Jets decline Becton's 5th year option

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dane Brugler, who does good work. The lions GM was defending the pick by saying that “other teams” in the top 20 were going to snap Gibbs up, so it was now or never for the Lions. Brugler, on the Athletic pod, said the Jets were “definitely interested.” In light of the eventual McDonald pick, it makes sense. Douglas and co were going to take a dynamic player that’ll help them on Day One, and an electric receiving back for Rodgers would make as much sense (in the short term) as a designated pass rusher. For as talented as Broderick Jones might be, the consensus was that he’s very raw and a ways away from being ready to produce at a high level in the NFL

Austin Ekeler is available from the chargers, via trade. Would be a really good #2 back or even #1 back if Breece is not himself this year.

Also had 107 receptions last year. 107. 

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Barton said:

Austin Ekeler is available from the chargers, via trade. Would be a really good #2 back or even #1 back if Breece is not himself this year.

That’d be cool, but he also wants McCaffrey money (~$13mm per) and that’s a lot of money for a guy who’d end up RB2 here.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Barton said:

No. 27 year old rb with injury history? I'm out. We have one shot at this. We need guys that will be on the field to the greatest extent we can manage. Wasn't  a fan of Cobb either for this reason but Rodgers wanted him. 

Just now, T0mShane said:

That’d be cool, but he also wants McCaffrey money (~$13mm per) and that’s a lot of money for a guy who’d end up RB2 here.

Ya that's an issue for sure. Not to mention they just drafted Izzy.

But I think they can make it happen. Restructure some contracts etc. Move some money around.

I just cant count on Breece to be Breece this year. Seems too risky. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barton said:

Ya that's an issue for sure. Not to mention they just drafted Izzy.

But I think they can make it happen. Restructure some contracts etc. Move some money around.

I just cant count on Breece to be Breece this year. Seems too risky. 

It’s my hope that they take a big swing on a veteran who shakes loose, but I’d guess that guy would be a pass rusher or a receiver. There’s obviously a lot of urgency here, but I’d think Douglas wants to keep some cash in reserve in the event that, like, Washington makes Chase Young available, or Tampa decides to move Evans or Godwin.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Agreed.  But just because Becton hypothetically starts the season at RT doesn’t mean he finishes there.  Brown is very old. The odds of him staying healthy for 17 games is pretty low.  

Becton’s services will be needed at LT.  He needs to stay ready….and hungry.  @slats

He won’t get through the first week of practice. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It’s my hope that they take a big swing on a veteran who shakes loose, but I’d guess that guy would be a pass rusher or a receiver. There’s obviously a lot of urgency here, but I’d think Douglas wants to keep some cash in reserve in the event that, like, Washington makes Chase Young available, or Tampa decides to move Evans or Godwin.

Big yes to any of the Tampa Bay weapons but not sure about Young 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

I don’t think they’re trading him now.

They need him.  And he’s not the type of guy to no-show or really act like a malcontent.

Now that I actually think about it, Gibbs on the Jets would have been amazing.

RB is arguably the easiest position to transition to from college.

We’re talking instant impact.

Would have made sense in an “all in” SB or bust type of year.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I agree with that. WR is a bigger need. 

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He’d turn the couch into a seesaw if he did that.

Still shocks me people thought it was anything but a no-brainer to decline the option. I mean damn wish my company thought along those lines.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I would personally love it if Becton won LT because it’s the best overall potential, but my guess is this coaching staff is more likely to opt for Becton at RT and Brown at LT, but maybe that’s wrong. 

what’s most important to me is that the two best tackles play - i suspect that’s brown and Becton in some fashion, if Becton can actually stay healthy. 

Yeah, and if that's the case - where Brown & Becton aren't just the best two, but the dropoff to 3rd best is so blatant unless it's AVT - then with the best-5 on the field including all 3 that probably means Becton slides to RT.

If Brown isn't at least on par with Becton this summer then they may have him off the field altogether, which would save his $9MM non-guaranteed salary for '23. We're nowhere near there yet, and anyway even in that case the starting LT would hardly be stable enough to let him go (and paying $9MM for him to be a backup is just ridiculous).

