Saquon Wants To Get Paid

46 minutes ago, Alka said:

I think he is doing the right thing.  He wants some protection if he gets injured.  A 3 year, $30M deal would be fair, with $25M guaranteed.

Signing the franchise tag this year would only net Barkley $10M.  If he signs that and gets injured, his career could be over.  

I agree with his thinking, and feel the Giants should do the right thing, and give this guy a contract.  And if he does stay healthy, then the Giants win with that contract.  

Just look at it this way.  Leonard Williams accounts for $32.26 Million dollars this year, with his 2.5 sacks he got last season.  When you compare the 2, with Barkley easily being the best player on the Giants team last year, it is a no-brainer to pay the man his money!!

Yes but the Giants gave him a big offer, he held out for CMC money, then the Giants pulled the offer and allocated those resources elsewhere.  

It also seems they're a bit relieved he didn't sign it and the light went on that paying RB's analytically is a poor use of resources.

As an aside, JD wanted to get Breece in the first round so he'd get that 5th year option on a RB but the cost was too high.  We'll see what happens after Breece's rookie deal is up

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to hear us sniffing around here. Kid is a big difference maker. Gibbs was supposedly the pick at 15 if he was there.

Sure. Let's bring in Cook and Barkley at $10 million to join Hall and give each of them 100 carries. Why not add Elliott to the mix too.  Good use of resources at the easiest position to fill in the NFL.  There's a reason why the market is flooded with veteran RBs and its not because teams are cheap or not "going for it."

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Saquon is a super talented guy but exactly the kind of guy you don't pay. He's been a chronically injured RB over his first contract. Why would you bet that gets better?

aside from the 2020 knee injury has he really been chronically injured? He's missed a handful of games outside of that over the other 4 years.

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Sure. Let's bring in Cook and Barkley at $10 million to join Hall and give each of them 100 carries. Why not add Elliott to the mix too.  Good use of resources at the easiest position to fill in the NFL.  There's a reason why the market is flooded with veteran RBs and its not because teams are cheap or not "going for it."

Not a fan of the Cook idea but Barkley is still young and explosive. Watch what he did last year.

He's not just another RB.  He's a very special talent who plays a high risk position.  I suspect they get a deal but it's sort of a shame that a player like Barkley who impacts games isn't rewarded as an impact player because of the risk involved.

The NFL is taking the risk of playing QB and WR and mitigating it with rule changes.  RB's in the NFL are being sacrificed.  I can see where a talent like Barkley and others are going to be very pissed off.   The rule changes that reduce the risk to other players also has moved cap and cash to those positions at the expense of high risk positions.  

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He's not just another RB.  He's a very special talent who plays a high risk position.  I suspect they get a deal but it's sort of a shame that a player like Barkley who impacts games isn't rewarded as an impact player because of the risk involved.

The NFL is taking the risk of playing QB and WR and mitigating it with rule changes.  RB's in the NFL are being sacrificed.  I can see where a talent like Barkley and others are going to be very pissed off.   The rule changes that reduce the risk to other players also has moved cap and cash to those positions at the expense of high risk positions.  

Mommas don’t let your sons grow up to be cowboys… or running backs. Problem is of course that in high school, running back is basically the premium position so the best athletes tend to get pushed there where they can have the biggest impact on the game.

• Upvote 1

To me, the Giants are sort of in the same quandary as the NO Pelicans are with Zion Williamson. Saquon is at a position where injury is very likely, Zion is fragile - and both are exceptional talents. But it's a tough choice as to whether to pay them or not, and how much of their salaries should be guaranteed, and for how long.

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

aside from the 2020 knee injury has he really been chronically injured? He's missed a handful of games outside of that over the other 4 years.

I suppose that's fair -- I guess I was conflating 2021 where he looked terrible after first coming back from the injury, but still one full season in 5 years.

I just don't see him as a guy you pay...

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Saquon has made $39 million dollars playing football.  And his greed now cost him a nice contract.

Could you imagine making $39 million dollars in 5 years and then complaining running backs dont get paid.

Unreal.

This greed stuff is total crap. Compared to a homeless guy you’re a greedy SOB if you ask your boss for a 5% raise. There is nothing greedy about wanting to be paid fair market value for your services. Just because he gets paid more than you doesn’t change anything.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

I know you don’t pay RBs but you also have to take the teams into account. Saquon is the Giants entire offense

They should have slapped Jones with the tag and paid Saquon.  

One of the few RBs where its worth the risk.  He's an excellent pass-catching back with mitigates a bit of the injury risk of other backs and also makes his value sky high amongst RBs.

