Jets decline Becton's 5th year option

16 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

You can achieve the same effect by not picking up the option, having him prove it this year, and franchise tag him next year if he plays well. Makes him prove he can stay healthy 2 years in a row before rewarding him with an extension. This also takes the risk out of 2024 if he gets injured again in 2023 with a season ending injury.

They can't risk unnecessary salary on next years cap. If you think they all in this year, wait till next year when they get super active in FA to surround Rodgers for one last push. They're gonna need to spend considering they probably won't have a 1st rd pick.

The franchise tag is almost 10 million more than the option.  The option wasn’t crippling.  

Doesn’t matter now anyway, lol. 

He Gone! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You’re right, but I worded that wrong.  
I’m assuming he’ll play great because he’s finally put in the work and got into shape.  
You can’t trust him to ever do that again.  

Thus seeing the work has already been put in, picking it up forces him to do it twice before his big free agency.

I feel like not picking it up, rewards his laziness.  I’d make him get in shape 2-3 times before cutting him loose. 

All you words support the case to not extend yet you come to the conclusion that extending him was the move. I genuinely don’t understand.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The franchise tag is almost 10 million more than the option.  The option wasn’t crippling.  

Doesn’t matter now anyway, lol. 

He Gone! 

I’d rather pay 23 million for a 23 million dollar mansion than 13 million for 50 cent shack.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You’re right, but I worded that wrong.  
I’m assuming he’ll play great because he’s finally put in the work and got into shape.  
You can’t trust him to ever do that again.  

Thus seeing the work has already been put in, picking it up forces him to do it twice before his big free agency.

I feel like not picking it up, rewards his laziness.  I’d make him get in shape 2-3 times before cutting him loose. 

Ah ok ? 

I don’t doubt his talent and am actually thinking he’s going to have a bounce back season. I just wouldn’t bet the 2024 season on it, and cut off the coaches’ balls in the process by taking away any or-else consequences for this season and next. He may just need constant motivation like this until it’s become his new normal to stay in shape.

Also if he does perform this year that doesn’t therefore automatically mean he still would have if they’d exercised it by yesterday. You can’t change the ingredients and then assume the cake would’ve still tasted the same.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Think he’s eventually done with the Jets. Regardless if he plays well this year, gets tagged next year-  don’t see JD giving him a long term contract. He’s just too risky to be investing big money on. 

I don’t know. Depends on this year, but that’s kinda the point of declining his 2024 season thus far.

He could sign something similar later on that has one more year at a mid-$ starter level, and after that the team has an option for 3 more years at the big money he’s really seeking (first two guaranteed for skill, and has to be exercised by the 5th day of the 2025 season, etc). We’re nowhere near there yet. He’s not even medically cleared to play this year yet.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Imagine the message it would send to pick up the option of this player. Last year at this time his nutritionist announced this great progress he had made by finally getting under 400lbs. He’s lucky to be on the roster. 

He was such a fat **** walking into camp last year somebody harpoon this whale!!

A4CE8B1D-F6E3-4813-91EE-7197D3040A7A.png

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I agree this is goodbye .. seems like if there was a decent percentage he comes back strong ... extending him on the cheap would be  a good idea ? His price will never be lower than now. If there isn't a chance ... why not trade him for a 6th round pick ?

How will his price never be lower? Lot of assumptions baked into that statement that I sure am not comfortable with.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

I’d rather pay 23 million for a 23 million dollar mansion than 13 million for 50 cent shack.

It's way more complex than that.  The Jets know if he's going to be cleared to play this year right now.  If he's in camp healthy, even out of shape but cleared to play, he's likely starting at either Right or Left Tackle.  If he's healthy and has a good year he's likely our starting LT next year.  

If he's our starting LT next year we might have to use the franchise tag on him.  20 million plus.  Plus you can't use it on another player.

Becton gets killed for not being in shape but the Jets were the ones who put out the time line on his recovery which was completely wrong.  The Jets cleared him to practice last year when an MRI after his injury showed a chip in his knee which might have existed before he practiced last year and may have hindered his off season conditioning.

It's easy to blame Becton for being fat and lazy but the Jets leaked a lot of information on his injury which may have been lie's or at best hopeful projections.  

Yes he's a child who plays video games and is over weight.  Joe D drafted him.  The Jets coaching staff with very few high end prospects has done a bad job of really developing him and have helped create a narrative based on leaking incorrect medical opinions on his recovery.

