Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

52 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Zach is still a year younger than a project QB (Hooker) who could go in the first round. 

i watched year one highlights after the college highlights.  Lots of stuff was better than last year.  MiLF was s numb nuts.  Zach was really poorly coached but there is lots of great stuff there to work with. 

@Mogglez@T0mShane @Jetsfan80  @Warfish@jgb@Maxman this is a non schtick post: I still think Zach can become  be a top 5 NFL QB for the Jets.  Fight me!!  (Or not lol)

Add to that some sweet street ball Magic from the Titans game before MiLF tried to ruin everything that made them draft him 2 @The Crusher

Aaron Rodgers with Zach Wilson.  Rodgers took 3 years to develop.  This is the where it gets real and good things happen.  This is where it all starts to change.  

tv land awww GIF by Throwing Shade

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

Deal isn’t done. So there’s a clear lack of compromise here. Reports now are that GB is standing firm. Apparently they're either demanding that 2024 pick to be a 1st straight up or it be relatively easy to go to a 1st and won’t move off that. In essence saying don’t contact us unless you pay that. That seems to be where we’re at and obviously JD hasn’t met that demand.

14 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I couldn’t agree more. 

I couldn’t wish for more than a ZW transformation. Really pulling for this young man. 

No better vet Qb to learn from on how to cancel out all the noise from the critics & skeptics and taking receipts for full payment with a vengeance.

6 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Zach is still a year younger than a project QB (Hooker) who could go in the first round. 

i watched year one highlights after the college highlights.  Lots of stuff was better than last year.  MiLF was s numb nuts.  Zach was really poorly coached but there is lots of great stuff there to work with. 

@Mogglez@T0mShane @Jetsfan80  @Warfish@jgb@Maxman this is a non schtick post: I still think Zach can become  be a top 5 NFL QB for the Jets.  Fight me!!  (Or not lol)

Add to that some sweet street ball Magic from the Titans game before MiLF tried to ruin everything that made them draft him 2 @The Crusher

Aaron Rodgers with Zach Wilson.  Rodgers took 3 years to develop.  This is the where it gets real and good things happen.  This is where it all starts to change.  

• Upvote 3

40 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Deal isn’t done. So there’s a clear lack of compromise here. Reports now are that GB is standing firm. Apparently they're either demanding that 2024 pick to be a 1st straight up or it be relatively easy to go to a 1st and won’t move off that. In essence saying don’t contact us unless you pay that. That seems to be where we’re at and obviously JD hasn’t met that demand.

I heard that last part yesterday that the ball is now in the jets court.  No idea where either side is at comp wise 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I heard that last part yesterday that the ball is now in the jets court.  No idea where either side is at comp wise 

Appears we don't want that 2024 pick to turn into a 1st easily, where they do. And they also don't want to give us protection if AR retires after 2023 with a pick coming back to us in the future if he does retire. Those seem to be the 2 hold ups.

23 minutes ago, JiF said:

Very motivating and inspiring.  It's post like this that make me think if I keep grinding, I can make the Champions Tour when I turn 50!   Putter has been a bit streaky but I'm watching youtube videos.

I really don’t understand Jets fans, Zach Wilson is done in here and the Jets are moving on. It’s insane some around here still don’t grasp the concept of coach speak.

Don’t believe me? Zach rosenblatt is now saying this same

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Reports? Sources are always welcome around here as opposed to speculation. Feel free to link where you got that from.
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

I like JD as well. I can see the evolution. If we fire him, he'll take what he learned here, go somewhere else and be an excellent GM. He blew a high pick on a universally well regarded qb prospect. He's not the first guy to do that, qb is pretty damn hard to nail unless you get handed a generational prospect like Lawrence. I'm willing to let him puck another guy, this time without someone like Lafleur in his ear.

Agreed and to add, Joe D can’t coach up ZW. He can only try to hire quality coaches to develop Zach. That one’s on Saleh and the MLF hire

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The great mistake with Zach Wilson was in gifting him the starting job from day one instead of redshirting him while he got his sh*t together. 