In a vacuum, like I was saying, they're better off if Becton - the most uniquely talented of them - is the LT. But given the roster as it stands today, they're probably better off leaving Brown at LT. If Becton wants to sulk and pout about it by boasting he's a LT not a RT after missing the last two seasons, well they've got enough (and can acquire further) RT depth without him. 

3 hours ago, Barton said:

I hate to break it to you, but Ekeler is NOT a #2 back.  He's one of the top 3-4 RBs in the NFL.  And he wants to get PAID.  

33 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Yeah, and if that's the case - where Brown & Becton aren't just the best two, but the dropoff to 3rd best is so blatant unless it's AVT - then with the best-5 on the field including all 3 that probably means Becton slides to RT.

If Brown isn't at least on par with Becton this summer then they may have him off the field altogether, which would save his $9MM non-guaranteed salary for '23. We're nowhere near there yet, and anyway even in that case the starting LT would hardly be stable enough to let him go (and paying $9MM for him to be a backup is just ridiculous).

In a vacuum, like I was saying, they're better off if Becton - the most uniquely talented of them - is the LT. But given the roster as it stands today, they're probably better off leaving Brown at LT. If Becton wants to sulk and pout about it by boasting he's a LT not a RT after missing the last two seasons, well they've got enough (and can acquire further) RT depth without him. 

Becton (and his reps) would be idiots to start complaining about anything until at minimum he has half a season of solid starts under his belt.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, undertow said:

It's in the teams interest that Brown plays LT and fat ass plays RT....unless you are interested in Max Mitchell being a starter.

I think Max has a chance to be the long term starter.

They're probably pencilling (not ink) him in there at 2024 right now with Warren at left after a red shirt year.  

Big "Left" Ticket is as good as gone after they didn't pick up the option. 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Dane Brugler, who does good work. The lions GM was defending the pick by saying that “other teams” in the top 20 were going to snap Gibbs up, so it was now or never for the Lions. Brugler, on the Athletic pod, said the Jets were “definitely interested.” In light of the eventual McDonald pick, it makes sense. Douglas and co were going to take a dynamic player that’ll help them on Day One, and an electric receiving back for Rodgers would make as much sense (in the short term) as a designated pass rusher. For as talented as Broderick Jones might be, the consensus was that he’s very raw and a ways away from being ready to produce at a high level in the NFL

If it hadn't been McDonald I'd suspect the Jaxson Smith-Njigba may have been the pick for the exact reasons mentioned above, a potential impact on Day One and an electric player.  The Jets could have still signed Cobb and then likely moved on from Corey Davis, saving about $10M that could be thrown Quinnen Williams' way.  Wilson (22) and Lazard (27) are clearly the WR1 and WR2 for the next three years, but I think JSN would have been a good addition that allows the Jets to move away from Corey Davis immediately and negates the need to resign a Mecole Hardman/Braxton Berrios type again next year.  JSN would have also served as a bit of a hedge when we get to Garrett Wilson's contract year.

As it stands now though, McDonald was the pick and perhaps serves as a similar hedge at a dynamic position but on defense.  He should be a Huff+ this year and hopefully a replacement for Lawson next year.  The most critical thing though for the Jets to maintain a strong defense that can be consistent for years to come is the development of Jermaine Johnsons.  He needs to turn into that every down DE who is stout against the run and get about 8 sacks per year.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I think Max has a chance to be the long term starter.

They're probably pencilling (not ink) him in there at 2024 right now with Warren at left after a red shirt year.  

Big "Left" Ticket is as good as gone after they didn't pick up the option. 

He’s not gone but he has a ticket out of town (har har). If he wants to be paid anywhere — including here via extension/franchise tag/transition tag — the goal is the same. Stay in-shape and healthy and play ball.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

RB at 15 after Breece in the second last year would have been a disaster pick, I'm sorry

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, jgb said:

Becton (and his reps) would be idiots to start complaining about anything until at minimum he has half a season of solid starts under his belt.

Which is why he looks so foolish & childish boasting about anything before he's been officially named the week 1 starter at either slot. He certainly should be, but that opinion was the same last year, too; then he missed the whole season after missing all but half a game the one before.

If he wants to post selfies about losing what's likely some 70 lbs from last year's offseason highest, yeah go for it. That's posting an accomplishment. 