Also Jones sucks.

Not a great allocation of resources by the Giants.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They should have slapped Jones with the tag and paid Saquon.  

One of the few RBs where its worth the risk.  He's an excellent pass-catching back with mitigates a bit of the injury risk of other backs and also makes his value sky high amongst RBs.

Also Jones sucks.

Not a great allocation of resources by the Giants.

Mommas don’t let your sons grow up to be running backs

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jgb said:

This greed stuff is total crap. Compared to a homeless guy you’re a greedy SOB if you ask your boss for a 5% raise. There is nothing greedy about wanting to be paid fair market value for your services. Just because he gets paid more than you doesn’t change anything.

He is being paid (offered) fair market value - for a running back playing NFL football in 2023.  He doesn't like the fair market value amount. The reason there are so many 26 -28 year old running backs without contracts right now is that they don't accept the market.  But if just one team thought it was worth it to pay $10-15 million for a running back over 25, that would set the market. Not one team is willing to go there.  So the market is lower.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He is being paid (offered) fair market value - for a running back playing NFL football in 2023.  He doesn't like the fair market value amount. The reason there are so many 26 -28 year old running backs without contracts right now is that they don't accept the market.  But if just one team thought it was worth it to pay $10-15 million for a running back over 25, that would set the market. Not one team is willing to go there.  So the market is lower.  

Saquon is a special back in his prime. He's worth more than the guys you're talking about.

This could turn ugly and end up a trade demand/hold out. I'd bet someone would be willing to pay him more on the open market.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's ironic that you call a player greedy because he wants more than some billionaires want to pay him.

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Put yourself in the guys ******* shoes.  Imagine beiing Barkley.  You are looking around that huddle in 2019 and Daniel Jones and Evan Engram are going to be getting paid and you are getting offered scraps?  Those guys blow.  I assume he will sign at the last moment and come to camp and play for his next deal.  No reason to sign early.  He risks injury and has to be in camp.  Why not just spend the summer on the beach and come collect your $10M later?  Daboll might be good enough to scheme around Jones, but I'm not sure he will be able to with a full season of Matt Breida at RB1.

Saquon playing on the tag means he'll be making lots of "business decisions" this year.  No toughing out extra yardage.  No playing hurt.  And I don't blame him.

I'm avoiding him in fantasy this year and it has nothing to do with his talent level.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Saquon playing on the tag means he'll be making lots of "business decisions" this year.  No toughing out extra yardage.  No playing hurt.  And I don't blame him.

I'm avoiding him in fantasy this year and it has nothing to do with his talent level.

Eh.  The franchise tag means he has to play for his next contract and the Giants don't have any long-term commitment.  That might lead to EXTREME usage.  

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  The franchise tag means he has to play for his next contract and the Giants don't have any long-term commitment.  That might lead to EXTREME usage.  

He can still get lots of touches and put up numbers without putting extra strain on his body.

Running out of bounds early will be a thing for him.  

He can also opt to sit out with minor injuries.

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was offered 11 million dollars a year for the next 2 years guaranteed and declined it.

He made $39 in his 1st 5 years.

He was given a raise and declined it.

No more “ poor running back” nonsense.

Daniel Jones is a bottom 8 QB in this league and got $160M even though Saquon is the true key to the offense.

Kindly desist with this terrible take.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

He was offered 11 million dollars a year for the next 2 years guaranteed and declined it.

He made $39 in his 1st 5 years.

He was given a raise and declined it.

No more “ poor running back” nonsense.

It's not really a raise because the Giants came up to the guaranteed amount of two franchise tags but reduced the overall amount of money they want to pay him. If that's their posture, he might as well play out the franchise tags and go elsewhere. Giants are not exactly enticing him to stay. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Daniel Jones is a bottom 8 QB in this league and got $160M even though Saquon is the true key to the offense.

Kindly desist with this terrible take.

hE maKe MoAR moNEEs dEN mEE. MuST bE GrEEdy!!!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes mom, dont let ur kids play running back.  Who wants offers of a guaranteed 22 mil over 2 years.

Poor running backs…….

Let’s provide some proper context here. The NFL works within a salary cap. It’s a game of how to allot resources. An owners overall net worth is completely irrelevant to this. Passing is a more efficient way to move the football. The rules encourage passing. It’s not a secret to why the portion has been devalued.

Also, both Jacobs and Barkley had poor seasons in 2021. The one season where they literally couldn’t afford to. They had no leverage once they had a down year. Like with everything in life, timing is everything. They’ll have to “settle” for the 10 million dollar tag this year if they decide to play.