Bulls*#*^ hypothetical Question

Paradis

33 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I'd want to go ... but the $20K ticket ... don't think I could pull that off without wife induced castration. 

A while ago, I put my wife on notice that if the Jets ever made the Super Bowl, I was going, and I don't care what it costs.

She felt safe about agreeing to that, for obvious reasons.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I’ve been to a Super Bowl. Every commercial break is like 45 minutes long, and you spend most of the second quarter with an obstructed view of the field as a crew of 5,000 stagehands starts putting together the lighting trusses for the halftime show. Do not recommend.

Those commercial breaks are so much shorter at home on TV.  

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

For me it is hopefully # 1 and definitely not # 2. I couldn't do the group party thing with everyone talking and all that.

I watch every game with my son and we would have to do the same thing. All the background conversations would drive me insane.

I used to host a Super Bowl party every year when I still lived in Connecticut.  Was hosting one in 1998.  During our playoff run kept wondering how I could get out of it.  Last thing I wanted if the Jets made it would be to have to host a house full of people.  Unfortunately, the Jets took care of that for me,   If we make it, I plan to find a way to the game, but if thats not in the cards, the just watching on TV with my son would be the only other option.  

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

I feel awful even asking this, but if the JETS were somehow able to manipulate reality/fate and find themselves in the Super Bowl, are you more likely to—

1) try to find a way to get tickets and witness the potential glory

2) stage a big party at home/local with friends /family/fans

Quite possibly the one and only time you’ll be alive to see it happen, so WWYD

1. LIquidate the 401k to pay for the trip and game

2. Load up on the Xanax for the game

3. Let's ride. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Tickets.  I already have the money saved up and sitting in an envelope in a safe deposit box.  Wife came across it a year ago about $15K cash in the envelope.  She knew I had been putting money aside, a few bucks here and there for the last 15 or so years, but never imagined I had that much.  When I told her it was my Super Bowl fund, she burst out laughing.  At me.  Not with me.  She called me a delusional a-hole.  I can't really argue. 

I think we actually had this conversation at the hotel bar after the last game. 

• Upvote 1

I feel awful even asking this, but if the JETS were somehow able to manipulate reality/fate and find themselves in the Super Bowl, are you more likely to—

3 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think we actually had this conversation at the hotel bar after the last game. 

Yeah, I think we did.  We probably also got to the part where I said I will likely end up passing that money down to my son, since he and my grandson have much better odds of living to see it happen than I do.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Lith said:

Tickets.  I already have the money saved up and sitting in an envelope in a safe deposit box.  Wife came across it a year ago about $15K cash in the envelope.  She knew I had been putting money aside, a few bucks here and there for the last 15 or so years, but never imagined I had that much.  When I told her it was my Super Bowl fund, she burst out laughing.  At me.  Not with me.  She called me a delusional a-hole.  I can't really argue. 

Lith....this is hilarious! Shoulda told her "It's money I saved up for a hitman....you know...just in case"

• Haha 1

Biggest party I could afford. Even if you dropped 2 grand on a party, you wouldn't even come close to how much it would cost to attend the Super Bowl. If money is no object, watch it live.

• Upvote 1

Instead of going to the game stay home and watch it on the 85 inch Samsung, lots of alcohol and pre-roll cannabis. Place $200 on the opposition ML so if the Jets lose I'll at least get paid a little something, if the Jets win I can say I helped jinx the opposition. Go to the nail salon the morning of the Super Bowl and get a pedicure and manicure. Bring home some of those Texas Roadhouse tater skins for pregame. Halftime visit to the garage and start floating my way back inside to eat some more before the halftime show is over. 

When I was a kid, my parents hosted a Super Bowl party. It may have been for the 1989 match up of the 49ers vs the Bengals. We had multiple TVs going including a small TV in the bathroom. Out of all of the things I remember, it was the tiny black and white TV in the bathroom. It is a core memory. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, maury77 said:

1. LIquidate the 401k to pay for the trip and game

2. Load up on the Xanax for the game

3. Let's ride. 

I have but one life to live.  I would do everything I could to get tickets and be at the game.  If that didn't work, I'd stay home with family and a couple of friends.... don't want to host a party and don't want to be somewhere other than my own den for the game if not sitting in the stands.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Up until about 2010, I always said I would go to the SB if the Jets made it. Plus, I had season tickets and had a chance to win the lottery (each playing team gets about 17,000 tickets) to get tix at face value.  Then three things happened. The first was MetLife Stadium.  Because I was not paying the equivalent of buying a new car every year to watch the Jets in person, I opted for the Upper Deck.  That killed any chance of winning the lottery because the high roller PSL owners were getting the SB tickets at face.  Second was the cost of SB tickets, which has gone through the roof. It will cost $10,000-$20,000 all in to attend the game with 2 tickets. No game is worth that, especially when I don't know the outcome. The demand for tickets if the Jets get there will be insane.  I could not stomach paying that money for one game with the possibility that it was a loss.  The third thing is the SB itself.  I could not handle sitting in a stadium filled with rich people who don't give a crap about the game or the outcome.  The common knowledgeable fan has been priced  out of the market for this game.  I don't want to sit and watch half the stuff that goes on at the game.  47 songs and parades before the game.  A one hour halftime concert by an artist I don't like (why and how did THIS become part of the game? - When are they going to play football games at concert intermissions?).  Interminable commercial breaks.  This is no longer a football game. It's just not for me any longer. I'm watching from home.

I was appalled to hear you insinuate that the NFL only cares about the money and has no regard for the average loyal fan ! 

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

As for watching at home, I'm going to tell a story.  In 2005, I was invited to a friends house to watch the Jets-Chargers playoff game. The friend was a fellow fan who had attended some games with me, but he was not as passionate as I am. Plus, he had guests, some of whom lived in our town, but were not really football fans.  

That game had tremendous ups and downs.  The Jets appearing to win only to have Barton commit that penalty leading to a SD tie.  Overtime with an apparent loss averted by a short missed FG by Nate Kaeding.  And finally a Jets win. I was a wreck.  I went from joy to despair to despondent to joy.  The people who were not fans thought I was insane.  They were hiding the children.  

I always found it was less stressful to watch the games live in the Jets home stadium with fellow Jets fans.  I was always less nervous.  I think you feel part of the game in person.  In any event, after that playoff game, I realized I can't watch a Jets playoff game with people I don't know.  I also want to concentrate on the game and don't want any side talk about other things.  So, if the Jets play a SB, I will watch with my family - all of whom are die hard Jets fans and will act and react like I will.  That's. it. My sons, my brother, my nephew.  

I went to a Super Bowl "party" once. NEVER again. All I could hear was most of the guys talking about hunting, their jobs etc. They were there for the party. The girls were all talking about recipes and what a wonder spinach dip Sue made. Finally I literally stood right in front of the TV with another guy who cared about the game. I swore never again for a Super Bowl party. I get asked evey year but I stay home with the wife (like we do every Sunday) , grab some snacks and watch the game. I'll do the same when our Jets are in it next year.