ago, football guy said:

Nick Caley is interviewing this week. When I first saw his name I admittedly rolled my eyes. Then spoke to some people in the know and they said he’s a legit candidate. The connection here is Jets chief of staff Steve Scarnecchia, who is close with Caley. Scarnecchia He was much more than a “TE coach” under McDaniels specifically and people believe he could be a future head coach given his overall football knowledge, compatibility, organization, and high-end communication skills. Another reason why he’s being considered? Jimmy Garoppolo. They’ve know each other dating back to their Eastern Illinois/New England days and have remained close. 

With the position that Douglas and Saleh are in (jobs on the line, unofficial playoff mandate) one could say them hitching their future to injury-prone Jimmy Garoppolo is foolish.

On the other hand, maybe credit is needed in the sense that they're not looking to throw a mega contract or purging draft picks beyond what they value the other options to be and handicapping the teams future in the process to save their jobs with a one-year playoff wild card birth.

They're either stupid or noble and following the process. I guess time will tell lol.

Either way if we get Garoppolo, we need a better backup than Mike White next year that can be counted on. We can't have two QBs who are getting hurt constantly.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Just listened to an interview with a NESN guy specifically about Caley. Apparently, nobody knows what he does, but he’s been around the Pats for ten years as a Josh McDaniel protegee. McDaniel tried to take him to Vegas—again, as a position coach—and the Pats blocked him. He is not in consideration to become the Pats OC this cycle, either.

He has been heavily involved in game planning and play design over the past few years, but his responsibilities were more clearly defined under McDaniels. Overall sentiment is that the way BB built the offense this year was too disjointed with no clear message or direction on who would do what, which is probably why the lacked a cohesive identity as an offense. Given how much power Matt Patricia has within that organization, it put Caley in an awkward position to try and fend him off as the primary voice on offense without stepping on his toes, hence the collaborative effort between he, Patricia, and Judge. Patricia became the de facto run game coordinator/play caller, Judge the pass game coordinator, and Caley ended up supporting role instead of an oversight role. 

I can't get into Caley's head, but the fact that he declined an extension and opted to be a coaching FA speaks volumes... I would guess he was rubbed the wrong way when NE blocked him from another opportunity while failing to outright promote him. It seems like NE is going out of their way to avoid this situation again given how they went out of their way to announce that they will be hiring an OC and are working on an extension with long-term assistant Jerod Mayo. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, football guy said:

He has been heavily involved in game planning and play design over the past few years, but his responsibilities were more clearly defined under McDaniels. Overall sentiment is that the way BB built the offense this year was too disjointed with no clear message or direction on who would do what, which is probably why the lacked a cohesive identity as an offense. Given how much power Matt Patricia has within that organization, it put Caley in an awkward position to try and fend him off as the primary voice on offense without stepping on his toes, hence the collaborative effort between he, Patricia, and Judge. Patricia became the de facto run game coordinator/play caller, Judge the pass game coordinator, and Caley ended up supporting role instead of an oversight role. 

I can't get into Caley's head, but the fact that he declined an extension and opted to be a coaching FA speaks volumes... I would guess he was rubbed the wrong way when NE blocked him from another opportunity while failing to outright promote him. It seems like NE is going out of their way to avoid this situation again given how they went out of their way to announce that they will be hiring an OC and are working on an extension with long-term assistant Jerod Mayo. 

To the best of your knowledge:

1) to what extent does any new hire have to believe in Wilson?

2) any rumblings about the jets drafting a qb this year?

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Just listened to an interview with a NESN guy specifically about Caley. Apparently, nobody knows what he does, but he’s been around the Pats for ten years as a Josh McDaniel protegee. McDaniel tried to take him to Vegas—again, as a position coach—and the Pats blocked him. He is not in consideration to become the Pats OC this cycle, either.

So basically Caley has no discernable talents or skills save a long and ill-defined association with a winning franchise? Sounds like the prototypical Jets hire.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, football guy said:

I have a strange feeling it’s going to be kevin patullo .. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

This hire makes or breaks Saleh and Douglas. 

I actually don't think the OC is that important. It's the QB decision that makes or breaks them. I don't think Caley is going to make Derek Carr or Jimmy Garoppolo worse, just like I don't think he'll make Zach Wilson better.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I actually don't think the OC is that important. It's the QB decision that makes or breaks them. I don't think Caley is going to make Derek Carr or Jimmy Garoppolo worse, just like I don't think he'll make Zach Wilson better.

Have to wonder to what extent they’re going to force wilson on these guys.  I have a hard time believing that anyone would say in an interview that they’re psyched to work with wilson and turn him into a franchise qb.  

15 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Have to wonder to what extent they’re going to force wilson on these guys.  I have a hard time believing that anyone would say in an interview that they’re psyched to work with wilson and turn him into a franchise qb.  

If anyone said that to me, I would be like, "Thanks for coming in. We'll get back to you."

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, football guy said:

There were a lot of reasons why Marrone wasn’t hired, and he naturally wasn’t happy because he wanted the job, but I don’t think he harbors a level of animosity that would result in him avoiding a job with us. He’s just one name (Chris Morgan another), but they absolutely want to add more edginess in that room. They want the OL to have an enforcers mentality and it starts with having an aggressive coach  

I love this. Go back to the ground and pound days of the early part of Rex's time here.

