Lawson reworks contract, frees 2023 cap space

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

1. Smart move by both sides, otherwise Lawson could have been cut.  This is an example of the McDonald pick paying instant dividends because it gave the Jets leverage

2. Joe D understands the market and plays the timing game well.  The 2023 market for Edges has pretty much passed, or is a lot weaker now post draft than at the start of free agency

3. I love incentives, make him earn it .. win win if you give him some more upside for premium performance 

4. The math doesn’t add up.  Is the $8M a salary or a guaranteed bonus spread over multiple years?

5. Bringing in my friend @Sperm Edwards … the Jets should ask the same of CJ Mosley who is paid well above market at $17M salary.  I don’t think any player, especially a middle linebacker, should be immune to a contract restructuring if he is that far above the going market rate

My 2 cents (in terms of total words, $10 worth of my 2 cents ;)): 

1. We'll see if it was smart or not. The Jets had 3 young edge rushers; we'll see this year how necessary it was. If they go all the way, I'm of the "by any means necessary" mindset myself. I see this as a less than enthusiastic endorsement of last year's drafted ends, especially seeing how JFM lines up at end plenty himself. 

2. Yes, I guess. See point 1 above. This isn't elite edge rusher pay, but Lawson's not an elite edge rusher in the first place. He's an edge with 7 sacks in 17 games, who averages 2 (combined) tackles per game. I don't know what his going rate would be, tbh.

3. Don't get excited about the incentives yet; they may be something that shouldn't be hard to attain '23 that he didn't attain on paper in '22 (e.g. playing 1 snap in the postseason; basically that'd be a team incentive, where Lawson gets it if he's not on IR). 

4. The $8MM is all bonus, spread among this season plus 4 additional, voidable seasons (spread over 5 seasons total, 80% of which will accelerate to 2024 if this is still his last season here). It doesn't obviously help a crazy amount with Rodgers; all it does is make it look like less of AR's 2024 hit is siloed under Rodgers instead of dead cap for Lawson. It's the same total, whether it was salary or bonus. The optics are better if Rodgers has his hits leveled out a bit more, even if the Rodgers-Lawson totals (in both seasons) end up to the same amount. 

5. The issue with Mosley isn't his redone contract's structure; it's his outright compensation. If he's paid way above market at $17MM it makes no difference to me if the individual year's hit is $17MM, $21MM, or "restructured" down so it's like $5MM this year (pushing the balance off to the future, like they did with him last summer). He can't be restructured yet, unless I have the rules wrong (totally possible): he can't restructure within 365 days of his prior restructure, which came in August. But while people are arguing the merits of QW's value being $30MM or $25MM, this ****er is easily overpaid by more than that disparity.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

5. Bringing in my friend @Sperm Edwards … the Jets should ask the same of CJ Mosley who is paid well above market at $17M salary.  I don’t think any player, especially a middle linebacker, should be immune to a contract restructuring if he is that far above the going market rate

If Mosley says no to taking less money, the only options are pay or cut. There's a huge saving this year and next by cutting him which is great but what's the plan? Hope Sherwood can call the defense as well? Promote Surratt or Cherelus to starting MLB? See if ZW can play MLB? Not really a great plan there. 

I don't think he plays up to his compensation but the coaches seem to like him--there's been no effort to replace him despite the unfavorable contract.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, choon328 said:

Only the top 53 players count against the cap.  Assuming all 7 rookies make the 53 they'll cost $8.6 million against the cap. They'll be replacing 7 players currently on the 53 man roster that are already counting against the cap so you have to deduct those 7 players salaries from the current cap number. It depends on which existing players get replaced by the rookies but on average those salaries will be around $1 million each.  So really to sign all of the rookies the Jets need around $2 million in cap space.  So after the rookies are signed the Jets will go from $19 million in cap space to $17 million.  

Also $10 million is way too much to save for players they may bring in during the season. Most players come in on vet minimum deals if they're signed during the year. 

The cap number is the top 51. The rookie pool is what it is. It is routine to want 10 million in space going into the season. You could risk less, but the relevant point is when you look at cap in May, you have to figure at least $14 million for rookies and injuries. It’s usually closer to $16 million or $18 million. They have other moves they can make but this basically gets their head above water. 

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Two words:  Mo Wilkerson.

Quinnen seems to be showing a lot of grievance about not getting paid.  Guys like that usually disappear when they do. 

Just because one girlfriend hurt you in the past doesn’t mean all women are the same. Good teams pay their good players.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

21 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Should we be concerned at the amount of money that has been pushed into future years.  The Jets have reworked every single big contract they have outside of Corey Davis. A lot of money pushed to future years and a lot of void years added. 

This includes:

Carl Lawson

Alan Lazard

JFM

CJ Mosely

Duane Brown

Uzomah

Conklin

It is slightly concerning but I guess, if the cap keeps going up, you can just keeping pushing some money to future years with voids for future contracts too.  As long as you aren't too concerned about the optics of committing a lot of cap dollars to guys no longer on the team, it's a sound way to manage the cap.

11 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

If Mosley says no to taking less money, the only options are pay or cut. There's a huge saving this year and next by cutting him which is great but what's the plan? Hope Sherwood can call the defense as well? Promote Surratt or Cherelus to starting MLB? See if ZW can play MLB? Not really a great plan there. 

I don't think he plays up to his compensation but the coaches seem to like him--there's been no effort to replace him despite the unfavorable contract.

Team captain and pro bowler.  I’m sure they’ll ask him to restructure but he’s a team leader. He’s not going to be replaced this year. He was also voted Curtis Martin team MVP in 2021 and named Dennis Byrd most inspirational player in 2022. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Larz said:

Looking at the post June 1 cuts the only player remotely in the conversation to get cut with more than a million in cap savings that a rookie draft pick could replace is Ashtyn Davis. 

