Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

My first thought is that maybe Rodgers and the Packers tweaked the contract to make it more favorable for everybody and we made some concessions for it.

Damn. I knew posting the #8 post before completing that post would backfire 

espn saying jets are SB contenders 

• Haha 1

It’s finally ******* over.

I’m ok with the pick swap.  I don’t totally love the conditions…UNLESS Rodgers plays 2 years.  I knew the conditions were going to change; I just really didn’t want them to go the “snap count” route that I suggested a couple of weeks ago.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

what the actual F is this deal?? i mean I trust joe and he has been excellent but how the hell do we switch firsts and also give next year first plus this year second rounder? jesus christ. Terrrible deal seems to me

They should fire JD now

• Upvote 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

I want to see if there were some concessions made with the contract before I get churlish in these streets

Better hope we get a chip this year, because the likeliest scenario is a divisional round loss followed by Rodgers retiring and the Jets being in the exact same place w/r/t quarterback that they were in January 2022, only now they don’t have a first round pick and their cap looks like Sonny on the slab in Bonasera’s basement.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

what the actual F is this deal?? i mean I trust joe and he has been excellent but how the hell do we switch firsts and also give next year first plus this year second rounder? jesus christ. Terrrible deal seems to me

This deal suggest JD didn't have "All the leverage"....   Honestly I would have been happy with two second rounders:)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean if Rodgers isn't good you certainly don't let him play 65% of the snaps. You chalk it up to an L and keep the pick.

As a person who has watched every snap Rodgers has ever played I would bet my house that Rodgers will be good.

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If they don't make the playoffs, JD and Saleh are gone with the wind, IMO

At that point a competent owner would step and ensure Rodgers sits, probably have to fire them mid-season for that. 

We know that wont happen. Rodgers will be shut down if he sucks but the worst case scenario is that he plays at a similar level to last season and the Jets win 8 games. 

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Better hope we get a chip this year, because the likeliest scenario is a divisional round loss followed by Rodgers retiring and the Jets being in the exact same place w/r/t quarterback that they were in January 2022, only now they don’t have a first round pick and their cap looks like Sonny on the slab in Bonasera’s basement.

Or, Rodgers gets away from a guy he hated in Gutenkunst, Saleh lets him and Hackett make up plays in the dirt, they have a reasonably good run through the AFC east, and Rodgers gives us another year because he’s the king of the franchise and wants to bury Green Bay. Regardless, if Rodgers plays most of the year, the 2024 pick is mid-20’s and you weren’t sniffing a QB1 anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, ptisme said:

As a person who has watched every snap Rodgers has ever played I would bet my house that Rodgers will be good.

Congrats @ptisme, that's more value then most of us would have like to give up. I would have been ok if the condition for next year was making the playoffs. In the end, you were spot on the other day when you said GB shouldn't beat the risk of the team stinking around rodgers.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Irish Jet said:

At that point a competent owner would step and ensure Rodgers sits, probably have to fire them mid-season for that. 

We know that wont happen. Rodgers will be shut down if he sucks but the worst case scenario is that he plays at a similar level to last season and the Jets win 8 games. 

If he plays at a similar level to last season and our defense maintains its level of play (I HUGE IF because I fear they could regress), I think the Jets are in contention for a wild card. 

13 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’m ok with the pick swap.  I don’t totally love the conditions…UNLESS Rodgers plays 2 years.  I knew the conditions were going to change; I just really didn’t want them to go the “snap count” route that I suggested a couple of weeks ago.

Exactly how I feel. The trade is fine to me if Rodgers plays two years. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If he plays at a similar level to last season and our defense maintains its level of play (I HUGE IF because I fear they could regress), I think the Jets are in contention for a wild card. 

I mean anything but 11-12 wins has to be considered a huge failure.

It's not enough for the Jets to end the playoff drought by scraping a wild card. This team is all in. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The pick swap isn't a big deal, a 2 this year and a probably 1 next year is a lot.

Unless that 1 is #32 overall....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

It's not enough for the Jets to end the playoff drought by scraping a wild card. This team is all in. 

Well, the thing about this division is that you could win 11 games and still be a wild card. 

I also desperately want the division, but we have blown the division so many times that I'll believe it when I see it. 

2 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

If he's healthy, they need to win the East and have the first home playoff game in 20 years or whatever it is.

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The aesthetics of the pick swap makes this deal look so much worse than it really is

Nah it's the soon to be 1st that's a disaster.

The conditions are way too easily met and gives this deal serious bust potential. You know that Rodgers will play regardless of how we're doing as Saleh/Douglas' fate is tied to him. 

This is a guy who showed serious decline last year for whatever reason, was completely done with the Packers and he was 90% retired a few months ago. We still gave up a 1st and a 2nd. Brutal. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

Nah it's the soon to be 1st that's a disaster.

The conditions are way too easily met and gives this deal serious bust potential. You know that Rodgers will play regardless of how we're doing as Saleh/Douglas' fate is tied to him. 

This is a guy who was completely done with the Packers, he was 90% retired a few months ago and we gave up a 1st and a 2nd. Brutal. 

To play devil’s advocate Favre played the I’m Retired game four straight off seasons and then rolled out of bed and played at an MVP level in 2008 pre-injury and 2009. So I’m not buying the 90% retired dreck from Favre Jr. But I agree with you otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Or, Rodgers gets away from a guy he hated in Gutenkunst, Saleh lets him and Hackett make up plays in the dirt, they have a reasonably good run through the AFC east, and Rodgers gives us another year because he’s the king of the franchise and wants to bury Green Bay. Regardless, if Rodgers plays most of the year, the 2024 pick is mid-20’s and you weren’t sniffing a QB1 anyway.

Not in the mid-20s, but it could have been part of a package to trade up, or traded down to add extra picks in 2025. The one thing that was palatable to me about this whole mess was the fact that whatever we had to give up this offseason, Rodgers had the Packers over such a barrel that he could be had without mortgaging the future. Instead we have basically zero realistic possibility of acquiring a decent QB next offseason, and diminished odds of doing so the following offseason. I guess this is as good a time as any to raise the very real possibility that rather than a worldwide revenge tour, Rodgers’s 2023 looks a lot like Russell Wilson’s 2022, in which case the franchise is at the bottom of a well for the next, what, four years?

46 minutes ago, ptisme said:

I've probably got sweatshirts older than you:)

I may have joined this form before you were born ? 

Wasn’t a personal attack was just saying the NFL works as one man it’s been obvious from the beginning of time all 32 teams and owners do what’s in the best interest of the shield.

• Upvote 1

The Jets are going to be fun to watch next year. I look forward to it and hopefully may get over to a game.

Even a declined Rodgers is an extreme upgrade on Zach. If he recovers some of that MVP form with Garrett Wilson to throw to then it's gonna be happy days.

He's the most ambitious option we could have gone for. There were steadier options but none with quite the same ceiling. The trade is still objectively awful from a value perspective. 

How many picks the Jets have in this draft now? 4? 

Joe Douglas will be trading back for a mofo. 

No first round picks for the Jets! He'll convert that into a 2nd and future 2nd or something, since he gave away another pick next years after coughing up three this  year. 

Kind of got punked; surprising for a big bald guy.  Maybe they only stuck it in halfway.