Jets decline Becton's 5th year option

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Would've been fine with it one way or the other.  Jets luck will mean he stays healthy, plays well and commands huge money.

If he does and the Jets tag him, they're looking at around $20 million for next season.

Hope that's the way it goes.

Listen I hope he is the best O-Lineman in the NFL next season.  If he is I still wouldn’t pay him anything in the future we’ve seen this before during FA seasons guys put in 1 year worth of work to get paid and then start popping champagne at 9 AM for their IG post.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

If Becton makes it to the halfway point starting and playing well without injury concerns, I expect JD to try to sign Becton to an extension before he has to compete with other teams on terms. 

If I pick six correct numbers before a drawing and purchase that ticket, I could be a millionaire.

Same odds

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

For the record:  I would've picked it up.  

I've posted this a few times before, but Becton is getting in shape because he thinks THIS is his big money season.  By picking it up you force him to play great two years in a row.  

I would NEVER extend him even if he's the greatest player in the league this year. 

Hopefully he plays like he can and we can trade him for something in the offseason after tagging him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I've posted this a few times before, but Becton is getting in shape because he thinks THIS is his big money season.  By picking it up you force him to play great two years in a row.  

I would NEVER extend him even if he's the greatest player in the league this year. 

Hopefully he plays like he can and we can trade him for something in the offseason after tagging him. 

I was defending him last year when it looked like he was getting into shape and everyone was trashing him. I was proved wrong after about 3 snaps. Im not sure this guy can actually stay healthy in the NFL at his size. I agree with you on never giving him a long term extension, even if he somehow makes ot through this year

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’d pay an embarrassing amount to watch that.

Don’t be too sure 80. I thought that Lingerie League would be my favorite tv sport ever and I couldn’t watch it longer 15 minutes. 
if I couldn’t last that long watching women play half naked, I’d never bother to try watching a bunch of fat guys.

btw you have no idea how difficult it was not to laugh at myself while talking about how long I could last with half naked women

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Get that #1 back next year?

• Upvote 1

I get it. Makes sense. OBVIOUSLY everyone here is still rooting for him because what a bonus it would be to have the best version of him in front of AR
Are they rooting for him? If he plays well and stays healthy, so many people are going to look like idiots. Don't underestimate the need for people to be right, even if it hurts the team.
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Don’t be too sure 80. I thought that Lingerie League would be my favorite tv sport ever and I didn't need to watch it longer 15 minutes. 
if I couldn’t last that long watching women play half naked, I’d never bother to try watching a bunch of fat guys.

btw you have no idea how difficult it was not to laugh at myself while talking about how long I could last with half naked women

Fixed for accuracy 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

This was my thought but I’m not upset they are making him prove it.  Tough call either way.  

5 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Listen I hope he is the best O-Lineman in the NFL next season.  If he is I still wouldn’t pay him anything in the future we’ve seen this before during FA seasons guys put in 1 year worth of work to get paid and then start popping champagne at 9 AM for their IG post.

"This" season ;)... & if Mekhi plays exceptionally well this season, I would tag him for next season... Then talk possible contract.

Only way Becton stays motivated is to keep him hungry (figuratively not literally). I wouldn’t hand this guy more than upcoming season’s pay — even if he balls this year. Too much risk of backsliding. He’d need at least two locked in years in a row for me to consider an extension. If he absolutely crushes this year, franchise or transition tag him.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Actually by picking it up you force him to play great zero years in a row; certainly not this year.

I don’t think there’s a GM in the league that would’ve picked up a fully guaranteed pay raise by this date based on his body of work thus far. He’s not the type that teams would be throwing $20MM/year at his feet just because he finally made it through one full season.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually by picking it up you force him to play great zero years in a row; certainly not this year.

I don’t think there’s a GM in the league that would’ve picked up a fully guaranteed pay raise by this date based on his body of work thus far. He’s not the type that teams would be throwing $20MM/year at his feet just because he finally made it through one full season.

You’re right, but I worded that wrong.  
I’m assuming he’ll play great because he’s finally put in the work and got into shape.  
You can’t trust him to ever do that again.  

Thus seeing the work has already been put in, picking it up forces him to do it twice before his big free agency.

I feel like not picking it up, rewards his laziness.  I’d make him get in shape 2-3 times before cutting him loose. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Think he’s eventually done with the Jets. Regardless if he plays well this year, gets tagged next year-  don’t see JD giving him a long term contract. He’s just too risky to be investing big money on. 

Agreed.  By not picking it up they’re saying goodbye. 

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Agreed.  By not picking it up they’re saying goodbye. 

I agree this is goodbye .. seems like if there was a decent percentage he comes back strong ... extending him on the cheap would be  a good idea ? His price will never be lower than now. If there isn't a chance ... why not trade him for a 6th round pick ?

Edited by Dunnie

an awful lot of negative comments about becton.  is it his fault he got injured? i guess people can say he was out of shape but getting a dislocated knee cap?  that seems like a pretty strange injury. we'll see what happens.  just like most players it's what between his ears that counts most.

12 hours ago, SayNoToDMC said:

I was defending him last year when it looked like he was getting into shape and everyone was trashing him. I was proved wrong after about 3 snaps. Im not sure this guy can actually stay healthy in the NFL at his size. I agree with you on never giving him a long term extension, even if he somehow makes ot through this year

I wasn't defending him last year. Well into May it was obvious he was out of shape and overweight. He went on a crash diet to lose a few pounds before training camp but still came in way too heavy and they knee couldn't sustain it. Crash diets work for me trying to lose a couple lbs before beach season, they dont work for professional athletes who have to absorb thee impact of 300lb men 60 snaps a game. I never bought in last year.

I'm bought in this year. He's changed his mentality and reshaped himself over the course of the year. He's at least put himself in a position to succeed and I'm rooting for the guy.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

You’re right, but I worded that wrong.  
I’m assuming he’ll play great because he’s finally put in the work and got into shape.  
You can’t trust him to ever do that again.  

Thus seeing the work has already been put in, picking it up forces him to do it twice before his big free agency.

I feel like not picking it up, rewards his laziness.  I’d make him get in shape 2-3 times before cutting him loose. 

You can achieve the same effect by not picking up the option, having him prove it this year, and franchise tag him next year if he plays well. Makes him prove he can stay healthy 2 years in a row before rewarding him with an extension. This also takes the risk out of 2024 if he gets injured again in 2023 with a season ending injury.

They can't risk unnecessary salary on next years cap. If you think they all in this year, wait till next year when they get super active in FA to surround Rodgers for one last push. They're gonna need to spend considering they probably won't have a 1st rd pick.

• Upvote 2