What’s Left For Joe Douglas To Do?

What’s left for Douglas to do? He’s going to what he’s been trying to do since he became gm.  There are still some players/positions that need upgrading. The list in the article is pretty good. And while he’s looking over this season he’s got to be looking a few seasons ahead to make sure he can fit qwill and Rodgers into the cap and still have enough to satisfy avt, gWilson and breece hall and any other first contact players that emerge.  Assuming these guys continue to play at a high level it’s going to be interesting. And then he needs to objectively evaluate where Zach is. IMO this will have to be done at seasons end so Rodgers replacement can be found if Zach doesn’t turn his game around.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

If they are serious about winning a Super Bowl this year, trade for Davante Adams before the deadline.

Jimmy G is an injury-prone checkdown artist with a career ADoT of like 3 yards.

Next in line is Aidan O'Connell.

Raiders are going to suck really bad and "Tae" will be miserable. 

Time for JD to go "all in" 😃 and for the Raiders tanking for the #1 pick in a supposedly strong '24 QB class makes all the sense in the world.

Oooh now you've done it sir just wait till @Raideraholic peeps this and lectures you on why the Raiders are SB contenders for the 20th straight year

2 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

It'd be the first time we re-sign a first round pick since what Wilkerson? Depressing.

Even more depressing:  When's the last time we re-signed a 1st round pick to a 2nd contract and it actually worked out well for us in the end?  Can't really argue it did with Revis.  So that means you have to go back to Brick and Mangold.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, GangGreened said:

Not finish last in the AFCE for the first time 

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

Beat me to it.

The answer is absolutely "win".

Enough talk about JD's supposed greatness, lets see it on the field winning lots of games for a change.

JD and Saleh are like John Gotte.  Teflon.

I've never seen such under performance accompanied by such support.

So yes.... this is the year of reckoning.

1 hour ago, bonkertons said:

Now that you put it that way.......damn.....JD missed on a 2nd overall pick and STILL managed to build a team most consider to be a SB contender with one of the brightest futures in the league just TWO years later???  This guy is GOOD.

He will have 2 1st round busts in 3 years.  I believe Becton won't make it and Zach?? Well, he needs no words.

32 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He will have 2 1st round busts in 3 years.  I believe Becton won't make it and Zach?? Well, he needs no words.

Imagine if JD didn’t overthink his first selection as GM and went Wirfs over Becton and took the niners trade down package…

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

19 hours ago, bitonti said:

The dude drafted Zach Wilson at 2 overall 

I could go 1000 words on his hits and misses but bottom line it was the highest draft pick since Keyshawn and he biffed it 

I'll say it again and again... After the change in rookie salaries, whether they bust or not will no longer ruin a team like it did before the change. Was it a bad pick, most likely, but it's not the franchise killer it once used to be. JD has done more to make this team better than any other GM we've had, in GOD knows how long.

If the JETS don't have a winning record this year, and make the playoff's it's on Saleh and the coaching staff.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

And three booms in AVT, Sauce, and Wilson. 

I’m a big fan of JD because I like his process. I agree with the way he wants to build a team (in general), and -overall- I can see the massive improvement on the roster since he took over the helm of a team that had quite literally been run into the ground by its three previous GMs. I like the way he runs the cap, and his trades have been a net positive. No complaint about the Rodgers trade, for instance, can negate the haul he got for The Prez. 

Everybody misses in the draft. League wide, the majority of picks bust and the majority of drafted players if/when they sign a second contract sign it with a different team. This includes first rounders. 

Rooting very hard for Becton to succeed this year. JD’s first draft is much maligned, almost as if someone can’t get better at something after the first time they do it. Not having a worldwide pandemic at the time might’ve helped, too. 

We can bitch and moan about individual moves, but he’s taken a team that had the longest postseason drought when he took over and has taken the slow and steady route to making this team competitive. There’s no bigger story in the league right now than the expectations for the Jets. Exciting time to be a fan. But yes, the wins need to come this year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, jgb said:

Imagine if JD didn’t overthink his first selection as GM and went Wirfs over Becton and took the niners trade down package…

I don’t believe he was ever offered a trade from the 49ers. That went down while the Jets were in attendance at Zach’s pro day, and they seemed genuinely surprised by it. 

Like most, I also would’ve taken the safer, higher floor Wirfs over the home run swing with Becton. He seems to have matured quite a bit in the last year or so, and is in the best physical shape of his life right now. I’d love nothing more than to see him put it all together this year - even if he winds up leaving the team in free agency when all is said and done. 

