Jets decline Becton's 5th year option

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

One of them also said they guy they wanted was a RB, no? 

And if they did want to start a rookie tackle and a rookie center then good, this saved them from their own stupid plan.

not to my knowledge.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I trust his info so far. He said here more than once that B Jones was the guy. When Steelers traded up (as they would likely have attempted if we were at 13) And no trade down partner could be uncovered as the clock wound down, JD could have taken anything on the board. Maybe there was a consensus for McDonald or maybe not.  But I'm sure Robert Saleh was all in on McDonald and that's how they went.  Now who said the jets wanted a RB at 15? I'm glad I missed that one. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

not to my knowledge.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I trust his info so far. He said here more than once that B Jones was the guy. When Steelers traded up (as they would likely have attempted if we were at 13) And no trade down partner could be uncovered as the clock wound down, JD could have taken anything on the board. Maybe there was a consensus for McDonald or maybe not.  But I'm sure Robert Saleh was all in on McDonald and that's how they went.  Now who said the jets wanted a RB at 15? I'm glad I missed that one. 

I did see it here that night or the next day, but it might take some work to find (I guess search the names of the two guys drafted).

Either way what I'm glad about is they're not starting two rookies on the line. I like the (theoretical) upgrade at center. For the rest I'm satisfied with the two starters if they stay healthy and the tackle depth if one or more doesn't. 

Tackles are quite often below average as rookies, even for those that eventually pan out.

Even if it's accurate they did want Jones at 15 I'm not crying over it. Ask me in 2-3 years and I'll tell you how I feel about it ;).

He's gonna be somewhere between Walter Jones/Jon Ogden to Isaiah Wilson. Really up to him. Right now, closer to Wilson on the continuum.

Wilson was drafted in the same round at the same position and has now washed out of football after being with 3 teams. 

16 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Actually by picking it up you force him to play great zero years in a row; certainly not this year.

I don’t think there’s a GM in the league that would’ve picked up a fully guaranteed pay raise by this date based on his body of work thus far. He’s not the type that teams would be throwing $20MM/year at his feet just because he finally made it through one full season.

I'l be happy if he makes through pancake season.

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

It seems like everyone is just assuming that the Jets wanted one of the Top 4 OT’s and it didn’t matter which one.

I don’t buy it for a second

I wouldn’t be surprised if the plan was always to go in another direction unless a guy like Skoronski fell to them.

And Broderick Jones was the least appealing of any of them.

It’s ridiculous seeing so many in the media and the fanbase completely dumbfounded.

“You’d think with the Jets being all-in, they would take one of the OT’s”

The OT that was going to play the role of backup swing tackle his rookie year unless something happened to Brown/Becton.

Eh. I actually think this is one instance where the media and sports analysts got it right. I think the Jets WERE interested in Jones and simply missed out b/c of the Pats and Steelers. Not nec. ANY of the top 4. But Jones in particular because of his athletic profile. And I think JD did not want to move up because of the limited draft capital left over after the Rodgers trade (or maybe had no option).

It took them forever to make the McDonald pick and it was clear JD was working the phones to move down. I'm sure they love the player but it def. seemed like 'Plan B'. 

As far as taking an OT. Its such an obvious need if you just look passed the potential starters for 2023 that I don't understand how an argument can be made that the Jets were NOT targeting OT in Rd. 1, suggesting that its due to the fact that the rookie 'wouldn't start'. Guess what. McDonald is not going to start. Had we drafted JSN he would not start. He would be a 'slot' and his snap count would most likely be less than Lazard, Davis and Wilson. 

Obviously, once Jones was gone they were not going to take the 5th best OT. I don't think anybody thought that was ever going to happen.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, PepPep said:

As far as taking an OT. Its such an obvious need if you just look passed the potential starters for 2023 that I don't understand how an argument can be made that the Jets were NOT targeting OT in Rd. 1, suggesting that its due to the fact that the rookie 'wouldn't start'. Guess what. McDonald is not going to start. Had we drafted JSN he would not start. He would be a 'slot' and his snap count would most likely be less than Lazard, Davis and Wilson. 

The glaring difference is OT is either getting 100% of the snaps or 0% of the snaps. There's no starting him in some ideally-suited packages & gradually increasing his playing time like an edge rusher or slot receiver. 

Apples and oranges. The only position a team drafts that early & is ok with outright benching for a year is QB.