I continue to believe this is a Woody thing.  Did it with Sanchez, did it with Geno, did it with Darnold.  

“By golly, if I am going to pay my hard-inherited money for a rookie QB, I want him playing from day 1!!!”

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I have said this multiple time regarding Joe Douglas:

I like him.

I think he may be becoming as good as people made him to be when he was hired.

He is, 100%, without a doubt, reason numero uno as to why we’re here in the first place.  If this “cost us” Joe Douglas, I’m not crying any tears over the guy responsible for the 2020 draft, who turned down a king’s ransom for the second overall pick, and drafted Zach Wilson one year later. I share similar doubts with Saleh.

As for being a laughing stock?  Like I said, we’re currently a laughing stock.  Continuing to be one for another year doesn’t affect me in the slightest.

Douglas’ biggest mistake was not throwing big $ at Doug Pederson to become Jets coach after being let go by Eagles in 2020. He develops QBs. I understand he may have wanted to take a break but JD had a relationship with him and could not take no for an answer. Opportunity lost!

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

48 minutes ago, ptisme said:

This was hysterical, heard the GB beat reporter say that. 

Well from jets perspective, they put out their offer and the ball is in GB court to either accept or not! This is so stupid.

Here's the bottom line. Clock is against gb. Jets can do nothing and make all their draft picks and resume this up after the draft. If neither is willing to pick up the phone now, GB will eventually be forced to pick it up and bend if they want any 2023 draft picks. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

For the record, despite what statistics might say, I think Zach Wilson is in a unique situation to reset and that he is still going to come out of this a top end qb... 1 year of the yips after not having the preseason to get ready and in and out of the starting job was determental... But it doesn't mean he can't turn it around no matter how all the fortune tellers insist it's over. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JETS SB said:

https://www.audacy.com/wfan/sports/jets/boomer-esiason-aaron-rodgers-is-still-going-to-the-jets

This is from Boomer Esiason, ironically, refuting Craig Carton's BS about the 49ers and Aaron Rodgers. Maybe Boomer doesn't know what's going on either, but I would tend to believe him over Craig Cartoon. But this is actually pretty funny, that's its Boomer shooting down Craig, his former partner. Love it. 

“This notion that there's some team in there that's going to swoop in and basically undercut what the Jets have been doing over the last three months is, is really ridiculous to me because that would be a total insult to Brian Gutekunst, who is the general manager of Green Bay.”

Rodgers has publicly voiced his intent to play for the Jets, while Packers president Mark Murphy voiced his desire for Green Bay to move on with Jordan Love as its starting quarterback. Given what Rodgers meant to the Packers franchise, the organization wouldn’t send Rodgers to a team he didn’t want to play for, especially not after there has been so much momentum towards New York.

“You do something like this and you pull out from under the New York Jets, something that it seemed like everything was trending in that way that it was going to get done quickly, would be such a blight on his reputation within the NFL,” Boomer said.

“Remember I was talking about, you know, Joe Douglas, and, and they were asking him, are you gonna pivot to Lamar Jackson? What did he say? He said, ‘no, that would be disingenuous, it would be unprofessional.’ When I hear about all these other crazy scenarios, I'm like, guys, man, these people have reputations in the league and you want to be ethical within the league itself and you want to do the right thing.”

There probably is some type of validity to Carton's latest rumor.  I would imagine he has a lot of contacts through his gambling days.

• WTF? 1

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

I continue to believe this is a Woody thing.  Did it with Sanchez, did it with Geno, did it with Darnold.  

“By golly, if I am going to pay my hard-inherited money for a rookie QB, I want him playing from day 1!!!”