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t believe he was ever offered a trade from the 49ers. That went down while the Jets were in attendance at Zach’s pro day, and they seemed genuinely surprised by it. 

Like most, I also would’ve taken the safer, higher floor Wirfs over the home run swing with Becton. He seems to have matured quite a bit in the last year or so, and is in the best physical shape of his life right now. I’d love nothing more than to see him put it all together this year - even if he winds up leaving the team in free agency when all is said and done. 

I hope for the best with Becton. I’d take one great year over none, even though that means he walks.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

And three booms in AVT, Sauce, and Wilson. 

I’m a big fan of JD because I like his process. I agree with the way he wants to build a team (in general), and -overall- I can see the massive improvement on the roster since he took over the helm of a team that had quite literally been run into the ground by its three previous GMs. I like the way he runs the cap, and his trades have been a net positive. No complaint about the Rodgers trade, for instance, can negate the haul he got for The Prez. 

Everybody misses in the draft. League wide, the majority of picks bust and the majority of drafted players if/when they sign a second contract sign it with a different team. This includes first rounders. 

Rooting very hard for Becton to succeed this year. JD’s first draft is much maligned, almost as if someone can’t get better at something after the first time they do it. Not having a worldwide pandemic at the time might’ve helped, too. 

We can bitch and moan about individual moves, but he’s taken a team that had the longest postseason drought when he took over and has taken the slow and steady route to making this team competitive. There’s no bigger story in the league right now than the expectations for the Jets. Exciting time to be a fan. But yes, the wins need to come this year. 

Yup to all of this.  People who don't like JD love bringing up the W-L record, the 2020 class, and Zach Wilson while simultaneously failing to acknowledge how much better the future outlook is even if we don't currently have the QB position figured out for the long-term (something only a little more than a handful of franchises have at the moment anyways).  

Probably the most telling signs of a well-run franchise are these 2 factors:  1) Low dead money; and 2) # of homegrown players getting signed to 2nd deals.  We already know that Douglas has kept the dead cap very low compared to his predecessors.

As far as the 2nd contracts go:  For over a decade prior to JD's arrival (2008-2019), only 2 players were drafted who ended up either receiving or proving worthy of receiving a 2nd contract by the team:  Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinnen Williams.  

Under Douglas at least THREE players have been drafted who already appear more than worthy of a 2nd contract (AVT, Sauce, Garrett Wilson).

There's a lot more reasons for optimism under JD than there are reasons for pessimism, even for those who just can't get past the Zach pick or the 2020 class.

15 hours ago, jgb said:

Wirfs played right tackle with a qb who was an expert in getting rid of the ball in two seconds.  I look forward to seeing wirfs getting exposed this season with baker mayfield and Kyle Trask

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Wirfs played right tackle with a qb who was an expert in getting rid of the ball in two seconds.  I look forward to seeing wirfs getting exposed this season with baker mayfield and Kyle Trask

Call me when Wirfs doesn’t play for two seasons and almost eats himself out of the league.

17 minutes ago, jgb said:

Call me when Becton does

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

I'd rather a RT who plays than a LT who doesn't.  But I at least get the logic of the pick if JD didn't think Wirfs could handle LT.

It was a big swing pick when he probably should have just taken the layup.  He was looking for the next Ogden and it failed miserably.  Sucks.  

Oh and as @T0mShane has noted numerous times, Gase wanted Lamb!  That would have been even better (though would that mean Garrett Wilson wouldn't be here?).  :) 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

I'd rather a RT who plays than a LT who doesn't.  But I at least get the logic of the pick if JD didn't think Wirfs could handle LT.

It was a big swing pick when he probably should have just taken the layup.  He was looking for the next Ogden and it failed miserably.  Sucks.  

Oh and as @T0mShane has noted numerous times, Gase wanted Lamb!  That would have been even better.  :) 

I wanted Wirfs because Wirfs is the one who is the physical freak.  People get excited about Becton because he is so big, but basically they are giving him credit for standing upright. Wirfs is the one who tore up the combine.  Fant is more finesse LT than RT in my view and they would have been better served selecting RT than LT.  I think Becton kind of profiles to the right side as much as Wirfs anyway.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

I wanted Wirfs because Wirfs is the one who is the physical freak.  People get excited about Becton because he is so big, but basically they are giving him credit for standing upright. Wirfs is the one who tore up the combine.  Fant is more finesse LT than RT in my view and they would have been better served selecting RT than LT.  I think Becton kind of profiles to the right side as much as Wirfs anyway.  

