Did Becton fail a Combine drug test?

I was watching the BR coverage of his draft, they said he failed his Combine drug test.

Later Rapoport denied it. Watching his highlights it confirmed my opinion,

Becton is a lazy player who resorts to using his long arms to shoving players away

when his feet stop

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 2
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 2

21 minutes ago, hmhertz said:

I was watching the BR coverage of his draft, they said he failed his Combine drug test.

Later Rapoport denied it. Watching his highlights it confirmed my opinion,

Becton is a lazy player who resorts to using his long arms to shoving players away

when his feet stop

Top notch trolling. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jgb said:

He smoked dope. In and of itself not a big deal (except red flag for stupidity/immaturity/impulse control issues to not lay off for 2 months leading into draft) but obviously the muniches got him.

Jimmy Fallon Nod GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Apparently the munchies is a thing.  

• Haha 2

I think it is safe to say that JD, if given a chance to do that pick over, would not take Becton.  Wirfs or Lamb were the picks.  

I think Becton will drift in and out of being ok, being great sometime, and being injured.  I don't see him getting a second contract with the Jets.  I can see him signing with another team for less than top LT money, which would probably be what the Jets would have paid, but he will take that same amount for a change of scenery.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Becton will dominate this year. Book it.

He has proven to be a selectively-motivated player so if he doesn’t play well in a contract year, he never will. 

I’d never pay him a big guarantee on a multi-year deal. Risk of him getting the bag and then loafing is way too great. 

• Upvote 1

He has proven to be a selectively-motivated player so if he doesn’t play well in a contract year, he never will. 
I’d never pay him a big guarantee on a multi-year deal. Risk of him getting the bag and then loafing is way too great. 
Agreed . Contrast his motivation with Q and the risk is way higher here .. even though I do still feel a bit uneasy with a massively guaranteed Q.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Agreed . Contrast his motivation with Q and the risk is way higher here .. even though I do still feel a bit uneasy with a massively guaranteed Q.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Big guarantees are always a risk but you can limit your downside by being selective. Q is a reasonable bet, Becton is not.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:15 AM, FootballLove said:

Personally, I have not closed the book on Big Highway77.

If two little things go our way, our Oline will have a dominant Left Tackle for the next decade.

First, lets all agree that somewhere deep down inside that teddy bear body of his, he has the talent to be a top LT. He has the genetics to be light on his feet, giant powerful hands, and the sheer mass to inflict his will on a small defender.

What's missing: First, dedication to his career, He needs to dedicate his life to staying 100% dialed in, ,and not just on game day. But home to when away from Jets 1 drive, Becton struggles with prioritizing his daily activities. While his trainer wants him in the gym 6am for a grueling cardio work, he opts out to have breakfast with his wife and new baby. So he missed a good cardio workout to help those pounds fall off, and instead shoved a 4 egg omlette with pound of butter fried mam, 6 thick slabs 0f swiss cheese topped with full pound of bacon.

And then shows up to camp weighing in at 420 pounds! So fat and out of shape Saleh sent him off to the sidelines.

But something happened on the way to the gridiron. Becton fathered a baby son. Most here recall how the thing in life that jerked us out of childhood and firmly planted us in the land of adults is that first little bundle of joy. From this season forward, we will see a Sevel Becton with a huge chip on his now-sculpted mammoth shoulders. 

Also Saleh shutting down his "I.AM.A.LEFT.TACKLE" with 'go earn it' has lit a huge fire under his huge ass.

Just Me: Mount Becton will play all 17 games at a high level at Right Tackle, and shift over if Big Boy Brown does down. We as fans will be very pleased with how well he performed. All the "Becton sucks and should be traded' fans will call it fluck and demand to see it for another season before ordering up a steaming hot plate of crow

In short, Mecchi Becton will be a great tackle for us.

And it a contract year for him. He’s either going to light it up of become a big chuma endoga.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

And it a contract year for him. He’s either going to light it up of become a big chuma endoga.

He’s tried hard exactly twice in his pro career — cramming to get in shape before the combine and then doing the same headed into this contract year. He just has a very close horizon of perceived consequences. When the potential reward is *right there* he puts in the work. When it’s years away, not so much.

One can hope that he plays well and the light goes on and he realizes that sustained effort is what it takes to succeed in this league, but if I’m JD I’m letting another team test that hope.

He’s tried hard exactly twice in his pro career — cramming to get in shape before the combine and then doing the same headed into this contract year. He just has a very close horizon of perceived consequences. When the potential reward is *right there* he puts in the work. When it’s years away, not so much.
One can hope that he plays well and the light goes on and he realizes that sustained effort is what it takes to succeed in this league, but if I’m JD I’m letting another team test that hope.
I thought he played pretty well his rookie year at a very important position. I have faith in that freak athleticism and (hopefully) his love of money.
  • Upvote 1

On 6/28/2023 at 6:53 PM, bicketybam said:
On 6/28/2023 at 5:13 PM, jgb said:

I thought he played pretty well his rookie year at a very important position. I have faith in that freak athleticism and (hopefully) his love of money.

He may play well this year for the reasons you state but I sure wouldn’t sign him to a long term deal even if he’s great this year. Most likely he’s at best OK. Two years off the field would be hard for anyone — even those with unquestioned work ethics — to get right back in it at a high level.

Here’s how I handicap his future with the team after this season (from most to least likely):

-We just let him walk in FA

-We offer him a low ball contract, he gets insulted and walks.

-We tag him, he gets pissed, and we try to trade him.

-We tag him and he acknowledges he has a lot left to prove and good soldiers it

-We sign him to a big money long term deal