I will go to my grave believing that starting Zach—and bringing him into camp unopposed— was a concession to Team Wilson as a precondition to letting their darling boy get drafted by the QB woodchipper that is the Jets. San Fran had come all the way up to 3, the Eagles were trying to trade up for Zach, and both of those situations were obviously better landing spots for him. Steve Young, pre-draft and in a funereal tone, said that Douglas had “recruited the family” and Zach would be a Jet. I think there were demands and those demands were met. No way does Saleh—who made Sauce Gardner beat out Bryce Hall for the CB1 job—just hand over his future to a fresh-faced Utahn lad like that, in May, before the kid ever stepped foot in New Jersey

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Douglas’ biggest mistake was not throwing big $ at Doug Pederson to become Jets coach after being let go by Eagles in 2020. He develops QBs. I understand he may have wanted to take a break but JD had a relationship with him and could not take no for an answer. Opportunity lost!

Doug Pederson chose Trevor Lawrence over his relationship with Joe Douglas.  Even he knew coming in here to try to "fix" Zach Wilson would have been career suicide.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Doug Pederson chose Trevor Lawrence over his relationship with Joe Douglas.  Even he knew coming in here to try to "fix" Zach Wilson would have been career suicide.

They had just hired Urban Meyer, there is no way that Pederson could have known the Jags job would be available the next year. He wanted to, and did sit out a year.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Pure conjecture. I agree he probably saw TL as having the higher upside but to say it would be career suicide to go with Zach. Wilson is crazy.

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Don’t think it had anything to do with the Jags or Lawrence. They had Urban. I think he probably wanted time off and I also suspect Douglas was always more likely to hire a first time HC. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

@Warfish@jgb@Maxman this is a non schtick post: I still think Zach can become  be a top 5 NFL QB for the Jets.  Fight me!!  (Or not lol)

I think MLF makes for a very convenient scapegoat for those who still cling to hope that one of the biggest QB busts in NFL history, Zach Wilson, was actually just an innocent victim, and not in any way personally responsible for his own extremely low-level production/performance in his first two injury-plagued seasons.  Creating a scapegoat was likely, in part, why JD (and Saleh) cut ties to MLF, since JD is clearly (in my view) like you Hal, a Wilson fan.  It buys them time, and it buys Wilson time.

There is no need to fight you.  The tape of Zach's play, such that it is, is there for everyone to see.  Each viewer can judge for themselves.  

Zach Wilson becoming a "top 5 QB for the Jets" would be a wonderful thing. 

But it's also extremely unlikely at this point, almost historically unlikely.  Odds say he's going to go down in history as a top 10 worst bust, and perhaps the Jets worst bust of all time.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

As down as I am on Wilson right now, I think he is very fortunate that he will, likely, be sticking around.  I, honestly, believe that this specific situation (resetting, sitting, and learning from Aaron for 1-2 years) gives him the best chance of recovering his career.

I agree.  The chance is very, very low.  But it's still the best chance.

Keep in mind, if Zach were to become what Hal says he will, a top 5 QB, it would be something this league has never seen before.  No top-drafted NFL QB has been as deeply bad and unproductive and injured as Zach Wilson for their first two full seasons, literally the 32nd QB in the NFL both years, then been benched for two years, then turned it around to become a top 5 NFL QB.  It would be historic.  A miracle, even.  It has simply never, ever happened.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I will go to my grave believing that starting Zach—and bringing him into camp unopposed— was a concession to Team Wilson as a precondition to letting their darling boy get drafted by the QB woodchipper that is the Jets. San Fran had come all the way up to 3, the Eagles were trying to trade up for Zach, and both of those situations were obviously better landing spots for him. Steve Young, pre-draft and in a funereal tone, said that Douglas had “recruited the family” and Zach would be a Jet. I think there were demands and those demands were met. No way does Saleh—who made Sauce Gardner beat out Bryce Hall for the CB1 job—just hand over his future to a fresh-faced Utahn lad like that, in May, before the kid ever stepped foot in New Jersey

To play devils advocate, they would’ve needed to lock in, have those conversations, and make promises really early in the process. Before seeing him and others throw live, meetings, that kind of stuff. The 49ers traded up to the third pick in late March, think that was Wilson’s Pro Day - so free agency was long gone by then.