I.  AM.  A.  LEFT.  TACKLE.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I.  AM.  A.  LEFT.  TACKLE.

Also I know Becton didn't do many tests but he graded out well too, no?

Mekhi-Becton-RAS-20205.png?w=806&ssl=1

Likely that he would not have scored as well as Wirfs though, obv:

Tristan-Wirfs-RAS-20159.png?w=806&ssl=1

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

The dude drafted Zach Wilson at 2 overall 

I could go 1000 words on his hits and misses but bottom line it was the highest draft pick since Keyshawn and he biffed it 

Get over it!  GMs miss all the time.  It’s the nature of the NFL game.  Plus the QBs available to the Jets have not exactly shined, outside Justin Fields when it comes to his running ability (his passing has a long way to go).

JD missed going for the home run during an abnormal COVID cycle when it was tougher to get full reads on QBs playing in front of empty crowds.  The same people who cry we need a franchise QB cry when we took a shot at someone with huge upside.

Big miss!  Lessons learned.

JD has hit big since missing on Wilson, parlaying that into acquiring an angry Aaron Rodgers.

It’s time to move on from the 2021 draft & Zach Wilson.

I get it.  The Jets need to win and they better or people should and will lose jobs.  We should all be hopeful the Jets turn into the 49ers who also missed BIG (much bigger than the Jets) on Trey Lance, given what they have up to acquire him.  

22 hours ago, C Mart said:

Also as for Ashtyn Davis, Hall & Mims (and we know Becton) this is the last year of their contracts.  Perhaps Douglas wants to keep them on the roster through the end of the year, allow them to sign elsewhere next March which would help in obtaining compensatory picks for '25

Obviously if you can get a 4th or 5th rounder for any of them (unlikely) you do it - provided you have a suitable replacement/upgrade for them on the 53.

As discussed here - Davis is good for special teams..Boyer knows him and his role. 

imo there are two obvious differences between Hall & Davis:

- Davis is a special teams regular (I can't call them "starters" -- I just can't). Hall isn't.

- They may be waiting for the light to suddenly go on with Davis after a few yrs post-college, where he could actually find himself starting on defense. Could say the same for Hall, except there's nobody for him to bump even if he does.

- CB has more value than safety; or anyway I used to think so before Douglas did the Seahawks dirty for Adams.

- I can't see them simply stashing Hall at $2.7MM. It was one thing when it was 1/3 of that, but he's gone out of his way to seek $2MM pay cuts from actual starters; it'd make no sense to leave an extra $2MM on the table for a player who's only rarely on the active/gameday roster.

At this point, it pays to leave them both alone as they are. There are weeks of preseason/TC where players all over the league - including the Jets - might get injured. One or both may find their respective values rise (here or as trade bait) if/when that occurs. If someone comes knocking next week, fine. But for now, they're under the cap & the rosters are way up at 90 so there's no rush to do anything.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yup to all of this.  People who don't like JD love bringing up the W-L record, the 2020 class, and Zach Wilson while simultaneously failing to acknowledge how much better the future outlook is even if we don't currently have the QB position figured out for the long-term (something only a little more than a handful of franchises have at the moment anyways).  

Probably the most telling signs of a well-run franchise are these 2 factors:  1) Low dead money; and 2) # of homegrown players getting signed to 2nd deals.  We already know that Douglas has kept the dead cap very low compared to his predecessors.

As far as the 2nd contracts go:  For over a decade prior to JD's arrival (2008-2019), only 2 players were drafted who ended up either receiving or proving worthy of receiving a 2nd contract by the team:  Muhammad Wilkerson and Quinnen Williams.  

Under Douglas at least THREE players have been drafted who already appear more than worthy of a 2nd contract (AVT, Sauce, Garrett Wilson).

There's a lot more reasons for optimism under JD than there are reasons for pessimism, even for those who just can't get past the Zach pick or the 2020 class.

Dude they are wildly overpaying Rodgers and have no 1st Rd pick 

What future outlook? It's all in on the next year maybe 2

when it's revealed that Rodgers is a seriously declined 40 year old not even above average anymore it's all over for JD 

• Thumb Down 1