Saquon Wants To Get Paid

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes mom, dont let ur kids play running back.  Who wants offers of a guaranteed 22 mil over 2 years.

Poor running backs…….

And some people win PowerBall but mommas still shouldn’t teach their sons to spend all their money on lottery tickets. The average RB pay is dog sheet compared to other positions especially considering the longevity and physical risk.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

It's ironic that you call a player greedy because he wants more than some billionaires want to pay him.

I never called him greedy. He misread the market. He was allegedly offered $13-14 a year, which is more than Henry got. He turned it down. That was stupid, especially considering he has a hard time staying on the field. 

And it doesn’t matter how much money the owners are worth. The cap is the same for every team. It’s competitively stupid for a team to overpay a player. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jgb said:

And some people win PowerBall but mommas still shouldn’t teach their sons to spend all their money on lottery tickets. The average RB pay is dog sheet compared to other positions especially considering the longevity and physical risk.

That’s the whole point. The injury risk and short shelf life is why they aren’t getting second contracts. Teams pay for future performance and 26-28 running backs have not showed they are worth big contracts.

This trend with nfl RBs is awful. These guys play hard and get hit more than anyone else and then when their pay day comes the teams don’t want to pay them.

If I’m each and every one of these guys… I sign my tag and nurse a lingering minor injury all season. Get that tag money without taking more hits and get a deal next off-season. Won’t be a ton of money but the combo of a tag this year and a 4mill deal next year is great money still.

• More Ugh 1

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

That’s the whole point. The injury risk and short shelf life is why they aren’t getting second contracts. Teams pay for future performance and 26-28 running backs have not showed they are worth big contracts.

Exactly so that’s why mommas shouldn’t let their sons grow up to be RBs

Which was my point that you reflexively disagreed with but glad you’ve come around

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Saquon has made $39 million dollars playing football.  And his greed now cost him a nice contract.

Could you imagine making $39 million dollars in 5 years and then complaining running backs dont get paid.

Unreal.

The flip side of this is Barkley was such a great prospect he was drafted in slot 2 when 4 quarterbacks were selected in the first round. 

Baker Mayfield drafted 1 slot in front of him has already made 48 million dollars. Sam Darnold drafted after Barkley has already made over 49 million.

zach Wilson if he never throws another pass and we can only hope has already made over 35 million

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

This trend with nfl RBs is awful. These guys play hard and get hit more than anyone else and then when their pay day comes the teams don’t want to pay them.

If I’m each and every one of these guys… I sign my tag and nurse a lingering minor injury all season. Get that tag money without taking more hits and get a deal next off-season. Won’t be a ton of money but the combo of a tag this year and a 4mill deal next year is great money still.

Fully agreed.  But as for the bold….some guys don’t ever get that FA deal with a 2nd team post-tag.  Not a significant deal, that is.  The way the market is going Saquon will probably get a lot of 2-year offers.  

Oh, and the Giants are also of course within their rights to tag him a 2nd time.  I’m sure Saquon would refuse to play on a 2nd tag but he’d have to sit out a season to do so, and by then….

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Gotta compare starting RB to K salaries for it to be apples to apples. 

Still wouldn’t really be apples to apples.  Backup RBs often get 10-15 touches a game in this league.  Starting Kickers often go whole games being used less than a handful of times.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Still wouldn’t really be apples to apples.  Backup RBs often get 10-15 touches a game in this league.  Starting Kickers often go whole games being used less than a handful of times.  

Perhaps running backs could learn how to kick too. Ohtani is going to be paid a lot more because he can play two positions.

One of the worst things in any field of employment is to be considered disposable due to an influx of talent that can easily replace you and be a replicant of your performance. 

Works so many ways. Sport can be a cruel career, particularly with salary caps. There is no room any more for nostalgic feelings. 

• Upvote 2

On 6/12/2023 at 4:46 PM, Larz said:

I’m pretty sure the new CBA specifically prohibits teams from forgiving or waiving fees fines and penalties accrued during a holding because of the Bell situation. 

seems like a hollow threat to me. 

Only if you are under contract. Saquon is not under contract until he signs his franchise tag.

11 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Yes mom, dont let ur kids play running back.  Who wants offers of a guaranteed 22 mil over 2 years.

Poor running backs…….

Bigger takeaway, don't play football.

Average age of death for US male: 75

Average age of death for NFL player: 55

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Fully agreed.  But as for the bold….some guys don’t ever get that FA deal with a 2nd team post-tag.  Not a significant deal, that is.  The way the market is going Saquon will probably get a lot of 2-year offers.  