You draft an OT in the first half of round 1 and he's starting, ready or not. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2023 at 3:37 PM, AFJF said:

Would've been fine with it one way or the other.  Jets luck will mean he stays healthy, plays well and commands huge money.

If he does and the Jets tag him, they're looking at around $20 million for next season.

Hope that's the way it goes.

I tend to agree with you.  On one hand, if he says healthy and has a monster year, then the Jets made an error by not picking up his option.  On the other hand, if Becton plays poorly or gets injured again, Joe Douglas would look stupid.  The more I think of it, I think JD made the correct decision.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The glaring difference is OT is either getting 100% of the snaps or 0% of the snaps. There's no starting him in some ideally-suited packages & gradually increasing his playing time like an edge rusher or slot receiver. 

Apples and oranges. The only position a team drafts that early & is ok with outright benching for a year is QB.

You draft an OT in the first half of round 1 and he's starting, ready or not. 

Fair. 

IMO- The Jets needed a top tier OT prospect despite having 3 potential starters in Brown, Becton and Mitchell. And that is because all 3 of those guys are huge question marks. And after this season, there's a good chance Becton and Brown will be gone.    

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hey it’s in the team’s interest for him to win the LT job and then ball out all season long, but at this time exactly what does Big Talker think tweeting this accomplishes?

It's in the teams interest that Brown plays LT and fat ass plays RT....unless you are interested in Max Mitchell being a starter.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Hey it’s in the team’s interest for him to win the LT job and then ball out all season long, but at this time exactly what does Big Talker think tweeting this accomplishes?

I wish he’d stay off social media entirely, but I -at least- like the confidence. A lot better than wearing a “big bust” t-shirt at 400lbs. By deleting it, he’s recognizing that it wasn’t the best look. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was advised to do so. But again, he did delete it, so that’s something. 

Sounds like he’s coming in hungry. That’s a good thing, as an analogy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think it’s probably better for us if Brown starts at LT and Becton has a really good camp and starts at RT

Maybe. At this point in their careers Becton is the better talent, and they have enough guys who can play RT without the sky falling down.

The only thing with Brown is he's never played RT before. I don't know that he can't do it (and do it as well or better than all the backups). Also at age 38 I don't expect him to have a big baby ego about it, but yeah it'd be his first time.

I suppose based on that it'd be better with him at LT and Becton at RT, but in a vacuum the team's best off with its best talent playing at his best blocking the QB's blindside. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Maybe. At this point in their careers Becton is the better talent, and they have enough guys who can play RT without the sky falling down.

The only thing with Brown is he's never played RT before. I don't know that he can't do it (and do it as well or better than all the backups). Also at age 38 I don't expect him to have a big baby ego about it, but yeah it'd be his first time.

I suppose based on that it'd be better with him at LT and Becton at RT, but in a vacuum the team's best off with its best talent playing at his best blocking the QB's blindside. 

I would personally love it if Becton won LT because it’s the best overall potential, but my guess is this coaching staff is more likely to opt for Becton at RT and Brown at LT, but maybe that’s wrong. 

what’s most important to me is that the two best tackles play - i suspect that’s brown and Becton in some fashion, if Becton can actually stay healthy. 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would personally love it if Becton won LT because it’s the best overall potential, but my guess is this coaching staff is more likely to opt for Becton at RT and Brown at LT, but maybe that’s wrong. 

what’s most important to me is that the two best tackles play - i suspect that’s brown and Becton in some fashion, if Becton can actually stay healthy. 

Agreed.  But just because Becton hypothetically starts the season at RT doesn’t mean he finishes there.  Brown is very old. The odds of him staying healthy for 17 games is pretty low.  

Becton’s services will be needed at LT.  He needs to stay ready….and hungry.  @slats

• Upvote 1

On 5/3/2023 at 2:53 PM, Dcat said:

Dane Brugler, who does good work. The lions GM was defending the pick by saying that “other teams” in the top 20 were going to snap Gibbs up, so it was now or never for the Lions. Brugler, on the Athletic pod, said the Jets were “definitely interested.” In light of the eventual McDonald pick, it makes sense. Douglas and co were going to take a dynamic player that’ll help them on Day One, and an electric receiving back for Rodgers would make as much sense (in the short term) as a designated pass rusher. For as talented as Broderick Jones might be, the consensus was that he’s very raw and a ways away from being ready to produce at a high level in the NFL

• Upvote 4