Boasting about what he's going to accomplish before doing it is the stuff that make doers-not-talkers do eyerolls. Expressions like Talk is cheap (and similar) aren't repeated over & over for no reason.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Which is why he looks so foolish & childish boasting about anything before he's been officially named the week 1 starter at either slot. He certainly should be, but that opinion was the same last year, too; then he missed the whole season after missing all but half a game the one before.

If he wants to post selfies about losing what's likely some 70 lbs from last year's offseason highest, yeah go for it. That's posting an accomplishment. 

Boasting about what he's going to accomplish before doing it is the stuff that make doers-not-talkers do eyerolls. Expressions like Talk is cheap (and similar) aren't repeated over & over for no reason.

Yep. And to have to lose 70 lbs as a 3rd/4th year professional football player… no thanks on long term money. Situationally-motivated player.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

RB at 15 after Breece in the second last year would have been a disaster pick, I'm sorry

Agreed, but the most encouraging thing I heard about him in the draft process was that if he committed to receiver full-time, he’d probably have been the WR1 in this class. One of those next-level athletes like McCaffrey. 

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

If it hadn't been McDonald I'd suspect the Jaxson Smith-Njigba may have been the pick for the exact reasons mentioned above, a potential impact on Day One and an electric player.  The Jets could have still signed Cobb and then likely moved on from Corey Davis, saving about $10M that could be thrown Quinnen Williams' way.  Wilson (22) and Lazard (27) are clearly the WR1 and WR2 for the next three years, but I think JSN would have been a good addition that allows the Jets to move away from Corey Davis immediately and negates the need to resign a Mecole Hardman/Braxton Berrios type again next year.  JSN would have also served as a bit of a hedge when we get to Garrett Wilson's contract year.

As it stands now though, McDonald was the pick and perhaps serves as a similar hedge at a dynamic position but on defense.  He should be a Huff+ this year and hopefully a replacement for Lawson next year.  The most critical thing though for the Jets to maintain a strong defense that can be consistent for years to come is the development of Jermaine Johnsons.  He needs to turn into that every down DE who is stout against the run and get about 8 sacks per year.

I think it’s odd that JSN fell all the way to 20. Makes you wonder if there are personality concerns or something. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

I think it’s odd that JSN fell all the way to 20. Makes you wonder if there are personality concerns or something. 

Agree. With the recent success of first round WRs, thought someone would take a shot earlier. @AFJF speculated he’d be around during Jets pick…. I thought no way.

• Upvote 1

Heard an interesting angle on Sirius re: Becton RT vs LT.

Becton's leg injuries (haven't fact checked this) were to his right leg. This would be his plant/anchor leg if he plays RT. May be another reason (besides $) that he wants to stay on the left side.

53 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Heard an interesting angle on Sirius re: Becton RT vs LT.

Becton's leg injuries (haven't fact checked this) were to his right leg. This would be his plant/anchor leg if he plays RT. May be another reason (besides $) that he wants to stay on the left side.

Maybe he needs to stop skipping leg day in workouts all the time then.  

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Maybe he needs to stop skipping leg day in workouts all the time then.  

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1654943732280565760?s=20

Reported recently that Becton’s preference is to go back to left tackle, in part, because right tackle puts additional stress on twice-repaired right knee. Plus, left tackle is his natural position. #Jets

7 hours ago, Joejet said:

AVT moved to right guard kept his mouth shut and embraced it like a true professional. He then bounced around to both tackle positions and played them both well. It’s time for Becton to grow up and follow AVT’s lead. If you play and play well you will get your chance.

I saw that post by Mekhi and he’s just never going to get it. He can’t read the room. He acts like an entitled teenager and his attitude is a big reason why his fifth year option didn’t get picked up and why I think the Jets are looking to move on.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1654943732280565760?s=20

Reported recently that Becton’s preference is to go back to left tackle, in part, because right tackle puts additional stress on twice-repaired right knee. Plus, left tackle is his natural position. #Jets

Go get that LT job then, son. Better get started

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Why?

A team should never pick a RB top 20.  Particularly if they just used a high 2 on one the prior year.  

And why is that?  Because RBs get hurt and are almost never worth a 2nd contract.  

You don’t take guys with an average shelf life of 2.5 years with premium selections.  Ever.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1