Oh, and the Giants are also of course within their rights to tag him a 2nd time.  I’m sure Saquon would refuse to play on a 2nd tag but he’d have to sit out a season to do so, and by then….

I'd like to see a "weapon tag" similar to OL. Let them lump in WR, TE, and RB together. That would all but eliminate the franchise tag for RBs, forcing new deals or pay an extreme premium for RB

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Exactly so that’s why mommas shouldn’t let their sons grow up to be RBs

Which was my point that you reflexively disagreed with but glad you’ve come around

That’s the overarching issue. There are too many good running backs. 

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He turned the Giants down at $22M guaranteed because that’s what he’d make under two straight tags. He’ll play under a second tag (if it comes), then he’ll be a free agent. 

It sucks for RBs, I feel empathy for them, but this is the reality of their position. They are easily replaceable. The world is overflowing with 5’10”, 200lb guys who run a 4.5 40. They take a ton of contact on these smaller bodies and they get used up. Regularly getting pounded by guys who weigh 100lbs more than they do. And when they slow down, there’s a line of guys to take their place on rookie contracts. I’d be upset about it if I was RB, but that doesn’t mean I’m giving a big contract to a RB as a GM. 

Their only recourse is to learn to be safeties. They don’t make much more, but at least they have longer careers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

He is the Giants best offensive player, they needed to find a way to get him into camp signed on a 3 or 4 year deal.  He has probably sold the most Jerseys since he's been here and takes immense pressure off Jones.  Now every day in camp all the coaches and players to face and answer the same questions until he reports.  Then it will linger all season and start again next year.  They should have met in the middle.  That being said, if he wanted McCafrey money that just wasn't going to happen.  Both sides lose on this one.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

This is not realistic. If a player tried this, it would be his last year in the league. And a guy looking for $15M/year isn’t seeing $4M as “great money,” anyway. 

What he’s likely to do is sit out all of training camp. He can sit just about up until opening day, and then not be very useful the first few games of the season while he gets himself into football shape with the team. The Giants could technically pull the tag at any time before he chooses to sign, but then he instantly becomes a free agent. The Giants aren’t risking that. Maybe next year they’ll then come to the table with a more generous offer to get him into camp on time. That’s about the best he can hope for. 

• Upvote 1

Take away the ability for teams to use the franchise tag all together on the RB position. Let these guys become FA after their rookie contracts are done. And let the free market decide on their value. 

It’ll never happen but it’s be interesting to see how much guaranteed money Saquon would get on the open market. 

…..Saquon should sign the franchise tag just before season starts. Then sit out W1 vs Dallas. He’d lose $600K game check but it’s the only way he could send a FU message to the Giants by essentially guaranteeing an opening week loss. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

Take away the ability for teams to use the franchise tag all together on the RB position. Let these guys become FA after their rookie contracts are done. And let the free market decide on their value. 

It’ll never happen but it’s be interesting to see how much guaranteed money Saquon would get on the open market. 

…..Saquon should sign the franchise tag just before season starts. Then sit out W1 vs Dallas. He’d lose $600K game check but it’s the only way he could send a FU message to the Giants by essentially guaranteeing an opening week loss. 

The problem is position definition.  Like with tags, only this would be worse.  Every hybrid player who ever took one carry would call themselves a RB (i.e. Deebo) and you would get even more arbitration hearings every year than the WR/TE issue has caused.

And I'm not sure how much Saquon would get in the open market this year anyway.  Fournette, Cook, Zeke, Kareem Hunt just to name a few are all looking for new contracts/homes.  As great as he is - when healthy - it's hard to argue Saquon is worth $15M when you can get one of those guys for half or less.

Barkley was offered 22 million over 2 years. It’s not QB money but if he takes home 12 million after taxes and invests 6 million in an annuity he’s looking at 26,000 a month for life. 

that’s why there will be no RB strike lol. 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

That’s the overarching issue. There are too many good running backs. 

Yep. It’s the most commoditized NFL position. What happens when a good or service gets commoditized?

Working Stock Market GIF by Adult Swim 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

huh?  the tag and 4mm is what about 15mm over 2 years?

the teams will offer way more than that guaranteed.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Worked out so well for L. Bell

it is kind of amazing that the franchise tag amount for a RB (just over $10MM) is equal to what the 31st highest paid WR is making this year.

i understand the dynamics of why this is the case, but it still seems shocking.  even odder to me is that TE and S are higher "value" positions, with tag amounts of $11.3MM & $14.5MM, respectively.

• Upvote 1