Not that Douglas wouldn’t have done that, but man what a terrible process if he did.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I think MLF makes for a very convenient scapegoat for those who still cling to hope that one of the biggest QB busts in NFL history, Zach Wilson, was actually just an innocent victim, and not in any way personally responsible for his own extremely low-level production/performance in his first two injury-plagued seasons.  Likely in part why JD cut ties to MLF, since JD is clearly (in my view) like you Hal, a Wilson fan.

There is no need to fight you.  The tape of Zach's play, such that it is, is there for everyone to see.  Each viewer can judge for themselves.  

Zach Wilson becoming a "top 5 QB for the Jets" would be a wonderful thing. 

But it's also extremely unlikely at this point, almost historically unlikely.  Odds say he's going to go down in history as a top 10 worst bust, and perhaps the Jets worst bust of all time.

Agreed, zach becoming even a serviceable qb at this point would be THE greatest statistical outlier in history of sports, I'm not counting on it.

However, I don't think you can dismiss MLF either. He was a driving force behind drafting Zach wilson. When I close my eyes, I can still see him grinning ear to ear at zachs pro day. He got to hand select a qb to run his system with the #2 pick and then consistently tried to force Zach to play in manner he was unable to/uncomfortable with. He never budged in trying to adapt a system around Zach. The reason Zach was drafted was MLF was 100% positive he could execute in his scheme! He totally failed in his projection of zachs abilities then failed again to adapt to what he had. This is why MLF is gone. Now it's highly likely Zach would stink regardless based on what we've seen but MLF did himself no favors. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Agreed, zach becoming even a serviceable qb at this point would be THE greatest statistical outlier in history of sports, I'm not counting on it.

However, I don't think you can dismiss MLF either. He was a driving force behind drafting Zach wilson. When I close my eyes, I can still see him grinning ear to ear at zachs pro day. He got to hand select a qb to run his system with the #2 pick and then consistently tried to force Zach to play in manner he was unable to/uncomfortable with. He never budged in trying to adapt a system around Zach. The reason Zach was drafted was MLF was 100% positive he could execute in his scheme! He totally failed in his projection of zachs abilities then failed again to adapt to what he had. This is why MLF is gone. Now it's highly likely Zach would stink regardless based on what we've seen but MLF did himself no favors. 

Offensive Coordinators do not control draft picks.

General Managers, supported by the Scouting Dept., the Head Coach and THEN the Offensive Coordinator perhaps, controls those picks.

Respectfully, MLF could have loved Wilson, certainly that's the narrative now out there, but JD made the pick.  JD is 100% responsible for it, and it's results.

The good things is if we do in fact get Rodgers, we'll get to see if the MLF cause is or isn't valid.  If it was MLF at fault, I expect repressed and mistreated Zach would blossom now under our new Rodgers-beloved O-Co.  If the guy is good enough for HOF Rodgers, surely he's good enough for Zach Wilson, right?

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I agree.  The chance is very, very low.  But it's still the best chance.

Keep in mind, if Zach were to become what Hal says he will, a top 5 QB, it would be something this league has never seen before.  No top-drafted NFL QB has been as deeply bad and unproductive and injured as Zach Wilson for their first two full seasons, literally the 32nd QB in the NFL both years, then been benched for two years, then turned it around to become a top 5 NFL QB.  It would be historic.  A miracle, even.  It has simply never, ever happened.

Only guy that had even close to a turnaround like that was Alex Smith. And he wasn't as bad as Wilson has been. We also don't have Andy Reid to save him. We have a defensive HC. So Hackett would have to be a magician in these next couple years as well as knowledge actually translating to the field from watching and listening to AR (assuming we get him). Too many things have to go right for it to actually work for Wilson. So that's why I don't think it happens. For me Ideally we grab a guy next draft in that 2nd-4th round area and let them sit and learn hopefully for another year under Rodgers and with Hackett. And then depending on what we decide on Wilson's 5th year option after this season (likely depends on if we have AR still and who we draft) and have an open competition at QB with that guy who got to sit and develop for a season and possibly Wilson (if we picked up his option) after sitting and possibly learning for 2 years.