Titanic tourist submersible goes missing [5-member crew presumed dead following search]

10 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

You guys haven’t hit the horror of it too.  

Suicide  early in it to give everyone a better chance - or wait 18 hours to run out of air together.  Or if a couple people do and you are left…

Oof.  

Everything about this….

Are you saying you are rich and like to do stupid stuff? 

I can bolt you into a fridge and throw you in the ocean.  I’ll do it for half price - 125k - since I don’t have an extra video game controller to throw in.  

Oh, if I'm the youngest in that mofo, I was killing off the oldies w/ the quickness to save oxygen. 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m going to Hell for laughing at these.  

IMG_6940.jpeg

IMG_6939.jpeg

IMG_6938.jpeg

Im sure you’re not the only one. Over/under on how many currently-striking Hollywood screenwriters already have a working draft?

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, jgb said:

If they don’t survive I hope they went out quickly with a massive depressurization event which would have been instantaneous.

Everything I've read (which means of course I'm an expert now) suggests that any kind of implosion would have made an unmistakable noise by now.  Probably can rule that out, sadly.

Most likely an electrical failure rather than any kind of hull issue, which would explain the comms system going down so soon into the trip.

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Everything I've read (which means of course I'm an expert now) suggests that any kind of implosion would have made an unmistakable noise by now.  Probably can rule that out, sadly.

Most likely an electrical failure rather than any kind of hull issue, which would explain the comms system going down so soon into the trip.

It could've imploded before/right when they knew it was lost and before sound was being monitored

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

In that case the noise would have been picked up by other vessels that monitor ocean sounds regularly.  

Didn't know that was a thing or that the sound would carry enough to be detected by vessels potentially hundreds of miles away.

16 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The USCG are ******* ballers, and nobody knows it. Their motto is "Semper Paratus"....but the unofficial motto is "You have to go out...but you don't have to come back in". 

No sh*t.

He'll yes, they're bad asses. I remember watching a documentary on their rescue swimmer school. Rappelling into water that is moving like a giant washing machine, while remaining calm, oh and trying to keep the person they're rescuing calm is hard-core. After Katrina they showed them doing their thing pulling people and in once a woman with guide dog out of flood waters. Definitely unsung at what they do. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Coast Guard found debris, oh my god.

@jgb looks like I stand corrected!  But it is still weird that no sound was heard:

Sonar buoys in search did not detect any implosion sounds

Marlene Lenthang

It's not clear exactly when the Titan imploded, but Coast Guard officials said that sonar buoys dispatched "did not hear any signs of catastrophic failure."

"This was a catastrophic implosion of the vessel which would have generated a significant broadband sound down there that the sonar buoys would have picked up," First Coast Guard District commander Rear Adm. John Mauger said at a news conference today.

Sonar buoys had detected noises in the water Tuesday and Wednesday that were being assessed for patterns, but Mauger said Thursday "there doesn't appear to be any connection between the noises and the location [of the debris] on the sea floor."

• Sympathy 2

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

@jgb looks like I stand corrected!  But it is still weird that no sound was heard:

Marlene Lenthang

It's not clear exactly when the Titan imploded, but Coast Guard officials said that sonar buoys dispatched "did not hear any signs of catastrophic failure."

"This was a catastrophic implosion of the vessel which would have generated a significant broadband sound down there that the sonar buoys would have picked up," First Coast Guard District commander Rear Adm. John Mauger said at a news conference today.

Sonar buoys had detected noises in the water Tuesday and Wednesday that were being assessed for patterns, but Mauger said Thursday "there doesn't appear to be any connection between the noises and the location [of the debris] on the sea floor."

Sucks. I hate being right about tragedies (and the Jets).

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Marlene Lenthang

And not that weird it wasn't heard. The ocean is incomprehensibly huge and currents can affect sound carrying distance.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

And not that weird it wasn't heard. The ocean is incomprehensibly huge and currents can affect sound carrying distance.

Yep.  And I imagine the particularly tricky/dangerous weather they chose to overlook before departing may have played a part in that too.

Sea level air pressure:  About 15 pounds per square inch.

Titanic depth air pressure:  About 6,000 pounds per square inch.

There's a reason more people have been to outer space than that depth of the ocean...

Just don't do it.  I don't get why anyone would.

• Upvote 2

Such a shame. 

I had feared the vessel imploded since hearing about it late on Sunday. 

A completely avoidable tragedy that only occurred because a billionaire wanted to save a couple hundred grand and was in a rush to do what he wanted. Very sad. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Marlene Lenthang

The navy detected it on Sunday when they lost contact 

https://www.cnn.com/

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

He'll yes, they're bad asses. I remember watching a documentary on their rescue swimmer school. Rappelling into water that is moving like a giant washing machine, while remaining calm, oh and trying to keep the person they're rescuing calm is hard-core. After Katrina they showed them doing their thing pulling people and in once a woman with guide dog out of flood waters. Definitely unsung at what they do. 

There's a reason the Navy and AF are the butt of Army and Marine humor, but rarely (if ever) the Puddle Pirates. Who do you think drove the LCTs, LSTs and Higgins boats during WWII - Atlantic AND Pacfific theaters....

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

There's a reason the Navy and AF are the butt of Army and Marine humor, but rarely (if ever) the Puddle Pirates. Who do you think drove the LCTs, LSTs and Higgins boats during WWII - Atlantic AND Pacfific theaters....

The Chair Force ? 😁

• Haha 2

On 6/22/2023 at 3:43 PM, Pac said:

Thankfully it was instantaneous.  Completely unnecessary way to die but thinking about the alternative was freaking me out the last couple days. 

The only positives I can think of are their deaths were instant, never knew what happened. Secondly they died doing something they wanted to do (weel maybe not the kid) . Much like actor Julien Sands who died (presumed)  while hiking last winter. 

• Upvote 2