Jaxon Smith-Njigba Should be Jets top Target in Round 1

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

no, no we're not. JSN is not a value pick at #13, and that's not a crazy opinion either. Granted, options are limited, but that's not the play... He's more of a round 2 guy and that's based on 2021 film... 5 recs last year man... #13 overall.. No... just no for me. 

Not going to find a WR in this class who can do the things JSN can do.  Him with Rodgers under center will be unreal.

Grab at OT at 42 and light up the scoreboard.

There are other picks that would make sense and I'd be fine with, but this is what would make the most sense to me.  Have to have high level production this year because in 11 months they're very likely QB shopping.

In 23 months, they're 100% QB shopping.

• Sympathy 1

Whomever we select with 13 is here for the long hall. AR so to speak (After Rogers). So lets ask this.... in one short season from now, our QB will not be Aaron Rodgers, and will most likely be either ZW or (fill in the blank). So which player taken at 13 in this draft will benefit our next QB a season from right now? Better Oline or better WRs? Better pass rusher or better Defensive Tackle to play alongside Q? While Rodgers would almost certainly take a top WR over a backup Tackle or over ANY defensive player, what would be best for our team starting next season, after Rodgers retire to his favorite black cave?

A GM is paid to look down the road. So, if you're Joe Douglas looking out for our future, which player at 13 makes most sense 2,3,4 years from now when our QB will not be named Aaron Rodgers?

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Nobody is suggesting the play any JAG O-linemen.  Two more picks in the top 50.  Grab an OT with one of those picks and a center right after or in round 4 if you think Stromberg will be there.

He’s just saying, that will be very Jetsy. And it Shure would

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

no, no we're not. JSN is not a value pick at #13, and that's not a crazy opinion either. Granted, options are limited, but that's not the play... He's more of a round 2 guy and that's based on 2021 film... 5 recs last year man... #13 overall.. No... just no for me. 

2021 film ....1600 yards and like 90 receptions.  Lots of film to watch with those numbers.

Vastly more production than olave and garret wilson in their draft year. 

Don't tell me you are also going to follow the argument that he put up those numbers only because the other teams were quadruple teaming both wilson and olave>?

The guy looked smooth as butter at the combine and put up elite short shuttle and 3 cone numbers.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Jets will have to trade up to 11 to get him.  Having to trade that 3rd to dump that turd elijah moore is a killer for us.

Would have to get creative like a 4th this year and a 2nd next year.  Then jump the texsns and take jsn at 11.

Then get tackle and center w/ both 2nds.

Lance Zierlein, who seems pretty plugged in with the Texans, doesn’t think they’ll be going after a WR that early. Nico Collins drafted in the second a couple years ago, John Metchie in the second last year, paid Robert Woods - thinks they will want to find snaps for all of them.

Not saying I necessarily agree with his logic, but again he’s seemed pretty plugged in to them. Was very early on them not going QB at 2 and obviously we’ll see what happens but most have come along on that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, derp said:

To both of these posts about the offensive line this year - are we certain a rookie tackle out of this class starts over Brown or Becton? And if one of those guys gets hurt, are we sure the tackle plays over AVT with Schweitzer kicking in at guard? Generally considered a raw class.

Brown is almost 40, Becton has played like 10 games in this league, Mitchell is a mid-rounder that started a few games last year and all three of those guys are coming off injuries.

AVT is great and it's a fair point that he gives us flexibility.

I wouldn't at all be upset with JSN, but I think a tackle - particularly one that run blocks well - ensures we'll have the ability to play the way we want to play even if someone ahead of him on the depth chart goes down. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Brown is almost 40, Becton has played like 10 games in this league, Mitchell is a mid-rounder that started a few games last year and all three of those guys are coming off injuries.

I wouldn't at all be upset with JSN, but I think a tackle - particularly one that run blocks well - ensures we'll have the ability to play the way we want to play even if someone ahead of him on the depth chart goes down. 

So in a year where we're going for it you're OK with using #13 overall on a backup T?

I don't think it's a crazy idea, T is a really important position, just not sure it's a great one. Not sold on it.

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

So in a year where we're going for it you're OK with using #13 overall on a backup T?

I don't think it's a crazy idea, T is a really important position, just not sure it's a great one. Not sold on it.

I get it.

I just don't believe Brown/Mekhi/Mitchell are reliable - so this pick will likely see significant playtime. 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

Jaxon-Smith-Njigba-scaled.jpg

While offensive tackle has been the hot prediction for the direction the Jets will take in round 1 of the upcoming NFL draft, the pick really should be Ohio State wide receiver Jaxon Smith-Njigba.  Why, you ask?  Why should the Jets ignore their massive needs on the offensive line in favor of another wide receiver while they already have Garrett Wilson, Allen Lazard and Corey Davis on the roster?  It’s a fair question, and here’s your answer.