I suspect he's a bum but if he's matured and plays well I don't see him giving the NY Jets a discount for his services in the future.   He could have a 10 plus year run as an effective NFL LT.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

It's way more complex than that.  The Jets know if he's going to be cleared to play this year right now.  If he's in camp healthy, even out of shape but cleared to play, he's likely starting at either Right or Left Tackle.  If he's healthy and has a good year he's likely our starting LT next year.  
If he's our starting LT next year we might have to use the franchise tag on him.  20 million plus.  Plus you can't use it on another player.
Becton gets killed for not being in shape but the Jets were the ones who put out the time line on his recovery which was completely wrong.  The Jets cleared him to practice last year when an MRI after his injury showed a chip in his knee which might have existed before he practiced last year and may have hindered his off season conditioning.
It's easy to blame Becton for being fat and lazy but the Jets leaked a lot of information on his injury which may have been lie's or at best hopeful projections.  
Yes he's a child who plays video games and is over weight.  Joe D drafted him.  The Jets coaching staff with very few high end prospects has done a bad job of really developing him and have helped create a narrative based on leaking incorrect medical opinions on his recovery.
I suspect he's a bum but if he's matured and plays well I don't see him giving the NY Jets a discount for his services in the future.   He could have a 10 plus year run as an effective NFL LT.  
Bingo.

First knee injury had nothing to do with him being out of shape or having "weak" knees. Two bis ass players rolled up on his knee. They didn't fully repair the damage and the next camp it gave out. Doesn't matter if he was 250 lbs, that knee wasn't going to last.

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

That so stupid .  Ruggs was going to be star in the league.   He made a stupid mistake that cost someone their life, and ruined his own life.     Wasn’t because the pick was bad .  

You forgot your other choice,  a massive reach on a Arnett who had massive character concerns and was gone as quick a Ruggs.  Picks 12 and 19 and both gone quick, and then there is the great Leatherwood pick.

Nice picks Mayock.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Biggs said:

A matryoshka of “if’s.”

22 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I’m worried he’s only motivated when the fire is close to his feet. If he’s has two years in the bank, concerned motivation will go over the cliff.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

A matryoshka of “if’s.”

I’m worried he’s only motivated when the fire is close to his feet. If he’s has two years in the bank, concerned motivation will go over the cliff.

Yet we still haven't replaced him with a starting Tackle. 

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Yet we still haven't replaced him with a starting Tackle. 

He still hasn’t demonstrated that (a) he is one; (b) can sustain as one even if he does have a good year.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jgb said:

He still hasn’t demonstrated that (a) he is one; (b can remain one if he does have a good year.

He's rookie year was the best tackle play we have had in a long time.  When healthy he is a quality starting LT in the NFL.  AVT when healhty was a quality starting NFL tackle.  It's not ideal that AVT starts at tackle this year.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

He's rookie year was the best tackle play we have had in a long time.  When healthy he is a quality starting LT in the NFL.  AVT when healhty was a quality starting NFL tackle.  It's not ideal that AVT starts at tackle this year.  

Again, I think we disagree on the likelihood of the assumptions becoming fact. Which is fine. We just disagree.

We also have ways to control his rights if he surprises me.

4 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

That so stupid .  Ruggs was going to be star in the league.   He made a stupid mistake that cost someone their life, and ruined his own life.     Wasn’t because the pick was bad .  

He sure wasn't playing up to that hype for the Raiduhs.  What was stupid, was MayCock drafting  Ruggs before Cee Dee lamb and Jefferson.  He wasn't even close to those two.  

I love the Raiduhs.  Everything they do is guaranteed to be stupid.  

58 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He sure wasn't playing up to that hype for the Raiduhs.  What was stupid, was MayCock drafting  Ruggs before Cee Dee lamb and Jefferson.  He wasn't even close to those two.  

I love the Raiduhs.  Everything they do is guaranteed to be stupid.  

Ruggs also didn’t make a “stupid mistake.” He committed a reckless act with no regard for society.

• Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

And since then that season it's not like situation with him hasn't radically changed:

• In between his quality starting and today, we also saw him tap out because - at age 21 ffs - he was too exhausted to stay on the field for half the team's snaps with commercial breaks in between.
  • Then he showed up to early camp / OTAs in shaky enough shape to get embarrassed in practice by a veteran who'd never before (or since) achieved even a single 10-sack season, making the GM go harder after a full starter for depth in Morgan Moses.
  • Then the year after that, while the injury itself may not be on him, and his timeline for healing a bit optimistic, the team clearly was disappointed in the work he was doing himself to help his own healing back into game shape -- even late in the season they all thought he should've been able to appear in at least the latter month or so, but eventually they just shut it down to end any questions about it. 
  • Then he ballooned up to over 400 (or was it 410?) pounds and conspicuously stayed away from voluntary workouts, or even flying up to be so much as a car-ride away from the team. Yeah his gf was pregnant but they have airplanes and if it meant getting their stud young tackle in I'm sure Woody would've let Mekhi fly back immediately if she went into sudden labor. As likely as not staying home for extra weeks was so no one - coaches in particular - would see how fat he'd gotten firsthand. The fans didn't even hear how much he'd put on until much later.
  • Then even after dropping into the 360s-370s, he was still in such shaky-looking shape they were bringing in other prior-season veteran starters from Riley Reiff to Duane Brown, and his early-August injury surely made Brown's demand price - and necessity - go way up.
  • THEN finally fast-forward to early 2023, and Becton's showing off the results of hitting the gym like he was paid & expected to do this whole time. I'm thrilled to see it, but he's awfully proud of himself for doing what was expected all this time; not yet performing on the field.

If he makes it through the summer, and then is looking anything like he should on the field, the window for extending him past 2023 - for less than the franchise tag amount - hasn't closed just because they didn't guarantee his 2024 season a year in advance (with a fully guaranteed big pay raise, to boot). Far from it.

Also I don't blindly accept the premise that, if he is successful this year like we all want/hope, that it still would've happened the exact same way if his upcoming two seasons were already fully guaranteed. If he balls out all season, I accept this as at least a potentially necessary means to an end until staying in shape for more than just 3-4 offseason months is his new normal.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And since then that season it's not like situation with him hasn't radically changed:

• In between his quality starting and today, we also saw him tap out because - at age 21 ffs - he was too exhausted to stay on the field for half the team's snaps with commercial breaks in between.
  • Then he showed up to early camp / OTAs in shaky enough shape to get embarrassed in practice by a veteran who'd never before (or since) achieved even a single 10-sack season, making the GM go harder after a full starter for depth in Morgan Moses.
  • Then the year after that, while the injury itself may not be on him, and his timeline for healing a bit optimistic, the team clearly was disappointed in the work he was doing himself to help his own healing back into game shape -- even late in the season they all thought he should've been able to appear in at least the latter month or so, but eventually they just shut it down to end any questions about it. 
  • Then he ballooned up to over 400 (or was it 410?) pounds and conspicuously stayed away from voluntary workouts, or even flying up to be so much as a car-ride away from the team. Yeah his gf was pregnant but they have airplanes and if it meant getting their stud young tackle in I'm sure Woody would've let Mekhi fly back immediately if she went into sudden labor. As likely as not staying home for extra weeks was so no one - coaches in particular - would see how fat he'd gotten firsthand. The fans didn't even hear how much he'd put on until much later.
  • Then even after dropping into the 360s-370s, he was still in such shaky-looking shape they were bringing in other prior-season veteran starters from Riley Reiff to Duane Brown, and his early-August injury surely made Brown's demand price - and necessity - go way up.
  • THEN finally fast-forward to early 2023, and Becton's showing off the results of hitting the gym like he was paid & expected to do this whole time. I'm thrilled to see it, but he's awfully proud of himself for doing what was expected all this time; not yet performing on the field.

If he makes it through the summer, and then is looking anything like he should on the field, the window for extending him past 2023 - for less than the franchise tag amount - hasn't closed just because they didn't guarantee his 2024 season a year in advance (with a fully guaranteed big pay raise, to boot). Far from it.

Also I don't blindly accept the premise that, if he is successful this year like we all want/hope, that it still would've happened the exact same way if his upcoming two seasons were already fully guaranteed. If he balls out all season, I accept this as at least a potentially necessary means to an end until staying in shape for more than just 3-4 offseason months is his new normal.

There is so much "hope" for him to get past all that.  And "all that" is already a storied history.  I can see why they wanted Jones so badly only to get sniped.