18 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Disagree. The OC is going to be the de facto head coach of the team while Saleh is off mapping out defensive line rotations and running the stairs. LaFleur’s successes and failures defined this past season for the Jets, and he’s the guy who got the yank in the end. What we know about Saleh is that his defense is going to hold the other offense down, but literally everything else on the team appeared to be beyond his control. The next OC is going to be the adult in the room, and the fact that it sounds like actual adult OCs want no part of this mess is discouraging, and that Caley appears to be their main target is an indication that Saleh hasn’t properly identified what ruined his team last year and he’s in a rush to repeat the same mistakes all over again

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Disagree. The OC is going to be the de facto head coach of the team while Saleh is off mapping out defensive line rotations and running the stairs. LaFleur’s successes and failures defined this past season for the Jets, and he’s the guy who got the yank in the end. What we know about Saleh is that his defense is going to hold the other offense down, but literally everything else on the team appeared to be beyond his control. The next OC is going to be the adult in the room, and the fact that it sounds like actual adult OCs want no part of this mess is discouraging, and that Caley appears to be their main target is an indication that Saleh hasn’t properly identified what ruined his team last year and he’s in a rush to repeat the same mistakes all over again

I think Bevell is the target, but as @football guyposted last night, he  may want to stay in Miami.

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think this nails it. There needs to be a veteran coach somewhere at a high level. Saleh needs to swallow his ego a little bit and have some self awareness. This of course depends on if he’s really desperate/competitive when it comes to winning or if it’s to appear like he is with 25 mill guaranteed. What we’ll also find out is if Lefleurs firing was because he in fact sucked or if the Jets need to find a guy willing to work with Wilson as the starter. Lot of moving parts and questions.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

What defined this season is that a.) Zach Wilson was so bad he had to be benched in the middle of a playoff push, and to a much lesser extent b.) injuries to Breece Hall, basically every member of the OL, and (especially) Mike White derailed said playoff push. Run this season back with Caley or Darrell Bevell or Greg Olson or Joe Brady or whoever, and I don't think it's any different.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

I think Bevell is the target, but as @football guyposted last night, he  may want to stay in Miami.

Bevell probably has one more crack at being an OC and then a head coach, and he’s not burning his last chance on a quarterbackless Jets team with a coaching staff on its last leg. If they really want Bevell, they should up the money until he says yes. 

• Upvote 2

This "Nick Caley" talk is, on some level, in some weird parallel universe to the Zach Wilson pre-draft experience, minus the pro day throw.

Basically a guy coming out of nowhere where somebody in the media (Rappaport) announces him to the world as "strong candidate".

You can't make this up.

NE's offense sucked so bad BB is finally admitting he failed by not having a real OC. 

Now that's he's hiring an OC, I have not heard Caley even mentioned as a candidate for the job on his own team, where BB obviously knows Caley's strengths and weaknesses better than anybody on the Jets does.

The NE TEs sucked last season.  Did next to nothing.  The coaching staff also failed to develop draft picks Dalton Keene and Devin Asiasi.

Hunter Henry is talented but in that offense, he's been essentially reduced to a "TD or bust" guy week to week.

Jonnu Smith has been one of the biggest FA busts in recent memory.

Who knows, Caley might turn out to be the greatest offensive mind in NFL history.  But this has all the makings of the Jets falling for yet another load of BS.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

Bevell probably has one more crack at being an OC and then a head coach, and he’s not burning his last chance on a quarterbackless Jets team with a coaching staff on its last leg. If they really want Bevell, they should up the money until he says yes. 

I don't think that would be the reason why. He'll have more chances as an OC if he wants them, but why leave Miami after 1 year when so much was accomplished? The sense is that he's open to jobs but also happy with his situation in Miami. He's been jumping place to place for a few years now so I would think that's the primary reason why. 

• Upvote 1

Total teams who have a current OC or HC vacancy (will likely be in the market for a new OC): 

1. Arizona Cardinals* 
  2. Carolina Panthers* 
  3. Denver Broncos* 
  4. Houston Texans* 
  5. Indianapolis Colts* 
  6. Los Angeles Chargers
  7. Los Angeles Rams
  8. New England Patriots 
  9. New York Jets 
  10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers 
  11. Tennessee Titans 
  12. Washington Commanders

Teams who could lose their current OC to other jobs: 

• Baltimore Ravens
  • New York Giants 
  • Philadelphia Eagles 

... could be another few weeks before we find out who will be our OC

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

What defined this season is that a.) Zach Wilson was so bad he had to be benched in the middle of a playoff push, and to a much lesser extent b.) injuries to Breece Hall, basically every member of the OL, and (especially) Mike White derailed said playoff push. Run this season back with Caley or Darrell Bevell or Greg Olson or Joe Brady or whoever, and I don't think it's any different.

2 more than 1 IMO. Hall was the most impactful playmaking freak of an offensive rookie this team had drafted since probably Al Toon. Once he went down the season was toast.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

On the flipside if you can resurrect ZW as an OC when everyone labels him as trash  - you just padded your resume big time . Sort of like Kafka with Daniel Jones, his name will now immediately rise into HC considerations.  If you can't elevate ZW then no harm as everyone is saying its a lost cause.