In case you hadn’t heard, the Jets are in hot pursuit of Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.  A deal that is reportedly being held up at the moment by owner Woody Johnson, and rightfully so.  Johnson was reportedly spooked when Rodgers announced publicly that he viewed himself as being 90% retired just a few weeks back.  This, according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports.

As a result, the Jets were looking for “protection” against an early Rodgers retirement which would require the Packers to give the Jets a future pick if the quarterback were to walk away after one season.

With all of this in mind, it’s clear that the proper approach for the Jets to take is that they are adding a future Hall of Fame quarterback, but it’s quite likely it’s a one and done situation for Rogers.  Might it end up being two years?  Possibly.  What about three?  Extremely unlikely.  So all they know for sure is that it’s one year.  With that being the case, the team’s priority has to building an offense that will allow Rodgers to excel, and hopefully, for whoever takes over after him to do the same.

For those who have watched Rodgers over the years, one thing that is abundantly clear is the speed at which he gets the ball out of his hand when he’s playing well and his receivers are getting open is among the very best in the NFL.

If Rodgers were to work with Wilson and Smith-Njigba, he would have two receivers whose ability to create immediate separation is among the best in the NFL.  We saw it from Wilson when he won offensive rookie of the year in topping 1,100 yards with the who’s who of “why is this guy on a roster” in NFL quarterbacks.

Meanwhile, Njigba showed time and again college and again at the NFL combine that no other receiver in this class can move laterally as quickly as he can.  His measurables in Indy were in a class of their own as he topped all receivers in agility drills.  Both his 3-cone and short shuttle were tops in the class at 6.57 and 3.93 respectively.

And NFL fans are funny sometimes.  If and when you suggest a team go in a particular direction in round 1, it’s met with the suggestion that the team being discussed will have no other picks beyond the first round, meaning all other positions have been neglected.  Not the case.

Great job up front by the @BYUfootball OL to pave the way for a Christopher Brooks TD run to the right side but take a look at LT Blake Freeland (71) who helps flatten a DT and a LB one right after the other. pic.twitter.com/BK6NtSDBLv

— Glenn Naughton (@JetsPicks) January 23, 2023

Should the Jets take Njigba at 13, they could then come back and add a player such as BYU’s Blake Freeman or Matthew Bergeron of Syracuse.  Both viewed as round 2 players who can start out of the gate.  And this of course would be in addition to having Duane Brown, Mekhi Becton and Max Mitchell on the roster.

With Rodgers’ initial reads and lightning quick release, the Jets wouldn’t need Orlando Pace or Anthony Munoz up front to score points.  They would need adequate tackle play (which should be easily attainable) and a pair of receivers that keep defenses up at night.  They’ve got one, so now go get the other.

The post Jaxon Smith-Njigba Should be Jets top Target in Round 1 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Would love that plus a couple.lineman in the second 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s fun to think about. With our already great defense and having arguably the best offense in the league with that War group and Hall. But you need an OL.

What I’ve learned in watching drafts my whole life. Is don’t just a draft after each pick and even day. Wait until the draft is done to judge the draft. Let’s say we did draft JSN at 13 and there’s a huge kickback on how we should’ve went OT. What if we draft an OT at 42 who has upside like Harrison. Where that need wasn’t avoided and was still addressed early.

So on the surface I say JSN shouldn’t be the pick at 13 bc we should go OT. But JSN is 100% worthy of the 13th pick and I’d wait to see what we did at OT the rest of the draft before I’d judge the pick. 

Can you say this 3x real fast.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I get it.

I just don't believe Brown/Mekhi/Mitchell are reliable - so this pick will likely see significant playtime. 

Exactly. The OL is a crapshoot right now and you don’t invest in a 60,000,000 QB and stick him behind a potentially leaky dam. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Exactly. The OL is a crapshoot right now and you don’t invest in a 60,000,000 QB and stick him behind a potentially leaky dam. 

Exactly.  That's why you take a tackle at 42 to join the group you already have in place.

7 hours ago, Larz said:

In what universe are the packers taking #57 ?  

Do they have a choice? If initial discussions reveolved around a 2nd, then when that 2nd pick lands is irrelevant.

7 hours ago, Larz said:

I’m reading that there are 12,13 players with a first round grade in this draft. Why are you so eager to get to the worst value range in the draft?