44 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

•  

I

You ignore the fact that the Jets were the ones that put out the timetable on the rehab.  The Jets failed to get an MRI on him when he was having issues in TC last year before discovering the chipped knee cap.  

Saleh did the same thing with Zach's injury.  Saleh is a very optimistic guy.  You seem to have bought into it completely.  

You act as if the Jets have actually handled injured players truthfully and rehabed them perfectly.  The NFL and teams generally have not been either forthrigh or handled injuries to players in the players best interest for years. 

You're completely ignoring the possability that Becton was hurt worse than the team reported, he rehabed hard last year with an unstable knee that broke down completely in TC last year.  The MRI they finally got last year was after he was limping in camp.  

I suspect Douglas actually interviewed Becton before drafting him ahead of Whirfs who was on the board.

I hate the player.  Wouldn't have drafted him.  I also know the Jets and NFL teams lie about injuries, handle them poorly all the time and generally see injured players as worthless drains on the bottom line.  

20 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Been saying this for months and was shocked that many people were actually combating it. Right now there is no future with him. He will need to have a monster year and prove that he can actually play a full season. Even then I wouldn’t give him a long-term deal. It would be a franchise tag and make him prove it two years in a row. 

If by 'monster year' you mean stay healthy and be a starter on the o-line at either T position. That's all it will take for the Jets to either give him a a new contract or tag him.

Barring injury, Becton starting would mean he plays well enough to beat out one of Brown, Mitchell, or the rookie (Warren). He doesn't have to be a Pro Bowler. Sure, he has to show some of that potential we saw as a rookie. He has to stay/be in shape. But he doesn't need to have a 'monster' year. Far from it. Even if he gets hurt and misses a few games but plays well as a starter, my guess is the Jets will still either tag him or give him a new deal.  

So I'm not sure why you were so shocked that people were suggesting that picking up his option would be financially prudent. It would have been 13.5 mil instead of a 20mil tag. And right now he's clearly motivated and in great shape. Obviously a gamble and they decided not to do it. But not sure why you were 'shocked' that some were suggesting the Jets do it. 

gasp GIF 

• More Ugh 1

17 minutes ago, PepPep said:

If by 'monster year' you mean stay healthy and be a starter on the o-line at either T position. That's all it will take for the Jets to either give him a a new contract or tag him.

Barring injury, Becton starting would mean he plays well enough to beat out one of Brown, Mitchell, or the rookie (Warren). He doesn't have to be a Pro Bowler. Sure, he has to show some of that potential we saw as a rookie. He has to stay/be in shape. But he doesn't need to have a 'monster' year. Far from it. Even if he gets hurt and misses a few games but plays well as a starter, my guess is the Jets will still either tag him or give him a new deal.  

So I'm not sure why you were so shocked that people were suggesting that picking up his option would be financially prudent. It would have been 13.5 mil instead of a 20mil tag. And right now he's clearly motivated and in great shape. Obviously a gamble and they decided not to do it. But not sure why you were 'shocked' that some were suggesting the Jets do it. 

gasp GIF 

Because in my mind, there was 0% chance they were ever going to pick up the option and they didn’t. There’s also a very good chance that the Jets don’t see him in their long-term plans. So for him to get tagged or even thought of as a long term guy on the line, he’s gonna have to do a little bit more than just play the season. Anyway, it’s a good problem to have if he has a great year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He’s selectively motivated when his future is on the line. People Management 101 says the way to deal with such people is with successive short term goals to both build confidence from intermediate successes and hold them accountable. Picking up his 5th year option would’ve secured him beyond his perceived consequential horizon and been a grave mistake — one I am happy the Jets did not make.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

There is so much "hope" for him to get past all that.  And "all that" is already a storied history.  I can see why they wanted Jones so badly only to get sniped.

Is that actually known they wanted Jones that badly? I didn't see that anywhere other than fans guessing & assuming so, but maybe I missed it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

You ignore the fact that the Jets were the ones that put out the timetable on the rehab.  The Jets failed to get an MRI on him when he was having issues in TC last year before discovering the chipped knee cap.  

Saleh did the same thing with Zach's injury.  Saleh is a very optimistic guy.  You seem to have bought into it completely.  

You act as if the Jets have actually handled injured players truthfully and rehabed them perfectly.  The NFL and teams generally have not been either forthrigh or handled injuries to players in the players best interest for years. 