True.  Bryce Hall and Denzel Mims could be vulnerable too - to UDFAs or cheaper vets like Guidry - although you're not saving a massive amount with those changes.

Just now, mrcoops said:

True.  Bryce Hall and Denzel Mims could be vulnerable too - to UDFAs or cheaper vets like Guidry - although you're not saving a massive amount with those changes.

Yeah the net savings won’t be much. Basically the jets are treading water now. That’s actually pretty amazing since a lot of us were assuming Davis was as good as gone. If JD settles the Rodgers contract and extends Q and doesn’t have to trade or cut anyone to make room for it , that has to be considered pretty damn good 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

24 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

and spell

Just now, IndianaJet said:

You, of all people, shouldn't talk.

Also...it's not spelled wrong.  Two different, but accepted spellings.

I'm sure there's a YouTube video on this somewhere out there...but if you can't find it, here's a link to help you out.

https://www.dictionary.com/e/imbed-vs-embed/

This is the ?content that brings me back here again and again 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The best young gm in the league doing best young gm things.

Thank you Joe Douglas!  Thank you!!

But, what happened to your cliche phrase: "What have you done JD, what have you done?"

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

How many pro bowls did Revis make after his 2010 extended hold out?

How did Aaron donald do after a bitter hold out in 2018?

Very true.  Should I make a VERY long laundry list of the players who after signing big contracts disappeared?

58 minutes ago, jgb said:

Just because one girlfriend hurt you in the past doesn’t mean all women are the same. Good teams pay their good players.

Yup....But if the second girlfriend starts bitching about the same stuff the first girlfriend did, well, Great White said it best: Once bitten, twice shy.

1 hour ago, mrcoops said:

It is slightly concerning but I guess, if the cap keeps going up, you can just keeping pushing some money to future years with voids for future contracts too.  As long as you aren't too concerned about the optics of committing a lot of cap dollars to guys no longer on the team, it's a sound way to manage the cap.

I know it's a pretty common practice.  One of my favorite things about JD when he arrived is that he ate the dead money of guys like Trumaine Johnson and cleared the bad contracts asap.

There are some bad contracts to meh players on the books now for years to come, specifically Laken Tomlinson and CJ Uzomah, pretty big misses.  CJ Mosely's bloated contract keeps getting additional years tacked on. I hate the idea we'll paying these guys for years after they leave.  

Don't get me wrong, never been happier with the roster as it is now but don't like the dead money hits that will be coming for years to come as it'll take away resources we can commit to future rosters.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

Should we be concerned at the amount of money that has been pushed into future years.  The Jets have reworked every single big contract they have outside of Corey Davis. A lot of money pushed to future years and a lot of void years added. 

This includes:

Carl Lawson

Alan Lazard

JFM

CJ Mosely

Duane Brown

Uzomah

Conklin

Yes and no

yes because youre right

no because were gonna have 2 years of interesting football.

after a decadr or two of garbage i welcome 2 years of playoffs at any cost

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Can't wait for a few years down the road when we have to pay Breece and AVT and Sauce and Garret Wilson and we have pushed all this money liability down the road to coincide with them wanting to get paid.

I hate rampant contract redos because they just shift the liability down the road.  The odd time you do it but if you are doing it now becasue we do not have the funds for Quinnen that is less than ideal.  And we are not even considering the Rodgers contract liability going forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Yes and no

yes because youre right

no because were gonna have 2 years of interesting football.

after a decadr or two of garbage i welcome 2 years of playoffs at any cost

Yes 2023 and 2024 are all in.........2025 and on be dammned for now. 

Give this team some legitimacy first 

31 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Yup....But if the second girlfriend starts bitching about the same stuff the first girlfriend did, well, Great White said it best: Once bitten, twice shy.

You do realize that QW’s “complaining” is like a 2 out of 10, right? Easy to play hardball from afar and say you’d “punish” behaviors that are utterly normalized in today’s environment.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Can't wait for a few years down the road when we have to pay Breece and AVT and Sauce and Garret Wilson and we have pushed all this money liability down the road to coincide with them wanting to get paid.

I hate rampant contract redos because they just shift the liability down the road.  The odd time you do it but if you are doing it now becasue we do not have the funds for Quinnen that is less than ideal.  And we are not even considering the Rodgers contract liability going forward.

Oh fans will hate those guys when they want market value for their services, believe that. Meanwhile, 99% of people on here would leave their current job if a competitor offered a 20% raise. If not, I’d say you have your priories mixed up.

my family > any employer 

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

You do realize that QW’s “complaining” is like a 2 out of 10, right? Easy to play hardball from afar and say you’d “punish” behaviors that are utterly normalized in today’s environment.

Cool.....You don't have to be concerned if you don't want to be.  

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Cool.....You don't have to be concerned if you don't want to be.  

I’m always concerned just pointing out that the fact that Mo Wilk turned out to be a disaster extension is a terrible argument that Jets should never extend anyone again.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

50 minutes ago, Bronx said:

But, what happened to your cliche phrase: "What have you done JD, what have you done?"

Give it an hour, he’ll be back on the abject despair train. But it’s ridiculous optimism hour for him now.

• Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s literally his only move right now for his leverage and its smart. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Creepy Lurker said:

It’s literally his only move right now for his leverage and its smart. 

Yeah this is basic level negotiation stuff. Fans get emotional, I get it, but JD knows the game and I’d be surprised if this even elicited an eye roll.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’m always concerned just pointing out that the fact that Mo Wilk turned out to be a disaster extension is a terrible argument that Jets should never extend anyone again.

I'm not saying we shouldn't extend people.  Personally, I don't trust Quinnen's efforts and production will increase after a hefty pay extension.  I personally think he will disappear.  Just me.