I’m reading the same and the best value in this Draft is in Rd 2-4. Harrison & D. Jones in late 1st is good value when considering the difference between them and perhaps Broderick Jones is a quality LB or DT or Slot WR like Scott/Dell. Difference between 3rd & 5th best OT is negligible when you consider getting 2 additional players at positions of need.

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Do they have a choice? If initial discussions reveolved around a 2nd, then when that 2nd pick lands is irrelevant.

I’m reading the same and the best value in this Draft is in Rd 2-4. Harrison & D. Jones in late 1st is good value when considering the difference between them and perhaps Broderick Jones is a quality LB or DT or Slot WR like Scott/Dell. Difference between 3rd & 5th best OT is negligible when you consider getting 2 additional players at positions of need.

Ok captain Smith, since you can’t even name the players you bailed out of an impact player for, I’m going to assume that you are just obsessed with the idea of accumulating picks and not going to expect a rational explanation for the strategery.  

This fantasy among jets fans that the draft is a deadline and JD has mjolnir is mind boggling.  I’m looking to get an impact player to help Rodgers beat the chiefs.  

I take the best oline at 13, then oline again at 43. Keeping Rodgers upright is the only thing that matters now. 

• Sympathy 2

I still can’t get over how JD needs to take another Olineman with a top 20 pick. It will be 3 in 4 years. Does he not have the ability to find capable plus starters in the 2nd or 3rd round? Free agency? Trade market? It shows his incompetence, IMO. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Those are all true statements but the end kind of gets to the point that a tackle at 13 is potentially a depth piece who’d be looked at to start next year. Absolutely important, not what we usually see with first round tackles.

And I don’t think it’s outside the realm of possibility that a first round pick would be fourth or fifth up at tackle. Jets needed that last year, but honestly if it’s that likely they’ll need it this year then they should’ve done something else in the veteran market.

Fans always want flashy ... OT at 13 is what is going to happen ... The big four will be gone by the second round.

Without a better OLine Rodgers will unveil his yet to be seen headless chicken act. He isn't going to allow himself to suffer six smashed ribs ... Ala he who shall not be named.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

Ok captain Smith, since you can’t even name the players you bailed out of an impact player for, I’m going to assume that you are just obsessed with the idea of accumulating picks and not going to expect a rational explanation for the strategery.  

This fantasy among jets fans that the draft is a deadline and JD has mjolnir is mind boggling.  I’m looking to get an impact player to help Rodgers beat the chiefs.  

I take the best oline at 13, then oline again at 43. Keeping Rodgers upright is the only thing that matters now. 

^ this man is correct.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We draft Skoronski, be assured, he’s starting somewhere T or G. 

JSN would be what, receiver #4 early on behind Wilson, Davis and Lazard? Might be #3 by seasons end if he works out or Davis gets hurt? Cut Mims and trade Davis and JSN makes more sense I suppose but risky as hell. One great year then nothing. I love WR’s and always want more, but this class feels like that’s a later round thing, not up top.

But I guess we’ll see. I still hate the idea of Rodgers running for his life all year, getting disgruntled, because we repeat the same old mistakes of our past re:Oline.

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

JSN would be what, receiver #4 early on behind Wilson, Davis and Lazard? Might be #3 by seasons end if he works out or Davis gets hurt? Cut Mims and trade Davis and JSN makes more sense I suppose but risky as hell. One great year then nothing. I love WR’s and always want more, but this class feels like that’s a later round thing, not up top.

But I guess we’ll see. I still hate the idea of Rodgers running for his life all year, getting disgruntled, because we repeat the same old mistakes of our past re:Oline.

won't hurt my feelings if you put Tomlinson on the bench.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Skoronski projects as a high end guard or an average tackle. Last prospect to project as a high end guard or average tackle was AVT. Jets took him to play at his better position - guard - and use as an emergency tackle. Maybe there’s a reason Skoronski is different and will be a better tackle, but I don’t think it’s something you want to 100% bank on. You want the iOL spot as a backup.

And if drafting a guard to start was on the table, they should’ve cut Tomlinson instead of restructuring him to make him impossible to cut. If they’d cut Tomlinson, Skoronski would’ve been an awesome pick to take a shot on because he’s easily the most technically sound guy in this class. Add a swing iOL prospect and see where everyone falls. But they didn’t do that.

Skoronski also came out of high school as a center, but didn’t play the position in college and would be the highest drafted center in a long, long time. Over 20 years, maybe more.

Douglas’ mistakes on the offensive line stem from forcing veteran depth, not leaving room for developmental prospects drafted in the mid rounds, and then leaving big holes he needs to spend serious capital on to fill instead of back filling with young talent on the roster. Feeling like they need to spend premium capital on a tackle this year is just a continuation of that process.