You're completely ignoring the possability that Becton was hurt worse than the team reported, he rehabed hard last year with an unstable knee that broke down completely in TC last year.  The MRI they finally got last year was after he was limping in camp.  

I suspect Douglas actually interviewed Becton before drafting him ahead of Whirfs who was on the board.

I hate the player.  Wouldn't have drafted him.  I also know the Jets and NFL teams lie about injuries, handle them poorly all the time and generally see injured players as worthless drains on the bottom line.  

You're making hay of & reading way too much of that. 

They put a timetable on it based on Becton's initial med results, but were still waiting for more info, and were just sharing what info they had at the time. Then when more info came in like a day or two later, with worse news, they then shared that as well & IR'd him.

The real assumption is one you're making here, imo, which is that Becton rehabbed hard last year. A broken kneecap doesn't occur because of an under-diagnosis of a ligament, so far as I'm aware (though admit it's not my expertise). 

No one wishes they still drafted Becton over Wirfs, so you've got good company there, including me.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Is that actually known they wanted Jones that badly? I didn't see that anywhere other than fans guessing & assuming so, but maybe I missed it.

It seems like everyone is just assuming that the Jets wanted one of the Top 4 OT’s and it didn’t matter which one.

I don’t buy it for a second

I wouldn’t be surprised if the plan was always to go in another direction unless a guy like Skoronski fell to them.

And Broderick Jones was the least appealing of any of them.

It’s ridiculous seeing so many in the media and the fanbase completely dumbfounded.

“You’d think with the Jets being all-in, they would take one of the OT’s”

The OT that was going to play the role of backup swing tackle this year unless something happened to Brown/Becton.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

It seems like everyone is just assuming that the Jets wanted one of the Top 4 OT’s and it didn’t matter which one.

I don’t buy it for a second

I wouldn’t be surprised if the plan was always to go in another direction unless a guy like Skoronski fell to them.

And Broderick Jones was the least appealing of any of them.

It’s ridiculous seeing so many in the media and the fanbase completely dumbfounded.

The OT that was going to play the role of backup swing tackle his rookie year unless something happened to Brown/Becton.

Other than an inability to affirm which was the best & worst OT prospect from this group, yes I agree with all this.

In particular this is the statement I have trouble with. These weren't the best of the best OT prospects from the past or future couple draft classes, or even close to it. They weren't generational (to use an overused term) or uniquely talented OT prospects either.

What they clearly targeted was to start one rookie, and that was to be at center. If they wanted otherwise, they'd have secured McGovern or someone equivalent far earlier than draft week and/or wouldn't have played such hardball with him to get his dollars down that low. 

A team that's "all-in" on this season doesn't have a primary goal of starting two rookie offensive linemen. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Other than an inability to affirm which was the best & worst OT prospect from this group, yes I agree with all this.

In particular this is the statement I have trouble with. These weren't the best of the best OT prospects from the past or future couple draft classes, or even close to it. They weren't generational (to use an overused term) or uniquely talented OT prospects either.

What they clearly targeted was to start one rookie, and that was to be at center. If they wanted otherwise, they'd have secured McGovern or someone equivalent far earlier than draft week and/or wouldn't have played such hardball with him to get his dollars down that low. 

A team that's "all-in" on this season doesn't have a primary goal of starting two rookie offensive linemen. 

Agreed

Brown may be nearing 40, but you could still routinely find the guy blocking his ass off 15+ yards downfield last year with a bum shoulder. He’s absolutely going to be the starting LT this year.

Becton is a total question mark when it comes to his ability to stay healthy, but he flashed as a rookie and the Jets have a Top 12 pick invested in him. He should finally be below 350 lbs this year (as I said he should be from the moment we drafted him) so maybe he turns things around. If not, then that’s why you have guys like Turner, Mitchell and Warren (and AVT for that matter).

Jets fans have totally overcorrected since the Maccagnan era. Now half the fanbase acts like it’s impossible to get a good, quality OL outside of the 1st round.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, I'm going by one of this board's insiders who said Jones was definitely the guy they wanted at 15.  Blind faith.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Yeah, I'm going by one of this board's insiders who said Jones was definitely the guy they wanted at 15.  Blind faith.

One of them also said they guy they wanted was a RB, no? 

And if they did want to start a rookie tackle and a rookie center then good, this saved them from their own stupid plan.